The Dark Knight Rises The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw, how did you like the movie Bruce_Begins?

I liked it a lot. This movie was a Nolan's take on Batman, in fact all three movies in Trilogy are batman as envisioned By Nolan. Just like Sam Raimi's Spider-Man took some liberties with the original source material and then Marc Webb has his own interpretation of Spidey.

Directors who make movies have a job- to connect with general audience, not just comic book fans, so they may provide an adaption of comic, which is perfectly alright.

And TDKR feels most comic booky movie that Nolan has made so far.

Many nods to various elements that exist in Batman comics, like Lazarus pit, Bane's back story, nod to Robin, nod to many graphic novels like Bane of Demon, Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, Batman : knightfall.

I was thoroughly entertained, the script could have been tighter maybe a rewrite in some parts would have helped similarly I wanted the third act to be a bit longer, maybe extra 15 minutes.

But overall I got the movie that I imagined, couldn't have asked anything more. a fitting end to Nolan's Batman trilogy.

I hope WB waits for some time before rebooting (a restart would be a better term, no need to show origin again.)

But right now, I am having a hard time imagining who can fill the shoes of Nolan, Wally Pfister (Director of Photography.) and the star cast of Bale, Caine, Oldman and freeman.

I hope they don't plan on doing the origin again. Totally unnecessary. Maybe flashbacks to the night of the murder or w/e but not an hour of it.

I liked it a lot. This movie was a Nolan's take on Batman, in fact all three movies in Trilogy are batman as envisioned By Nolan. Just like Sam Raimi's Spider-Man took some liberties with the original source material and then Marc Webb has his own interpretation of Spidey.

Directors who make movies have a job- to connect with general audience, not just comic book fans, so they may provide an adaption of comic, which is perfectly alright.

And TDKR feels most comic booky movie that Nolan has made so far.

Many nods to various elements that exist in Batman comics, like Lazarus pit, Bane's back story, nod to Robin, nod to many graphic novels like Bane of Demon, Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, Batman : knightfall.

I was thoroughly entertained, the script could have been tighter maybe a rewrite in some parts would have helped similarly I wanted the third act to be a bit longer, maybe extra 15 minutes.

But overall I got the movie that I imagined, couldn't have asked anything more. a fitting end to Nolan's Batman trilogy.

I hope WB waits for some time before rebooting (a restart would be a better term, no need to show origin again.)

But right now, I am having a hard time imagining who can fill the shoes of Nolan, Wally Pfister (Director of Photography.) and the star cast of Bale, Caine, Oldman and freeman.

agreed. the next batman will have to be somewhat of a departure to avoid comparison, which makes sense if the plan is for him to fit a JLA world if there is in fact a plan to make a DC Cinematic Universe

The way I see this film is very akin to how I view ROTJ without BB actually being as good as A New Hope is. It's just like Star Wars with a redundant, silly and kind of daft but still entertaining third installment.

The way I see this film is very akin to how I view ROTJ without BB actually being as good as A New Hope is. It's just like Star Wars with a redundant, silly and kind of daft but still entertaining third installment.

I could definitely feel the fatigue setting in. And some sillier elements seemed to be creeping in.

I hope they don't plan on doing the origin again. Totally unnecessary. Maybe flashbacks to the night of the murder or w/e but not an hour of it.

I'm sure they could explain Batman and Bruce Wayne in a creative way without going through the whole origin journey again. Flashbacks and explanations during a fast-paced, exciting plot would be ideal.

Batman's got to be vital and dynamic again, as a character, an action hero, a franchise. Okay, Nolan got to wind his version down, but it's time for Batman to be a badass again.

The endings of The Dark Knight Rises and Return of the Jedi face similar problems. First, all the awesome bad guys go out like punks, and the guy in the face mask is given a lame exit. All you can think is "that's all they were, just some pathetic weirdo?"

Then in Return of the Jedi you have the ending of the party. It makes sense but the whole time you're thinking "are they such dukees they are celebrating killing all those people?"

Then in The Dark Knight Rises it makes sense but it's like "did he really just pull that d*** move on Alfred?"

This still is, in my opinion, the funnest installment. It was to me like a dark comedy and really pulpy and comicy. It just clearly is my third favorite though. Clearly.

Last edited:
The endings of The Dark Knight Rises and Return of the Jedi face similar problems. First, all the awesome bad guys go out like punks, and the guy in the face mask is given a lame exit. All you can think is "that's all they were, just some pathetic weirdo?"

Vader died saving his son's life and defeating the Emperor. But not before revealing to his son that he was essentially proud and that he was right about him; that his son's selflessness had reminded him what it is to be human again. He see's his son through his own eyes for the first and last time and succumbs to his wounds practically dieing in his son's arms. And this is lame to you?

