The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, Aug 5, 2012.

1. hockeyboy89

hockeyboy89 Well-Known Member

Now that I've seen it three times, I enjoyed it much more. The first time I hated it. The Bane/Talia twist was lousy. Alfred leaving (you still haven't given up on me......never, or until you're too old and cranky......... then I'll leave). Bruce taking a vacation while Gotham needs him the most was foolish.

It wasn't until talking to a coworker I realized my issues with it. I knew too much about Batman and his history. If I just took this at face value for a stand alone movie, it's fine. I'd have let Talia escape......I mean show her preggo at the LOS compound or what not. Bane should have met his end by Batman. While I thoroughly enjoyed Selina Kyle throughout, it should have been Bats to win. Have Alfred stick around till then end then they reunite on holiday.

I just don't believe Bruce would ever just leave. Sure he gave Robin a good start, but BRUCE WAYNE should have stayed to help rebuild his city. Bruce could have been the face of hope needed. "they need you....your knowledge your resources. Not your body". That could have come to play here.

All in all, a 7 out of 10. I started out hating it, but came back. I appreciate it for what it was, and look forward to the next series.

2. maninthechair

maninthechair Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that I haven't seen too many comparisons to the Dark Knight Returns in the posts I have read.... Bruce coming out of retirement for his obsession. Alfred trying to discourage him from doing so because of age. The almost exact scene with the older cop telling the younger one to "sit back and enjoy the show". Getting his ass kicked and coming back to beat the opponent like he did against the Mutants (yes, I know it's based on Knightfall, but it's still there.) And ultimately faking his death and trusting the future of Gotham in others.

I've read a lot of comments about this Bruce being so different from the one in the comics but I have to disagree. Yes, he is a different character than the Bruce/Batman in normal canon, but he is very similar to Frank Miller's version in the Dark Knight Returns.

3. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

Dang...am I the only one that loves TDKR more everytime I watch it? Lol.

4. OrgasmicPotatoe

OrgasmicPotatoe Active Member

I just got back from the theater. First time seeing it, I am blown away.

I found myself smiling and staring, in awe, during both Bane/Batman fights. Bane giving Batman such a hard time was one of the things I wanted to see most. And it didn't disappoint. But Batman punching Bane's mask was just as satifying.

I think I never felt that good after seeing a movie since the first time I saw The Dark Knight. Nice one, Nolan !

5. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Nope. :batty:

6. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

IMO, even with the faults and quibbles of TDKR, it can't be lower than an 8/10. Their is just too much greatness in the film for it to be less than that.

7. CConn

CConn Fountainhead of culture.

I agree, comic Bruce Wayne would NEVER give up being Batman.

But Nolan's Brucr Wayne has always been a far different character - he has been since Begins - and what he does is totally in-character and totally a fitting end for the type of character Nolan had shaped over the course of 3 films.

8. LostSon88

LostSon88 Well-Known Member

Bruce Wayne of the comics will always and forever be haunted by the murder of his parents. In many ways he still uses their loss as his primary motivation to fight crime.

Chris Nolan's Bruce Wayne started out like that as well...only to realize that he must look beyond his own pain and use the example they left behind to inspire good.

That's why we never once got a scene of Bruce visiting his parents graves in the Nolan trilogy. In this universe, being Batman is more than about, to quote the Joker in Batman Beyond: ROTJ, "A little boy in a play suit, crying for mommy and daddy."

I'm not knocking either interpretation. The tormented Dark Knight is what made him so appealing to me as a child to begin with.

They're both very different. Yet handled very well...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  9. gothamist

gothamist New Member

I saw the movie for the 3rd time last night. The first two times were in rapid succession a few weeks ago, and at the time I couldn't shake a weird confusion summed up best as "uhmm,what did I just see?" For some reason, I just needed to see it again to put my mind to rest.

Finally, this time around, I managed to leave all preconceptions at the door. I stopped trying to force the movie to be what I wanted/expected it to be (basically, a remake of TDK), and instead just sat down ready to be entertained. I was ready to accept the movie on its own terms.

