The Dark Knight Rises The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

and you know its sad when in the scene where he fights on a roof top with Catwoman (who's never actually called that, thanks Nolan), he jumps down by doing a classic «cape spread» and I was like «ah cool, a classic Batman move»... I kept wanting to see such iconic moments or poses (there was way more of them in BB), but they're few and far between. so yeah...I'm looking forward to the reboot, and it might be a better feeling than crying in fear that said reboot cannot beat what Nolan made.

More than anything, the movie put emphasis on the overall message of the trilogy. Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up. It's no question that by this movie Bruce wasn't the young, built ox that he was in prior movies. Bane certaintly had the advantage physically. Batman got his ass whooped in the first fight. He picked his spirit back up, brushed it off, and went back out and gave it another go. He won the battle for Gotham because of his spirit. The movie really does have some fantastic messages and really a good overall plot.

This movie has many amazing aspects to it, however, I feel like it tries too hard in general. There are too many characters jammed in there. There is too much expository dialogue. Bane's voice wasn't nearly menacing enough for me. There were too many character "reveals" that weren't very effective in my opinion. The lack of a Joker reference was glaring. I loved Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle. I loved when Batman was on screen. I loved the music. The movie looked and sounded beautiful in IMAX.

honesty I really loved the film, but just the second fight really pissed me off...

I would have prefered a more choreographed longer filmed fight where I could actually see who was hitting who. Half the ****ing time I was just seeing random arm movements go up and down and around it was stupid. Nolan is horrible at fight scenes.

Batman should have been shown to clearly overwhelm Bane rather than getting a few lucky shots in... How awesome would it have been if he had sweeped Bane or done this amazing Roundhouse kick that would have knocked Bane into a wall... Followed by a another smash kick through the door. There are literally thousands of better choreographed moves I can think of right now that would have been so much god damn better.

Then of course Catwoman has to save his ass... that was just so ****ing stupid.

you know the last fight could have been better, but there's no point in expecting Batman being stronger than Bane, he's just not. But its ashame that Batman didn't use, you know...those MARTIAL ARTS HE SUPPOSEDLY LEARNED THROUGHOUT THE WORLD...I do ninjutsu and let me tell you even Bane would feel a good arm lock, followed by a Nagare and a few hits to the knees...but I digress...

The Dark Knight Rises was a good movie. It was not as good as either of its predecessors, but a good movie nonetheless and an acceptable conclusion to the trilogy. Although I do wish it wasn't over as I believe Batman deserves more than three films to do him justice.

I saw it twice in theaters (compared to the 6 times I saw TDK in theaters) and the first time was The Dark Knight marathon in IMAX. I, for one, loved Bane's "autotuned dumptruck" voice and I thought he was a great villain. My favorite scene was the first fight between Batman and Bane, [BLACKOUT]where he breaks Batman's back. [/BLACKOUT] Great fight scenes could be seen as the one thing TDK was missing and this movie had 'em.

Other areas of the film were lacking though, in the end, I feel that TDKR played too heavily off of the success of TDK. In other words, too similar. There were a few cliches, [BLACKOUT](Batman escaping the blast radius of an atom bomb, Tate's reveal as a villain), and I hated the way they killed off Bane.[/BLACKOUT]

The main thing that bugs me though, as I have said previously, is that three movies does not do Batman justice. I understand the idea of "Beginning, Middle, End" but Batman's "Middle" is far longer than just one film. I give the movie an 8/10. While it did every thing it needed to to be a good movie, it did not wow me the way I hoped.

It was 20 times better on 2nd viewing at IMAX. I think expectations much lower, combined with knowing everything that was going to happen helped a lot. A few things still really pissed me off but otherwise I had a great time. The decisions make much more sense now than when I was anticipating many different things that didn't happen.

The following is my opinion. I wrote a more well thought out, cohesive review for my town's paper and got twice as many mail in total than for any review in my three years working there combined. These are just my thoughts, and while I respect the general consensus of the film, I disagree with a majority of it.

With that said, my number two disappointing film would have to be TDKR. I knew it wouldn't be as good as TDK, but I didn't expect to find it to be the black sheep of the trilogy and well as the red headed stepchild of Nolan's entire filmography.

With that said it was a good film, but had WAY to many flaws for me to ever considered great. Nolan's characters have never really stroke a chord with me, but Caine and Oldman have been an exception. So needless to say I was a little upset that Blake, Dagget, and Foley took much of their screen time. Dagget didn't need to be on the screen as much as he did, and the Foley side plot was focused on way too much. Hathaway was the closest thing I've gotten to having a female character from Nolan that I enjoyed, but I never really found the character to be that engaging. It might have been that her character arc was predictable from the start, but I just didn't like her nearly as much as most people who praised her have.

Honestly I didn't care for Blake to much either. Even my good friends who liked the film less than I did thought he was the best character, but I don't see it. [BLACKOUT]The story needed more Bruce Wayne/Batman not some character whose every scene was clearly constructed to help establish himself as the successor. Maybe it was just pre-release chatter, but it was obvious right from the start which direction they wanted to take the character in. I also thought his deduction of Bruce's identity was eye roll worthy. [/BLACKOUT]

Besides his voice which they could have made more menacing I loved Bane in this-but seriously imagine Darth Vador with Bane's voice, I just couldn't wrap myself around how silly it was. But his entire character was ruined for me with the end finale. For me it completely destroyed everything I felt for this villain, and as a fan of every movie Nolan has done, I believe it to be one of the worst decisions he has made. Not only did the now infamous "reveal" undermine his character, but his demise was completely anti-climatic. I've never rolled my eyes during a Nolan film, but I did just that four or five times for this one.

