The Official Suicide Squad Rotten Tomatoes Thread - Part 1

Both Bourne and Apocalypse got panned because they didn't live up to the high standards of the previous films.

This is not rocket science.

The twists and turns of logic that some employ when it comes to why a film gets a bad review is quite mind boggling.

Bad movie = bad reviews.

Fanboys work in extremes. If it's not frothing with hyperbole, it's panned. Personally, critics got it right with Apocalypse.

I personally though Apocalypse deserved a worse score. What an awful movie to me. Worst blockbuster I've seen this year and I'm a huge X Men comic/X Men film fan

I personally though Apocalypse deserved a worse score. What an awful movie to me. Worst blockbuster I've seen this year and I'm a huge X Men comic/X Men film fan

See, I didn't mind it. But then I have zero investment in the X Men. I can cheerfully see it was a poor movie, but couldn't bring myself to care that much. I didn't spend any money on it, so it was fine.

Personally i disagreed with them with Bourne and X-Men, but we'll see here since we agreed on other stuff like BvS, Warcraft and Alice through the looking Glass.

And critics usually are generous to blockbusters. As long as it's a bit of fun you got yourself a 70 or above. Most comic book movies get very charitable RT ratings.

C is factually, objectively considered positive, average-above average or "passing".

Well, I don't know about that. School ratings work a bit differently than almost anything else would, as anything south of -59 would be considered an F. And frankly, giving a movie 5/10 stars doesn't seem to call for an F rating lol.

Using basic math, assuming that there are 13 ratings total (A+,A,A-,B+,B,B-,C+,C,C-,D+,D,D-,F) that would mean each grade is worth around 0.76 stars. So with that in mind, a C would be worth around 4.6/10 or to estimate 5/10.

Of course - this is all completely subjective as everyone has their own rating system and I myself have never seen this man's reviews. Maybe he clarifies that C=7/10, but in terms of people I know personally I could never imagine them saying "It was alright... I'd give it maybe a C. Definitely 7/10 stars" lol.

That said, I don't care about ratings in slightest and still look forward to catching my screening this Friday.

Should it be more along the lines of this :
F - 1 or 2 out of 10
D - 3 or 4 out of 10
C - 5 or 6 out of 10
B - 7 or 8 out of 10
A - 9 or 10 out of 10

that is how i would rate it

The twists and turns of logic that some employ when it comes to why a film gets a bad review is quite mind boggling.

Bad movie = bad reviews.

Bad reviews means bad reviews. Nothing more, nothing less.

No idea ??? You have an E in rating ?

Man, in Serbia, in primary and secondary school you get graded from 1 (fail) to 5 (excellent), and in collage from 5 (fail) to 10 (excellent). We don't use letter or percentage grading, so it's all Greek to me.

Should it be more along the lines of this :
F - 1 or 2 out of 10
D - 3 or 4 out of 10
C - 5 or 6 out of 10
B - 7 or 8 out of 10
A - 9 or 10 out of 10

that is how i would rate it
I think it's more
10-9= A
8= B
7= C
6= D
5 and lower= F or failing at least that's how I see it/read it

Bad reviews means bad reviews. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ah, so Batman and Robin & Catwoman are okay movies then? And The Dark Knight isn't good? Or Avengers?

I think bad reviews do generally mean bad movies, with a very few exceptions.

Well, I don't know about that. School ratings work a bit differently than almost anything else would, as anything south of -59 would be considered an F. And frankly, giving a movie 5/10 stars doesn't seem to call for an F rating lol.

Using basic math, assuming that there are 13 ratings total (A+,A,A-,B+,B,B-,C+,C,C-,D+,D,D-,F) that would mean each grade is worth around 0.76 stars. So with that in mind, a C would be worth around 4.6/10 or to estimate 5/10.

Of course - this is all completely subjective as everyone has their own rating system and I myself have never seen this man's reviews. Maybe he clarifies that C=7/10, but in terms of people I know personally I could never imagine them saying "It was alright... I'd give it maybe a C. Definitely 7/10 stars" lol.

That said, I don't care about ratings in slightest and still look forward to catching my screening this Friday.

This is true, sure. I was basing it on an academic grading scale, which usually consist of only 5 letters anyway. Anything below a 60 is failing, but it works the same with the Rotten Tomatoes meter. Any film with a 59 meter or below is "rotten". As far as I know C's have counted as fresh in most cases, as they represent the 70-79 percentage. Wether its a C- or +. A grading scale like this doesn't translate to a star rating, since a normal percentage will range from 0-100. Unless you're doing a scale of 100 stars lol.

Still, either way a C is "passing" anyway you logically look at it. Not translating it to a never-used 13 star rating system lol.

Edit: If we are incorperating E as some countries do, then it would bump C up even further to positive. I'm just basing it on the US with my response.

Last edited:
Both Snyder & Ayer did what they want most of the time and critically movies have been failure. Audience response remain to be seen for SS. If the movie is really bad, WB should take back some creative responsibilities of directors. It's a billion dollar industry after all.

Ah, so Batman and Robin & Catwoman are okay movies then? And The Dark Knight isn't good? Or Avengers?

I think bad reviews do generally mean bad movies, with a very few exceptions.

Though to be completely fair, you're comparing widely-panned films to ones that won multiple awards. I get what you're saying, and I agree to an extent, but I think anything around the 30-60% zone (using RT as reference) is more of a gamble and relies on what your taste is. Some people like Thor 2, others think it's garbage. Some didn't like the last Ninja Turtles movie, others had a blast with it. It's not like Suicide Squad is receiving Batman and Robin-level-smack.

Though to be completely fair, you're comparing widely-panned films to ones that won multiple awards. I get what you're saying, and I agree to an extent, but I think anything around the 30-60% zone (using RT as reference) is more of a gamble and relies on what your taste is. Some people like Thor 2, others think it's garbage. Some didn't like the last Ninja Turtles movie, others had a blast with it. It's not like Suicide Squad is receiving Batman and Robin-level-smack.

Agreed. I'm using extreme examples to underline a point, but it's a valid one. It's very, very rare for a movie that has a general consensus of poor reviews to actually be a good movie that is loved by the GA.

Still, either way a C is "passing" anyway you logically look at it. Not translating it to a never-used 13 star rating system lol.

Though technically, an A+ out of F scale us a 13-star-system but fair enough. Here's to hoping the movie is enjoyable

It seems like more of the online personalities I follow at least gave this a passing grade. Althoughmost of them said the same about BvS and X Men Apocalypse

I really think they should add more YouTube reviewers to Rt

I think this Grade discussion is going way outta hand.

It wasn't if C was a good review in general which I agree could have varying opinions.

The discussion was if Chris Stuckmann's C-review was a positive review or not (which is a stupid thing to actually debate over, but whatever).

That can only be determined by how he rates other movies- for context he rated Independence Day Resurgence a C, Ghostbusters a C and Legend of Tarzan a C+.

With RT I'm just wondering sometimes I see review scores which are the same (for example I see multiple 3/5 scores) yet one will be Fresh the other Rotten, why is that?

or context he rated Independence Day Resurgence a C, Ghostbusters a C and Legend of Tarzan a C+.
And they are more or less all on the same level. Those three, having seen them.

i think the reviewer chooses whether he thinks the movie is fresh or rotten.
again, a very subjective thing if they give it the same score but ultimately a different verdict.

Stuckmann's review felt more like an overall negative that noted a few redeeming qualities to me, rather than a positive that noted a few pesky flaws. IMO

On the other hand Jeremy Jahns seemed to have a good time with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"