I fail to see how the end of ROTJ portrayed Vader as a "pathetic weirdo".

I say at least show the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne, so newcomers to the Batman world will understand what drove Bruce to become Batman

ROTJ is a lot better as a movie and way more satisfying as an ending than TDKR is, imo.

I don't see comparisons to rotj .... But i do see comparisons with rots

ROTJ is a lot better as a movie and way more satisfying as an ending than TDKR is, imo.

You know the imo part? No one cares. Absolutely no one gives a **** about your opinion. Leave it out.

Jedi's ending was a massive cop out.

I AM THE EMPEROR! I AM ALL-POWER---WHA??? YOU'RE THROWING ME DOWN AN ELEVATOR SHAFT? NOOOOOOOOO!!

Return of the Jedi was a completely uninspired mess of a film. Remains the worst Star Wars film to date.

Here's something I wrote immediately after watching TDKR

I'll start by saying the opening scene was about as unnecessary as flashbacks get, especially since after the initial action sequence it delves right into the impact the Harvey Dent lie has had on the city. It's a minor quibble, but I can't really see any justification for its inclusion.

I don't understand why or buy into the fact that Bruce would be so downtrodden after the events of The Dark Knight that he would purposely allow his abilities and his functionality to diminish. It just doesn't make sense. Yes, he's perceived to be a villain, but at the same time why would that stop him from going after other seedy elements of Gotham's dark underbelly? Surely, he would have the foresight to know that Batman would be called on again.

I found myself enjoying many moments or sequences, but they'd always be accompanied by something cringe-inducing or face-palm worthy. What really annoyed me was the fact that people would make impossible connections in identifying who Batman really was, but for what ever reason Catwoman was completely oblivious, even when Bruce pulled the ole Peter Parker bs line about being friends with Batman.

The climax hurt the most. I'm not sure why Batman thought shooting towards a highly unstable nuclear device was a prudent course of action nor do I understand why the film decided to ruin an otherwise perfect ending by tacking on a sentimental and logically impossible one. I don't think studio interference is to blame, so that one's on Nolan.

I think I was watching the clock more than watching the movie. I just couldn't wait for it to be over. I might give it a second chance this weekend, but I'm in no hurry to do so.

6.5/10

Y'know I agree on the exile thing. I don't get why he couldn't use the view that he's a villain as a tool. He could've surely continued fighting for a while longer before calling time due to his body not being able to take the heat. Disappearing completely didn't really make much sense.

Selina not knowing didn't really bother me at all. She's not a detective, she's a burglar and to be honest didn't give a bat's ash about who the Batman might be. He'd been gone for 8 years.

Just something I'd like to point out. I ****ing hate the word face-palm. It's more condescending than anything out there. No matter how much I hate stuff (eg. Transformers), face-palming is reserved for egomaniacs who think they can do **** better.

The climax could've been better sure, but given the amount of time he had, what else could he have done? Leave the bomb to blow? He flies it away. Not rocket science.

I didn't watch the clock AT ALL. In fact, that's a lie. I did. Because I was concerned there was too much in too little time.

It's still a 9/10 for me.

I never ever look at the clock during the first viewing of a film. I don't want to know how far in I am, especially when I really enjoy it.

I clock-watched last during Green Lantern and even that because I was so disappointed at how quickly it finished without much actually happening. What a let down of a film that was.

I've never seen Green Lantern and I probably never will.

It wasn't THAT bad. The space stuff was pretty cool... shame it was only about 10% of the movie.

You know the imo part? No one cares. Absolutely no one gives a **** about your opinion. Leave it out.

Jedi's ending was a massive cop out.

I AM THE EMPEROR! I AM ALL-POWER---WHA??? YOU'RE THROWING ME DOWN AN ELEVATOR SHAFT? NOOOOOOOOO!!

Wow. We're allowed to dislike the movie, even HATE the movie. You can disagree with people, but it's no excuse to be such a jerk.

But maybe I'm sympathetic to Ualaa because I agree with him/her.

There are certainly cutesy things about ROTJ that can be mocked, but Vader's death IMO IMO IMO is way more cinematic and emotional than anything that happened in TDKR. And I agree that ROTJ is a much, much better movie as a whole IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO.

I understand the urgency of the situation with the bomb, but it still seemed awful risky to fire towards a nuclear device. Almost became a self-fulling prophecy moment there.

Honestly, I'm afraid to watch the film again, because I know there's plenty more to criticize and pick-apart, and I'd rather just leave the film thinking that it was merely 'okay' and not a complete mess of a film, which I not so secretly suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"