The Official Yakuza Thread

it wasnt directed towards you for obvious reasons

How are the Yakuza games? Are they similar open world styled games like GTA and Sleeping Dogs?

Not even. This isnt a game based around vehicles for one. Its a brawler with RPG elements. Id liken it more to a Streets of Rage with deeper story in an open city. If you've played Shenmue, it feels like it could be a spiritual successor in many ways, but focused more on action

Not even. This isnt a game based around vehicles for one. Its a brawler with RPG elements. Id liken it more to a Streets of Rage with deeper story in an open city. If you've played Shenmue, it feels like it could be a spiritual successor in many ways, but focused more on action
To be honest, my least favorite part about open world Sandbox games like GTA are the vehicles, so I don't mind less of that. But it sounds good so far. I like RPG elements and fighting.

The only thing that turns me off is, you mention Shenmue, and I've never played it but I have seen videos of it, and both games seem to been set in Japan and have a lot of their culture as the driving force in the background. But personally, that turns me off with how "out there" they seem to be. That's not to say I'm not interested or intrigued by the culture, it's just from what I've seen in Yakuza videos, there's a lot of those loud and colorful anime type stuff that turns me off. Maybe I'm just watching all the wrong videos, but everytime I think of what I've seen from past Yakuza games (because it's been on my radar for a long time to check one out) that's all I seem to remember.

I mean, Yakuza is just the Japanese word for mafia. It's very deeply rooted in Japanese culture, it's one of the reasons that it's had a hard time finding a strong audience elsewhere and getting localized.

Well that part I like. I completely don't mind the dark and gritty sides of the mafia, and that's regardless of any culture.

What I'm talking about is the more stereotypical "Japanese game show" elements that I've seen in a few videos. Again, maybe I just saw one or two bad videos, but those elements turn me off. But I could've swore I saw a long video that involved a high pitched Japanese school girl with loud colors and was wondering just how serious is the game.

Um, well, I don't know then. I know you can do stuff like Karaoke and go to clubs/bars where you have women swoon over you (not like prostitutes, I forget the name, there are just bars like that in Japan where you go in and talk to women or men). It's been a long time since I've played one, though.

Come to think of it, I don't really play many Japanese-heavy games. And by that I mean games created in Japan, regardless of the audience, like Street Fighter and Metal Gear Solid. I'm certainly looking to change that, but i don't know, I just thought about it and realized that there must be something to that.

But I guess I'll look at some more videos and look to see if the gameplay is something I like. I mean, as long as I feel comfortable with the controls, and the world seems to help add to the game, I wouldn't mind. I just don't want to go into a game like this thinking it's one thing, only to see it's something completely different.

Ive tried Yakuza in the past and the gameplay is solid but it is a bit too Japanese for me. The major barrier has always been the language. I hate that it never gets an English dub. I get that its not profitable enough to warrant one but I dont like reading books of texts in my games and this is heavy on that bc there is so much dialogue

btw, thanks Tron (Im assuming it was you) for changing the title of the thread

g74fQtX.gif

Remake of the original was announced and comes with a demo for 6. Cool as I never beat it

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/09/15/tgs-2015-yakuza-remake-announced
oh my god...aside from the fact that it's cross gen, this is amazing news.

i've played only one yakuza game, so I really don't know how different each game is from one another.
How are the Yakuza games? Are they similar open world styled games like GTA and Sleeping Dogs?
aside from the fact that they are open world, no.

That gif reminded me that Sega's behind this IP. I don't know why, but I always think it's a Sony property. I guess because it's never left PlayStation as far as I'm aware.

btw, thanks Tron (Im assuming it was you) for changing the title of the thread

No prob

That gif reminded me that Sega's behind this IP. I don't know why, but I always think it's a Sony property. I guess because it's never left PlayStation as far as I'm aware.
the first two games got remastered for the wii u and the protagonist and deuteragonist are gonna be in project x zone 2

other than that though it pretty much is a playstation franchise

I don't get why anyone would even want to play Yakuza in English. It's so much better in Japanese. I'm not even a hardcore anti-dub guy either.

I don't get why anyone would even want to play Yakuza in English. It's so much better in Japanese. I'm not even a hardcore anti-dub guy either.

Why not? I speak and understand English so Id prefer that. I hate to read in games and this series literally has books of dialogue to get through. Too much work and takes me out of the experience. I often find myself unintentionally skipping through some of it and miss stuff. Plus all the voices tend to sound the same to me so it makes it difficult to identify them with the character

because I don't know japanese, bro. i'm not always asking for a dub, I just want subtitles.

Well they're obviously not going to have subtitled in a Japanese trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"