The Official Thor News and Set Pics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21619

Jonah Weiland: Joe, we’ve spent the last couple of days talking Marvel’s publishing plans, so let's move to the world of Hollywood, an area Marvel has been staking a claim in pretty dramatically over the past few years. Let’s talk about the day you spent with “Thor” director Kenneth Branagh. You went on a a creative retreat with him, did you not?

Joe Quesada: It’s funny that you’re bringing this up as I’m leaving for LA on Monday for the week. I’ll be immersed in Marvel Hollywood business. Someone tell Scarlett I’m on my way! [laughs]

But yes, I sure did. We had one big creative meeting with the Marvel Creative Committee, which now works on all of our movies and I have the honor to be a part of. We sat with Kenneth and discussed the "Thor" movie and the overarching story of what that's going to be, just to give our input before anything was put down to paper by screenwriters.

And it was one of the highlights of my time here at Marvel because not only did Branagh sit there and give you the story beat for beat, he and [Marvel Studios head] Kevin Feige formed a great team. It was performance art. Kevin would give us the establishment of the shot and the situation: "Here we are. We're in (take your pick of location). And here's Odin and he’s coming up to (pick a character)." And then Kenneth would come in and give you the color commentary. "Odin has an air of majesty to him" and he'd act out the Odin part or the Thor part. So we sat there and literally got a three-hour one-man show from Kenneth Branagh. It was fantastic. People pay a lot of money for that kind of performance by one of the world’s greatest living actors.

And of course, he's got that great, charming British accent, so it makes it all go down easy too. [laughs] He could have said anything, and we would have said, "Yeah. Make that." He has such a passion for the material, and he's sitting there describing things from the Kirby run and things from the Simonson run, citing places where the mythology conflicted in Marvel history and how we're going to streamline it. It was just fascinating to watch.

As much as this may sadden Kenneth, he reminded me a lot of Mark Millar. He has a very charming, yet mischievous manner about him that makes him instantly likable.

After that, I was lucky enough about a month ago to see Kenneth here in New York City. We had no idea he was in town until we got a call from some of our guys at Marvel West saying, "Hey, Kenneth is in town, and he just wanted to stop by the office and see what it was like." He came up here and literally charmed the pants off of everyone. The people in the bullpen were literally out of their minds sitting there and talking with him. And then he came into my office, we closed my door and started talking casting.

Jonah Weiland: Do you have a recording of that conversation you’d mind sharing?

Joe Quesada: Well, you know at least one piece of the casting. They announced Loki. But we talked about possible Odins and other characters. What Kenneth has in mind is pretty cool. We'll see. People have to be talked to, and we'll see who we end up with.

Jonah Weiland: We’ve heard about a lot of these early creative presentations, that some directors are very animated – jumping up on chairs while they're talking. What kind of director is Kenneth Branagh? Was he really animated or more reserved?

Joe Quesada: Kenneth sat in his chair. I'll give him that. But of course he's very Shakespearean in his delivery. He'd sit there and give us the emotions between the characters as they are in scenes – what the character's motivation is in that particular moment and how it relates to the overarching story of the movie. He's definitely about character, which is the quintessential trait you have to have to understand the Marvel characters. It's not just big hammers and capes and things like that. It's about what makes the character tick. There's definitely a reason for Thor, a reason for him being and a very deep family relationship and story in the movie that I think is going to be very cool. Oh yeah, and there’s reasons and motivations for him to hit people with his hammer… hard!

Jonah Weiland: Is "Thor" going to be a tougher sell than any other Marvel Studios movie to date?

Joe Quesada: I think it's going to be on the surface. We had the same conversation in internally about "Iron Man." We knew Iron Man wasn't as recognizable to most people not into comics. He's not Spider-Man. He's certainly becoming that, but we worked very hard here at Marvel and started doing things like the Iron Man digital animation shorts, I worked on those with Blur Studios and Craig Kyle over at Marvel West. Those did really, really well for us online. They were basically designed to introduce Iron Man to kids by showing him in the Marvel Universe interacting with our characters, and I think we have the same work ahead of us with Thor. We'll be getting out there. We've got plans already to get Thor's name out within a younger group of kids. I think the upcoming "Super Hero Squad" and "Avengers Animated" shows are going to do wonders to get that across, and then we're working on a couple of ancillary things here and there to boost the desire for kids in particular to know more about Thor and the general public as well. Let me add that the portrayal of Thor in Super Hero Squad is my absolute favorite.

