The Official Recommendations Thread

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics' started by Elijya, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Doc Destruction Geaux Saints!

[​IMG]

The Thunderbolts. The first series was mind blowing. After a very typical "big fight when new heroes show up and call each other by their code names and use their powers" storyline, we find out in the last panel that they are all B-list villains in disguise.

The beauty of the plot involves the slow transformation by several of their members into REAL heroes. Lead by Citizen V (Baron Zemo), Songbird (Screaming Mimi), Atlas (Goliath), Mach V (The Beetle), Meteorite (Moonstone) and Techno (The Fixer), the meet up with a new young hero named Jolt and attempt to take over the world by first winning their trust.

The new version of the team is equally amazing, with Speed Demon, Blizzard, Radioactive Man, Joystick, Atlas, Mach VI and Photon (formerly Capt. Marvel).

2. Doc Destruction Geaux Saints!

[​IMG]

Hard to believe no one mentioned this one yet. Available mostly in TPB now, this is the story of a future DC universe where the old guard heroes are mostly retired, or transcended into new forms (Flash protects ALL of his city at all times by never stopping, GL sits above the Earth waiting for any sign of alien invasion). Their children and their legacies have taken superheroing to a new extreme, demolishing all villains and leaving none left to fight, so they take to beating each other senseless in the streets.

During a huge battle with the Parasite, they cause a huge nuclear explosion, ruining the breadbasket of the USA and causing the old heroes to come out of retirement and put them back in their place. Too many amazing moments to mention here, just get it.

3. Elijya Registered

Doc, please get your pictures to work

4. Doc Destruction Geaux Saints!

Well poo...I see them...let me see what I can do.

5. Elijya Registered

they work now

the only unfortunate thing about the Thunderbolts is that only one very hard to find trade exists for the first couple of issues of the first series

6. Venom Drool Guest

Elijya dont you read Powers?

7. Elijya Registered

yes, I read powers. I just haven't done a write up for it yet. I've got like, 50 books I plan on doing

8. SpideyInATree Chillin' Like a Villain

[​IMG]

Writer: Dan Slott
    Artist: Ty Templeton

Brief Summary: This is a miniseries which revisits some of Spider-Man and Human Torch's more interesting encounters. Some include Spidey and Torch switching places for a day, the Spider-Mobile, and Johnny assisting Black Cat with a robbery. Filled with a lot of light hearted humor and great Spider-Man nostalgia, especially with the Spider-Mobile. If you can't find the single issues anywhere this will be released, shortly, in a digest format for your reading pleasure. Definitely one of the best Spider-Man books of 2005, hands down. Buy it, enjoy it, laugh your socks off!

9. Anubis Sup?

Hey Venom why don't you do it. Your hands aren't broken.

10. Venom Drool Guest

actually my finger is :up:

11. JackBauer Registered

Since apparently no one wants to do it, I might as well recommend Powers. It tells the story of homicide detective Christian Walker and his partner Deena Pilgrim, who solve cases involving superheros. The art is VERY cool, reminiscent of the DC animated universe. The writing... Well, the best I can say is that the storyline Forever (which tells the history of powers, going all the way back to the dawn of man) is Bendis' Watchmen. The rest of it is great as well, of course, but if I had to indicate a particular storyline, that'd be the one, hands down. (on a side note, it would make for one HELL of a tv show)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. korican04 Registered

What is a good Thor graphic novel? Like one i can pick up at Barnes and Nobles and read on a 5 hour plane ride. I've read all the JLA novels and trying to get into Marvel again.

13. Elijya Registered

I don't know if you could pick it up at Barnes and Nobles, but one of my favorite Thor stories is Thor: Vikings, written by Garth Ennis with Art but Glenn Fabry. Facing off against a 1,000 year old Crew of Zombie vikings, Thor must team up with a handful of warriors from different eras to defeat them. Extremely violent, it's basicly just a kick ass book :up:

[​IMG]

the quintessential place to start with Thor would be walt simonsons run. Walt introduced Beta Ray Bill and his is considered the definitive Thor run. His stories are collected in the Thor Visionaires: Walt Simonson trades

[​IMG]

and this one I know you can find in Barnes and Nobles because I saw one there the other week. Some people may not have been fans of Avengers Disassembled, but the Avengers Disassembled:Thor Tie-in had nothing to do with it really, and was just a really, really good story about Ragnorok (the end of the gods) written by Michael Avon Oeming, artist of Powers and Author/Artist of Hammer of the Gods

[​IMG]

hope that helps!

and since I mentioned it, you should all also try and check out Hammer of the Gods if you're either a Thor or a Conan fan. Just a really cool little viking tale Oeming wrote for Image. Any Comicbook store should be able to get a copy of the trade for you.

[​IMG]

14. Elijya Registered

Warning: Adult Content. The recommended book below contains foul language, and may contain nudity or other material you may find offensive

The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius might best be summed up as a foul-mouthed Calvin and Hobbes or Dexter on crack. Created by Judd Winick (Green Arrow, Batman), Barry Ween is the smartest boy alive, and must deal with interdimensional portals, invading aliens, monkeys, yetis, time travel, and his ADHD best friend Jeremy who's usually behind it all. Currently, there are four trades published by Oni, and everyone is begging Judd to do more. You will not be able to stop laughing when you read this, and just when you least expect it, you won't be able to stop the tears of sadness, either

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Elijya Registered

The Mask Ok, forget the Jim Carrey movie, the mask stories in comics are extremely vioent Jekyll and Hyde morality tales that are worth checking out. Originall published as a large number of different four issues miniseries by Dark Horse throughout the 90's, each book sees the mask come into a different personss possession, and where the mask leads, corruption and death follow, and the lucky survivors get a dose of self discovery. The first three trades are the best. Although the first book, simply Mask, has some amaturish art, things pick up with The Mask Returns. The Mask Strikes Back sees a group of teenagers come into the mask possession thinking it will answer all of their life's problems.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Elijya Registered

