The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to watch the meaningless Chelsea game since my friends over here support Chelsea.

Were my eyes playing tricks or was there really a spring in Fernando Torres's step in the second half? Beware Sunderland! Benitez-Torres love affair, anyone?

Also, the referee was horrendous!

Didn't get to see the game live last night but saw some highlights & goals, from what I've been told it was a flat performance, however from the chances I saw we should & could have scored at least 2 or 3. The Cluj goal was a superb strike though.

I'm not too fussed because we were already comfortably through, however with the team we fielded & given that we were at home, I feel we should have still won the game quite comfortably.

I'm pretty sure the 4 I bolded are all injured. the thing is when you field Tevez, Dzeko, Aguero, Balotelli, Nasri, Kompany etc...you should compete better than they did, that is a strong enough line-up to give any team a game but other than Tevez no one seemed up to takinhg Dortmund on.

I can only surmise they were injured as I'm pretty sure UEFA fine teams if they feel one of them has fielded an overly weak team with no legitimate reason.. also given the fact a win would have only taken them into the Europa League I'm sure they'd have been trying to win however with Toure/Silva missing & Kolarov's dangerous set piece ability it just made City look very weak.

I agree no one looks unbeatable although Barca are once again looking ominous as the season progressess. For us I don't think the CL is a realisitc goal though, I just want us to win the league and finally make it to another FA Cup final

Even though Barcelona have only dropped 2 points this season so far in La Liga & those were in a 2-2 draw with Real Madrid, I've not been overly impressed with them this year. Perhaps it's because they had been playing so well in recent years that I am holding the team up too high.

They look strong in possession as they always do, however I feel they've looked fairly suspect at the back, looking vulnerable to counter attacks & fast physical players. They have only conceded 16 goals in La Liga thus far, however some of the chances I've seen created against them this year, they are somewhat fortunate that it isn't 26 rather than 16.

It's hardly surprising to see them give up more chances considering the defenders they tend to field are usually never 4 defenders in their correct position, they usually have to play players out of position to make up for the fact that Pique & Puyol rarely play a game together anymore due to the fact that one of them is usually always carrying some sort of knock that keeps them on the bench or out of the team.. similar to Ferdinand & Vidic situation for us.

I presume it's old news to some of you but has anyone else seen Carlos Tevez payslip?

Tevez-payslip.jpg

AFTER tax & whatnot he makes £408,397.

From what it is reported Yaya Toure is the highest paid Manchester City player with Tevez & Aguero following just after. They are probably paying just under £1.4m in wages for 3 players alone, nevermind what Silva, Balotelli, Dzeko, Nasri etc are on.

We all knew City paid the worlds most ridiculous wages, but I had no idea it was on this level of ridiculous.

It seems Arsenal want Henry on loan but through the end of the season. Meaning if the Red Bulls agree to this, he would miss the first 3 months of the MLS season.

Anybody else just shake their heads at the ridiculous overreaction to Lionel Messi's "injury"? Reports say he might play this weekend.

Anybody else just shake their heads at the ridiculous overreaction to Lionel Messi's "injury"? Reports say he might play this weekend.

Probably the fact that he was stretchered off. The general perception is that such a thing almost never ends well!

But they always do the same thing. It was a knee bruise I tore my ACL playing american football and stayed in the game for 3 more plays. Messi goes down with a cold they call the ambulance and he ends up not missing a game. A rainy Tuesday in Stoke would kill him.

But they always do the same thing. It was a knee bruise I tore my ACL playing american football and stayed in the game for 3 more plays. Messi goes down with a cold they call the ambulance and he ends up not missing a game. A rainy Tuesday in Stoke would kill him.

Oh! WTF! Would someone sponsor this game already and help us get over it!!!

I was just using the current Chelsea dressing room as an example, my point is I don't think Pep could control a powerful dressing room hence why I don't rate him as highly as some. He's really ticked off Villa, Ibra and others in his time there, I personally think he got lucky that Messi's injury record is amazing. Imagine if he'd done an ACL or was out for 6 months and Pep had to rely on the guys he's been messing around?

From what I read the issue was with Messi and Villa over playing centrally, Villa knew before he went to Barca that he'd have to play out of position as Messi had started to play as a false 9 so I'm not sure why he was upset. The Ibra thing was odd but quite possiby Pep's fault, it was evident almost immediately that Ibra didn't fit into how they play and he said afterwards that he felt like an outcast with the Catalan midgets, clearly Pep didn't do anything to try and make that work even though it was him that wanted Ibra because he recognized the need for a plan B. However when he took over he managed to transform Eto'o who had become a huge partier with Ronaldinho and was seen as a bad influence to the younger players.