Hmm, being saddened at a comparison to Mark Millar makes me love Kenneth Branagh so much more. :)

Nice that they'll be giving Thor a big push for the movie. I hope he catches on with more people. I mean, he should so long as it's not more of him getting his ass kicked up, down, and sideways like in Hulk vs. Thor.

I'd just like to address a real pet peeve of mine:

"He came up here and literally charmed the pants off of everyone."

Did he, literally? Did he literally get everyone in the Marvel offices to remove their pants for him?

Haha, that bugged me too. Gave me a mental picture of Branagh and a pantsless Quesada standing around at Marvel's offices.

Did he, literally? Did he literally get everyone in the Marvel offices to remove their pants for him?

to be fair 'figuratively' doesn't roll off the tounge as well.

"He came up here and figuratively charmed the pants off of everyone."

hmmm...doesn't have the same kind of punch.

how about 'metaphorically'...

"He came up here and metaphorically charmed the pants off of everyone."

...nope, still lacks that 'zing'

You could just say "He came up here and charmed the pants off everyone." No embellishment required.

I can't believe we're scrutinizing this so much. It literally boggles my mind. :o

Your mind is boggled??? Woah... I am literally blown away by that. :hehe:

Yes, literally. It's playing Boggle with my spleen. My kidneys may show up later, but you know how those guys can be.

Maybe it was casual Friday

In the latest edition of Joe Quesada’s web column Cup ‘O Joe, the Marvel Editor-in-Chief talks about Thor

We had one big creative meeting with the Marvel Creative Committee, which now works on all of our movies and I have the honor to be a part of. We sat with Kenneth and discussed the “Thor” movie and the overarching story of what that’s going to be, just to give our input before anything was put down to paper by screenwriters. And it was one of the highlights of my time here at Marvel because not only did Branagh sit there and give you the story beat for beat, he and [Marvel Studios head] Kevin Feige formed a great team. It was performance art. Kevin would give us the establishment of the shot and the situation: “Here we are. We’re in (take your pick of location). And here’s Odin and he’s coming up to (pick a character).” And then Kenneth would come in and give you the color commentary. “Odin has an air of majesty to him” and he’d act out the Odin part or the Thor part. So we sat there and literally got a three-hour one-man show from Kenneth Branagh. It was fantastic. People pay a lot of money for that kind of performance by one of the world’s greatest living actors.” … “He’s very Shakespearean in his delivery. He’d sit there and give us the emotions between the characters as they are in scenes – what the character’s motivation is in that particular moment and how it relates to the overarching story of the movie. He’s definitely about character, which is the quintessential trait you have to have to understand the Marvel characters. It’s not just big hammers and capes and things like that. It’s about what makes the character tick. There’s definitely a reason for Thor, a reason for him being and a very deep family relationship and story in the movie that I think is going to be very cool. Oh yeah, and there’s reasons and motivations for him to hit people with his hammer… hard!

Alexander Skarsgard Reveals on Playing "Thor"

"True Blood" actor Alexander Skarsgard was previously in-talks for the title role in the upcoming "Thor" film. He seemed like a great fit, being 32-years-old, 6'4 tall, blonde, voted sexiest man in Sweden, and being the son of Stellan Skarsgard. But the role eventually went to Chris Hemsworth (Star Trek).

Now, Skarsgard tells MTV News that he was very close to being cast. So close, that he even filmed an audition in the complete Thor costume, hammer and all. "Yeah," he said. "That was pretty fun."

Skarsgard added that he is still hopeful that one day he might land another comic book-based role. And since Kevin Feige is planning on briging back actors who auditioned for "Thor" for other Marvel role, we might still see Skarsgard as a superhero.

