The Old Official Superman Casting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree.

Of course you would. Conveniently, the actor you want wouldn't be weeded out by it. :o

And a bigger issue you should be concerned with as a 'stupid, convinient way to disqualify Cavill' is the fact that the WB execs want an American actor to play Superman.

I don't believe that Cavill being British will disqualify him from running. It might mean that some execs at Warner Bros. will be biased against him, but if the director wants him in the role I don't think they're going to get in his way. Keep in mind, he was almost Brett Ratner's Superman, and him being British is not why that project got scrapped. With Captain American the prerequisite that the actor be American makes sense since he's Captain America, but with Superman it's not necessary, especially since he's an immigrant anyway.

Last edited:
What's really sad is we'll probably lose Sam Huntington. He'd be too old for a young 'year one' reboot Jimmy Olsen.

Especially since he was intentionally cast as an older Jimmy with SR being a "5 years later" story.

alo05661144485.jpg

He's going to be hard to replace. He fit the role so naturally and well.

And a bigger issue you should be concerned with as a 'stupid, convinient way to disqualify Cavill' is the fact that the WB execs want an American actor to play Superman.. :hehe:
Because the mostly international/British cast found in Nolan's series has worked out terribly so far. :o

The height problem with Cavill is more of a personal pet peeve in what I prefer to fit the Superman look, and I'm not a fan of high heels and camera tricks.
Neither of which would be an issue because they aren't apparent. Especially not for actors that already 6-foot.

What's really sad is we'll probably lose Sam Huntington. He'd be too old for a young 'year one' reboot Jimmy Olsen.

He's going to be hard to replace. He fit the role so naturally and well.
...it's f**kin' Jimmy. There are literally dozens of actors in Hollywood that could fit the role.

Of course you would, because the actor you want wouldn't be weeded out by it.

There is no actor 'I want' for the role right now.

I'm just being realistic in the case with Brandon Routh and the likelihood that he's WB's favorite for this.

I don't believe that Cavill being British will disqualify him from running. It might mean that some execs at Warner Bros. will be biased against him, but if the director wants him in the role I don't think they're going to get in his way.

That's your opinion, but I know from good sources that the execs do want an American in the role (consider Superman DC's 'Captain America'); even Showtime came out with this a few weeks back.

And in regards to the director? Studio gets the final say in casting and this thing will undoubtedly be VERY studio controlled.

The tight studio control this time around was the main reason Bryan Singer bailed on the sequel too.

Because the mostly international/British cast found in Nolan's series has worked out terribly so far.

Take that up with Warner Bros. Not me.

They want an American as Superman.

Neither of which would be an issue because they aren't apparent. Especially not for actors that already 6-foot.

I'm just not a fan of that. It's cheap and fake.

Yes I know Cavill is 6', around the same height as Dean Cain. I get that.

We had a 6'4 Superman with Reeve on and offscreen. I personally don't like faking the actor's height with 'movie magic' so he'd appear taller onscreen than guys like Reynolds at 6'2.

That's just my personal preference.

...it's f**kin' Jimmy. There are literally dozens of actors in Hollywood that could fit the role.

As well as Sam Huntington? I wish that were true.

Eh, I think Olsen is one of the easier roles to cast. Both of the Olsen's on Lois and Clark, the fake Olsen on SV, eh... Not too hard to pull off.

Sam isn't in his 20's? :confused:

Yeah, I mean he'd be 30 by 2012. That's too old for a reboot Jimmy unfortunately.

Eh, I think Olsen is one of the easier roles to cast. Both of the Olsen's on Lois and Clark, the fake Olsen on SV, eh... Not too hard to pull off.

None of them were as natural with it as Sam. None of them had the great comedic timing. Check out "Fanboys"

The only name actor I could kinda see being as natural at it is Anton Yelchin, but he's Checkov to me.

