The Avengers The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

The Avengers is pure unadulterated comic book goodness on film. The ying to TDK trilogys yang in the best way possible. It has such energy and confidence it's hard not to fall in love with it.

The best superhero film ever made next to TDK trilogy. They are equals.

It's a good movie but I couldn't help feeling a bit disappointed afterwards. I'm in a phase in my where life where I value good story and character development in movies, especially superhero-movies, and the Avengers is lacking in both. That's, of course, the point of the 'prequels', so they didn't have to worry about it, when making the Avengers. But with all the hype and anticipation I was just hoping for... more.
In end there's really nothing new in this movie, and it ends up feeling like one of the prequels with a little bigger action scenes and less story and character development.
I find solace in the fact that a superhero-movie of this magnitude had that much succes and was even possible, and the promise that makes for the future of the genre. This opens doors for even more and better superhero-movies with bigger budgets for better writers and actors. We're entering some exciting times if you're into that stuff.

Almost every single character in the film has an arc.

@Endeavor: the construction there has made a good progress, so, the house, the buildings, farmers, the temples has already been re-build, and the activity slowly re-emerge and become normal again...
although the trauma still hangs, but the spirit and prayer from around the country had helped the people and constructions there ...

the nuclear things hasn't become a major impact nowdays (though the radiation stills become a major problem especially for the people who lives near Tohoku in north, but at least not as worrying as the first it leaked..hopefully as our new prime minister promised when he elected again last december, the reactor could be fully cooled off by the end of 2016), Now, everyday, i watch the news or newspaper, the problem concerns more about Island dispute..><
:up:
Good to know rebuilding and healing are on track.

I just watched The Avengers again for the first time since I saw it in the theater and I came out of it feeling less then satisfied the second time around.

I don't know, I just didn't have any emotional connection to the characters at all, so I didn't really feel like any of it meant anything. There's was really no depth to the character interactions, it was all just service level. The whole "they are such a dysfunctional team that needs to learn how to work together" was so flimsy to me and it didn't come that the characters were nuanced or had real emotional depth, they were just a-hole's to each other.

I think the prior origin movies were also to blame, especially with Captain American and Thor. They didn't really do a good job of providing that connection or depth to the characters stories they seemed like they were just leading up to The Avengers.

I don't know, maybe it may also be because I didn't really read these characters comics when I was younger. I was strictly an X-Men fan, so I may also be comparing it to that, especially First Class which I loved the relationships the characters had with each other - especially Xavier, Erik and Mystique. The connection between them, and the other characters in that movie, were just there and just so strong and visceral.

I'm very much in the minority but whatever,I still think Avengers is overall the best CBM ever or at least it's my personal favorite,And yes I've read Avenger comics since I was a kid and so I'm not just some casual fan

I'm very much in the minority but whatever,I still think Avengers is overall the best CBM ever or at least it's my personal favorite,And yes I've read Avenger comics since I was a kid and so I'm not just some casual fan

You aren't the minority. I consider it the best as well. Well, tied with TDK trilogy.

It's a good movie but I couldn't help feeling a bit disappointed afterwards. I'm in a phase in my where life where I value good story and character development in movies, especially superhero-movies, and the Avengers is lacking in both.

In end there's really nothing new in this movie, and it ends up feeling like one of the prequels with a little bigger action scenes and less story and character development.

The phase you're in is called adulthood :funny:

I just saw this for the 1.2nd time (I lasted about 20 minutes the first time, but I was seriously tired).

I found it to be pathetic. It has a decent cast (except Renner), and much of the comicbook imagery is well realised. But everything else was, in my opinion, so superficial and lightweight that I almost found it difficult to keep my eyes on the screen. It was like a menagerie of 200 mediocre moments from 200 mediocre movies.

Its only real merit- in my opinion- is getting a number of comicbook heroes on the screen at the same time. I find it depressing that the first attempt to do this was so hollow and vapid.

In my opinion, etc.

I just had it on for around half hour and feel the same. Some okay comedy and great action does not alone make a great movie.

I just watched The Avengers again for the first time since I saw it in the theater and I came out of it feeling less then satisfied the second time around.

I don't know, I just didn't have any emotional connection to the characters at all, so I didn't really feel like any of it meant anything. There's was really no depth to the character interactions, it was all just service level. The whole "they are such a dysfunctional team that needs to learn how to work together" was so flimsy to me and it didn't come that the characters were nuanced or had real emotional depth, they were just a-hole's to each other.

I think the prior origin movies were also to blame, especially with Captain American and Thor. They didn't really do a good job of providing that connection or depth to the characters stories they seemed like they were just leading up to The Avengers.

I don't know, maybe it may also be because I didn't really read these characters comics when I was younger. I was strictly an X-Men fan, so I may also be comparing it to that, especially First Class which I loved the relationships the characters had with each other - especially Xavier, Erik and Mystique. The connection between them, and the other characters in that movie, were just there and just so strong and visceral.

Agreed :up:

There felt to be no story just a plot an very little character development. I felt no connection or care for them. Hate how Stark insulted Cap the whole movie then said 'he lives up to the legend'. How Loki was bad, just because. The comedy was just one-liners and mostly not funny after the first viewing.
The effects were great as was the cast, but other than that there was nothing "great".

Though i enjoyed those solo movies, they had story and motivation for the characters.

It's definitely one of my favorite CBM, too. I don't think its my favorite, but it's up there in the top 5 for sure. I think I'll watch it later tonight on Netflix. ;)

All hail The Avengers... Best Comic Book movie Ever....
I know Xmen DoFP is out, and its an amazing movie.....lets not forget the build up to The Avengers....and the overall impact it made on the Comic Book Movie Genre.....you have DC scrambling to find and match a kind of universe that Marvel made.....it took alot of character development from the other movies to make this the best film ever in my opinion.....

The best part about the Marvel movies are the characters. The audience in general have really connected to them on an emotional level. I really don't understand how anybody can claim that the characters don't have depth.

I've noticed, since X-Men DOFP came out, people have all of a sudden been dissing Avengers to up X-Men's whatever. I don't get it. If someone enjoys something, why do they feel as if they have to put something else down to make the other thing more superior or whatever?

I've noticed, since X-Men DOFP came out, people have all of a sudden been dissing Avengers to up X-Men's whatever. I don't get it. If someone enjoys something, why do they feel as if they have to put something else down to make the other thing more superior or whatever?

It's always like that.

Its trolling 101. I think it is on the first page of the manual. Step 1 Make random comments on alternate comic book property forums to keep up with production. Step 2 Rate movie (not too low, but not too high either). Step 3 wait for release of your favorite comic book movie. Step 4 return to previous said forums and trash talk them during your movies release to give your property the most "cred" or "buzz".

Insecurity.

As much as I loved Days of Future Past, I still think The Avengers is the better film. Oops. :cwink:

Sure, the story in The Avengers isn't complex, but that's because it needed to keep things more simple for the team's first outing. The first Avengers film did exactly what it should have done: focus on the team up, and show how these strong and flawed personalities come together to fight the bigger evil. The sequels can now get into the juicy stuff in terms of the plot.

It has been two years, and The Avengers is still among my most-favorite comic book movies. You can just tell how much fun and glee was put into making it. If there was ever a movie to make me feel like a kid again, it's this one. I see this movie as a celebration of comic books and superheroes, and that makes me happy!

Oh, that post is just dripping with repulsive positivity and happiness. To the dungeons with ye! :cmad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"