"It depends on the circumstances," Skarsgard said of possible roles in "Captain America" or "The Avengers." "Who the director is, and what the character is. But of course [I'd be interested in looking into it]. I think it's every little boy's dream; it would be a person's dream to play an action hero."
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=7952

I definitly could see skaarsgard as captain america. he is young and build enough. he may not be american, but who cares? michael chiklis wasn´t jewish einther and I had to accept him as ben grimm.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21619

Jonah Weiland: Joe, we’ve spent the last couple of days talking Marvel’s publishing plans, so let's move to the world of Hollywood, an area Marvel has been staking a claim in pretty dramatically over the past few years. Let’s talk about the day you spent with “Thor” director Kenneth Branagh. You went on a a creative retreat with him, did you not?

Joe Quesada: It’s funny that you’re bringing this up as I’m leaving for LA on Monday for the week. I’ll be immersed in Marvel Hollywood business. Someone tell Scarlett I’m on my way! [laughs]

But yes, I sure did. We had one big creative meeting with the Marvel Creative Committee, which now works on all of our movies and I have the honor to be a part of. We sat with Kenneth and discussed the "Thor" movie and the overarching story of what that's going to be, just to give our input before anything was put down to paper by screenwriters.

And it was one of the highlights of my time here at Marvel because not only did Branagh sit there and give you the story beat for beat, he and [Marvel Studios head] Kevin Feige formed a great team. It was performance art. Kevin would give us the establishment of the shot and the situation: "Here we are. We're in (take your pick of location). And here's Odin and he’s coming up to (pick a character)." And then Kenneth would come in and give you the color commentary. "Odin has an air of majesty to him" and he'd act out the Odin part or the Thor part. So we sat there and literally got a three-hour one-man show from Kenneth Branagh. It was fantastic. People pay a lot of money for that kind of performance by one of the world’s greatest living actors.

And of course, he's got that great, charming British accent, so it makes it all go down easy too. [laughs] He could have said anything, and we would have said, "Yeah. Make that." He has such a passion for the material, and he's sitting there describing things from the Kirby run and things from the Simonson run, citing places where the mythology conflicted in Marvel history and how we're going to streamline it. It was just fascinating to watch.

As much as this may sadden Kenneth, he reminded me a lot of Mark Millar. He has a very charming, yet mischievous manner about him that makes him instantly likable.

After that, I was lucky enough about a month ago to see Kenneth here in New York City. We had no idea he was in town until we got a call from some of our guys at Marvel West saying, "Hey, Kenneth is in town, and he just wanted to stop by the office and see what it was like." He came up here and literally charmed the pants off of everyone. The people in the bullpen were literally out of their minds sitting there and talking with him. And then he came into my office, we closed my door and started talking casting.

Jonah Weiland: Do you have a recording of that conversation you’d mind sharing?

Joe Quesada: Well, you know at least one piece of the casting. They announced Loki. But we talked about possible Odins and other characters. What Kenneth has in mind is pretty cool. We'll see. People have to be talked to, and we'll see who we end up with.

Jonah Weiland: We’ve heard about a lot of these early creative presentations, that some directors are very animated – jumping up on chairs while they're talking. What kind of director is Kenneth Branagh? Was he really animated or more reserved?

Joe Quesada: Kenneth sat in his chair. I'll give him that. But of course he's very Shakespearean in his delivery. He'd sit there and give us the emotions between the characters as they are in scenes – what the character's motivation is in that particular moment and how it relates to the overarching story of the movie. He's definitely about character, which is the quintessential trait you have to have to understand the Marvel characters. It's not just big hammers and capes and things like that. It's about what makes the character tick. There's definitely a reason for Thor, a reason for him being and a very deep family relationship and story in the movie that I think is going to be very cool. Oh yeah, and there’s reasons and motivations for him to hit people with his hammer… hard!

Jonah Weiland: Is "Thor" going to be a tougher sell than any other Marvel Studios movie to date?

