The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could actually somewhat believe that sort of deal. Nani I think would be more suited to Spain, in my opinion it's a little slower a league & not as many rough defenders looking to chop you down if you try a flick or trick.

De Gea, I wouldn't believe as much. I don't think United would allow him to leave for pretty much anything less than what they signed him for given that he has shown signs of being the sort of keeper Manchester United want ie good shot stopper, good distribution & comfortable with the ball at his feet. If he can bulk himself up a little & be a little more of an authority figure in the penalty area I think he'll be fine. Not to mention I'm pretty sure he is an Atletico Madrid boy so I'm not too sure if he'd be all that keen on a move to Real Madrid given the intense rivalry between the 2 clubs.

Valencia + Nani + £50m for Ronaldo, I'd take it. Valencia has developed Nani syndrome in that he is slowing us down going forward at the moment with the ridiculous amount of time he delays passes/crosses.

I have seen stranger deals, but the chances of this happening are virtually zero seeing as the club doesn't even seem competent enough to go after a talent like Sneijder for a bargain price..

Yeah but if we lose Valencia then yeah we get Ronaldo back but what do we have in the form of wingers after that? Ashley Young. I mean it could work especially if there's a formation change because of Ronaldo but I think United would lose too much. Sure De Gea has immense potential but United really does seem to operate on a Win now mentality. How long do they wait for De Gea to figure out how to defend a cross or a corner?

Happy new year!

I think so too. Though, I'm not one of De Gea's biggest fans, he has potential but if it meant getting CR7 back, bad place yes.

Though, it really does make me think of Casillas. With Mou's recent benching of him, could this be spelling the end of Casillas at Real Madrid?

To get Ronaldo back there are very few deals I'd be opposed to in truth, he'd be such a huge boost.

I think Mourinho is more likely to leave Real than Casillas, this almost seems like him daring them to sack him.

Yeah, Happy New Year to everyone!!

Ronaldo's match winning skills are a much rarer commodity than those that are needed in any replacements of the mentioned players.

Happy new year!
I think Mourinho is more likely to leave Real than Casillas, this almost seems like him daring them to sack him.

I think you're bang on the money there, Casillas is quite influential in the dressing room politics for both Real and the Spanish national team. He's also still insanely popular with the president, Madrid fans and is seen as one of them. Deffo a case of Mourinho seeing how far he can push things.

To get Ronaldo back there are very few deals I'd be opposed to in truth, he'd be such a huge boost.

Honestly I'd rather see United try to get a few players in that will replace Scholes & Giggs. Don't get me wrong Ronaldo is a quality player, but personally I feel we need players that hold onto ball & have the quality to feed the ball into areas that Rooney & van Persie can do damage.

If we could land Sneijder in January, something that could be possible as I believe he is still eligible for Champions League football this season, I would be happy with Anderson, Carrick, Kagawa, Sneijder, Cleverley & Fletcher being amongst our ranks next year. Then operate with 3 up front Rooney, van Persie & either Valencia, Nani, Young, Welbeck or Hernandez.. or persist with a diamond formation with 1 defensive midfielder, 2 central & 1 attacking midfielder.

Real Madrid would be foolish to sack Mourinho. They'll find it very difficult to replace him with someone as tactically good not to mention someone with such a proven track record. I can't see them winning La Liga this year as they've thrown away a few games that they could/should have had something from & it has cost them big time.

Problem seems to be when Barcelona play a team that sets shop up to defend for 90 minutes, they continue to play way, they don't over commit bodies forward in search of a goal, they just keep plucking away.. whereas when Real Madrid come up against such a team, they start to get careless & commit to many people forward leaving themselves exposed for counter attacks.. or leave them fatigued by the end of the match from all the bombing forward.

not sure why you all want Sneijder at all.... has anyone watched him play over the last 2 years!

Sneijder and Van Persie aren't too friendly either from what I recall.

I thought United were interested in Strootman.

