The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!)

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Spider-Fan, Apr 14, 2012.

?

Rating for The Avengers?

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

11. 10

12. 9

13. 8

14. 7

15. 6

16. 5

17. 4

18. 3

19. 2

20. 1

21. 10

22. 9

23. 8

24. 7

25. 6

26. 5

27. 4

28. 3

29. 2

30. 1

31. 10

32. 9

33. 8

34. 7

35. 6

36. 5

37. 4

38. 3

39. 2

40. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ajendo Registered

I here ya. To me the story was simple and straight forward. Loki's embittered about not being king so he finds a world he believes he can rule over, Earth and he enlists an army to help him in his conquest, the price being Loki refreshing and handing over the Tasseract. Now of course, Earth isn't just going to sit there and be invaded, hence the Avengers group up and fight off the invasion. Simple and straightforward.

2. Nathan Registered

I'm still hoping that the plan to conquer earth, was nothing more than a ploy to get Thor away from Asgard. I really liked when he said in Thor "I never wanted to be King! I just wanted to be your equal!", so the fact that he suddenly wants to rule over a bunch of humans bothered me a bit. I want him to have a grand vengeance scheme, and ****ing over [BLACKOUT]Thanos[/BLACKOUT] and using his army, to be part of that plan.

3. Raiden Wakanda Forever

The problem with your idea is that if Loki's plan was to get Thor away from Asgard so he can invade it, it would be a far better story to be used in Thor 2 than in The Avengers, unless you think the Avengers should make a trip to Asgard to help Thor defend his homeland. I don't think it would work in this movie, quite frankly.

4. Nathan Registered

I don't want the Avengers in Thor 2. I just want events to have taken place, that Thor wasn't able to prevent, because he was on earth at the time in Avengers.

5. ElMariachi Bald to the Bone

Could Avengers 2 be Thanos sacking Asgard, getting the Infinity Gauntlet, and fighting the Avengers there?

6. Matt Mortem Karloff is King

I don't know if the Avengers would be fighting in Asgard, I'd prefer they do battle in a brand new locale, but I certainly could foresee Thanos sacking Asgard to get the gauntlet.

7. kay128 Registered

I think the plot isn't as simple as it appears.

Every character has a different motivation in the story. Whedon gives each of them a past and a background and they are on stage for a different reason. This is key in their interaction.

I don't think Loki's motivation is global domination of Earth at all. Pay attention to his scenes with Thor.
    I think his motivation is to exact revenge on Thor and world conquest is the means to achieve this as Thor has some affinity with Earth.

Also, I think that this is not the end of Loki. He is a master manipulator and the god of lies. He has not lost anything from the events of the Avengers. He uses the Chitauri to invade Earth, not his own army. He unleashes a powerful weapon that has the potential to destroy Earth, the Hulk. Wasn't that his original intention? And he survives at the end. It is possible that Loki is still pulling the strings at the end, and the involvement of Thanos is intentional from Loki's end.

8. hitmanyr2k Resident Lurker

Agreed. I said this same thing about James Cameron's movies during Avatar's 15 minutes of fame when people were complaining about the story because it wasn't complex enough. Movies like The Terminator, T2, and Aliens are some of my all-time favorites but it's not like they had some intricate storyline or major plot twists. The strength in those movies (and generally any of my favorite action movies) was that they were extremely well executed in the character moments and the action. I'm not against a film having an ambitious story but characters take priority over everything. A movie can have the best story in the world with all kinds of twists and turns but if I'm not digging the characters in the first place it's going to be meaningless to me.

9. Chewy REDACTED

The majority of Hollywood films have simple stories. It's the nature of the medium. Really even stuff like TDK is fairly straightforward. Films like this rise or fall on the strength of their scripts and characters, and the conviction of all involved.

10. Lunar_Wolf WTF face

I just remembered a scene I loved

Hulk jumping on the jet. The pilot tries to escape and Hulk grabs him, waving him about while screaming. Also when the plane explodes and Hulk gets blasted away made me laugh.