Joe Quesada: I think it's going to be on the surface. We had the same conversation in internally about "Iron Man." We knew Iron Man wasn't as recognizable to most people not into comics. He's not Spider-Man. He's certainly becoming that, but we worked very hard here at Marvel and started doing things like the Iron Man digital animation shorts, I worked on those with Blur Studios and Craig Kyle over at Marvel West. Those did really, really well for us online. They were basically designed to introduce Iron Man to kids by showing him in the Marvel Universe interacting with our characters, and I think we have the same work ahead of us with Thor. We'll be getting out there. We've got plans already to get Thor's name out within a younger group of kids. I think the upcoming "Super Hero Squad" and "Avengers Animated" shows are going to do wonders to get that across, and then we're working on a couple of ancillary things here and there to boost the desire for kids in particular to know more about Thor and the general public as well. Let me add that the portrayal of Thor in Super Hero Squad is my absolute favorite.
Wow, really cool interview! :up:

Wait for the Sentry (blond - Marvel loves blond so much, long hair, tall) if he does go big on comics.

Actually I suggested him for Cap(see Generation Kill) He is the spitting image of Brubaker's Steve Rogers. The only concern I have is with his height.:word:

Actually I suggested him for Cap(see Generation Kill) He is the spitting image of Brubaker's Steve Rogers. The only concern I have is with his height.:word:

Steve Rogers can't be non-American. Marvel (Kevin Feige) has said that clearly.

So Skarsgard, Worthington for Steve Rogers -> no chance.

Also, his face is too skinny to be Steve. As drawn by Steve Epting, Steve Rogers has a relatively wide chin/jaw.

Cool news about Branagh and how he acted parts out to them as he was explaining scenes.

Hopefully all you hardcore Thor fans get a great movie. I never got around to getting into Thor but am overall a big Marvel fan and have to admit that I'm excited about this movie.

Yeah, way to make yourself sound like an idiot in an interview. :whatever:

He's definitely about character, which is the quintessential trait you have to have to understand the Marvel characters. It's not just big hammers and capes and things like that. It's about what makes the character tick. There's definitely a reason for Thor, a reason for him being and a very deep family relationship and story in the movie that I think is going to be very cool. Oh yeah, and there’s reasons and motivations for him to hit people with his hammer… hard!

This is the part that caught my eye. Branagh always seems to fully devote himself to whatever his working on be it Shakespeare or Wallander and it seems like he has with Thor as well.

I think one of the biggest problems alot of fanboys have had since the whole comic movie boom in the late 90s is that the directors don't get the characters and try and twist them to suit whatever purpose or identity they believe they should have instead of what works for the character. It seems Branagh gets that the characters is what drive the story :up:

Also it seems like Branagh commands quite alot of respect and admiration from the Marvel folks which is always a good sign. Weaker not respected directors usually get bullied into adding stuff to the movie they usually wouldn't.

I think one of the biggest problems alot of fanboys have had since the whole comic movie boom in the late 90s is that the directors don't get the characters and try and twist them to suit whatever purpose or identity they believe they should have instead of what works for the character.

While I certainly see that happening in some parts of the Spider-Man movies, those are the only examples that I can imagine right now. What do you mean? While Daredevil, Fantastic Four or Wolverine were really bad movies, I don´t think that the directors necessarily "didn´t get the characters", It just were bad scripts and/or horrible acting

While I certainly see that happening in some parts of the Spider-Man movies, those are the only examples that I can imagine right now. What do you mean? While Daredevil, Fantastic Four or Wolverine were really bad movies, I don´t think that the directors necessarily "didn´t get the characters", It just were bad scripts and/or horrible acting

Thats not my personal opinion that directors of comic book movies don't get the characters but that seems to be the view of alot of fanboys from what i've seen aound of these boards through the years.

They voice their opinion of directors not unserstanding the chracters as shown by the charcters role in the movies, who they cast in the role, how they act in the role which is overall controlled by the director of the movie.

I'm just saying that from branaghs comments his views is that character drives the story.

Last edited:
No. Wolverine isn't short in the movies & no one complains....anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"