The Official Recommendations Thread

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics' started by Elijya, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Anubis Sup?

Do you know anything about Daredevil?

2. Ben Urich Registered

The story of Guardian Devil was good, if a bit slow. Just be prepared to want to gouge your eyes out after a few pages of Joe Quesada's art. He sucks.
    Sorry, Joe.
    Anyway, you could start with Underboss and do fine. However, I recommend Wake Up, Brian Bendis' 4 issue Daredevil story with collaborator (and sexy man-beast) David Mack.
    [​IMG]
    Here's what the back of the trade says:
    Meet Ben Urich, investigative reporter for the Daily Bugle. His current assignment: the media circus that is the murder trial of Wilson Fisk, the so-called Kingpin of Crime! At least, that's the gospel according to his editor, J. Jonah Jameson. So why is Urich spendingall his time with the catatonic son of the two-bit costumed criminal called Leap Frog? And how is Daredevil, the Man Without Fear, connected to a child he doesn't even know? His objectivity shattered, Urich finds himself doubting his journalistic integrity and the future of his very profession!
    This story probably isn't for everybody. Like all of Bendis' good stuff, there's very little action and all the focus is on Urich, the narrator.
    The real treat here is David Mack's artwork. This guy can ****ing... he's just... there aren't any words for this.
    The trade is only $9.99 and should be available in a local comic shop. The backissues shouldn't be too hard to track down either - just look for Daredevil v. 2, issues 16-19.

3. Elijya Registered

you can start from either spot and follow easily

I HIGHLY recommend buyting Daredevil in Hardcover format as it's actually cheaper than buying the softcovers. Hardcover Volume 1 includes Guardian Devil by Kevin Smith, and Hardcover Vol 2 starts from the begining of the Bendis/Maleev run

4. Elijya Registered

damn you :mad:

post 100 was gonna be reserved for my Sandman write up.

guess I'll try and get it on the top of page 6....

5. Doc Destruction Geaux Saints!

Here's one not many people talk about, and it's a shame...

MUTANT X

Havok died at the end of X-Factor's run, but his mind was actually throw to another universe where he leads a band of seriously altered and very un-nice versions of his friends. The Fallen is Angel, post Apocalypse tampering...Bloodstorm is Storm having never been cured of Dracula's bite...Iceman has never recovered from Loki's power amping...Brute is Beast, mutated too far and seriously unintelligent...and Maddy Pryor as the Goblin Queen.

Loved the entire run and own it all. If you get the chance, read it.

6. Elijya Registered

welp, thanks to the glitch today, that entire conversation with killgore is gone. I think that was the only recommendation write up that got killed

7. Joined:
    May 27, 2004
    since this is the "recommendations thread" I was wondering on what issue should I start picking up the runaways since its said to be a great book

8. Anubis Sup?

You could buy the entire first season in hardback. Or you could buy the three digests. Then again, you could also start at the begining of the second season, which would be issue one #1.

9. Joined:
    May 27, 2004
    is tere a thirde season cuase I was checking midtown and they had a vol 3 and since im familiar with their backstoies id figured id start with the current arc but Im not sure which issue/volume there on

10. Phaedrus45 Registered

I totally agree. This was a title I was also going to eventually mention. If you like Exiles and the different versions of 616 heroes, then this should be a title you will like. The worst thing about it is the fact they cancelled the title.

[​IMG]

Phaed

11. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

I can't beleive no one has mentioned this one yet. Oh well:

YOUNG JUSTICE
    [​IMG]

This book is, in my honest opinion, comic book writeing at it's best. The basic plot is that it's Teen Titans 2.0. The cast includes:

Superboy: An egotistical, thrill seaking jock with a heart of gold.
    Wondergirl: A sidekick who wants to become the greatest superhero of them all.
    Arrowett: A vigilante who was forced into the buisness by her mother.
    Impulse: A computer nerd prankster who never thinks befor or after he does something.
    Secret: A mesterious ghost girl. Her story is a major sub plot.
    Robin: An inteligent loner. He's one of the few people on the team who takes the job seriously. He and Superboy argue alot.

