Days of Future Past The Official X-Men: First Class Rate and Review Thread: Third Edition

After my SIXTH time today, I am even more in love with this film. It's getting closer and closer to X2...

saw it today and they were some great scenes

The Argentina Bar Scene - was just epic i loved it so much it is up their with my favorite scene from a comic book film

i really loved the Beast/Mystique scene where he brings the syringes a very emotional character driven scene it was done very well that you saw where both characters are coming from.

pretty much all of the eric/charles scenes especially the rage/serenity scene outside

mystique/eric bedroom scene another very emotional scene done quite well

Ok, it's late but Widget Walls finally weighs in with a positive review:

Saw it for the fourth time today. It still works. It's still emotionally gripping where it should be. I love this damn film. It's fantastic

I finally watched the movie.

Well I can say, it's amazing. Not better than X2, but that's because I'm biased since I love most of the characters in X2 and I don't much care about mostly anyone in First Class. But the film is definitely better than all the other X-Men movies bar X2.

Let me start by saying having Shaw was such an amazing idea. I simply had not seen a mutant with so much threatening power in any of the other movies. Nope, not even Phoenix. Somehow I knew she would be killed by Logan anyway, so it diminished her power to me. But Sebastian is a true threat. I caught myself wondering throughout the whole movie "damn how are they going to tackle this guy?".

The death of Darwin was truly amazing, in a "great movie moment" way. I was shocked to see him gone so soon, but it worked very well.

Emma Frost wasn't the Emma I expected, but as soon as I saw the actress in the trailers, I knew she would be way too soft. The script Emma is marvelous, but she was very poorly translated by the actress. But I have to say, it's nice to finally have someone confront Xavier in the mind department (Jean never did until she became that atrocity). I can't wait for more battles and her abilities being used to help villiains. Telepath villains are so much cooler than hero telepaths. I also thought they did a great job using this power in the movie.

Another thing that impressed me was the scope of the action. Somehow, in the first trilogy, the X-Men seemed a bit...weak. The power displays, even the marvelous ones (like Storm's) felt very contrived in a sense. I felt like everyone went all out this time, maybe except for Mystique but i'm waiting for the sequels.

Magneto was a show all by himself. The submarine scene in the beginning gave me goosebumps, and any time he was on screen, he shone. His friendship with Xavier was flawlessly portrayed, as was hi soverall personality. Let me dare say he was a much more sorted Magneto, maybe because it focused on him this time.

Mystique was amazing. Hopefully we'll get to see the transition into a merciless assassin throughout the new trilogy. I hoped for more action (she got none?), but that's okay.

OH and Wolverine's absence is so so so welcome. For all I care, he can continue doing those 3 seconds cameo, but the lack of focus on him truly made the movie an X-Men movie, maybe for the first time ever.

So yeah, here are my highlights: Sebastian Shaw (perfect), Emma in action, Magneto, Mystique.

BUT I'm really intrigued in the whole "just one more character" thing? how is that possible? The Brotherhood has 6 members, the X-Men has 4 coutning Charles. Please add Storm, Jean and Cyclops. And maybe get rid of Beast, he was cool, but I wasn't too impressed.

Just watched it. It's one of those films where I'd say the many good moments (and two good lead performances) are greater than the sum of their parts. The film felt like what it was: the best outcome of a very rushed production. I do wish there had been more time focused on the relationship between Charles and Eric, which was more superficial than it had to be. A few of the peripheral mutants were also completely unnecessary - did the nonentity that is Havoc really need to be around?

But I hope a sequel is announced, I want to see this world explored more with these actors.

7.5/10

Last edited:
One of my few nitpicks is the relationship between Erik and Charles as well. It was just so short. I wish they would have been friends for years before their fallout.

I didn't really think about the time aspect a lot. In fact I hadn't even noticed that it is indeed a short friendship unitl now. The relationship is, albeit short, intense, and still able to change their lives and who they are forever. And as we can see in the trilogy, they don't stop being friends once they choose different paths ("old friend"). I'm sure they reunite monthly for a chess match.

I think it was done incredibly well.

I didn't really think about the time aspect a lot. In fact I hadn't even noticed that it is indeed a short friendship unitl now. The relationship is, albeit short, intense, and still able to change their lives and who they are forever. And as we can see in the trilogy, they don't stop being friends once they choose different paths ("old friend"). I'm sure they reunite monthly for a chess match.

I think it was done incredibly well.

The timeline of the friendship doesn't bother me (in fact it didn't occur to me), but I'd have preferred more scenes of them actually discussing their varying philosophies on thier nature. When I saw promo shots of them having the chess match in the study I was excited, but that scene was over almost instantly - in fact all the scenes in the film felt fairly abrupt.

I'm not unrealistic about what to expect from a popcorn blockbuster, but if we don't get a sequel I'll always wish some of the fat was trimmed from this film so we could have seen more of the two leads simply interacting. A well-played, well-shot conversation can be the highlight of any movie, even if it's of the action genre.

The timeline of the friendship doesn't bother me (in fact it didn't occur to me), but I'd have preferred more scenes of them actually discussing their varying philosophies on thier nature. When I saw promo shots of them having the chess match in the study I was excited, but that scene was over almost instantly - in fact all the scenes in the film felt fairly abrupt.

I'm not unrealistic about what to expect from a popcorn blockbuster, but if we don't get a sequel I'll always wish some of the fat was trimmed from this film so we could have seen more of the two leads simply interacting. A well-played, well-shot conversation can be the highlight of any movie, even if it's of the action genre.

