The Official TIH Fan Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw it last night. Marvel does it again! (this year)

I won't go into the story, since you all know what it is about already, but I will discuss what worked with this movie, let me write a quick review:

First, the cast did one bad place of a job. From Norton, Tyler, Hurt, Roth...Everyone is solid here. Norton and Tyler on the run are fun to watch, and do make kind of a sweet couple. Norton plays Banner as more of an everyman, his character desperate for a way out of his life but self-sacrificing enough to keep Betty out of it until he absolutely has no choice in the matter. He hates The Hulk, and is constantly haunted by flashes and memories of Hulk moments he just experienced...There's vulnerability there, an impending danger lurking on the back of his skull, until it posseses him. When he tells Betty what it's like to be The Hulk, he shows a certain disconnection from it, like he's not there. A separate state of mind, something else apart from him. He's not fond of it. He hates having hurt Betty in the past. Still, Banner also has a lot of warmth to him, he's a nice guy, which unfortunately, means he also attracts all the a**holes in the world. Until he turns, of course.

There's Betty. She's adorable. She also sports the craziest Aerosmith lips since Dad Tyler. She's also the only one who gets Banner, and The Hulk. She's like the partly abused girlfriend who sees "the real man" inside and stands up for him, because she does not see a monster, she sees Bruce. When she goes after Banner in the rain, she breaks. We find out she has all but severed ties with her father (or so she thinks) and constantly reminds The General of this, which speaks great lenghts about the scars left after the episode with Banner turning into Hulk and the subsequent chasing of him by Ross.

General Ross is way too much concerned with containing The Hulk, although not so much a prick as one might expect. He's determined to capture Banner, crossing the line of what's even rational to get him. He's trying to best The Hulk because he's incredibly resentful not only of it hurting Betty, but hurting him, which I bet is unusal and very discomforting to a man like him.

And Blonsky. Fascinated with The Hulk, he volunteers not only to lead a military team to capture Banner, but is also willing to experiment and modify his body to achieve physical perfection. He craves power, there's inherent aggresiveness in him; he's a "fighter" as he puts it. There's a great moment after he has been altered where he's asked "how do you feel?" and he says "like a monster", with a vicious grin on his face. I think that moment kind of defines his character, right there.

The plot is fairly simple, but adequate, it doesn't needs to be any more than it is and the movie never suffers from it.

Regarding the action...I felt like there was less action than we were led to believe, but the action itself is...Phenomenal. Abomination tears up Harlem like a live action version of Doomsday would, if I may be allowed one comparison. And when Hulk shows up, it's visceral. These two huge, incredibly powerful monsters pounding at the Earth...Beautiful. One of the best comic book action sequences ever put together. I was impressed with the way Letterrier shoots his action sequences: it is always incredibly clear what is going on in the screen, there are no quick, almost flavor of the month shot jumps or jerky cam shots. He puts these two beasts in front of the camera and lets it roll. Jerky cam can work, but also sometimes masks an inability to create intense action sequences. Letterrier obviously does not suffer from this. The campus sequence is also spectacular, but it pales in comparison to the finale, as there was no Abomination yet.

Overall, I loved the movie, way more than I thought I would. A simple story, likable characters, very effective but NEVER cheesy humor, even better action, although not a particularly resonant score. The cast and execution by Letterrier are what ultimately makes the movie work.

**Priceless Movie Moment** :yay:

Betty's brilliant hulking out at the mad cab driver, using one of my favorite words, followed by Banner's hilarious line about anger management! :hehe:

This is a 9/10.

I REALLY wish they were making a sequel. Ah, no matter, this movie WAS worth all the effort it takes to reboot a franchise.

Last edited:
This movie is amazing...and just makes the Avengers continual efforts that more enjoyable to watch and wait....

but, I do have one question...when Hulk takes Betty up to the mountains, do you possibly think the lightning strike was a nod or reference to Thor? And with Hulk getting angry at the lightning, it could have been a future reference to a possible Thor/Hulk bout in an Avengers movie.

