The Official Thor News and Set Pics Thread

Discussion in 'Thor' started by louiebling$, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humphrey Bogart Registered

I don't really get the rationale behind leaving Blake entirely out. Thats kind of a big part of the story. I'm sure there is a way to get beyond the cheesier elements involved in it and leaving Blake out means leaving out characters that are connected to him and not Thor.

2. Chewy REDACTED

The rationale behind it is that they have 2 hours to convey to an audience who Thor is and what makes him unique, not a hundred or so issues to explore the dichotomy between Thor and Blake. And the reality of the situation is that a lot of the "Thor is corny" perception is a direct result of Blake

3. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Hmmm Wonder if they plan on using part of the idea they were going to use way back in the Hulk/Thor movie? In order for Thor to return to Asgard he had to do a certain amount of "Good Deeds"?
    That was the BASIS for the TV show they wanted to do for Thor but because Thor wanted to Drink all the time they nixed the series. The same idea can still be used WITHOUT Blake in any form.

4. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

That could work. But it has a very delicate balance.

The problem is, Thor shouldn't do good deeds for selfish reasons, like returning to Asgard. He should do it because of his love for Earth, his will to protect the innocent or something like that.

But it could work if he started doing good for selfish reasons and then, as he knows Humanity better, has a change of heart and becomes a selfless, mature man, always trying to do the best for the right reasons.

Yeah, just like every character Tom Cruise has ever played. :oldrazz:

#54 Canis Sapiens, Jun 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  5. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Well think about it. It would HELP Thor if he did have to do good deeds if he were with the Avengers, that's what they do.
    Thor might be at the beginning of those deeds in his own movie.

6. Humphrey Bogart Registered

If it is a two hour movie the first hour or so could be used to convey everything one would need to know about Thor, Asgard, ect and why Odin saw fit to banish him to earth. The second half could then be used to show his redemption as he works to rebuild his character while partially confined to the body of Donald Blake. I'm sure the "corny" elements can be worked out, especially considering JMS's run on the comic.

7. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

But then, the audience would have only half a movie to know Blake, learn about his relationship with Thor, and see Thor getting used with aspects of mortal/modern life. All that, besides the villain arc and the final battle.

So much information and characters, so little time. I don't think it would work.

8. Spider-ManHero12 Web-Slinger

Hmmm, interesting. :up:

9. Ash Talon Registered

Donald Blake wasn't around for Simonson's run, and it's arguably the best run of the character.

Thor took on a secret identity, but it was as a construction worker. He was a huge guy, which makes sense to have one actor portray the character.

I think Odin banishing Thor to Earth is enough of a punishment. He doesn't need to trap him in a frail body as well.

I hope at least the first act of the movie takes place in Asgard. I wanna see some damn Frost Giants. Maybe Loki will invade Earth with some Asgardian forces? That would be pretty awesome! We're used to seeing superheroes vs supervillains. Maybe the redefined notion Feige is talking about is superhero vs supernatural/monstrous forces?

I like the idea of Loki being carried forward as an Avengers villain. It's respectful to the comics, although I don't think Loki will be cause of the Avengers forming. Loki will have to have some brand new tricks up his sleeve for the Avengers movie, though. He could turn the Hulk against the Avengers like in the comics, although I don't wanna just see the Hulk fighting the Avengers for the whole movie. It needs a more involved plot.

I could give 2 poops about Shakespearian dialogue for Thor. The current Thor comic ignores it and it's a good read. We don't need Olde English. Just get a little inspiration from LOTR. Thor can speak proper English without sounding too flowery.

10. protocida Registered

In the 1° draft of the Script...

... Thor is banished to Earth after an incident during his birthday. He's striped out of his divine power (Who's placed in Mjolnir) and send to Earth, were he becomes an slave in an Viking city.

Maybe they're keeping that?

11. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

I doubt that. According to the recent interviews, it seems that Thor will be banished to modern Earth.

Because of that, I also think he will not be banished right after he gets Mjolnir, as in the first draft, but centuries after that.

But of course, this is all speculation. We could all be wrong...

12. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Yeah I wish I knew for sure what was going on with the script.

13. aka Kal el Registered

It all comes down to Budget! If it's set in modern times that saves a huge amount for other things like special effects. Think more Real world less Asgard..........:word:

14. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Well from what I'm hearing back when Vaughn was directing the 1st draft was at 300 mil, Marvel ordered it cut by 150 mil, after Iron-Man came out it was bumped up to 200 mil, so it's not really the money but possibly time they need.
    There's alot to be covered no matter what they do with or without Blake, and personally I don't think Blake should be used until the end of the first movie if he's used at all.
    If Marvel is wanting this to be their "lotr" then Asgard NEEDS to be IN the moive. It can be done cheaper than they think I mean each LotR film was pretty cheap if you stop and think about what they had in each movie.
    I really think they should use a look that Walt,and JMS/Coipel, have used over the "theme park" look Kirby used, not that I'm not a fan of Kirby's Asgard just that something like that would cost more I would think.

15. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

Totally agree! :up:

16. chiefchirpa Haaa-rooooooo

Setting it in ordinary, modern world will certainly save a lot of production money. I think that's one of the reasons why the script was changed.

17. Humphrey Bogart Registered

Great point.

18. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I don't think that's specifically because Blake wasn't around. JMS is currently proving that fun stuff can come of Blake's involvement. The Doctors Without Borders thing was cool, and now he's a local community doc for Broxton.

19. Vartha Mod of Thunder

I don't have to big of a problem with that, it's not having Asgard at all.

20. donk70 "Him"

Alexander Skarsgard Reveals on Playing "Thor"

"True Blood" actor Alexander Skarsgard was previously in-talks for the title role in the upcoming "Thor" film. He seemed like a great fit, being 32-years-old, 6'4 tall, blonde, voted sexiest man in Sweden, and being the son of Stellan Skarsgard. But the role eventually went to Chris Hemsworth (Star Trek).

Now, Skarsgard tells MTV News that he was very close to being cast. So close, that he even filmed an audition in the complete Thor costume, hammer and all. "Yeah," he said. "That was pretty fun."

Skarsgard added that he is still hopeful that one day he might land another comic book-based role. And since Kevin Feige is planning on briging back actors who auditioned for "Thor" for other Marvel role, we might still see Skarsgard as a superhero.

"It depends on the circumstances," Skarsgard said of possible roles in "Captain America" or "The Avengers." "Who the director is, and what the character is. But of course [I'd be interested in looking into it]. I think it's every little boy's dream; it would be a person's dream to play an action hero."
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=7952

21. ArmsHeldOut James K. Delaney

Donald Blake was around briefly in the very first issue of Simonson's run. During the initial fight with Beta Ray Bill, Thor prematurely reverted back into Blake, enabling Bill to take the upper hand and claim Mjolnir. So in essence, one could say that Blake's involvement served as a catalyst for all that happened thereafter.

22. aka Kal el Registered

Huzzah!!:word:

23. chiefchirpa Haaa-rooooooo

Wait for the Sentry (blond - Marvel loves blond so much, long hair, tall) if he does go big on comics.

24. FaT_tONle Registered

Is Thor still going to be living like a human being on Earth? Interacting with ordinary people? Or is he still going to walk around in the costume and the wig? He might look out of place is all I am saying.

25. Judson Caspian Registered

Hi, I'm Kevin Feige. Donald Blake is not going to be in the film and I won't explain why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.