That scene really did feel abrupt. I'm wondering if there wasn't more to that scene left on the cutting room floor.

That scene really did feel abrupt. I'm wondering if there wasn't more to that scene left on the cutting room floor.

I remember a scene where Magneto says "cheers" from the trailers. Magneto had the same outfit of the chess scene.

I am really hoping that we will have an extended version of these scenes. I wanted more of Moira and Xavier because they had a great chemistry.

Finnally saw this film yesterday. I loved it, but some scenes didn't quite work for me.

The good: Charles and Erik. Both are wonderful. Fassbender owns the screen. Bacon is a son of a b****. Heck the whole cast's great. I enjoyed the Cuban Missile Crisis plot. The kids are great, too, and I very much enjoyed their scene showing off their powers and them just being "kids".

Now on to the complaints. The reveal of Lil' Mystique came off as rather comical, and the effects for her transformation were kinda cheap. The Mystique FX seemd lousy overall. Especially in the scene in Erik's bedroom. In the first X-Men from like 11 years ago her effects looked stunning. In this movie, not so much.

Another thing...That mosquito girl, um Angel I think she called herself...Well, she also came off as rather silly. I couldn't believe she could lift her stripper body with those plastic wings. Seeing these C-List mutants being used for the climax of an X-Men film was a little dissappointing, and I couldn't take that Banshee Vs. Angel girl fight very seriously. Beast also looked kinda silly, like an angry teddy bear.

But I was tremendously involved with the Charles/Erik/Shaw/Frost interactions. So the silly stuff didn't matter that much. The score was very cool too.

It's the best X film since X2. I definitely want to watch it again, as I have a feeling I will love it even more and I will get past some of my complaints. As of now, I'm giving it an 8.5-9. Proabably 9. It's that good.

Easily the best movie of the summer. Thor had a forced and downright awful "love" story. Lantern had cheesey lines and bad acting.

X-Men had great performances, badass moments (Magneto pulling the fillings out), a fun cameo, a great story, all layered very well. Plus it touched on social issues.

the only people who don't think this movie is the best of the summer are thor fanboys who will never admit it, or people too dumb to get this movie, or people who nitpick the wrong things about movies. Really really well done awesome movie. I took my girlfriend, she wants to buy it on DVD now.

O yea, and the climax to First Class actually felt like, you know, a climax, like they could lose. Unlike Thor.

Super 8 was the best movie all summer. And Thor was ****ing amazing.

And so was this.

Easily the best movie of the summer. Thor had a forced and downright awful "love" story. Lantern had cheesey lines and bad acting.

X-Men had great performances, badass moments (Magneto pulling the fillings out), a fun cameo, a great story, all layered very well. Plus it touched on social issues.

the only people who don't think this movie is the best of the summer are thor fanboys who will never admit it, or people too dumb to get this movie, or people who nitpick the wrong things about movies. Really really well done awesome movie. I took my girlfriend, she wants to buy it on DVD now.

O yea, and the climax to First Class actually felt like, you know, a climax, like they could lose. Unlike Thor.

Wow, that's a little bit harsh. :dry:

I think the movie does justice to Magneto and Xavier who were more than an old guy with a silly helmet and another old guy in a wheel chair.
More importantly, they were young as well :awesome:. The Yaoi fanarts are already popping out.

I personally consider their conflict in ideologies as the true core of the franchise.

I've just seen it for the 2nd time its at the end of its run here so tomorrow is the last showing of it but I have to say upon a secon viewing I want to change my rating from a 9 out of 10 to a 10 out of 10. This film is so good, its weird it was the least of all the comic book films coming out this summer that I was interested in and I've enjoyed it the most. I'd put it in my top 5 superhero/comic book films for sure. Please give us a sequel.

Worst part of the movie: When it was over
Best Part: the whole movie.

I think the movie has a lot of symbolism and depth than we think.

Example: The coin revealing the title of the movie. The coin title itself reveals that Magneto will face his choice of becoming as bad as a Nazi or becoming an X men.

The "blood and honor" knife contradicts what the ex nazi satement that they were just following orders.:awesome:

I thought it was way better than TDK, more genuine, more human, deep without being too serious, a lot more fun, better acting (I am looking at you Bale with your Vader voice). TDK is symbolism for dummies because the writers tell you what they are, FC does it without words and it feels a lot more memorable.

Its awesome but I don't agree on TDK thing but each to their own

I guess so.

Maybe, I prefer when a movie leaves certain things to our interpretation.

Am I the only getting the impression that this is how the Star Wars prequels should have been ? God, I was glad when Anakin burned like a crisp. In FC, there are times when I found myself agreeing with Magneto. Who would not ?

I found an interesting analysis of the movie.
http://andmysidearm.wordpress.com/2...tragedy-of-charles-xavier-and-erik-lehnsherr/

I wouldn't say its better than TDK....but I wouldn't say it's not as good either....I enjoy them both equally. Just like Kick-ash.

Vaughn keeps getting higher on the list.

This movie deserves a nomination in....SOMETHING. It can't go by being praised by so many people and not get anything to show for it.

We'll see when award season comes rolling around..

I finally got to watch it, and i must say i enjoyed the heck out of it. Loved the Erik/Charles dynamic, although at times i wish we would have had more time to see them be on the same side but bicker more, showing their different views.

The whole cast was perfect for their roles in my book, although i gotta say the butterfly girl kinda bugged me. Kevin Bacon was bad@ss :woot:. My rating as of now is 9/10. This one i'm definitely watching again :awesome:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"