Age of Ultron The Official Scarlet Witch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saoirse_Scarlet_Witch.jpg

Perfect. :hrt:

I went and saw that horrible movie just for her. :funny:

Maybe they're going with her type as she actually looks in real life because Marvel can't use the classic image of Wanda with her dark hair or gypsy-like eastern european features?

Why wouldn't they be able to?

If Fox have rights to certain visual representations of the character and Marvel have other visual representations, then they might be limited. Or maybe one only has the essence of the character but can't make it look like the classic image at all.

Viper in The Wolverine was somewhat similar. She wasn't the Madame Hydra look but reimagined as some kind of mutant who could shed her skin and has a long tongue. Also she has blonde hair instead of the familiar dark green.

If Fox have rights to certain visual representations of the character and Marvel have other visual representations, then they might be limited. Or maybe one only has the essence of the character but can't make it look like the classic image at all.

I don't think thats how it works. I think it's divided along concept, not look. I doubt either company specifically laid exclusive claim to the character's ethnicity.

Viper in The Wolverine was somewhat similar. She wasn't the Madame Hydra look but reimagined as some kind of mutant who could shed her skin and has a long tongue. Also she has blonde hair instead of the familiar dark green.

That might have just been an aesthetic choice because they thought the green hair looked silly in the context of the film.

I don't think thats how it works. I think it's divided along concept, not look. I doubt either company specifically laid exclusive claim to the character's ethnicity.

That might have just been an aesthetic choice because they thought the green hair looked silly in the context of the film.

Not ethnicity per se but design rights, and physical representations which might have been trademarked and included in those IP rights which Fox were assigned. The use of Ronan for Scarlet Witch (who looks decidedly different from the character) might be not because they wish to change her ethnicity but that they have to come up with a different visual representation to distinguish it from a design which Fox might hold.

Not ethnicity per se but design rights, and physical representations which might have been trademarked and included in those IP rights which Fox were assigned. The use of Ronan for Scarlet Witch (who looks decidedly different from the character) might be not because they wish to change her ethnicity but that they have to come up with a different visual representation to distinguish it from a design which Fox might hold.

But if you think about it, casting a British (okay, Irish, but she'll probably do a British accent for the part) actor in the part makes a stronger connection to the Fox films, what with Ian McKellan and all.

^ Fassbender is part Irish. That's an even better connection. :woot:

But for the wrong movie. If it were Ronan in XM: DOFP as Scarlet Witch instead, it might be more appropriate. Marvel's Wanda isn't even connected to Magneto.

But for the wrong movie. If it were Ronan in XM: DOFP as Scarlet Witch instead, it might be more appropriate. Marvel's Wanda isn't even connected to Magneto.

That is entirely my point. It seems unlikely that they'd consider casting Ronan for the purposes of being different from what Fox wants to do seeing as it would actually strengthen the connection with Fox's X-Men films.

Also, Marvel's Wanda may very well be connected to Magneto. The legal issue is simply that they can't mention Magneto by name or use the word Mutant. But legally they can imply whatever they want. It could very well be that Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch will be described as having been born with their powers and being the children of a militant political radical, and just never explicitly say "Mutant" or "Magneto."

Absent actual evidence, I don't buy that this is some effort to avoid an appearance license issue. If the contract actually did specify and restrict based on appearance, it would leave too many opportunities for loophole abuse.

( I don't consider Viper evidence; I consider her "we aren't feeling beholden to the comics, and especially don't want to tie her to an organization we don't have the rights to" )

Well at least according to a recent interview joss isn't wavering so we should still see the real wanda and Pietro!

I hope we get a casting announcement soon that will really knock this fox business out of the spotlight.

Absent actual evidence, I don't buy that this is some effort to avoid an appearance license issue. If the contract actually did specify and restrict based on appearance, it would leave too many opportunities for loophole abuse.

( I don't consider Viper evidence; I consider her "we aren't feeling beholden to the comics, and especially don't want to tie her to an organization we don't have the rights to" )

Yeah, odds are, if the are seriously considering Ronan, it's probably just because Joss Whedon saw Hannah or The Lovely Bones and thought she was a good actor.

This is a really left-field choice, and probably won't happen since she's tied up with Superman, but how about Antje Traue - Faora in Man of Steel?

movies-man-of-steel-antje-traue.jpg

If she grows her hair and curls it I think she'd look like comic Wanda

Depending on DC's contract with her, I think she'd be good.

I doubt there would be a clause in the contract preventing her from being in a Marvel film. Even you mean a clause for appearing in future Man of Steel sequels, I still think she'd have time for A2. She certainly looks the part.

This is a really left-field choice, and probably won't happen since she's tied up with Superman, but how about Antje Traue - Faora in Man of Steel?

movies-man-of-steel-antje-traue.jpg

If she grows her hair and curls it I think she'd look like comic Wanda

Actually, i thought she'd make a great Wasp. She sure as bad place looks like the character.

Marvel-wasp-avengers-movie-cast.jpg

No...I disagree. She looks way too masculine to play Janet.

She would be a good choice for Wasp and a better choice for Scarlet Witch!

And what exactly makes you think that? She isn't a good choice for either really. She's too old to play Wanda and too masculine to play Wasp.

Antje gives off more of a WW type than the dainty girly Wasp.

Antje gives off more of a WW type than the dainty girly Wasp.

Yeah, Faora was a sho-nuff ash-kicking amazon. Something Wasp most definitely isn't. Neither is Wanda, for that matter.

Along those lines, Antje would have made a perfect Maria Hill; much better than the vapid Cobie Smulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"