Sequels The Official The Lizard in Spider-Man 4 thread!

The Lizard

Didn't eat Billy
Reaction score
To be honest, I didn't think that there would be a very good chance of the Lizard appearing in Spider-Man 4 after we already saw the monster villain Venom appear in SM3. However, there are some recent quotes floating around from some Spidey movie big names that mention good old Lizzy as a possibility after all.

So, despite being disappointed multiple times by the Lizard not ending up in either Spider-Man 2 or Spider-Man 3 (although I'm now glad he wasn't in the third movie), I'm going to go ahead and start up yet another Lizard-centric thread for Spider-Man 4. Hope springs eternal, eh?

LizardASM165.gif

Sam Raimi mentions the Lizard as a future Spidey movie possibility:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1563359/20070625/story.jhtml

...Whether that story line works out or not, Raimi hopes to finally reward Dylan Baker's patience with a villainous payoff similar to what Franco enjoyed in "3." "I love Dylan Baker as a person, and I really like the character he is developing," the filmmaker said of Dr. Curt Connors, Parker's one-armed, screen-time-challenged professor in the first three flicks.

"The Lizard is probably one of my favorite characters," he said of the baddie Connors eventually became in the comics. (He joined the Sinister Six when they became the Sinister Twelve, by the way.) "But ['Spider-Man 4'] will probably have to start with the central journey of the main character to arrive at the proper villain."

Yeah, it was great to hear Raimi mention his fondness for the Lizard, and how he'd love to finally reward Dylan Baker's patience with the character.

Also super psyched he mentioned Electro and the Sinister Six, too. But right now, Lizard needs his due. Conners is well established now. Lets see him grow some green scales and give Spidey an ass whuppin.

Spidey movie producer Grant Curtis likes the idea of the Lizard in SM4:

http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=2127

"For me it's hard to beat the Lizard, it truly is. That's just me talking. I think the Lizard has got a great story of not only personal pain but also emotional pain, and trying to mask both of those, it's a strong storyline. The Lizard has always been a favorite of mine, even before working on these movies. I've always liked Kraven The Hunter, but he'd have to be used selectively. For me though it would have to be the Lizard."

There's a few good threads about certain Lizard specifics out there that deserve to have certain posts and ideas repeated here. For example:

1. Would depicting Dr. Connors as a main character be a problem because of how Otto Octavius was changed to be more "Connors-like" in SM2?
The Lizard's story is told in Spider-Man 2. Raimi and co wrote the Lizard's story - and then gave it to Doctor Octopus. You can watch the film and see the parts of it that were supposed to be Connors and the Lizard, performed by Ock instead.

2. What's up with that "I'm a physicist, not a biologist." line from Connors in SM3?

3. Since a Lizard vs Kraven vs Spidey storyline is used in the Sony SM3 video game, does that mean that there's now less chance of it being used in an actual movie?

4. How should the Lizard's transformation and possible cure be handled in a film version?
I'll take this opportunity to restate a somewhat controversial opinion of mine --- I don't think that Dr. Connors should be cured at the end of the hypothetical movie. At least not all the way.

To avoid comparisons with the Hulk and to add a slightly increased level of realism to the Lizard character, the initial transformation from Connors to Lizard should be shown to take place over an extended period of time (sort of like in the modern version of The Fly). How this would be shown would depend on the structure of the film of course but Connors' transformation could take place in the background while the focus is on a secondary villain or storyline, or the whole transformation process could be shown as a flashback after the Lizard is already on the loose. Since the physiological changes that happen during the mutation from man to lizard-man are so extensive, the Lizard should not transform to and from human form during the film. He could just get more and more lizard-like as the plot progresses, perhaps starting out as the intelligent talking Lizard and ending up as the savage beastial Lizard.

When we finally get to the "cure," whether it be something whipped up by Spider-Man or something taken from Connors' lab, it can have a partial effect in the Lizard, perhaps restoring the mind of Dr. Connors. What a poignant tragedy to have the mind of Connors still trapped in the monstrous body of the Lizard. Thus we could see the unfortunate Doctor taken away to some kind of secret government holding facility (how about The Vault?) and even though the Lizard doesn't get killed, the ending is still downbeat in classic Spidey style.

An alternative to this would be to show Connors in captivity slowly turning back to human form. Maybe show him looking human, but with rough skin and no hair as he slowly turns back and waits for a chance to be with his family again.

5. What secondary villain, if any, should be featured with the Lizard?
I think it can work if there is fewer than 3 (2 is doable) and if they compliment each other very well. Lizard and Kraven don't have to team up and rather serve as an interesting NEW dynamic not seen in a superhero movie. The hero protecting one villain from another while the public thinking he has lost his mind and is helping a "monster," in the Lizard.

6. And of course, what should a movie Lizard look like?

I've said it before, they've been grooming this character from day one. He's GOT to be in the next film.

