The Dark Knight Rises The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hated it less the second time around... but still think the movie falls apart after the first Batman / Bane confrontation.

TDK was full of plot contrivances, but they were easier to forgive because that film has more substance in the questions the story poses to the viewer.

How anyone thinks this is a better Batman movie than BB is beyond me really.
http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=23931953&postcount=63

Last edited:
I hated it less the second time around... but still think the movie falls apart after the first Batman / Bane confrontation.

TDK was full of plot contrivances, but they were easier to forgive because that film has more substance in the questions the story poses to the viewer.

In terms of fighting sequences, cinematography, yes. I vote TDKR

Fighting yes
Cinematography no.

I prefer the darkness and moody atmosphere of BB.

TDKR is all epic scale,and everything looking huge (hence Nolans obsession w/ IMAX), but lacking in atmosphere.

I want to see Batman crouching in alleyways, scaling the side of buildings in the rain, working in shadows, doing detective work, Batmans psychology at work, using the techniques he was taught (and forgot in TDKR) about fighting using trickery, deceipt,environment,etc...I could go on and on. BB does all this.... TDK uses it less and its pretty much completely forgotten in TDKR.

Last edited:
The issue with the storyline he had, there is no real detective work per se to be done.

Whatever detective work needed to be done was given to John Blake, which made a hell of a lot sense considering what the film ended with.

The main issue here is people being in hysterics that the film didn't fulfill their fantasies, and then some individuals imposing their opinion on others. It's a discussion here, not an exercise in dictatorship. Not you, by the way. :)

People need to get over people having different opinions, with that said I liked it more than BB.

Come at me!

Fighting yes
Cinematography no.

I prefer the darkness and moody atmosphere of BB.

TDKR is all epic scale,and everything looking huge (hence Nolans obsession w/ IMAX), but lacking in atmosphere.

I want to see Batman crouching in alleyways, scaling the side of buildings in the rain, working in shadows, doing detective work, Batmans psychology at work, using the techniques he was taught (and forgot in TDKR) about fighting using trickery, deceipt,environment,etc...I could go on and on. BB does all this.... TDK uses it less and its pretty much completely forgotten in TDKR.

This pretty much lacks in TDK and TDKR IMO.

Can anyone tell me why Bane decided to keep Batman's identity to himself the whole time? You would think that would be the first thing he would want to reveal to Gotham...

If he did that can you imagine how the City would react? Their poster boy for being rich and famous turns out to be the dude who's trying to rid the City of corruption?

Not a great move if you want people to lose hope...

The whole LOS seemed to know Batman's identity. If they wanted to reveal his identity, they could've done that in BB.

People are talking PLOT HOLES in this one.

Please tell me where are the plot holes because I didn't see any.

Did you not see when he was with Selina in the sewers taking out Bane's henchmen using shadows and the tactics he learned from the League of Shadows? What about when he used the throwing stars to take out the henchmen when Gordon was going through exile? Hell, Bane even mentions in their first confrontation that he knows all of Batman's tricks as Batman tries to throw smoke and use the darkness to get the one up on Bane.

Batman's tactics might not have been as in your face as in BB, but they were there.

People are talking PLOT HOLES in this one.

Please tell me where are the plot holes because I didn't see any.
Every movie has plot holes, I don't care which one it is....however, I can't think of any glaringly obvious ones.

After a second viewing last night, I loved it EVEN MORE. How can I rate it higher than a 10, tho?

Honestly, reading these comments you'd think we all just watched Elektra.

Batman clearly kills the truck driver.

Its not better than BB. Whoever thinks that probably jumped onto this trilogy during TDK and then went back to BB - most people didn't even know BB existed until after TDK.... not that anyone will admit that now!

