The Official Recommendations Thread

Is 1602 a good graphic novel? I've never read Sandman so I can't say I'm a fan of Niel Gaiman but I saw the gn at Waldenbooks yesterday and it looks great.

Yodaman said:
Is 1602 a good graphic novel? I've never read Sandman so I can't say I'm a fan of Niel Gaiman but I saw the gn at Waldenbooks yesterday and it looks great.

yes, very good, a very fascinating premise. Basicly, it's the marvel universe characters set in the year 1602. The ending is a bit underwhelming, but the premise is mroe than fascinating enough to forgive that

tell me about fables and sandman, what are these about?

Varient said:
Dude,.................

Don't Diss Great Lakes Avengers like that,.. Put more into it,...

Like:

Dan Slott, an up and coming great writer in the vein of those who started Marvel has written a good spin on the lamest Avengers in the Marvel Universe.

The Great Lakes Avengers is a projected one shot of how people who are heroic in heart but weak in power or know-how, (A couple of them have some kick-a** ability but use it poorly.), keep trying to save their part of the world,.. ignoring the jibes, laughter, the insults of the people around them.

Even Though I am Biased toward one of the Characters, I think Slott,... Heck,.. All those involved with the book have done an excellent JOB,.. Making marginal heroes folk you want to keep reading about,....

If you like "nutt in Cheek" humor,.. GLA is it.

I need to add that this wasn't the series I was going to suggest because I was hoping Mr. Slott finds a way to get saddled with those heroes long term,..

Me,.. I'll come back with We3 or GoldDigger.

Peace.

I was responding to someone else who said Young Avengers is the oly worthwhile book with "avengers" in the name.

Elijya said:
Ok, so we get people asking for recommendations at least once a month. Now, instead of us each responding to each of these requests with lists of what we all suggest, let's just have an official recommendation thread we can point them too.

Now, I've long had issues with people simply making lists of good books. I think it's important to pitch books to people, tell them what they're about instead of just giving them a title. That way, they can judge for themselves a little better. Cause let's face it, there's a LOT of books out there we could all recommend. Let people pick what sounds interesting to them.

So what I'd ask you all to do is if you want to recommend something here, at least give a sentence or two about what the books is about and why you like it. Also tell them where they should start, how many books are in the series and such. Post images from the book, too. Then, just link people here whenever they ask for something

Great idea, it's about time someone did a thread like this. I also like the format with pictures...and that Transmet and 100 Bullets were your first recommendations :up:

I'm trying to branch outside of my normal box but besides Supreme Power,.. I don't like the gritty dark over the top violent or whatever type of stuff. What else is good? Heck, I've read the first 9 issues of Miracleman... the Alan Moore classics... and now I'm wondering if I can sell them and get my money back. The first two issues were okay but the rest weren't great. I'd rather read something X-Men. I know a lot of Marvel so I kinda have an idea what I'd like there... what else is good?

Okay, I'd like to recommend Planetary. This Wildstorm book is fan-f**king-tastic. It's about a secret organization called Planetary, who are basically archologist. What they do is try to uncover the secret history of the world. The stuff "THEY" don't want you to know about. The Organization is huge, but it mainly centers around a three man field team and the mysterious Fourth Man. The team consists of Jakita Wagner, a woman with super strength, speed and agility. She's a lot like Wonder Woman. She is in it because life can be very boring, and this gives her purpose. You have the Drummer, a guy who can talk to machines. He's weird, and a bit of coward. The comic relief of the group. Then you have the new Recruit, Elijah Snow. He has the power of Heat subtraction. Ice powers basically. He's very old, one of the few special individuals of the Wildstorm Universe who were born January 1st, 1900. He doesn't really look a day over 45, but that could be because of the hard life he's lead. He doesn't have much of his memory, just bits and pieces. But he's surly, mean, and a bit of a cold bastard. Along their journy, they visit, massive ship shifts, stumble upon the last of the pulp heros who saved the world from a alien JLA invasion, visist a Ghost detective stright out of a John Woo movie, and learn more about the mysterious group known as the 4. THink, the fantastic four, only evil and secretly ruling the world. The terrible things they've done..... Anyway, it's a great book. If you like old school Sci-Fi and monster movies. Conspiracy stuff, and just all around good story, then you should check this out.
Elijah Snow
PLANETARY_THE_FOURTH_MAN_HC_John_Cassaday.jpg