But I suppose they could easily find some lesser knowns who could pull it off.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean he'd be 30 by 2012. That's too old for a reboot Jimmy unfortunately.

If he still looks mid 20's by the time he hits 30, not a big deal. I mean look at Welling, he is heading up on 33 but still pulls off 20's on film.

I still don't think it matters that much, cause a lot of people can pull off that role. I think right now fans seem to want Michael Cera for Jimmy.

Take that up with Warner Bros. Not me.

They want an American as Superman.
I'm not taking up anything unless I see something definitive. All I know is their 2 biggest franchises are run by more internationals than there are locals, which tells me that there isn't much stipulation on nationality.

I'm just not a fan of that. It's cheap and fake.
It's fake? Yes, it's fake. As is 90% of everything you see in a movie is fake. I'm not sure where you're getting at here.

Yes I know Cavill is 6', around the same height as Dean Cain. I get that.

We had a 6'4 Superman with Reeve on and offscreen. I personally don't like faking the actor's height with 'movie magic' so he'd appear taller onscreen than guys like Reynolds at 6'2.

That's just my personal preference.
That's your right, I respect that. I'm just trying to understand if there is a reason beyond "knowing" it's fake. For example, I know several special effects in my favorite movies are "fake", but as long as it's convincing as I'm viewing it, I couldn't care less how the visuals were achieved.

As well as Sam Huntington? I wish that were true.
Jimmy is such a simple character both in appearance and character, that I don't find it to be all that difficult to find a young man to fulfill those shoes. I've been pleased with practically every live-action portrayal, so that tells me it can't be that difficult. I especially loved both actors in Lois & Clark. Sam was semi-good, but he came off as a caricature many times with not much depth so he's lower on the ladder for me.

Dean Cain doesn't always look tall back then because he had more of an athletic build. If you take someone with more of a swimmer's build, they will look taller.

I mean look at Cain(6' and even 6'1 by some reports) with his stunt guy(5'9)

Looks quite a bit taller when you see them side by side :o

the%20new%20adventure%20of%20superman.jpg

Of course it matters if other actors cast in the show/or movie are over 6'. Even Routh had some scenes with Langella(6'2) shot differently to make sure he was obviously taller.

If he still looks mid 20's by the time he hits 30, not a big deal. I mean look at Welling, he is heading up on 33 but still pulls off 20's on film.

That's debatable. They tend to overdo his makeup to make him look younger to the point where he looks like a pansy.

And Jimmy shouldn't be mid-20s in a "Year One" Superman film anyway. That would make him slightly younger to Clark and Lois by only a few years.

I still don't think it matters that much, cause a lot of people can pull off that role. I think right now fans seem to want Michael Cera for Jimmy.

Michael Cera plays a similar role and similar type in all his films...

The quiet, awkward, passive, sarcastic introvert.

That is essentially the antithesis of the bright and energetic extroverted Jimmy Olsen.

The fans who mention Cera don't really consider that. That's why fan casting is generally completely off base.

I'm not taking up anything unless I see something definitive. All I know is their 2 biggest franchises are run by more internationals than there are locals, which tells me that there isn't much stipulation on nationality.

Superman is a different scenario, at least that's how the execs view it. Superman is Americana personified. Again, the easiest way to look at it is he's WB/DC's "Captain America."

It's fake? Yes, it's fake. As is 90% of everything you see in a movie is fake. I'm not sure where you're getting at here. That's your right, I respect that. I'm just trying to understand if there is a reason beyond "knowing" it's fake. For example, I know several special effects in my favorite movies are "fake", but as long as it's convincing as I'm viewing it, I couldn't care less how the visuals were achieved.

Because personally I prefer an actor who looks the part onscreen and off to the general audiences without movie magic altering his stance.

That's just my preference when it comes to Superman.

There was the same kind of fan backlash against Routh for wearing a musclesuit in SR when Reeve didn't and only naturally worked out. Same deal.

Of course, that's a moot point now with Routh currently jacked up like a beast.

