The Official WONDER WOMAN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by phoenixflight, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nave 'Torment' Vigilante Detective

Cheetah... if they really want to be bold, would be great with Barbara Minerva, and something akin to what we've seen in Avatar. Yeah I know, NEVER HAPPENING on NBC's budget! :p

Maybe they can still go with the character with good prosthetic or something, that could actually serve well. Something like Mystique or the vampires that appear everywhere. She isn't always Cheetah anyway so yeah, I could see that.

I expect Circe and Mars/Ares to play big roles too, with maybe the latter working through a cult and being an unseen force throughout the season - working with his minions like Eris, Duke of Deception, Deimos etc. That would be damn good television :D

2. Nave 'Torment' Vigilante Detective

:dry::wow::doh::wall:

I didn't know that...but...good Gaea...why? Why?!

3. Mystirious Registered

:csad:

4. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

No clue. You could say they mean vigilante in the sense of just someone who isn't with the law (though, seriously, I doubt that), but this whole modern CEO stuff doesn't sound good at all.

5. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

Like I've said elsewhere, it's like Kelley got Wonder Woman mixed up with Power Girl.

6. Nave 'Torment' Vigilante Detective

The damn CEO thing kills the premise... why not just stick to her being an ambassador? If they are going for the vigilante take, I'm assuming we're getting her identity as Diana Prince back (in which case, they could've just given her the old job at the Army or something).

The whole "I've been labeled a vigilante, get me outta here!" is really prominent in most of DC's cinematic adaptations ain't it? :| The Dark Knight, Smallville, now this. OH yeah and Watchmen too. Hrrm.

7. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I'm just wondering where in that premise he'll manage to squeeze in his signature lefty tirades. It's not a David E. Kelley show if someone isn't waxing liberal for at least 5 minutes in every episode.

8. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

I guess we should wait for some more synopsis, but it makes me think they're going to use the whole CEO thing as a secret identity type of deal, yeah, like Diana Prince. My main fear is that they're using that as a way to distance and dumb down the character from her Amazon roots

If they cast someone with a D+ cup, we'll know for sure.

9. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

You know, the more I think about it, the less I hate the idea of Diana Prince being a corporate executive. I mean, I was 80% sure they were going to go with the Diana Prince secret identity thing anyway, and this is just another in a long line of jobs for the character. Diana Prince has been everything from a yeoman to a spy to an investigator to the owner of a boutique. A corporate executive? Fine. At least that's in Kelley's wheelhouse.

I'm reserving judgement for the vigilante thing. When it comes to superheroes, that's a very broad term.

For now, I'm going to remove my face from my palm and wait for more news about this show to come in.

10. Mystirious Registered

Hahaha oh Tron Bonne

That would not really bother me

Wonder Woman being a ceo and a vigilante makes me :csad: and :cmad: though

11. Drz Real Hero

Why not? Taking a CEO position in a big corporation allows her to:
    - Get better products out there
    - Fund things that are actually useful, like how about some R&D on better medicines and whatnot.
    - Funding charities and whatnot.

Isn't this what shes here to? To help the world of man.

12. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

I personally never cared much for the Diana Prince stuff, anyway. I kind of see the reasoning for being a spy, but I've never felt she really needed a secret ID. I just don't see how the CEO stuff is going to work outside the way it usually does, and I don't know, just doesn't sound like a good direction to go to me.

13. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

But when has WW really done those specific things? She's always been more proactive in that aspect. What you described is the new PG series, literally to a T

14. Drz Real Hero

Power Girl lacks the power of iconism that Kelley can use thru Diana tho. I don't know how much they can roll with the embassy thing and what areas, you wouldn't want this to turn into some "lets talk about afghanistan and how cruel things are there" and have the fans talk how Diana should just get there and find the terrorists thru her lasso. :p

15. Nave 'Torment' Vigilante Detective

Here's me still hoping that maybe things will work out better by the time this comes out.

16. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

The thing is, from what little we know, we have little or no clue how faithful to the comics this show will be. It might be a little more pre-Crisis, where Diana is both a representative for Themyscira and balancing a secret identity.

17. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

So, you're okay with them making a Power Girl series and just putting a Wonder Woman skin on it. :/

And read Rucka. He handled how to do that whole embassy thing and still have plenty of action.

Yeah, it's too early to condemn anything, but oh Lord, if this turns into a 'CEO by day, mysterious star-spangled underwear wearing vigilante at night' thing, I'll be pretty sad :csad:

18. Nave 'Torment' Vigilante Detective

The more I think of it, I think Kelley's ideal superhero show would've been a GREEN ARROW and BLACK CANARY double-team. Anyway.

You can also argue that it allows her to deliver that feminist message in a capitalist society dominated by men, but...honestly, her role as an ambassador is much, MUCH better and more meaningful.

