The Official Zack Snyder Thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Jul 4, 2011.

1. GoblinWhirlwind

GoblinWhirlwind Calibrations

I wish someone in the know would come out and say when to expect the first shot, like they did with the TDKR teaser and poster.

2. sethypants

sethypants Well-Known Member

I was really concerned at how Zack Snyder would bring MOS to glory so i managed to watch the DVD release of sucker punch.

To my surprise, the graphics was amazing, the full on action scene in the movie was spectacular. But what was lacking was a good plot. the movie was terrible in many sense. It was a novelty film to project a fantasy action film, imagined by a girl, but I find the plot really stale. All in all i'm glad Zack Snyder would not be writing or producing the film, but directing it instead and i can't wait to see what he'll do to MOS. If he could create such amazing fight scene and graphics with just 82 mil, imagine what he can do with 170 mil.

3. hopefuldreamer

hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

Yeah his talents definitely lie in directing rather than writing. But I did like the 'idea' of Sucker Punch. :)

4. Superman_20

Superman_20 Well-Known Member

Snyder as a director is very good. "Dawn of the Dead", "300", "Watchmen" were all well directed movies and the problem with "Sucker Punch" was just that, the story but not the visuals or directing. For a movie to be able to excite the audience needs to have those moments that are exciting and have that combination of flare and great music. He has a touch for the more dramatic scenes of a movie so I am sure he'll do fine with Superman.

5. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

I do really hope he eases up on the slow mo. Watchmen us only 85 when all at normal speed. Once or twice won't be bad though.

6. SuperDaniel

SuperDaniel Well-Known Member

I actually thought the story was pretty cool, especially the extended version.

7. Kryptonian Warrior

Kryptonian Warrior The Dawn Is Upon Us

Sucker Punch is one of those films that you really have to "get" before you can really enjoy it, as far as the story goes. The visuals were outstanding to be sure of, but I think a lot of the hate comes from the fact that a lot of people just don't get it. And when people don't get it, they automatically says it sucks. I realize that there are some people that do get it and still say it sucks, but you get what I mean. Does that make sense?

8. SuperDaniel

SuperDaniel Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people are dumb and need a simple story spelled out in front of them in order for them to understand the movie. They can't get the metaphors and different realities of the movie.

9. Kryptonian Warrior

I don't believe that they are necessarily dumb. In some cases, I'm sure that's what it is, but in others, I believe that people are just too lazy to figure things out for themselves.

10. JAK®

JAK® Upstart

I haven't seen Sucker Punch, although I'm a Zack Snyder fan. And while I would love to think that it's a better film than people claim, saying that people are just too stupid to understand it isn't really endearing me to your point of view.

11. Kryptonian Warrior

Yeah, it's one of those movies where you REALLY have to pay attention to what's going on to really understand it. I would highly recommend the Extended Cut as there are some extended scenes that helps things make more sense.

12. sepharih

sepharih Resident Censor Hater

Sucker Punch is awful....ranks alongside the likes of Dragonball Evolution and The last Airbender. It's the kind of film that isn't even "so bad it's good". It's just......a mediocre vapid bore.
    I don't mind it too much when a movie is little more than a vehicle for action or visual effects set pieces (or dance numbers for that matter).....but you've got to have some kind of vague character development or narrative to tie them in.
    Costume changes do not substitute for character development, and a change of scenery does not mean you have a plot.

Ultimately i do not think SuckerPunch should worry anyone about Man of steel though, because all it really has proven to me is that Snyder can make even the most boring mediocre story look gorgeous and striking in his own unique way, and he should stay as far away from the typewriter as possible....at least as long as he's not basing it on a pre-existing story.
    The story and screenplay for this movie was co-created by Chris Nolan and David Goyer....and Snyder is going to be in charge of bringing that to life.....

So it's going to be AWESOME.

13. DorkyFresh

DorkyFresh Sum Dum Goy

um....DBE is on it's own level. the only other movie that even approaches DBE's level of mishandling is SF: Legend of Chun-Li but it's not even close. i personally didn't care for Sucker Punch, but it was handled MUCH better than DBE was.

14. hopefuldreamer

Snyder actually said the same thing in an interview I watched the other day.

That basically the people who were giving it bad reviews hadn't actually even commented on the point of the movie, whereas the people who had picked up on the fact it was a comment on genre and filmgoing in general, had given it good reviews.

For me, the reason it's lacking isn't because I didn't get it. I totally get it, which is why I say I think the 'idea' of the film is fantastic.

But other than Babydoll, I found I didn't care about the other characters. I didn't care when they died.

And it's also really hard to engage with action and get excited when there is no real threat... You know it's a fantasy, so there's no tension.

That's what made the film a little 'boring' and why the first time I watched it, I wasn't engaged enough to finish it. I just didn't really care what happened, and I think once you've watched at least half of it, you've kind of already got the point of it in a way.

That said, I'm glad I did watch to the end, because I found the ending with babydoll after the lobotomy one of the most exciting bits, and having Sweet Pea be the only one to escape was a nice twist, and fit the character they'd establised her to be (she didn't really belong lost).

It's gorgeous visually (if a little video gamey at times), cast very well, and it's an exciting and original idea.

15. JAK®

JAK® Upstart

A film can have a message but it can still be a bad movie.

16. sepharih

The only thing Suckerpunch has over DBE's head is sheer production values. For all it's problems (and there are uncountable ones), DBE from a purely technical filmaking standpoint in many ways is better than Suckerpunch for the simple fact that it has things like: character development, a narrative, a clearly established antagonist, etc.
    Now I will in no way argue that all of those items were any way other then horrendously....but at least they were handled.
    Conversely, suckerpunch rambles incohrenently back and forth with no coherent story or growth to it's characters at all.
    They were both some of the worst movies I've seen recently.

"Lady in the Water" comes to mind.

17. El Payaso

El Payaso Well-Known Member

I know. Having a message to "get" doesn't automatically make yours a good movie.

18. hopefuldreamer

In fairness, some of the greatest 'films' of all time have had non linear narratives and no definite establishment of character.

I get that it doesn't work like that for Hollywood films, but if Snyder had put this idea into an arthouse film, or an independant film, maybe we'd be looking at it differently and it'd be a cult classic... But then maybe it wouldn't have had all the cool effects.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  19. El Payaso

El Payaso Well-Known Member

And what's Sucker Punch without the cool effects...?

20. hopefuldreamer

A quirky arthouse style movie about retreating into your fantasies in order to find inner strength... Did you watch the film on mute or something?

21. sepharih

This is a fair point....that being said, while I enjoy his work, Snyder is no Tarantino.

22. KRIM

KRIM Well-Known Member

Something that's not Sucker Punch.

I never quite understood this type of hypothetical question. Taking away a piece of an entity's identity, effectively alters its whole to the point where it wouldn't be what it originally was. So why bother asking?

23. hopefuldreamer

No, obviously not. I was saying that I don't think those tactics in a movie mean the director is not talented... It's just a matter of taste.

24. Superman2007

Superman2007 Well-Known Member

A Lunesta substitute.

Sucker Punch is the worst film I've seen this year. I went in really wanting to like it and down-playing the critics' reviews. They were right though, and I was left begging for this movie to be over. I guess I should've walked out, but I waited 'til the very end, just hoping that something would redeem the film on some level.

25. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

a better film

i was more intrigued by the non action scenes of sucker punch