1. Would depicting Dr. Connors as a main character be a problem because of how Otto Octavius was changed to be more "Connors-like" in SM2?
Well yes there would be some similarities. However, once Connors would become the Lizard his family would play an integral role. With his wife despretly trying to help him and try to get him cured.
2. What's up with that "I'm a physicist, not a biologist." line from Connors in SM3?
Studying the symbiote sparked interest in Connors for biology?
3. Since a Lizard vs Kraven vs Spidey storyline is used in the Sony SM3 video game, does that mean that there's now less chance of it being used in an actual movie?
The video games, while based on the movies, are not in continuity with them. I could go on with lots of differences, different paths and continuity errors with the games.
Kraven

I wouldn't worry too much about Octavius having some of Conner's qualities in SM-2, Lizard. There's the whole family angle they can do with Conners that was not done with Octavius.

Ock lost his wife, Conners can be a danger to his and his son.

Wife and child?

Parallels with Sandman too.

Wife and child?

Parallels with Sandman too.
True, but they didnt play a big part in SM3 (though I still wish they kept that scene in with his family at the end but oh well).

Just because they both have a family doesn't mean they are too similar.

I hate people's definitions of "mirror"...they end up making everything seem too similar.

The Lizard could defenitley work in Spidey4. I have been waiting to see the Lizard on Film. One of the interesting factors about the Lizard which was first discovered in AMS Issue #44, or 45 is how the Lizard wanted to find Connors when really the Lizard is Dr. Connors which I think could be added to the Lizard on Film. I also believe that even though Sandman was sympathetic and had a family in Spidey3, I still think that His family could be in the Film and have his wife worrying where He is and crying alot. and also having Billy (Dr. Connors son) doing what He did in the Comics such as thinking Spidey is cool and wondering where His father is, etc. The Lizard is truly a great Villian and should defenitley be the Villian in Spidey4.

lizard is easily one of spidey's best villians. sam doesn't have to create emotional depth for the character the conners already has it.
this is a chance to sam to do a monster movie in the spider-man universe.
I for one will be bitterly disappointed if lizard isn't the main (only) villian in spider-man 4.

c'mon sam you have been building the character for three movies time for the pay off, put sinister 6 (*shudder*) on tha back burner for the time being, there's a good lad.

I REALLY hope Tobey comes back. He's the reason I got into Spidey. :heart:
The Lizard would be really cool to see on screen.:up:
Lizard_%28comics%29.jpg

Love the Lizard. It was one of my favourites as a kid.

I REALLY hope Tobey comes back. He's the reason I got into Spidey. :heart:
The Lizard would be really cool to see on screen.:up:
Lizard_%28comics%29.jpg

That's a cool pic of Lizard. Love to see that on the big screen.

Definitely a problem, but one that can be overcome. Looking back, I wish Spider-Man, not Peter Parker, had been the one to ask Dr. Connors for help with the symbiote. That way, it would be both more in line with the comics, and evolve their relationship. Movie Doc Ock liked Peter Parker, but hated Spider-Man. Movie Connors could have liked both, until becoming the Lizard. Also, I think people will be able to sympathize more with Dr. Connors not only because of Billy, but because he's been more developed.

I agree with Ultimate Venom, I don't think its a big deal if they just say that dealing with the symbiote sparked an interest in the field and gave him the idea for the whole arm regeneration thing.

I don't think so slash hopefully not.

4. How should the Lizard's transformation and possible cure be handled in a film version?
I just hope in that in the end, Spidey doesn't reveal himself in a likely-to-be-botched effort to convince his enemy not to beat up on him because he's Peter Parker.

Kraven.

I'm conflicted because I don't want a Steve Ditko Lizard with the slightly humanoid face. But I also don't want a dinosaur.

I'm conflicted because I don't want a Steve Ditko Lizard with the slightly humanoid face. But I also don't want a dinosaur.

Yeah, the trick is making a lizardlike monster that's not too much like a Jurassic Park 'raptor. It can be done, but someone's going to actually have to use their brains.

^ I think that if Sam doesn't go with the Classic Comic Lizard look then I think they should go with TAS Lizard. or it culd be similar to this Lizard.
ssm238_warm_meat.jpg

The lizard is the only way to go for sm4 for more than obvious reasons.

Hey Lizard. I'm new here but I've been reading posts for years and your loyalty to The lizard and your pursuit to see him on the big screen is great. I REALLY want to see him in SM4. I really think they can play with the idea and look to make him appropriate for film.

If the next movie only had Lizard, I'd be satisfied.
spidermanhero12, You're always sticking up for sm3 and i love you for that.

Hey Lizard. I'm new here but I've been reading posts for years and your loyalty to The lizard and your pursuit to see him on the big screen is great. I REALLY want to see him in SM4. I really think they can play with the idea and look to make him appropriate for film.

If the next movie only had Lizard, I'd be satisfied.
spidermanhero12, You're always sticking up for sm3 and i love you for that.
thanks dude:yay:

(p.s. I fixed the picture in the previous post).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"