11. Bruce Malone Registered

Okay anyone here see the movie in Imax 3d? How was it? or even just the regular 3d how was the conversion?

12. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I saw it in IMAX 3D, and that's the way I'm seeing it again. I could take or leave the 3D, but it was worth it to see it in IMAX. And since it's only got those IMAX screens for a week, that's the way I'd recommend it. I wouldn't pay for the regular 3D, though. Once it leaves the IMAX screens, I'm gonna be all about the regular 2D shows.

13. Bruce Malone Registered

^^^

Yeah i've already got my imax 3d tix reserved and that's good to here i'm mainly going for the imax as well.

14. El Payaso Registered

I think 4 previous movies did that.

15. DyeLorean will return

Saw it again today. So much win. So much. I went with a couple, friends of mine, we always go to the movies, they were blown away.

I noticed this time how the movie slowly builds up. Starts very small, and it gets layer by layer, getting better and better.

The introduction to each character in action is masterful. Cap with the shield against Loki, Iron Man with Shoot to Thrill, Thor in the middle of the lightning storm, Hulk fighting Thor. It just works.

My God, there are so many good scenes, so many highlights, so many iconic images. To be honest, I would've liked more interaction with the characters. Not because they are not enough, but because it was so fun to listen them argue, or just talking.

I also noticed there's a scene from the trailers that's not in the movie. Cap throwing the shield to the camera, like in his solo movie.

16. JAK® Upstart

And Whedon continued those stories and executed them perfectly while introducing some new ones (Fury, Black Widow & Hawkeye)

17. First Avenger Registered

Just out of curiosity,how many people have problems with the opening scene?

18. bonzob2000 Registered

Do you mean the very first scene or the pre-credits sequence? If you mean the first scene, I thought it was fine. Maybe not the most exciting way to open your blockbuster movie, but it got the job done. If you mean the whole pre-credits sequence, I'm kind of surprised it's getting as much hate as it is. It's only weakness to me was that the later scenes kept getting better. But I thought in general it [BLACKOUT]was an awesome looking set, some of Sam Jackson's best acting in the movie, lots of good dialogue, a solid chase, Maria Hill's best moments, a cool crater effect[/BLACKOUT]... it's a perfectly strong opening. I didn't get the "uh oh, this is gonna suck" vibe that some reviewers have mentioned at all. I guess some beats were a tad generic? And yeah, there was a fair amount of exposition dialogue, but I thought it was pretty painless, considering.

19. JAK® Upstart

The opening scene isn't as good as the rest of the movie in hindsight. But that's because the movie escalates from start to finish. Each scene builds on the last.

20. First Avenger Registered

Yeah I was actually talking about both scenes as a whole.

21. thalidomide The Enemy

Agreed

22. BigThor God of Thunder

This is exactly how films should go in my humble opinion. :woot:

23. SaF Registered

The only thing about the opening that threw me a little was it went straight into a space sceen, with the tesseract and Loki. I know it was needed to get some ground rules established (loki's the badie, tesseract, the army, the deal between Loki and the aliens), and I knew what was going on having seen the other MCU films, but my GA mates kept asking me stuff because they had no clue what was going on!

Once it got into the base scene I was amazed, I kept thinking 'wow this is one hell of a way to start a film!' I really liked it, and yeah Samuel Jackson had some epic moments in it.

hehe one thing that made me smile on sunday when I saw it at a lunchtime showing (3rd veiwing!), ie with lots of kids, was in that opening scene when nick fury gets out of the chopper and you see him for the first time, the boy behind me (he was about 7 I think?) went "WOW!!" hehe he clearly loved nick fury and cheered whenever he came one screen, way more than the other heros which was really funny in a sweet way. =)

24. First Avenger Registered

And that's exactly what happens!

25. Ipodman Love Tension

Excellent movie... loved every bit of it! :D

IMAX is good, but 3D is useless...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.