The Official Recommendations Thread

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics' started by Elijya, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Anubis Sup?

sure thing.

2. Elijya Registered

I've put an index in the first post, for easy reference

3. Phaedrus45 Registered

Avengers Forever was a twelve-issue mini series starring The Avengers. The series was written by Kurt Busiek and illustrated by Carlos Pacheco. The series revolved around the "Destiny War", a time-travel based conflict between Kang, The Conqueror and his future self, Immortus.

The Destiny War was ignited when Immortus sent his servant Tempus to kill an apparently critically ill Rick Jones on the moon, knowing that it was the Destiny Force about to manifest within Rick for the second time (after the first time during the Kree-Skrull War) that was killing him. Kang intervened, and the Kree Supreme Intelligence, who Rick had been brought to for examination, triggered Rick to use the Destiny Force to call a team of Avengers to him, plucked from time, causing Immortus' forces to withdraw, having failed to prevent what they had come to do.

[​IMG]

This collection is not for the new reader wanting to just get into Avengers, but for those who love the history of comics and the history of the Avengers. The writer knows his Marvel continuity, and each chapter is filled with references to Avengers comics of the past. PLUS, you even get an index at the end of each chapter letting you know where you can find out more of what has been happening or being refered to. This was definitely a gift for the die-hard fans.

4. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

Uncle Sam
    [​IMG]

This is, IMO, the best comic book ever. It is the story of Sam, a homless man who has visions of America's past and may or may not be Uncle Sam, the liveing embodyment of the human spirit. It is an in depth look at the mistakes of our past, polotics, corruption, the light and dark sides of human nature, and talking bears. Yes. I said it. Uncle Sam has a talking bear. It takes a look at the worst and best parts of the history of America, and other counries such as Britan, Russia, and France. It show us that, yes, America was built on strong moral ideas. But so was the U.S.S.R. Our ideals can be manipulated and perverted by weak, selfish people. Our country is becomeing increasingly corrupt and self centred. But it doesn't have to be that way. This is a must for anyone who is interested in politics, anyone who is interested in history, and anyone who is interested ina good story.

5. Elijya Registered

I'd also like to add that it contains some of Alex Ross's most powerful work ever

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

True. There's one I really like but can't post here. It's the one where Uncle Sam is on the recruitment poster, but his giveing the middle finger.

7. KAD Registered

Some odd books to have in your posession would be:

Eradicators: Decent indie book. First Ron Lim. Average team book.

Faust: Tim Vigil. A walk on the very dark side of comics. Incredible art.

Empire Lanes 1 & 2: Great take on D&D type fantasy.

Lobo ParamilitaryChristmas Special

Lobo

Ill think of more and post art when I get a chance.

8. Anubis Sup?

"Die you Naughty Bastard!!!!"

9. Elijya Registered

:(.

10. KAD Registered

Some odd books to have in your posession would be:

Eradicators: Decent indie book. First Ron Lim. Average team book.
    the Eradicators is a group of heroes that come together to fight an intergalactic warlord. They are human martial artists and aliens with a robot or two thrown in.

Not high fair but fun comic. Also the first Ron Lim.

Faust: Tim Vigil. A walk on the very dark side of comics. Incredible art.

Faust is the story of M a crime lord and satanic cult leader that is trying to put Satan on top.

Faust is a homicidal maniac that was supposed to help M put the big S on top but his Love of rhis therapist changes that.

One of the goriest comics ever

Empire Lanes 1 & 2: Great take on D&D type fantasy.

EL is the story of a band of adventurers (alah D&D) that open a portal in a dungeon to escape some enemies. Upon exiting the portal they find themselves in modern day NY.

Very fun story good art.

Lobo ParamilitaryChristmas Special

Not much to say except that any book where the Easter bunny pays a hitman to off Saint Nick is a must have.

Lobo

One of the best mini series ever.

Ill think of more and post art when I get a chance.

11. KAD Registered

All in good time.

12. Elijya Registered

better, but still... :(

why don't you do full write ups instead of saying you'll come back to flesh out mini ones?

13. KAD Registered

Please stop what?

You asked for a sentence or two about each book.

Ill write a synopsis of Lobo once I get a chance.

14. Elijya Registered

I'm sorry, I really hate to be whining about this, I really do, KAD

it's just, take a look at every other write up in this thread, then take a look at each of yours. There's a big difference in the amount of effort put into em

15. KAD Registered

Sorry about that.

I will write a synopsis of each offline and post when they reach critical mass.

16. Elijya Registered

thanks KAD. one of the main reasons I ask is anyone browsing through the recommends is likely to skip over a list, or not take to heart books you haven't described to them. Like I said, pitch the book, be a salesmen. You've got to inform, but not over-inform. Tell them the things that will make them WANT to read the book

a good template for these are the synopsis that are on the back of most trade paperback's

17. Anubis Sup?

What would happen if Doom ruled the earth? Pretty much what happens in Empire. When a super villian finally gets what he wants, world domonation, he's faced with the question of, now what? This is the story of such a villian. Who through his own force of will, has managed to take over, but now he has to worry about rebels, plots to take his life, his own lackeys trying to put together a coup, and his if that aint enough, he has a teenage daughter to worry about. This is a great little story from Mark Waid about the price you pay for world domination. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Ben Urich Registered

I have to admit, I'm a DC/Marvel kind of guy. I hardly ever read any independent books because I have a lot of money and love invested in the DC and Marvel universes. That said, I was able to pick up a great indy book recently, and I really have to sell this to you all. I would be remiss if I didn't.
    [​IMG]
    Scurvy Dogs: Rags to Riches
    Andrew Boyd and Ryan Yount
    AiT/Planetlar (2005)
    160 pages, B+W Interiors
    Buy from Amazon
    ---
    I love pirates. I think every fanboy loves pirates. Sadly, there aren't too many pirate comics out there (and no, that thing in Watchmen doesn't count). Andrew Boyd and Ryan Yount have delivered a hilarious pirate comic that'll please comic fans who prefer lighthearted humor (Spider-Man/Human Torch) over rape and gloom (Identity Crisis).
    The story follows Blackbeard the Pirate and four of his quirky companions in the present day as they search for jobs, fight monkeys, and try to score with Vampirella.
    You heard me.
    Boyd's script is funny and the story only drags during the title's only two-issue arc, which seems a bit too serious when compared to the other stories. Yount's artwork is simple and cartoony, with a storytelling style similar to Michael Avon Oeming (Powers), although he isn't quite as dramatic.
    Also in this collection - some concept artwork by Yount and commentary on every issue (although the commentary is in the back of the book, so you'll have to some flipping from page to page to really enjoy it).
    Tell you what: if you see this in the store, read the first little story. It's about 8 pages and shows Blackbeard and Co's encounter with a ship of Portugese lepers. If you like that sequence (and you will, trust me) - you'll LOVE the rest of the book.

19. Venom Drool Guest

anyone pick up mnemovore?
    it was stuck to one of the issues i picked up today so i was wondering.. seeing as how i now have issue four.. if perhaps the series is as good as it appears to be from what i have read...

20. OtepApe Registered

Can anyone suggest some good Avengers stories for someone who is just getting into them?

21. Twitch Outlaw

What's the name of the book?

22. Doc Destruction Geaux Saints!

23. KAD Registered

You want it all but you can't have it.

24. Phaedrus45 Registered

Faith No More

25. Twitch Outlaw

Thank you