Exactly. Brian Willy's entire post a few pages back was a great look into how this makes Diana unique among superheroes. We shouldn't be too judgmental yet, lets see how the show comes out. It'll probably make a lot more sense when the details are filled in. Probably.

19. Anubis Sup?

I don't know, as I mull over the whole CEO thing, it actually could work. I mean, think about it. Who is more likely to influence the world, an ambassador from some island or a company putting out life changing products, charities that do more than feed starving kids with 50 cents, and going toe to toe with the corrupt fat cats that secretly run the world? I'm surprised nobody thought about doing it in the comics.

Now, granted, technically Wonder Woman and pretty much every other super hero has always been a vigilante....but the words usually lend themselves to powerless loons in black who run around beating up muggers. She's better than that. As is others of her caliber. I just hope they remember that she's a super hero. Emphasis on the SUPER.

Also, I always hated the secret ID, but with the CEO angle, I could go either way. I could see how the CEO being a Super hero could be damaging to business, so a certain degree of discretion is good. And I'd rather she was infiltrating man's world in a covert way. Slowly setting about change the status quo from behind the scenes. Just as long as we get a strong, capable, wonder woman in underpants, picking up tanks and plenty of ass shots.

20. Drz Real Hero

Tron you almost sound like a irrational whiner, now! :( Let's recap abit: We already know we're getting the plane, bracers and lasso, what more do you think we'll get? GODS and Mythology for sure. We can easily suspect we'll see Ares as an arms dealer wanting to fund wars and getting countries weapons and whatnot, we'll surely see mythological monsters getting a taste of some hammers of justice, along with the lasso of truth getting onto play.
    Most of the embassy thing was regarding Themiscera itself and later how the Omac project was going after them. I don't know should we really see a tv show where the Americans are distrustful towards an island full of women, it would seem like Americans see them as cubans or something. :p

Oh i'd be too, but use your inner optism, mate! :fhm::hrt:

21. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

Good points on the CEO, but I guess it's because I, like BW (not that he agrees with my POW, I just know he's talked about it a lot), tend to lean a lot with the activist point of the character. Her being out there, as herself, saying what needs to be said, doing what needs to be done, etc. Of course, you can do both, but I guess that just feels somewhat bland to me since that's essentially how the majority of heroes are.

22. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

An irrational whiner? If so, you sound like a naive poster boy for the network :p

I was just stating what you said. Using the iconoclast of Wonder Woman to do a PG show, since that's what you advocated (I mean, have you been reading PG? Literally everything you said they did in the first few issues of that series). I mean, why are you so sure we'll get all this anyway? There's nothing in the description that mentions connections to mythology. Really, the CEO part seems to strike me as distancing itself from it.

Not that I'm saying there will or won't be myself.

Well, yeah of course, if you went that why you'd have to deal with Themiscyra, unless you made WW come from somewhere else. I wasn't saying to do a direct adaptation of Rucka's stuff, just a good example of how to do this type of thing without it becoming solely talk and politics.

I am optimistic, but cautiously so. I'm waiting before condemning anything, but the CEO thing is quite striking, at least to me. I was always pretty cautious of a TV adaptation anyway, since I don't think network TV budgets can do many superheroes with proper justice without top grade talent and creativity to manage so.

23. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I guess I could see them transferring a lot of what Diana did as an ambassador over to her as the CEO of some kind of nonprofit organization.

24. Drz Real Hero

Well you sounded like you almost lost all faith, so i was like "god my oh! Not Tron!"
    I don't know really, all i can think about is the Afghanistan war and North Korea's recent things. And yeah i actually don't have anything to backup the mythological stuff since thats just me being "well it's so obvious, so that assumption of obviousness must be true" but yeah you can imagen some hardcore nerd raging if we aint getting Gods and other characters, after all characters like Ares and Athena are very important. Heck, that reminds me of how Rucka had Athena and others looking all modern up, using laptops and other stuff. I wanna see that! I also liked Ares in JL/JLU show.

25. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

There's gonna be a Diana Prince in every single incarnation of the character ever, and especially for a TV series. I don't really care about that. I care that literally no part of the show sounds like Wonder Woman!

Vigilante crime-fighter? She ain't a vigilante. Never has been. She's always worked closely with the law.

LA? She's never been based in LA. Where the hell did LA come from? Why LA?

Successful corporate executive. Who the **** is this person? Batman? Iron Man? Power Girl? Green Arrow? Where is Wonder Woman in this? Beyond the fact that it doesn't resemble the character in any way -- although some people are apparently fine with that -- it's JMS's continuity twister all over again. People whine and whine and whine about Wonder Woman's history being too convoluted to remember and adapt, and the solution is to make it even more convoluted and non-iconic? How is this possibly a good idea?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.