The Official X-Men 2 (2003) Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'X-Men 1, 2 & 3' started by Avenging Angel, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Avenging Angel

Avenging Angel This is gonna work, Steve.

I recently saw it again and I found a new love for the film. So I thought I’d make another appreciation thread for the second movie to the X franchise.

What I loved and remembered from X2:

Nightcrawler’s opening scene. It still gets to me how awesome it was shot. Bryan brought his A-game as far as the action goes.

The teen mutants: Rogue, Iceman, Pyro. I thought it was cool how well they bonded together. Going to Bobby’s house in Boston had some of the best dialogue next to DOFP. I loved the scene where Bobby “comes out” as a mutant was fantastically done. Pyro was a great outsider. I knew he would break away and join the brotherhood. Aaron is a mature actor for his age. I thought it was nice getting to know the younger mutants.

Stryker’s story line. I thought it was well-executed and Brian Cox is one of my favorite actors from the Bourne Identity series. He played an outstanding villain. Hugh battled with him nicely. He could have offed him easily but he let the dam do it for him.

Jean’s pre-Phoenix scenes. I still loved the destruction of the missiles, how just for dramatics and insecurity she could only destroy one with her mind. Jean’s end was tragic but I loved the foreshadowing scene in the water.

Scott and Logan sharing an emotional moment together was touching. Powerful acting from both James and Hugh in the climax of the movie.

Seeing it again and again makes me grow with it. I didn’t realize how well made it was when I initially saw it. The acting and script made the movie work. Seeing the mutants unite was almost poetic. The finale scene with the president and the team still gives me shivers.

2. Kermit_The_Frog

Kermit_The_Frog Whip-laaaashh

X2 was freaking awesome. Nuff said. :woot:

3. Avenging Angel

I thought everyone was in their element with their characters and the story flowed naturally.

4. Kermit_The_Frog

Same here. I don't get the whole, "It was Wolverine and Friends" complaint. I mean, yeah it was Wolverine's arc wrapping up, but Iceman, Rogue, Pyro, Nightcrawler, Stryker, Jean, and even Storm were all fleshed out. People act like Wolverine was the MAIN guy and everybody else were Mutes.

The only character that really got robbed of some screentime was Cyclops, but I liked when he broke down when Jean died.

I even liked Lady Deathstrike. I didn't care that she didn't talk. She was she was supposed to be. Silent. Deadly. Beautiful. Sucks that we didn't get a Mystique/Lady Deathstrike fight though.

Also, I LOVE that shot of the X-Men in the White House towards the end. That's probably the best, maybe even the only, team shot throughout the movies. If someone get screencap that for me, that'd be great.

X2 is one the best Superhero movies of all time. That movie hits every beat hard. It's got action, drama, emotion, good storytelling, strong character moments, a good villain, high stakes, etc.

Favorite Scenes:

Nightcrawler opening
    School Invasion + Wolverine Berserker Rage
    Magneto's Escape
    Pyro's power display
    Storm & Nightcrawler on the X-Jet
    Mystique pwning Stryker's soldiers in the Dam.
    Wolverine vs Lady Deathstrike
    Jean's sacrifice

One of my favorite lines is after Pyro tells Magneto, "So, they say you're the bad guy" and Magneto responds, "Is that what they say?" Love it.

#4 Kermit_The_Frog, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  5. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

My love for X2 is already well-documented. I don't need to gush over it no longer. :oldrazz:

6. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Registered

X2 is one of my 3 favorate comic book films.The other 2 being superman and the Dark Knight.

So yes X2 is not only favorate X-Men film but favorate marvel film.

7. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Registered

your speaking my song i have argured for years X2 wasn't just wolverine with everyone else in background.That critism works for Last stand not for X2.During climax of film wolverine was busy with his search while others stopped stryker and later magneto's plan and freed the prisoners.

Even in first X-Men wolverine didn't do everything while rest just stood around.

Yes Cyclops got short end of stick but someone had to.But,what he had to do
    when on screen was effective.him and jean at museum,mind controlled ofrced to fight jean,and his emontional breakdown all good.

Deathstrike being mostly silent worked in film's favor

8. Avenging Angel

There's no limit to the gushing. :D

9. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

10. Kermit_The_Frog

^ Epic Fight. I personally thought Lady Deathstryke was great in X2.

11. jaymes_e06

jaymes_e06 Registered

12. Avenging Angel

13. OopsWhat89

OopsWhat89 Registered

Why isn't this thread longer!?

I forgot just how good X2 really is.

I hadn't watched in years and in my anticipation for Apocalypse I popped it in and was blown away all over again. The plot just moves along at an amazing pace. The action is spectacular, the characters are well rounded and the stakes are genuine. The film builds and builds to a great emotional pay-off. The entire last act at Alkali Lake is sheer brilliance. Not many comic book films or hell, recent action films in general have been this well crafted. A finely honed action adventure, X2 is.
    It's also not as Wolverine centric as the criticisms make it out to be. Storm feels more present than I remember her being and the only character that gets the shaft is, as we all know, Cyclops.

After all these years, this is still right up their with the best of them.

14. marieylee

marieylee Registered

Just rewatched it this weekend and absolutely love it. Right now, I'll rank it in my Top 3 all time best CBM at #3. I'll put it above DOFP now (which actually went down on my list, but still in my Top 10).

Everything was so well done, and outside of Cyclops, everyone had their little moments to shine.

15. ApophènX

ApophènX Registered

He serve an important purpose as he have lost memories. I love how the movie build up in parallels, Stryker will put his son in the head (and therefore memories) of Professor Xavier and it ends by awakening the Phoenix. And this dirty feelings all over the underground base, makes thrills.

16. Starcat

Starcat Registered

This is still my favorite of the X-Men films. It improved on the already good first film in all the right ways.

17. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Registered

agree with all of this.

18. GREEN =w= DAY

GREEN =w= DAY Registered

X2 was excellent

Definitely one of the top 5 comic book films for me

19. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Registered

it is with richard donner's superman and the dark knight as my favorate comic book films.

20. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Just rewatched X-Men 2. As with others, I'd forgotten just how good it was. White House attack, Wolverine killing left right and centre in the school, in fact every action sequence was fantastic. And Kelly Hu as Lady Deathstrike? Simply perfect. Hardly said a word but created a real air of menace (it's a crying shame we never got to see her in the role again). Great film.

21. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Death strike was fierce!

22. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Perfect combination of insanely hot and terrifying!

23. eledoremassis02

eledoremassis02 Registered

Bryan singer shared this which looks interesting
    [​IMG]

24. Erik Lensherr

Erik Lensherr Registered

25. 2kt09

2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Like a droideka. Pretty neat.