The Old Official Superman Casting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
woodenrouth.jpg

Still towers over Cavill :p

Last edited:
Cavill2.jpg

This pic is kinda what a image Clark Kent looking like before he joins the Daily Planet though he'd have Glasses as well . He'd shave the stubble once he arrives in Metropolis.
Yeah, I've said before that Cavill has this distinct quality where he actually looks different in different pictures. In some pictures, he actually looks a little underwhelming, and then in other pictures he looks stunning (which is maybe why some on this board aren't convinced by him, they see the crappy pictures and think, "Eh, I'm not sold on this guy," but there's no question Cavill can look stunningly Superman in many pictures and especially in live action).

hc1q.jpg
hc2qwo.jpg

This "two-face" quality could help make it more believable that Clark is two different people. I know it's an absurd premise to begin with, but it's something that the costume, hair & make-up department could really take advantage of with Cavill. As Clark, frump him down, bad hair, glasses, unflattering lighting and camera angles, and then as Superman he'll have the costume, perfect hair, and backlighting and he'll look amazing.

That's one of the elements of Superman that a filmmaker hasn't taken advantage of, using visual film techniques to separate Clark and Superman. Donner just left it up to Reeve to make Clark nerdy and Superman cool and Reeve did a magnificent job, then Singer just followed in those footsteps, but since (correct me if I'm wrong) most fans now want to see a more neutral "I'm trying not to get noticed" Clark Kent, film techniques is a great way to go in order to make that potentially boring characterization work, and Cavill's look would give filmmakers a perfect flexible canvas to work from.

It's pretty evident. Even Reynolds (Hal Jordan) at 6'2 is taller than Cavill.

I think the Superman actor (at bare minimum) should be 6'3-6'4; especially with the realistic possiblity of crossovers being encouraged by WB (according to the GL producers)

I'm not down for camera tricks and whatnot. It didn't work very well with Jackman and Marsden in X-men.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't expect Cavill to be cast, either.

And see that's what I don't get.

Why waste your time and board space constantly professing your interest in him when there's no chance of him actually being cast?

Seems as pointless as the "Tom Welling for Superman" nuts.

It's pretty evident. Even Reynolds (Hal Jordan) at 6'2 is taller than Cavill.

I think the Superman actor (at bare minimum) should be 6'3-6'4; especially with the realistic possiblity of crossovers being encouraged by WB (according to the GL producers)

I'm not down for camera tricks and whatnot. It didn't work very well with Jackman and Marsden in X-men.
6'3 bare minimum is a ridiculous stipulation. You have any idea how many potential candidates you've just wiped out with that one factor? Camera already adds a good 2-3 inches in height, and a bit more depending on your supporting cast.

If the lead is 6'0 (which is my personal limitation), chances are they'll still tower over everyone on set. Besides, lifts are a quick and great alternative to someone who's already a 6-footer. No one would be able to tell the difference.

6'3 bare minimum is a ridiculous stipulation. You have any idea how many potential candidates you've just wiped out with that one factor? Camera already adds a good 2-3 inches in height, and a bit more depending on your supporting cast.

If the camera adds that much, Routh would have been 6'6 on camera. That wasn't apparent.

A 6'3 height does eliminate a lot of candidates; but that's part of how hard casting Superman is. There's a very specific set of physical criteria to meet. That's why it's the hardest superhero to cast.

Part of the reason why unknowns tend to be chosen.

If the lead is 6'0 (which is my personal limitation), chances are they'll still tower over everyone on set. Besides, lifts are a quick and great alternative to someone who's already a 6-footer. No one would be able to tell the difference.

Dean Cain was 6'0 and that was an epic fail. It was so strange seeing so many randoms tower over Superman.

And sorry but I'm not down with the actor wearing high heels either.

He has teh squarest jaw EVA!!

Well to your credit, I'll give you one thing.

You've got balls making that and then putting it on Bluetights.

That place is like the Routh worshipers universe. Good stuff.

I'd like to throw in my 2¢ about the whole actor height thing.

If you're dealing with actors who are already tall, it's pretty easy to make it look like a 6' 1" actor is taller than a 6' 2" actor by use of camera angles and whatnot. What is difficult though, is when you have to make an actor who's only 5' 10" look like he's 6' 3" amidst a sea of other 5' 10" - 6' actors. The people who are saying that 6' 1" is too short to play Superman are being way too anal though. They act as if unless the actor meets the bare minimum of the comic character's height, the whole movie is going to be thrown off balance. He's close enough that they could just put 1" soles on his feet with 1" heels and no-one will be able to tell the difference. Routh being 2" shorter than Superman's "canon height" is a non issue seeing as he's already well over the 6' threshold.

Well to your credit, I'll give you one thing.

You've got balls making that and then putting it on Bluetights.

That place is like the Routh worshipers universe. Good stuff.
I know, and thank you. Sometimes I have to break up the monotony of the Routh Lovefest.

If you're dealing with actors who are already tall, it's pretty easy to make it look like a 6' 1" actor is taller than a 6' 2" actor. What is difficult though, is when you have to make an actor who's only 5' 10" look like he's 6' 3" amidst a sea of other 5' 10" - 6' actors. The people who are saying that 6' 1" is too short to play Superman are being way too anal though. They act as if unless the actor meets the bare minimum of the comic character's height, the whole movie is going to be thrown off balance. He's close enough that they could just put 1" soles on his feet with 1" heels and no-one will be able to tell the difference.
:up:

And see that's what I don't get.

Why waste your time and board space constantly professing your interest in him when there's no chance of him actually being cast?

Seems as pointless as the "Tom Welling for Superman" nuts.