I'll say this - if another director took over the reigns and handed us the movie we just saw there would have been a massive nerd boy rage across the world!!
But because it's Nolan everyone is looking for the deeper meaning in this, saying it's obvious JGL is Nightwing or something. No the meaning was that he'll be Batman, hence the new Bat Signal on MCU. SO we're expected to believe that the same Bruce who didn't want anyone else being vigilantes in TDK is ok with someone he barely knows taking over - because he drove Bruce home, idiotically and awkwardly figured out his secret, and threw a tantrum after Bruce saved the city (which wouldn't have even been a reason for Bruce as I'm sure his will was drawn up before that scene).
Bane was devolved back into henchman status immediately when Talia showed up - even his dialogue became pathetic instantly.
And if another director gave us a 30 yr old "Robin", I'd hate to think of the massive fan boy backlash.
And what happened to Ramirez (she knew Dent went nuts), Gordon's entire family knew, Reese knew Bruce was Batman - the LoS could easily have gotten to one of them, but those plot threads vanished to an unknown place... and instead we're left with a thinly terribly written Robin and Talia.

Why did Bruce come back and take the time to emblazon the bat sign on a building in painstaking detail and then set an ignition wire on thin ice that people including himself were standing on and expect Gordon to light it? Which he did - and the lot of them should have sunk then and there.
Like I said, you'd almost wonder why these characters were doing the things they did.
Its almost like Batman watched Daredevil one too many times...

It's funny... everyone I know (None of whom are Batman/Comic Book fans) are RAVING about this film.

People are going nuts on Facebook for it and having alot of fun discussing the ending.

I mean, just look at this poll as a small example:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/...t-rises-poll-what-did-you-think-spoilers.html

The general public seems to be loving it and it has great word of mouth. Even some of my friends who HATED The Dark Knight (calling it boring minus Ledger) can not get enough of this film.

That's the problem that I was saying - Nolan forgot what made the first 2 great, and instead decided to cater to the ignorant masses in this one, and in doing so, allowed himself to create a movie riddled with plot holes and spawn a 30+ yr old Robin.

quick question? How did bane know where the armory is?

Yeah right. Anyone who liked it belongs to the "ignorant masses". You should stop with those assumptions. You didn't like it, that's fine. But don't single out others who liked it as "ignorant".

Last edited:
It's funny... everyone I know (None of whom are Batman/Comic Book fans) are RAVING about this film.

People are going nuts on Facebook for it and having alot of fun discussing the ending.

I mean, just look at this poll as a small example:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/...t-rises-poll-what-did-you-think-spoilers.html

The general public seems to be loving it and it has great word of mouth. Even some of my friends who HATED The Dark Knight (calling it boring minus Ledger) can not get enough of this film.

Yep. Apparently even the Academy of Film Arts and Sciences (i.e. the Oscar voters) gave it a standing ovation last night....though that doesn't mean anything in July before the Oscar bait has been released.

I mean there has been some negative critical reaction, but most of the complaining, ironically, is from the fan community. TDK is better, but there is no denying TDKR is a good movie. I feel like it didn't live up to the hype on a site like this, but for most people who tend to group it in with all other superhero movies, it is a stand out in its ambition and scope.

And if nothing else, Anne Hathaway has shut almost all her haters up which is great, in my opinion.

Really? I thought the movie became a lot stronger after Batman and Bane's first encounter. I feel like the first hour of Bruce coming out of retirement and getting his way to that point is a little awkward. But the movie just starts clicking for me after that, well other than the gaping plot hole of [blackout]Bruce strolling back into Gotham City with no trouble and no explanation.[/blackout]

I'll be seeing it a second time tonight, myself. I'll see how that effects my opinion on the first half of the movie.

Yeah right. Anyone who liked it belongs to the "ignorant masses". You should stop with those assumptions. You didn't like it, that's fine. But don't single out others who liked it as "ignorant".

I didn't say that - I just said that Nolan didn't include the things that worked in the first movies and the movie was catered too much to non-comic fans.

I didn't say that - I just said that Nolan didn't include the things that worked in the first movies and the movie was catered too much to non-comic fans.
That's subjective. I know many comic-book geeks who have dug the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"