17. korican04 Registered

WHoa thanks! :up:

18. Elijya Registered

The Walking Dead

From Publishers Weekly
    "Taking a well-worn genre—flesh-eating zombies overrun the world and the unlucky surviving humans must deal with the gruesome aftermath—and approaching it from a purely character-driven point of view propels this series into the spotlight from out of nowhere. This collection of the first six issues of the ongoing series opens with police officer Rick Grimes awakening from a gunshot-induced coma. From here, he's immediately dragged into a world where dangerous revenants are shambling amok without any sort of an explanation. From the moment Grimes comes to, it's a harrowing battle to avoid hordes of decomposing zombies and a hope-against-all-odds search for his missing family. Grimes makes his way to Atlanta, the nearest large city where there may be other living people, and events take several unexpected turns upon his arrival, as he meets up with a rural encampment of survivors. Of course, as in recent hit movies 28 Days Later... and Dawn of the Dead, the last humans may turn out to be as much a danger as the zombies. Forceful scripting that gives the book a strong grounding in reality, crisp b&w artwork, a shocking final sequence and brisk, gory proceedings elevate this book from the trash heap of pedestrian horror comics."

I've never been a fan of Zombie stories, but I'm a fan of author Robert Kirkman and had heard phenomenal things about this series and decided to pick it up. They were all true. Perhaps it was because I never understood Zombie stories that I didn't care for them, but Kirkman takes care of that himself with the very introduction to the first volume of this series, something I will be greatful for a long time. You see, when it comes down to it, it's not about the zombies, it's about the people who are left behind, and Kirkman makes them just absolutely fascinating here.

The series is currently on issue 26, they're 4 softcover trades available, or one GIANT slipcase that collects the first 24 issues for $100 for die-hard fans. A smaller, more affordable hardcover collecting issues 1-12 is on the way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Elijya Registered

that's what I'm here for, man :up:

20. KAD Registered

Check out Someplace Strange

I think its written by louise Simonson and illustrated by Steve Lightle.

Its an old Marvel GN.

Excellent read very suprising

21. Elijya Registered

while I appreciate the effort, guys, can you try to give more info on these books? KAD, you aren't sure who the creators are, you didn't tell us whose in the book or what the basic plot is, show any art, or address the availabilty of the book (this oen I believe is not exactly common). and simply shouting out "exiles" isn't helpful either

22. Doc Destruction Geaux Saints!

You just reminded me...I found my Thor 337-339 all signed by Simonson this week ;)

23. Anubis Sup?

Good call on Walking Dead there Eli. One of my favorite books. :up:

24. Dread TMNT 1984-2009

This is an easy fan favorite book around here, but I may as well make an official "stab" at it.

YOUNG AVENGERS
    [​IMG]
    At first slated as some sort of "gimmick" from Marvel, this title is so good that it makes all the controversial events of "Disassembled" almost worth it. Building on the ashes of that lackluster story, Heinberg & Cheung tell a tale of young heroes rising to take the place of the fallen Avengers, whose costumes and codenames homage 4 founding Avengers: Patriot, Asgardian, Hulkling, and their "leader", Iron Lad, who is more than he seems. In fact, ALL of them are, as Jessica Jones is dispatched by J.Jonah Jameson to find out exactly "Who the [BLEEP] are the Young Avengers?" Rather than tell this tale from boring A-B-C pacing, Heinberg instantly establishes the teens as heroes and then works slowly on fleshing their origins, background, and true powers, to keep you guessing. You discover who these heroes are little by little. The four of them soon encounter spunky teen Kate Bishop in their first hostage situation, and are then bolstered by Cassie Lang, the teenaged daughter of Scott Lang (the now deceased Ant-Man II). Add to that, Iron Lad's mysterious connection to classic Avengers rogue Kang the Conqueror, AND establishing the Vision as the pivotal Avengers mainstay he always was.

Heinberg allows the mess that was Disassembled to have more poignancy than Bendis shows, with allusions to Vision's protocols, and Cassie's grief at losing her father (whose death was depicted as merely an aside in that story, overshadowed by Hawkeye's loss) and wanting to do him proud by following in his footsteps. Meanwhile, how do the old Avengers handle their younger counterparts about to follow on the same dangerous path they did as heroes (while, hypocritically, restarting the Avengers secretly)?

The story itself is not only interesting, but the dialogue is crisp, the art is incredible and the battles feel as epic as you'd expect from a core Avengers title. Heinberg adheres to past history and continuity yet still keeps his characters fresh enough to root for them. Sure, there are some formulaic bits, but if any title, outside of RUNAWAYS or MTU could possibly make a jaded Marvel fan smile at the "House of Ideas" once more, it's YOUNG AVENGERS. Heinberg takes characters and legacies that "Disassembled" destroyed for shock value and makes them MATTER again. THIS is the true "NEW" AVENGERS.

Issue #6 will be coming out this month, and a Vol. 1 TPB is inevitable. If you can't find the issues, track it down. You won't regret it.

25. Dread TMNT 1984-2009

MARVELS
    [​IMG]
    By the same team behind KINGDOM COME (Kurt Buseik at writing and Alex Ross painted art), this is a more down-to-earth tale set in the Golden and Silver years of Marvel comics. Follow journalist Phil Sheldon as the "Marvels" first arise, from The Invaders in the 40's to the Avengers, X-Men, and Spider-Man in the 60's. His "man-on-the-street" view displays these icons and events as, well, iconic and eventful. Seeing the Marvel universe begin through his eye(s) is a pleasure. Easily available in TPB, I recommend it to any comic fan, especially a Marvel one.