I hope to God that we are interested in Strootman! Seriously though, if we don't buy in January, like, at all, it's gonna leave me pissed!

Also, should I do a transfer feature on the different teams based on what positions, in my opinion of course, each of the major teams can improve on? I mean, if no one minds?

Last edited:
I hope to God that we are interested in Strootman! Seriously though, if we don't buy in January, like, at all, it's gonna leave me pissed!

Also, should I do a transfer feature on the different teams based on what positions, in my opinion of course, each of the major teams can improve on? I mean, if no one minds?

Go for it. :up:

I think you're bang on the money there, Casillas is quite influential in the dressing room politics for both Real and the Spanish national team. He's also still insanely popular with the president, Madrid fans and is seen as one of them. Deffo a case of Mourinho seeing how far he can push things.

It will be interesting to see where the chips fall, I get the impression Mourinho doesn't really care, he'll not have any trouble finding a job.

Honestly I'd rather see United try to get a few players in that will replace Scholes & Giggs. Don't get me wrong Ronaldo is a quality player, but personally I feel we need players that hold onto ball & have the quality to feed the ball into areas that Rooney & van Persie can do damage.

If we could land Sneijder in January, something that could be possible as I believe he is still eligible for Champions League football this season, I would be happy with Anderson, Carrick, Kagawa, Sneijder, Cleverley & Fletcher being amongst our ranks next year. Then operate with 3 up front Rooney, van Persie & either Valencia, Nani, Young, Welbeck or Hernandez.. or persist with a diamond formation with 1 defensive midfielder, 2 central & 1 attacking midfielder.

Ronaldo is a monster of a player, in my view he outweighs any other option as we are already scoring and creating chances, add him and with the triple R attack we'd blow most teams away in the PL.

Sneijder has looked awful for quite some time, he's greedy and lazy, he's not a player who'll occupy a 4-4-2, he basically plays in the role Rooney plays.

I think if we got Ronaldo back then the two buys we'd need are 2 real CM's to complete a quartet for rotation with Carrick and Cleverley.

Real Madrid would be foolish to sack Mourinho. They'll find it very difficult to replace him with someone as tactically good not to mention someone with such a proven track record. I can't see them winning La Liga this year as they've thrown away a few games that they could/should have had something from & it has cost them big time.

Problem seems to be when Barcelona play a team that sets shop up to defend for 90 minutes, they continue to play way, they don't over commit bodies forward in search of a goal, they just keep plucking away.. whereas when Real Madrid come up against such a team, they start to get careless & commit to many people forward leaving themselves exposed for counter attacks.. or leave them fatigued by the end of the match from all the bombing forward.

I think the big problem is the Spanish/Portuguese rift in the camp and the fact Mourinho is not the type of manager they are used to, he wont fall in line and that bothers them.

not sure why you all want Sneijder at all.... has anyone watched him play over the last 2 years!

I don't personally, I think that ship has sailed, I'd prefer Gundogan.

Go for it. :up:

Seconded. :up:

Team Analysis: The January Transfer Window 2013

Manchester United
210.png

A New Midfielder- A requirement for a new midfielder has been there for quite a while now. With Owen Hargreaves injury torn ever since the Champions League win back in 2008 and then leaving last year, United have been bereft of an Anchor in midfield. Now with Scholes also nearing an end (again!) to a glorious trophy ridden career, it is pertinent that United sort their midfield out. The obvious candidates that have emerged in recent times are Kevin Strootman and Victor Wanyama.
The Dark Horse- Wesley Sneijder.