PlanetaryHCvr.jpg

They also had a few great crossovers. I especially loved the Batman one.

planetary-crossingworlds-tpb.jpg

The premise of Y: The Last Man sounds like something out of an episode of The Twilight Zone: a strange plague kills every male in the world, except for escape artist Yorick Brown and his pet monkey Ampersand. They struggle to survive in a world trying to restructure itself, with crazy women left and right. They are followed by Agent 355, a spy assigned to protect Yorick, and doctor Alison Mann, who's trying to find out a cure, and why Yorick and Ampersand were the only ones to survive. Doesn't sound all that original at first, but it's all in the execution (Vaughan is truly at master of cliffhangers). The first issue is truly a lesson on narrative, and is all you need to get hooked on this amazing series.

Y1.jpg

99243838939.1.P1.GIF

JewishHobbit said:
I'm trying to branch outside of my normal box but besides Supreme Power,.. I don't like the gritty dark over the top violent or whatever type of stuff. What else is good? Heck, I've read the first 9 issues of Miracleman... the Alan Moore classics... and now I'm wondering if I can sell them and get my money back. The first two issues were okay but the rest weren't great. I'd rather read something X-Men. I know a lot of Marvel so I kinda have an idea what I'd like there... what else is good?

Alan Moore's Miracleman climaxes with issue 15, you may want to keep reading it up till then. But you won't have to pay for them (they're rare and expensive), as I know some people here can link you to online versions of those issues

if you're looking for stuff on the lighter side, I can recommend Invincible, Barry Ween Boy Genius, Captain Marvel, Deadpool, anyuthing by Dan Slott, The Cowboy Wally Show, and Shaolin Cowboy. All of which are humor books, and some of which you may have already read (I'll do write ups for all of these at some point).

but if you're looking for good books that aren't necessarily straight humor but aren't too dark, Fables, Lullabye, Conan (a little dark, but DAMN good), young avengers, Green Arrow, Liberty Meadows, and tons of other stuff

TheDevilwithin said:
tell me about fables and sandman, what are these about?

will get to these tomorrow, my friend :up:

oh come one! this thread is going so much better than those ones!

Elijya said:
oh come one! this thread is going so much better than those ones!
I was only messing with ya.I just had to do it when you said that thing about the other thread not being official. :joker:

Elijya said:
Alan Moore's Miracleman climaxes with issue 15, you may want to keep reading it up till then. But you won't have to pay for them (they're rare and expensive), as I know some people here can link you to online versions of those issues

You know, that'd be great. The comics just weren't up to par to me... maybe if they were new and cheep but not for the price they go for. I'm actually really curious about the arc with Aza Chorn in it but I don't know what issues he's in. I'd like to at least read what's to come though I doubt I'd lay down money for them.

And thanks for the other suggestions. I've read some of them. But that Y - The Last Man seemed interesting... what issue are they on and how dark is it?

OKay, here's my recommendation. I know many have read it lately do to New Avengers but my recomendations is for the Sentry limited series and the X-Men/Hulk/FF/and Spiderman oneshots that came with it. Though this series was gimmicked at first by marvel and wizard as an old Stan Lee idea that was never used.... it is still an amazing story and one of my favorates to date. I doubt that Bendis will do justice to the character so check out this mini asap.

