The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!)

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Spider-Fan, Apr 14, 2012.

?

Rating for The Avengers?

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

11. 10

12. 9

13. 8

14. 7

15. 6

16. 5

17. 4

18. 3

19. 2

20. 1

21. 10

22. 9

23. 8

24. 7

25. 6

26. 5

27. 4

28. 3

29. 2

30. 1

31. 10

32. 9

33. 8

34. 7

35. 6

36. 5

37. 4

38. 3

39. 2

40. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thalidomide The Enemy

Well he doesn't really talk that much right?

2. fixxxer1022 Registered

in the past 2 movies we had he only had one line but i think some were hoping for more. other than that hulk was fantastic

3. ronny Registered

Replace the aliens with something more Earth based and I would have given it an 8 or a 9.
    Nothing wrong with the story at all, it certainly wasn't too simple.
    My main bone of contension is the inclusion of aliens and the overabundance of both action and comedy. The story was sound and at no times felt simplistic or, worse, incomprehensible.

4. Lone Non-playable character

LOL!

GTFO here, man.

5. yads Registered

Classy retort.:facepalm:

Why not just respect his opinion and move on?

6. Sharkboy Tell em Steve-Dave

I echo ronny's sentiments about more "humanized" villains. To me it came to the point where they were just moving cgi lugs to showcase each of the teams skill. Which is cool at first but then you realise once you've taken out the cool visual factor, there really is no tension at all. Truth be told this is still an "origin" story, so they get a free pass at all this stuff. I still think the chitauri was pretty much the biggest weak link of it all.

7. JAK® Upstart

Humanised villains would need more character development that the film didn't have time for. The Avenger's biggest obstacle was Loki turning them against each other, the final battle was simply them overcoming that. The Chitauri shouldn't be seen as villains in their own right, but as a weapon of the main villain, Loki. It's like saying his staff or horned helmet didn't have enough character development.

8. BigThor God of Thunder

Bingo :word:

9. Sharkboy Tell em Steve-Dave

Exactly, which is why it get's a free pass yet I personally didn't feel the tension and drama it could have had if we had gotten a little bit of background to who and what they are. That's pretty much my main and only issue with the film, once you've seen it three times the effect of the action and humour are significantly lessened and you are left with...not much to chew on, but "lack of rewatchability" isn't really a real criticism in my eyes so i guess it's just a nitpick

10. Mjölnir Guest

So you wouldn't say that action films and comedies are the movie genres that gets rewatched the most often?

11. Mercurius Merc with a mouth

I do eat all my rantings about The Avengers.

In spite of the fact that some costumes could be much, much better and all, The Avengers is a definite and unique achievement in superhero movies.

Joss Whedon's lines are simply perfect, all the characters have more than enough screentime and the pacing is rigourously spot on.

Whedon was the perfect choice: he knows this universe better than anyone, and has proven so. The movie is a superb rollercoaster, the best Avengers comic book brought to life.

9/10

12. marcvader Lurker #1

Well, well, look who's back.:yay:

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll be seeing it tomorrow for the first time.

13. Mercurius Merc with a mouth

I've enjoyed it enormously, my dear marcvader, and I bet all of you (who haven't seen it yet) will likewise enjoy it.

The dynamics of this movie is the most comicbook-like I've ever seen, and it is proud in every single scene to be so.

The crowds simply love it and respond to it accordingly. It was a great experience.

PS: I'd certainly appreciate better costumes for Cap, Hawkeye and BW (and a better art department, better cinematography and a better composer) but those are REALLY minor complaints considering the whole accomplishment of the film, which is unbelievable. And, still, maybe number 2 will bring it on. :woot:

PS2: I also loved movie references in it. There is a particular scene in which Whedon corageously recreated a LOTR one. It was truly wonderful and masterly done.

14. Shadowlord X Registered

Wow!!!

Ok, I must be still asleep in the cinema watching Inception and this is a dream within dream.

I was lurking when you were an active before.

Really glad you enjoyed the movie.

15. Nokio Registered

Well where exactly was Loki supposed to get his army from on Earth? Dear god not AIM or Hydra? A secret Nazi army that has been in waiting all these year perhaps? Namor and his people? Asgard? Create one with the Cube? What would be the difference? Loki was the original villain where the Avengers banded together in the first place. On that front it's accurate at least. To much action and comedy? It sounds more like you are against those things in general then having an actual problem with the movie. Its nothing wrong with that. It's your taste. I don't want the Avengers to be like a Nolan Batman movie. I'm not saying you do as well. I've not seen the movie yet and when i do I can offer my opinion better but it sounds like Im going to enjoy based off what I heard.

16. Xeno That's America's ass!

Okay, so you wanted an earth-based invasion army, less action and less humor. Essentially, you wanted The Avengers to be duller, blander and far more boring than it is. Well, you have any number of X-Men movies, Superman Returns and Green Lantern to choose from if you have an aversion to action and humor. Good luck to you

17. Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

Welcome back merc. Long time no see

18. Crimson King Superhero Novelista

Welcome back, Merc!

19. ronny Registered

Not an aversion at all. That would imply that I did not enjoy the jokes in The Avengers.
    I did, the scripting was wonderful and everyone had brilliant comic timing. My only problem is that there was too much, so much so that it really downplayed the threat posed to Earth.
    And the action? Again, brilliantly choreographed stuff, amazing effects, but too much.
    It was just a case of excessive humour and action.

And yes, I did want a more grounded, Earth based threat because aliens are hokey, tacky and uninteresting. And, as I said, they constantly serve only to poke fun at how weak the humans are. It's truly awful.

God knows they tried, but it's still a terrible idea.

20. marcvader Lurker #1

Is it really?

21. ronny Registered

Yep, hate aliens. So much so that it soured the entire movie for me.
    Like I said, awful.

22. Crimson King Superhero Novelista

Thor and Loki are aliens. Are they hokey and tacky?

23. ronny Registered

Mythological figures. Different thing entirely.
    Technically aliens, yes. But first and foremost they are characters from human mythology. Therefore they are valid and acceptable.

24. El Payaso Registered

No, so let's have 500 of each.

25. Son of Coul Not 100% A Dick

How are cosmic beings that make humans look weak not a stronger threat than something Earth-based would be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.