A New Winger- I know, I know! We always thought we had enough of them. But this season more than any, we have felt a complete lack of them so much so that Sir Alex has been forced to play a midfield diamond to counter his lack of quality wide options. Both Nani (when he was fit) and Valencia look off the boil and Young was in footballing terms, a panic buy. With Bebe moving back to Portugal and Giggs close to calling time on his own marvellous career it leaves a space open for a new winger to come to Old Trafford. The names doing the rounds are Wilfred Zaha and James Rodriguez with me of course preferring the latter.
The Dark Horse- Cristiano Ronaldo

A Left Back- Actually what they need is a back-up left back who can be at the club well after Evra is done. Or someone who can play across the back line. Leighton Baines has been talked up by the media in recent times and while he'd be absolutely brilliant, I'd like to see a Fabio take up the left side of defence in the long term. Maybe there is a way we could get him back from QPR and send Buttner the other way! Fabio also provides decent back-up on the right side of defence.
The Dark Horse- Ashley Cole

* * *​

Manchester City
345.png

A New Defender- To be quite honest City have one of the strongest starting elevens in England. What they lack though is decent cover in many positions but most importantly central defence. With Joleon Lescott quite possibly on his way out, it is important City spruce up their defence. A prime candidate is Mamadou Sakho who has been eyed by Mancini for quite some time now. The other name doing the rounds is Ryan Shawcross.
The Dark Horse- Daniel Agger

A Midfield General- With Yaya going to the ACN in January soon, City need someone not named Javi Garcia they can depend on. Its true Mancini got two central midfielders this summer but both have really failed to make an impression in the first half of the season. And Gareth Barry is a good player, no doubt, but he is not my idea of a first choice midfielder for a Championship chasing team. They are over-dependent on Yaya and his absence may come back to bite them! De Rossi is Mancini's long-term target and I could see Mancini doing handstands if he gets him this month!
The Dark Horse- Marouane Fellaini

Playmaker/ Striker- The popular opinion is that they have plenty of both and whoever wants to go to City now would probably end up on the bench like Sinclair. The thing is, one of their playmakers is Samir Nasri whose form is as fickle as they come. He is a sort of player who has one good match inter-spruced between a couple of really bad matches where at best he's anonymous. And then there is Mario "Why always him" Balotelli who shuttles between the sublime and the ridiculous and may well be on his way out! Spanish playmaker Isco has been one of their targets since last summer and could be made available this transfer window. Fernando Llorente is another player closely monitored by City and could make a move in January. Either of these positions being filled could see a City team tear apart defences in the league like they did last year.
The Dark Horses- Falcao, Kaka

Next up... Chelsea & Tottenham

Last edited:
Guessing I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Leeds analysis? :o :woot:

Last edited:
Enjoyed reading that..please continue! Agreed on most points. Someone needs to get De Rossi. Would improve either of those teams.

Leeds analysis: will sell anoyone worth more than £1.5 mil - will either bring in no-one or someone who isnt very good

Happy?

Not really. I think kit will agree. :woot:

Demba Ba to Chelsea is pretty much happening.

Enjoyed reading that..please continue! Agreed on most points. Someone needs to get De Rossi. Would improve either of those teams.

City wanted to sign DDR in last 3 or 4 transfer windows. Even offered 33.5M in August but he said "No". Roma would sell but he doesn't want to leave. And I think City are not interested in Fellaini but had some talks with Cirgliano (River Plate), Paulinho (Corinthians), Fernandinho (Shakhtar) and Benat (Betis). I'm sure another CM wil join sooner or later.

Leeds analysis: will sell anoyone worth more than £1.5 mil - will either bring in no-one or someone who isnt very good

Happy?

£1.5 million?? Calm down mate it's our mysterious Sheikh you're dealing with can't be that high, £10 and a beard comb should secure you our playing squad.

In fact I've found a picture of him

ken-bates-sells-leeds-united.jpeg

lol @ Ken Bates
City wanted to sign DDR in last 3 or 4 transfer windows. Even offered 33.5M in August but he said "No". Roma would sell but he doesn't want to leave. And I think City are not interested in Fellaini but had some talks with Cirgliano (River Plate), Paulinho (Corinthians), Fernandinho (Shakhtar) and Benat (Betis). I'm sure another CM wil join sooner or later.
Ah so they did go for it seriously. Don't hear of that very often when a player can make a lot more money & the club is willing to let them go & they end up staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"