I like what Jenkins did with it as he contrasts the world's greatest hero with an alterego of just a man who is scared of everything, alcoholic, and on the verge of a divorce. And though we all know he's a hero now part of the fun was wondering if he really was a hero or just a crazy guy. Jenkins does a wonderful job slowing portraying the other hero's knowledge and respect for him... especially Hulk and Reed Richards for me. Man this was good. READ IT!!!!

sentry_5.jpg

73011826638.1.P2.GIF

JewishHobbit said:
You know, that'd be great. The comics just weren't up to par to me... maybe if they were new and cheep but not for the price they go for. I'm actually really curious about the arc with Aza Chorn in it but I don't know what issues he's in. I'd like to at least read what's to come though I doubt I'd lay down money for them.
PM X or corpy, see if the have the on-line versions. Or Guyverjay
JewishHobbit said:
And thanks for the other suggestions. I've read some of them. But that Y - The Last Man seemed interesting... what issue are they on and how dark is it?
they're up to issue 35 nand there are 4 trades so far. There's lots of death, gender commentary, and femninazi biker gangs, but it's surprisingly not very dark thanks to the art work, which is loose and just the slightest bit cartoony and brightly colored. takes the edge off anything too dark. like this (which is the first page of the series):
99243838939.1.P1.GIF

Roughneck said:
yeah, that was helpful....
VenomSpits said:
no one mentioned Powers yet?
I'll get to it, I'll get to it. Don't get your panties in a bundle

thebooksofmagic.jpg

Books Of Magic

Not a big fan of Gaiman, in fact I have hated some of his work and in general he does nothing for me. But this is a great read, well plotted and a foreboding atmosphere. If you like Harry Potter, or in my case do not like Harry Potter then this is arguably what J.K. Rowling ripped off to make her book. Tim Hunter looks almost exactly like that character but this is set in a more adult tone and far more interesting in my opinion. This is basically a journey to initiate Tim Hunter into the world of magic. He is brought to meet some of DC's leading magicians, one of his guides being John Constantine. Eventually he is brought to the conclusion of magic and the possible paths in which he can take. A self-contained read but a story that continues still.

killing_joke_poster2.jpg

The Killing Joke

Another Alan Moore story, to save doing this fifty times you should probably just pick up anything with his name attached. This is the best Batman story I have read and Batman is very much a secondary character in the tale compared to the Joker's story. We learn of his beginnings and why he is what he is. A fun read that takes some dark twists and turns.

1563897334.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Lucifer

Probably the best ongoing title around for me at the moment, a recent classic. Very intelligent writing that fits with the characters, you never question the writers ability to say what the devil might say. Everything is spot on, a beat is never missed and the plots are exactly what I would expect from the character. And those plots are as grand as you can imagine, which is cool.

redsontpb.jpg

Superman: Red Son

My favourite superman story probably because I really don't like the character and this is fair departure from his normal routine. A soviet Superman vs the american genius that is Lex Luthor. Plus a very annoying bat trying to rebel against Supes reign of power. With a russian hat! What more could you possibly want.

Elijya said:
yeah, but that wasn't official! :p :D

Curses! Foiled again!

Everyone go look at it anyway if you get a chance. A lot of good books discussed there.

Okay, here's the title that I think more of you should be reading (admittedly, I've posted this before, but you want recommendations, not originality):

BUY MTU!

marvel-team-up-3.jpg

What's not to like here? Good stories? Great characters? Action? Familial bickering (FF)? Wisecracking(Spidey, of course)?

A lot of recommends for Invincible around here-same writer(Kirkman).

A LOT of recommends for Flash around here-same artist (Kolins- one of my favorite at Marvel right now-actually he doesn't do Flash anymore, but his run was great). And soon to be replaced by Pacheco (I believe) Not too shabby!

I always hear griping about continuity around here- well, at least so far, MTU's got that in spades.

Great sense of humor- in their first encounter, Spidey says to X-23, "Wolverine, Good Lord! What did they DO to you?!"

Unlike MTU in the past- a revolving cast. Recent issues:
Spidey and Moon Knight (that's right MK fans)
Punisher and Blade
Luke Cage and Daredevil(also includes Sleepwalker :eek: and Black Cat)

Unlike MTU in the past- a unified plot that ties the stories together. Plus sub-plots. Sub-plots!!

