The Official WONDER WOMAN Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason they gave was budget, but another thing people brought up is it's co-owned by CBS, which has affiliation with Disney.

That's ABC that is owned by Disney. CBS is the only major network that isn't owned by a media conglomerate

Why didn't CW pick it up? It's DCE, the Warner Bros subsidiary to comic book adaptations.

Because the CW really doesn't have any money. That's what happens when your ratings are so low, that you get beat by Univision.

Haha, yeah guess you're right.

Btw, who here thinks that instead of a TV show it would've been better to just give Wonder Woman her own movie? Personally I like TV shows because they allow a lot more space to tell more than one story, but who doesn't like films right? Curious what every one else thinks. I wanted to keep the SHH article about Kelley's promise among the 'Most Active' list but it's just not happening :(.

That's ABC that is owned by Disney. CBS is the only major network that isn't owned by a media conglomerate

Oh, that so? I thought people were mentioning they had affiliation with Disney earlier, my bad then. I guess it was solely a budget issue.

Haha, yeah guess you're right.

Btw, who here thinks that instead of a TV show it would've been better to just give Wonder Woman her own movie? Personally I like TV shows because they allow a lot more space to tell more than one story, but who doesn't like films right? Curious what every one else thinks. I wanted to keep the SHH article about Kelley's promise among the 'Most Active' list but it's just not happening :(.

Oh, leaps and bounds I'd rather see a film and sure it'd be twice as good as any show they'd produced. But, obviously, that's never happening.

I'm not convinced a Wonder Woman movie would be all that good if it's pushed through with so little non-hardcore-fan knowledge/understanding of the character. I believe, at this point, it would end up being a kind of one-off decent film with non-blockbuster commercial success, kinda like the DTV.

I'm not convinced a Wonder Woman movie would be all that good if it's pushed through with so little non-hardcore-fan knowledge/understanding of the character. I believe, at this point, it would end up being a kind of one-off decent film with non-blockbuster commercial success, kinda like the DTV.

Well, yeah, of course, but that goes for any character, and applies to a TV series, for that matter.

Well, yeah, of course, but that goes for any character, and applies to a TV series, for that matter.

No, it doesn't go for any character. Comics fans typically have a mild appreciation and basic understanding of and respect for most A-list comics characters, like Iron Man and Green Lantern. This is not always true with Wonder Woman, even creators and writers don't "get" her.

The only A-lister who has it worse than Wonder Woman is Aquaman. I swear, if Arthur didn't already have a hot piece of tail-fin waiting for him at home, he and Diana would be made for each other.

No, it doesn't go for any character. Comics fans typically have a mild appreciation and basic understanding of and respect for most A-list comics characters, like Iron Man and Green Lantern. This is not always true with Wonder Woman, even creators and writers don't "get" her.

That's because there's a misconception about the character that leads to each creator coming in with the idea of putting their own spin on her, when her core character is already excellent.

If you had people making a film that have little to no knowledge or understanding of a character, you probably won't get a good film of said. How does that not apply to any other character? You can argue that there's less people out there who have these things in talking about WW (which is probably true), but it's pretty far to say that's some kind of exclusive problem for just certain characters.

Last edited:
I too am disappointed about David E. Kelley failing to sell his series about Wonder Woman coming from Themyscira to Man's World in order to become a sassy big-city attorney, representing clients whose cases give her the opportunity to expand at length upon the opinions of David E. Kelley.

Super Female Lawyer
Fighting for her client
Wearing star-spangled shorts
And being self-reliant

Cant wait for this to happen and this needs to be a cover
Wonder_Woman_Back_to_the_Old.jpg
I found the High-res version
wonderwomanreturnbystan.jpg

Thanks Kal-El. That artist really knows how to draw hot women. If i'm not mistaken he's been drawing lots of covers for DC lately and they ve all been really good.

I think that's solely the creator's ordeal, not the fans'. After JLU, Wonder Woman's story has been dispersed quite well for most superhero fans, even those who don't read the comics. The TV series grounded the essential story of an Amazonian Princess coming to Man's World to stop evil into even the general audience's consciousness. In fact, she's probably more well known than the two you mention. There are more people who don't know Hal Jordan as Green Lantern than there are who don't get Wonder Woman as an Amazon Princess.

That's because there's a misconception about the character that leads to each creator coming in with the idea of putting their own spin on her, when her core character is already excellent.

Very true - but on the whole, I think writers trying to give their own spin is a good way to approach any given story. The problem seems to be when they want to overhaul existing continuity. But continuity's been a problem in comics since before my time :p

If you had people making a film that have little to no knowledge or understanding of a character, you probably won't get a good film of said. How does that not apply to any other character? You can argue that there's less people out there who have these things in talking about WW (which is probably true), but it's pretty far to say that's some kind of exclusive problem for just certain characters.

Agreed.

And besides, isn't the whole point of making a new show to INTRODUCE the audience to the character? Not all stories are adaptations. At least, that's what I believe today.

2znweme.jpg

WONDER WOMAN #610
Written by J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI and PHIL HESTER
Art and cover by DON KRAMER and JAY LEISTEN
1:10 Variant cover by ALEX GARNER
Diana’s conflict with The Morrigan takes an unexpected turn when unlikely allies help her discover her true role as Wonder Woman – but Cheetah and company stand between Diana and her final test. As the old gods die away, only Diana’s inner strength can see her through the battle to come. But will it be enough?
On sale APRIL 27 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US, RATED T
2qlwju1.jpg

WONDER WOMAN: ODYSSEY VOL. 1 HC
Written by J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI and PHIL HESTER
Art by DON KRAMER, MICHAEL BABINSKI, EDUARDO PANSICA, ALLAN GOLDMAN and JAY LEISTEN
Cover by ALEX GARNER
Wonder Woman gets a new costume in this start to bestselling writer J. Michael Straczynski’s run on the iconic character’s series, collected from issues #600-606.
Diana must track down the truth behind what’s happened to her timeline and face the biggest stunner of all: Who destroyed Paradise Island? All bets are off as Wonder Woman embarks on an odyssey to find her past, getting a new costume, a new set of foes, and a new tone from the ground up!
On sale JUNE 1 • 168 pg, FC, $22.99 US

Last edited:
I haven't been reading this, but how has Don Kramer's art been? I liked him when he drew Face the Face, but I haven't been too impressed by other stuff of his I've seen.

There has been a few fill-ins that's mixed in issues, so it's been a little difficult to evaluate that well, but I've enjoyed it enough. His art seems to fit the story that's being told and all pretty well.

Yay Cheetah is going to be in more than one issue. I loves Cheetah she is my favourite Wonder Woman villain

The unlikely ally is probably Dr Psycho as the solucit for the issue where he turns up said he might be an enemy or a friend

That issue looks really fab Tron Bonne :up:

Yay Cheetah is going to be in more than one issue. I loves Cheetah she is my favourite Wonder Woman villain

The unlikely ally is probably Dr Psycho as the solucit for the issue where he turns up said he might be an enemy or a friend

That issue looks really fab Tron Bonne :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"