[BLACKOUT] Like Blake, the entire angle of "Talia" was way to obvious for me. The close up of the scar, Bruce sleeping with a chick who otherwise had about as much presence as Morgan Freeman, I saw through it right away. Again, my subconscious may have been recalling earlier internet rumors, but that really doesn't take away from the fact. [/BLACKOUT] The movie would have been much better without her involvement. SIDE NOTE: Can anyone recall a movie that had more rumors and predictions come true?

Ironically, my favorite act was the second; the only part of the movie that those who loved it generally feel was the weakest. The prison scenes were excellent, albeit mostly improbable. The motivation to lose the rope while on the climb was pure Nolan brilliance. Loved how the prison pit was a direct sendoff of the well Bruce fell in from Batman Begins. For all of it's obvious flaws, the movie did a great job of keeping in tune with the theme of "Why do we fall."

I'm not one of "those guys" who claims this film had plotholes or anything. It honestly just underwhelmed me. I still hold TDK is the best CMB of all time, and Nolan is clearly one of the best directors in the biz. Yeah I was more excited to see The Avengers, but I still thought that TDKR would have gotten much better acclaim from critics and audiences, so I was surprised that wasn't necessarily the case. But even the little things I loved about the first two weren't there. In fact it was the opposite. I thought having the climax in the day made the contrast between Batman's black costume looked as ridiculous as Captain America, and so on. The imagery of this film in particular just wasn't as memorable/epic as the first two were.

I'd give the film a 6 or 7 overall because there was a lot I liked. But even with all the flaws, I can't get around how horrible I thought the ending was. I don't think I could ever rate this movie any higher than a 7 for that fact alone. Definitely one of the top ten trilogies of all time, but this and to a lesser extent BB make it a tough sell to rank it along with Star Wars, LOTR, and the Dollars trilogy.

Last edited:
How on earth do you write for a newspaper? Your grammar and spelling is atrocious, and your prose style is downright adolescent.

Maybe his newspaper isn't an English language one?

You have to be careful about this sort of thing.

How on earth do you write for a newspaper? Your grammar and spelling is atrocious, and your prose style is downright adolescent.

Yeah because that's the review I submitted:whatever: When I'm typing I'm forums I'm usually preoccupied and typing on a Ipad. I could care less about about grammar.

Your grammar and spelling are* atrocious.
You were saying? :whatever:

Last edited:
To be fair, CCon's mistake was quite a minor one, and he doesn't claim to write for a newspaper.

Which newspaper do you write for, Hammer? I presume it can be found online?

Yeah because that's the review I submitted:whatever: When I'm typing I'm forums I'm usually preoccupied and typing on a Ipad. I could care less about about grammar.
I'm usually preoccupied and on an iPad, but I can still make myself sound like an adult.

A snide and pretentious adult, but one nevertheless.

The more I see it the more I love it.

I loved Begins and was skeptical about The Dark Knight. Then TDK became one of my favorite films of all time (still is) and I was skeptical about Rises. Then I saw Rises and my initial reaction was "...that was the perfect ending. I kinda missed the Joker and Two-Face."

That feeling wore off after my 2nd viewing. The more I see Rises, the better it gets. I think this movie has SUCH an incredible story, even if it's not as much of a "Batman" movie as Begins or TDK.

Also, this is just a little thing, but I actually didn't really hate any of the extras in this one. The exchange between the cops was kind of annoying "Shoot the tires! There's no shot!" but not NEARLY as bad as "no more dead cops!"

AND I only noticed 1 fake punch in the big fight at the end. I'm pretty sure it was a cop and he just flung his arm out at no one like he was swatting a fly. VERY impressive for having that many extras.

People who attack people online for spelling and grammar typically do so out of cheap attacks on not liking what the person had to say.....just sayin... Don't be petty.

People who attack people online for spelling and grammar typically do so out of cheap attacks on not liking what the person had to say.....just sayin... Don't be petty.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

It's not about opinion at all - its about being able to express yourself intelligently, accurately, and the ability to really interject your own personality into everything you write.

Which is very important in this medium, as the written word is the only way to express ourselves and gain introspection into each other.

But yeah, I'm just being petty.

A lot of people seem to take issue with Bane being portrayed as physically superior and as a more skilled fighter than the older, physically worn down Batman that we got in this film, but honestly, I was fine with it. I think it only served to strengthen part of Nolan's message.

Batman's career is very finite, and inspite of all his prowess, he could only remain being Batman for approximately as long as any Pro athletes career would span, before the physical toll becomes too much. The body has it's limits...

You have no idea what you're talking about.

It's not about opinion at all - its about being able to express yourself intelligently, accurately, and the ability to really interject your own personality into everything you write.

Which is very important in this medium, as the written word is the only way to express ourselves and gain introspection into each other.

But yeah, I'm just being petty.

O please. He typed perfectly readable and better than majority of the posters on the hype. Don't be a grammar dictator. Its petty

The hype is not an acredited formal publication. To many its nothing more than a casual place to message people.

Last edited:
I think the issue was that the poster in question claimed to write for a newspaper. His defence, that he was distracted and using an ipad, doesn't really wash because neither should impede someone's ability to write clearly; especially if their profession has rendered that habit into instinct.

Nobody cares if you write a bit sloppily here, but in this specific context it was a bit suprising.

I think the issue was that the poster in question claimed to write for a newspaper. His defence, that he was distracted and using an ipad, doesn't really wash because neither should impede someone's ability to write clearly; especially if their profession has rendered that habit into instinct.

Nobody cares if you write a bit sloppily here, but in this specific context it was a bit suprising.

But ultimately does it matter? nope.

No, it doesn't, but it would be wrong to say that CCon was being wantonly pedantic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"