This book gets everything right. The jokes are funny. The stories are well written. The drama is heartwrenching. The christmas special will leave you doubled over with laughter. The issue dealling with racism will leave you touched and thinking. And don't even get me started about the issue where Lobo (yes Lobo. The main man himself) is de-aged by a wizard. This book, done by Peter David and Todd Nauk, is just bloody brilliant. The entire series is 55 issues long. If you like the current Teen Titans, then this series will blow you out of the water. It is superior to the current Teen Titans in every way and is far more origional.

Well?

What are you waiting for?

GO GET IT!!!!!!

12. JewishHobbit Registered

Good Suggestions with Mutant X. I absolutely LOVED that title!

13. Unthinkable Registered

Does anyone else get bugged by Marvel relauching "seasons" or whatever? You'd think they never heard of fill-in stories before. :o

Anyway, my personal favorite comic by Marvel is Dr. Strange and Dr.Doom: Triumph and Torment. This stunning piece of work done by Roger Stern (writer) and the ever excellent Mike Mignola (artist), is probably my favorite Doom story, barely edging out Unthinkable (what this SN is named after).

Its a very excellent origin story for Dr. Doom. The aged Gahngis sends out a message to all the mystical powerhouses that the competition for Sorcecer Supreme will be decided in a temple. Doom shows up, as does Strange, and in the ensuing conflict for the title, Strange wins, of course. But he must grant Doom a boon, who got second.

Doom requests that Strange helps him save his mother's soul from the grips of Mephisto, and Strange and Doom go into hell and have a really, really cool adventure. :up:

[​IMG]

My next recommendation is for the comic that got me into this, and one that I hold dear to me. I was losing someone close to me to cancer, and my older brother (the orginal Unthinkable, I just stole his SN) gave me this comic, to console me.

It was the Death of Captain Marvel.

Captain Marvel had contracted cancer from a battle a long time ago, and now his body was finally dying from it. As he slowly passes, the universes greatest heroes come to pay respects, as the greatest minds try to scramble for a cure. Alas they can't, and he passes. Definetly by far the most touching story done ever by Marvel, this story transcends the outlandish suits, and flashy battles. Its a masterpiece in every sense of the word. Every Marvel, no every COMIC fan should have this classic. :up:

[​IMG]

14. Unthinkable Registered

I just realized that I named two orginal graphic novels by Marvel. I heard somewhere that they are making new ones, though Joe Q said that they aren't in the fiscal gameplan or whatever. That is too bad, I believe that they are an excellent format, and some of Marvel's best stories was told in that format...

15. Unthinkable Registered

Man, when you said hardback, I just remembered Renaud Man.. Remember the guy who lusted after hardcovers?....He was hilarious, in a sad, dopey kind of way.

16. Anubis Sup?

Yeah, I remember that dork.

There has only been two seasons so far. the current book is season two. It got the relaunch because it wasn't selling well, but, due to critic and fan outcry, they decided to relaunch it and actually put some more advertising on the book. It's been doing okay ever scince. there gonna do the same thing with She-Hulk. The last run by Dan Slott was great. They are gonna relaunch that book later this year. Also, highly recommended.

17. Elijya Registered

Squadron Supreme was Watchmen before Watchmen existed. Originally published as a 12 issue maxi series by Marvel in the early 80's, it was written by the late, great, Marvel editor, Mark Gruenwald.

The Squadron Supreme characters first appeared in the early 70’s in the Avengers as the heroes of earth in another dimension. Obviously, each of the team’s members were based off the Justice League. They essentially served as a way to have the Avengers and Justice League team up or fight without having to go through the red tape of an inter company crossover. They made sporadic appearances over the years, but in them Mark Gruenwald saw the potential vehicle to write what would be his life's greatest work.

The original 12 issue Squadron Supreme series served as an examination of the Lord Acton saying that "Power Corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely". The Squadron, worried that the world may not be able to take care of itself, decides that they should take a more active role in helping it. The slow descent into dictatorship is saddening, as characters rationalize their increasingly totalitarian behavior. At the same time, the book remains a simple superhero story that makes it compelling and entertaining to read. It later served to be a large influence in other comics, particularly The Authority.