And wow, did it not disappoint. I'm not sure what it was about the 3rd time around, but it hit me like a ton of bricks. This is a powerful and epic movie. All the minor plot-holes (as if TDK didn't have gaping ones) were washed away, and I actually even caught some new intrigue,
    like Talia flagging the wrong truck as the bomb truck while she is still Miranda
    . The whole Blake angle is great when you understand that the theme of this movie is the tranformation of Batman from man (Bruce Wayne) to idea (ie "it can be anybody"). From that angle, this movie is great at tying together the themes of the trilogy and ultimately, letting us celebrate Bruce Wayne's redemption and success: he finally managed to inspire good (as opposed to chaos a la TDK).

I now understand why several critics gave this movie 5 stars. And frankly, sitting here right now, if I was given the choice of watching TDK or TDKR, I think I'd go for TDKR.

10. Micromind

Micromind New World New Rules

Now, you get it. :up:

Keeping an open mind helps, consider this to be an elseworlds take on Batman. In fact, All movies made on comics based superheroes are else world takes on the characters, they follow the directors (and writes) vision of the super hero.

TDKR is more emotional and has better performances by Bale, Caine, Oldman and Hathaway.

BTW, welcome to hype. :woot:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  11. Micromind

Micromind New World New Rules

There are really not many movies so far that are like TDKR, in terms of wide canvas storytelling, for a Superhero movie.

A great way to end trilogy.

12. OrgasmicPotatoe

OrgasmicPotatoe Active Member

Another thing I am really pleased about is seeing a little part dedicated to Harvey Dent and his legacy, how his death affected Gotham. I wasn't sure they were going to mention it that much, so I was a little bit afraid to be let down on that. But I loved how Gordon's letter an Batman's guilt (or no guilt) about Harvey's murders was a whole plot in the movie.

13. Tasogare Sebei

Tasogare Sebei Well-Known Member

No.

14. ShaDynasty

ShaDynasty Well-Known Member

Yeah. comic Bruce Wayne pretty much personified his madness through Batman. Batman is comic Bruce Wayne's "only hope for a normal life," while Rachel was his only hope in the movies.

TDKR is still amazing though.

Oh and regarding TDK's plot holes, when Gordon at the end said "five dead. two of them cops." who is he referring to? Dent kills wuertz and then maroni's driver...but who else?

15. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

Wurtz, Maroni, Maroni's driver, the officer Joker killed guarding Dent and Dent himself.

16. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Dent isn't a cop. I guess we'll just have to assume Gordon meant "people on the side of the law" when he said cops though, cause that's as close to an explanation as we can garner.

17. BlackFox

BlackFox Red devil

No note alone.........there is another:batty:

18. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Wurtz and the Cop in the hospital. There's your two Cops.

19. kthevs

kthevs Well-Known Member

20. 3-D

3-D Well-Known Member

Hahaha, that is hilarious.

21. Pontillo

Pontillo Well-Known Member

Me too, me too!

22. GregComicFan

GregComicFan movie and comic buff

I saw TDKR for a second time at a legit IMAX theater (one of the jumbo screens)... the movie was better the second time around. The only real complaint about the movie I had on the first view was pacing (ie. Bruce returning to Gotham from the pit so quickly).... the second viewing had a much better pacing because I was already aware of what was going to happen in the movie. I think my only complaint is I still think a 3rd Batman movie in-between TDK and TDKR should of occurred... with Gordon actually getting to BE commissioner Gordon, trying to catch Batman while simultaneously assisting him, covering up Two-Face's death, ... I love how Nolan interprets the villains so I want to see more villains from him... Batman could of fought another villain after the Joker AND THEN decided to quit and go into hiding...

23. TheNolan

TheNolan Member

3.5 out of 5.

24. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

Lol.

Although not finding batman's body would be expected after the bomb, bruce wayne's apparent death would have to be seen as shady. Aside from the no body he was once declared dead before only to return.

25. munchie64

munchie64 I'm NOT Batman

Well it can be assumed MANY rich people died during Bane's takeover.