Just a thought. Got done watching the movie once more a couple hours ago with friends.

And I see a sequel coming out, but not very soon...I say 2012-2013.

Hey, we had to wait four years to get TIH since Lee's catastrophe.

This movie is amazing...and just makes the Avengers continual efforts that more enjoyable to watch and wait....

but, I do have one question...when Hulk takes Betty up to the mountains, do you possibly think the lightning strike was a nod or reference to Thor? And with Hulk getting angry at the lightning, it could have been a future reference to a possible Thor/Hulk bout in an Avengers movie.

Just a thought. Got done watching the movie once more a couple hours ago with friends.

And I see a sequel coming out, but not very soon...I say 2012-2013.

Hey, we had to wait four years to get TIH since Lee's catastrophe.

Not really....

Or...it could've just been a lightning strike.

They said a sequel will be held off untill after the Avengers movie.

True... if we get a sequel it would mean having Norton go back to back starting with the Avengers movie... if Avengers gets stalled I doubt they will even bring Norton back for the role... 4-5 year gap is enough time to recast without people *****ing as much as they would for a recast after only 2-3 years.

True... if we get a sequel it would mean having Norton go back to back starting with the Avengers movie... if Avengers gets stalled I doubt they will even bring Norton back for the role... 4-5 year gap is enough time to recast without people *****ing as much as they would for a recast after only 2-3 years.

They said Norton was signed on for a second film. I don't think Marvel would want to change their cast for the third time. The Avengers movie could help the sequel to the Hulk anyway. I think they need to stick with Norton.

Yeah but I am in the camp that says Norton will overprice himself... the contracts are worthless as we saw with TH and IM2.

So...a random lightning strike hit Hulk...yah, that makes sense....

what are the odds of lightning to hit someone? Sure, Hulk is the size of a boulder, but that's just way too much of just a random incident.

Watch it again buddy, the lightning didn't strike the Hulk, he was simply reacting to it.

Yes...a lightning strike in the middle of a thunderstorm, how ironic.

...while we're at it, I swear I saw Venom in Betty's eye.

:whatever:

You DO know I'm not the only one who thinks of the lightning strike not being random, do you?

And you do know you're being a smartass boy.

Stating that there is nothing 'ironic' about having lightning in a thunderstorm makes me a smartass.

Gotcha.

Oh and FYI, calling me KID and BOY probably helps you and your ego but seriously...i'm 23.

So, LightningFlash thinks that lightning during the thunderstorm wasn't normal?

:dry:

He says it was a nod to Thor.

Apparently EVERYTHING in the Marvel films are interconnected.

:dry:

Sounds like some people are reading to much into the "lightning storm". When I first saw the scene, and many times there after, I never thought of Thor. I did think about it in terms of a character development scene for the Hulk. It's simple, Hulk was startled by the storm and he gives a "savage" reaction. After all, he did just come out of fighting the army. I'd be a little jumpy too.

I've actually made it into an inside joke with my friends. Just a "What-if?" scenario where Thor is being a prick and screwing around with the green guy.

Yea, it was Thor and Hulks rock hit and and knock him out... lol :)

The thought of Thor never even crossed my mind. Really just took it that the Hulk was reacting to the storm raging on. I think relating it to Thor is reading a little too much into it.

So...a random lightning strike hit Hulk...yah, that makes sense....

what are the odds of lightning to hit someone? Sure, Hulk is the size of a boulder, but that's just way too much of just a random incident.

The lightning didnt hit the Hulk in that scene. He flipped out because he thought it was an explosion and the military coming after him again.

Well whatever, KID.

It still seems ironic to have a lightning strike in the scene.

How obnoxious of you, to keep bringing this up! Some imagination you have.

And isn't the whole sequence supposed to be a homage to Hulk: Gray? I remember lightning in that one, too :whatever:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"