APR051901.jpg

And forget the fact that this is a fun title to read. This is exactly the kind of title that fans should support. It has respect for the characters(even minor ones), respect for continuity, and , IMHO, respect for the fans. If you really believe in those things, you should support it when Marvel actually does it!Right now the book is experiencing Spider-girl numbers (and not in a good way.) So get it. There's only so many "ignored" titles like Spider-Girl and Runaways that can make a comeback.

http://www.comics-shop.co.uk/cx-marvel/marvel-comics/marvel-pix6/mtu-7.jpg

Well, I've recommended Battle Royale enough on a couple threads, but here is a comic that I haven't read in ages, but I always see it in the cheap bins at comic shops.

14331240280.1.GIF

One of the first Maxi-series, it was everything I wanted in a comic at the time. It had action, drama, and totally tied in with my Excalibur fixation. (I don't know how many times I watched Excalibur, the movie, on Showtime in the early 80's; but, I just soaked up anything to do with King Arthur.) Here is someone's review to give an idea of what the whole idea is about:

In the year 3000 (which looks remarkably like the year 1987), Earth is under siege by malevolent aliens, and young Brit Tom discovers the buried tomb of King Arthur, the promised savior of all the world. Arthur -- yes, the genuine, Pendragon-y article -- is awakened and vows to help humanity in taking out the accursed plague of bug-eyed monsters. Though whether his medieval brain can grasp the concept of where these invaders come from is doubtful.

camelot.jpg

Of course, Arthur must first gather together his merry brood of fellow legends -- starting with Merlin, who is just as cranky and inscrutable as one would expect, all hidden beneath Stonehenge, which he built for the purpose and stuff (ah, so that's one mystery of the world explained, then!)

Merlin then reactivates the original Scooby Gang -- Lancelot, Galahad, Tristan, Percival, Kay, Gawain and the lovely Guinevere -- who must leave their modern, re-incarnated lives behind in order to rally around the Round Table.

And they proceed to kick some serious invader butt as they uncover a government conspiracy, reveal the true nature of their enemies, and just basically save humanity, with all the requisite angst, heartbreak and self-sacrifice accounted for. Oh, and Excalibur, naturally. And the Holy Grail. And the torrid Lance/Gwen hookup. You know those drills, right?

Camelot 3000 is a great romp through both legend and speculative fiction, a kind of cross between sword and sorcery and space opera that shouldn't work, and yet does -- perfectly. From the first, this is a bizarre world, and it proceeds to get even more bizarre, with twist plot developments that leave the reader breathless for more. The art is first class -- though allowances have to be made for the eighties -- and the writing ties everything together very nicely.

As the first adult comic series, Camelot 3000 set a new standard. As the first direct-to-comic-stores release, it raised that standard. This twelve issue maxi-series, re-released in TPB in 1997, was a phenomenon in the comic buying world, something all together new and wondrous... and the story is still pretty damned cool.

Even if it is about that silly Arthur King and his English kaaa-niggits.

JewishHobbit said:
OKay, here's my recommendation. I know many have read it lately do to New Avengers but my recomendations is for the Sentry limited series and the X-Men/Hulk/FF/and Spiderman oneshots that came with it. Though this series was gimmicked at first by marvel and wizard as an old Stan Lee idea that was never used.... it is still an amazing story and one of my favorates to date. I doubt that Bendis will do justice to the character so check out this mini asap.

I like what Jenkins did with it as he contrasts the world's greatest hero with an alterego of just a man who is scared of everything, alcoholic, and on the verge of a divorce. And though we all know he's a hero now part of the fun was wondering if he really was a hero or just a crazy guy. Jenkins does a wonderful job slowing portraying the other hero's knowledge and respect for him... especially Hulk and Reed Richards for me. Man this was good. READ IT!!!!

sentry_5.jpg

73011826638.1.P2.GIF
Nice one :up: One of my favorite books :) :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"