Jimmy is such a simple character both in appearance and character, that I don't find it to be all that difficult to find a young man to fulfill those shoes. I've been pleased with practically every live-action portrayal, so that tells me it can't be that difficult. I especially loved both actors in Lois & Clark. Sam was semi-good, but he came off as a caricature many times with not much depth so he's lower on the ladder for me.

When you start trying hard to give Jimmy Olsen depth like love triangles, affairs, drug habits etc... you just lose base with what the character is IMO.

Sam is certainly capable of playing any types of emotions required of the character however.

Personally, I'll be glad to be rid of him. He was a horrible Jimmy and one of my least favorite parts of SR (and that says A LOT). He was basically like the Parker Posey of team Clark, but I supposed that's mostly due to how he was written. It was like "OK, we get it, this version of Jimmy is supposed to be gay. Next joke, please." :o

Last edited:
Ya i say too jimmy is probably one of the most easiest superman characters to cast, you could probably say the same thing for perry too. Its lois/superman that need to be right, and are the tougher ones to cast.

Who ever plays Jimmy is the least of my concerns. My worries are who directs it, who gets cast as supes, who gets cast as Lex, and who will play the other villain.

EDIT: not sure if Lex will even be there, but I think its a pretty good bet that he will be.

ya lex should be there in some form/way if it is a reboot just to show us he is a different take on the character. But not the total main threat leave that to the likes of brainiac/metallo, and lex more the puppet master.

If we could find a credible casting choice without the name Cavil or Routh, I would be ecstatic.

Ya would be nice, but if they are going all new, i am sure who ever is the director could find someone else who works for what they will be doing. like i said before i would like if we step away from the Chris reeve look of superman/traditation look and the next supes actor can have an all new look to him so we can have a new look for the new age.

If we could find a credible casting choice without the name Cavil or Routh, I would be ecstatic.

Honestly, if it came down to Routh and Cavill, I'd be ecstatic.

At least we know we'll end up with someone capable either way.

What worries me is it will either be Routh or a completely new unknown...

And the later isn't very optimistic.

I want Cavil, but we both know that isn't going to happen. Brandon Routh in a reboot is a deal breaker for me. I won't go into detail, you know the song and dance.

The unknown aspect worries me solely because that most probably means little to no experience. That's not very reassuring. We've combed through practically every little actor that has done something in tv/film. At this point the only candidates that would be fit for this part that we haven't found aren't in the biz.

I, too, would prefer Routh and Cavill, with considerably more preference on the latter. Those are the only two so far that I've ever liked for this role, looks and age-wise.

I know that fanboys are like "Damn those Cavill supporters" and me being the outsider here, I really don't get that mentality of some of those folks. If the dude has talent, then let it be and wish for the best. It's weird to see this casting contest going on.

I know that fanboys are like "Damn those Cavill supporters" and me being the outsider here, I really don't get that mentality of some of those folks. If the dude has talent, then let it be and wish for the best. It's weird to see this casting contest going on.

I'm just of a more realistic mindset. There's no point 'wishing for the best' for someone who won't be cast.

At the end of the day, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

That's what happened with the Wellingnites, but I'm sure the Cavill fans won't react as badly. There's only a few but of the few I've seen on here and BT, they seem pretty civil and realistic for the most part.

Even Lucid is aware of the unrealistic chance of Cavill getting this.

Yeah, but Octoberist, for those that see Cavill as perfect Superman material, there are equally those that basically just, well, don't. It's only natural that they are going to voice that and not content with just 'letting it be' - given that they think they already have the perfect guy for the role.

Really, it's no different than a fervent anti-Routh protester voicing their displeasure of Brandon over and over again while at the same time boosting the actor that they think should next get the role.

Horses for courses, I guess. It's all subjective, given whatever side of the fence youre on. Each side reckons they are in the right and that the others are wrong.

What's a person to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"