Cavill probably won't be cast, but he's got a much better chance at the role than Welling, who has already said he doesn't want to play Superman. The casting war ain't over 'til it's over so I can't blame anyone who backs Cavill to the bitter end.

If the camera adds that much, Routh would have been 6'6 on camera. That wasn't apparent.

A 6'3 height does eliminate a lot of candidates; but that's part of how hard casting Superman is. There's a very specific set of physical criteria to meet. That's why it's the hardest superhero to cast.

Part of the reason why unknowns tend to be chosen.

Dean Cain was 6'0 and that was an epic fail. It was so strange seeing so many randoms tower over Superman.

And sorry but I'm not down with the actor wearing high heels either.

If you can't see the heels on screen what's it matter?

If you're dealing with actors who are already tall, it's pretty easy to make it look like a 6' 1" actor is taller than a 6' 2" actor by use of camera angles and whatnot. What is difficult though, is when you have to make an actor who's only 5' 10" look like he's 6' 3" amidst a sea of other 5' 10" - 6' actors. The people who are saying that 6' 1" is too short to play Superman are being way too anal though. They act as if unless the actor meets the bare minimum of the comic character's height, the whole movie is going to be thrown off balance. He's close enough that they could just put 1" soles on his feet with 1" heels and no-one will be able to tell the difference. Routh being 2" shorter than Superman's "canon height" is a non issue seeing as he's already well over the 6' threshold.

Superman is 6'4. Routh is 6'3. Reeve was 6'4. I don't see a problem with a 6'3 minimum. Superman is a beast, towers over everyone.

And we already have a 6'2 Green Lantern/Hal Jordan with Ryan Reynolds.

On the flipside for Marvel, Chris Hemsworth as Thor is 6'3 too (another role that depends strongly on physicality).

Cavill said himself that he's somewhere between 6'0 and 6'1. That's really not much more than Dean Cain when you think about it, but to each his own.

If Routh doesn't continue, and they cast another new unknown, I hope it's someone taller than Ryan Reynolds at least.

I know, and thank you. Sometimes I have to break up the monotony of the Routh Lovefest.

Ha. I think that's the only reason the same few mention Cavill around here too.

I guess a board with only one possible candidate for a role is boring, things had to be shaken up..

Ha. I think that's the only reason the same few mention Cavill around here too.

I guess a board with only one possible candidate for a role is boring, things had to be shaken up..
Absolutely. Honestly, I have no major problem with Routh's look and physique (just minor ones that I won't even bother getting into.) I'm just not content with his chops, and I'm not saying that to start a conversation about it, because, really, its an argument neither side can actually win. It just irks me when some people (not mentioning any names) will take the opportunity to repost EVERY pro-Routh comment with an "agreed" attached. Its borderline spam, and it drives me bananas.

Acting is such a debatable and subjective area too.

The most important thing, however, is how popular any Superman actor would be with the general audience.

That will ultimately decide whether the actor choice for Superman was a win or not.

And of course, a lot of that will strongly depend on the quality of the film too.

I don't know why people are trying to make Cavill's height an issue. He is right at 6'. The average height of a man is 5'8 last time I heard (give or take inch) Make sure his boots give him another 1-2 inches. Physically his issue will just be bulking up, 6' height=non issue imo.

Acting is such a debatable and subjective area too.

The most important thing, however, is how popular any Superman actor would be with the general audience.

That will ultimately decide whether the actor choice for Superman was a win or not.

And of course, a lot of that will strongly depend on the quality of the film too.
You said it. :up:

I don't know why people are trying to make Cavill's height an issue. He is right at 6'. The average height of a man is 5'8 last time I heard (give or take inch) Make sure his boots give him another 1-2 inches. Physically his issue will just be bulking up, 6' height=non issue imo.
I actually did a bit of research, and the average height for a man is 5'10" - both around the world and in the USA. I also checked out the average height of all men that have played Superman, and Cavill meets that average at 6'1". I know there is debate about Cavill being 6' or 6'1", but I've seen photos of him with other actors who stand 6', and Cavill is clearly taller.

But, it doesn't matter. To those who think he's too short, he'll remain too short.

Absolutely. Honestly, I have no major problem with Routh's look and physique (just minor ones that I won't even bother getting into.) I'm just not content with his chops, and I'm not saying that to start a conversation about it, because, really, its an argument neither side can actually win. It just irks me when some people (not mentioning any names) will take the opportunity to repost EVERY pro-Routh comment with an "agreed" attached. Its borderline spam, and it drives me bananas.
yeah, it does get a bit tiring. Everybody should know by now where a person stands on who they want in the role. Repeating it over and over and over again is not gonna convince the suits to bow to that wish, and it WON'T change any minds here either.
Besides, I would think by now WB has decided what they will do anyway, we just don't know it.

I don't see a problem with a 6'3 minimum.

It disqualifies good actors, which for me is a problem-- especially since Cavill is 6' 1", and he is my top choice. It's just a stupid, convinient way to disqualify Cavill and make Routh look more legitimate.

But, it doesn't matter. To those who think he's too short, he'll remain too short.

Correction: to Routh supporters he'll remain too short.

Last edited:
It disqualifies good actors, which for me is a problem-- especially since Cavill is 6' 1", and he is my top choice. It's just a stupid, convinient way to disqualify Cavill and make Routh look more legitimate.

I disagree.

And a bigger issue you should be concerned with as a 'stupid, convinient way to disqualify Cavill' is the fact that the WB execs want an American actor to play Superman.. :hehe:

Not that not being American is the primary reason Cavill won't be cast... but it doesn't help.

The height problem with Cavill is more of a personal pet peeve in what I prefer to fit the Superman look, and I'm not a fan of high heels and camera tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88