The complete series is available in a collected edition and can be found at most comic book stores. Bookstores should be able to order it for you. On an interesting side note, after Mark Gruenwald passed on, his will stipulated that he be cremated, and his ashes mixed with the ink used in one printing of the Squadron Supreme graphic novel, so he could be part of his work forever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Warning: Adult Content. The recommended book below contains foul language, and may contain nudity or other material you may find offensive

Supreme Power is a modern day up-date of the original Squadron Supreme concept, starting from scratch. While the original characters were established heroes, here, we see them start from the beginning. Written by J. Michael Straczynski (he of Babylon 5 and Amazing Spider-Man fame) with art by Gary Frank, the book currently falls under Marvel’s MAX line, which allows adult content (plenty of swearing and occasional boobies) which helps add to the books overall more mature feel.

Supreme Power opens with a familiar scene: an alien rocket carrying a baby crashes in a field and is discovered by a married couple. Without children of their own, they decide the child should be raised properly. The government agrees and promptly relieves the couple of the custody of the child. Realizing his potential as a weapon, the government endeavors to grow the child into someone who will be loyal and obedient to them. The first several issues of the book focus on the raising of the child, whom they name Mark Milton, and codename Hyperion. As he grows up, Mark discovers he is not alone in this world. There are others like him, and all seem to have some connection to his arrival on earth. He begins to question the authority placed over him, and comes to the realization he is under no obligations to listen to anyone. But where this revelation will take him is anyone’s guess.

Currently, Supreme Power is one of the best books Marvel is putting out. There are two soft covers collecting the first twelve issues of the series, and a hardcover collecting the same (the Hardcover is cheaper than the first two, and contains extras features). In addition to the monthly ongoing, a Doctor Spectrum 6 issue miniseries finished a few months ago (Dr. Spectrum is the Green Lantern equivilent), and 6 issues miniseries for Hyperion and Nighthawk (‘Batman’) are on the way. The Supreme Power MAX ongoing ends with issue 18, and will be relaunched under the Marvel Knights imprint with a new #1 (which means less bad words and boobies, but should still be excellent)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Doc Destruction Geaux Saints!

Let me say that the end of Squadron Supreme is one of the most tragic, horrifying endings I've ever read through. Some of the characters I would LOVE to see in other books, like Lamprey and Quagmire and Haywire.

I own the whole run, and it's one of my most cherished.

19. iloveclones spooky....

Actually, that was Lord Acton who came up with that one (the quote, not the comic)

Occasional?!? I wanna live where you do if that's occasional!

Those are two great series by the way. Great write-ups on both of them, Elijya.

20. Elijya Registered

ah, thank you, it shall be edited

hey, I'm engaged, ***** is a nightly gaurauntee, sorry if I'm desensitized

plus, I raised myself on Vertigo books and superhero hentai. comicbook boobies are old hat to me

lastly, yes, occassional boobies. Pick up a milo Manara book if you want wall-to-wall ****

thanks, I wanted to put the effort in for these. Gruenwald deserves it :up:

21. Phaedrus45 Registered

Issue Spotlight: Alpha Flight, vol. 1, issue #12

[​IMG]

Boy, I remember buying this issue when it came out, and by the time I got to the end, I was shocked. This comic dared to take the most recognized character on the team and kill him off. Plus, the way in which he died was so very memorable. AND, they kept him dead far, far longer than I thought they would. This one issue, to me, is the definitive Alpha Flight issue!

22. Anubis Sup?

Okay, Grant Morrison's Animal Man run is one of the best runs ever on a comic. He was one of the first to take a so called "Lame Character" and make them interesting and make you actually care about them. Take Buddy Baker, husband, father, superhero with animal powers. A nobody with in the DC universe. But Morrison took Buddy on a wild ride of an adventrue that would shape the foundation of DC's Vertigo line. He broke the 4th wall and put himself in a story and it actually wasn't lame. He also took a more realistic approach with the character by making him an animal activist. I mean, if you know what it's like to be a killer whale or a baby seal, you most certainly wouldn't want them getting turned into Alpo now would you? Morrison took this D-List character and wrote some of the best stories I've ever read. It's weird, its fun, and it makes you think. And the end of his run will have in awe. Anyway, it's collected in three trades.

Animal Man

[​IMG]

Origin of the Species

[​IMG]

And Dues Ex Machina

[​IMG]

Highly recommended.

23. KAD Registered

Anubis did you get your copy of someplace strange?

24. Anubis Sup?

25. KAD Registered

Kepp me posted I am so looking forward to another opinion on the title