It is certainly going to be interesting to see what happens to him with his next managerial appointment, it's true that with Barca he was ingrained into the culture and hero worshipped by the bulk of the players he turned into the best team in the world so a dressing room without that reverance for him will be a fresh challenge, will he be a Mourinho or an AVB?

Didn't get to see the game live last night but saw some highlights & goals, from what I've been told it was a flat performance, however from the chances I saw we should & could have scored at least 2 or 3. The Cluj goal was a superb strike though.

I'm not too fussed because we were already comfortably through, however with the team we fielded & given that we were at home, I feel we should have still won the game quite comfortably.

The game didn't matter and we should have nabbed a draw but it was dissapointing that none of the young players that got starts really shone, of course Fergie insisting on playing 4-4-2 didn't help Powell and took Rooney so far wide that he couldn't effect the play.

I can only surmise they were injured as I'm pretty sure UEFA fine teams if they feel one of them has fielded an overly weak team with no legitimate reason.. also given the fact a win would have only taken them into the Europa League I'm sure they'd have been trying to win however with Toure/Silva missing & Kolarov's dangerous set piece ability it just made City look very weak.

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding the team you field, I mean we fielded a weaker 11 than City but there was no talk of fines that I heard. Silva predictably has been cleared fit for Sunday lol.

Even though Barcelona have only dropped 2 points this season so far in La Liga & those were in a 2-2 draw with Real Madrid, I've not been overly impressed with them this year. Perhaps it's because they had been playing so well in recent years that I am holding the team up too high.

They look strong in possession as they always do, however I feel they've looked fairly suspect at the back, looking vulnerable to counter attacks & fast physical players. They have only conceded 16 goals in La Liga thus far, however some of the chances I've seen created against them this year, they are somewhat fortunate that it isn't 26 rather than 16.

It's hardly surprising to see them give up more chances considering the defenders they tend to field are usually never 4 defenders in their correct position, they usually have to play players out of position to make up for the fact that Pique & Puyol rarely play a game together anymore due to the fact that one of them is usually always carrying some sort of knock that keeps them on the bench or out of the team.. similar to Ferdinand & Vidic situation for us.

Fair points, I mean Benfica carved them open a few times last night and they do seem to resist buying central defensive cover, instead using midfielders out of position.

They also attack faster under Villanova and that sees them countered more and face more pressure, but they are still 11 points clear of Real in La Liga and if Messi stays fit I think they remain the team to beat in the CL, in fact depending on the draw it wouldn't surprise me if the semis ended up with 2 Spanish clubs and 2 German clubs.

Oh! WTF! Would someone sponsor this game already and help us get over it!!!

When I become an eccentric billionaire I will do everything possible to make this happen. Even set up fake rain in case of good weather. Barcelona would never agree to it though.

Manchester United move for 2 of Manchester City's top transfer targets worth £20m

I've not heard of either, probably because I don't follow Croatian football, however the papers seem to rate both with good potential.

Arsenal confident of signing Wilfried Zaha

Despite his Twitter rant about Arsenal the other night, I think Arsenal will more than likely be his next club if the fee is right. £9m sounds a hell of a lot more realistic than the £20m I was hearing last week & lets be honest, it's not £9m or £20m because he looks worth that type of money. It's £9m-£20m because he has shown a glimmer of talent & he is English.

If Arsenal land Zaha I would say they'd be a little more willing to sell Walcott on if he won't sign a new deal.

Fair points, I mean Benfica carved them open a few times last night and they do seem to resist buying central defensive cover, instead using midfielders out of position.

They also attack faster under Villanova and that sees them countered more and face more pressure, but they are still 11 points clear of Real in La Liga and if Messi stays fit I think they remain the team to beat in the CL, in fact depending on the draw it wouldn't surprise me if the semis ended up with 2 Spanish clubs and 2 German clubs.

I personally think Real Madrid are the team to beat this year, Barcelona of course aren't far behind. Dortmund & Shakhtar could be surprise semi-finalists/finalists depending on the draw as I feel both have looked solid in their groups. Then you've clubs like Bayern, PSG & Manchester United who have yet to hit top gear in the CL & made their groups look routine. Then there's the likes of Arsenal, Juventus & Valencia who will be no pushovers either.

I love the Champions League. :D

I know SAF never buys in January, but who are everyones transfer targets this year? I would personally love to see United sell Nani and Macheda, and bring in Victor Wanyama and Stephan El Shaarawy.

From what I read the issue was with Messi and Villa over playing centrally, Villa knew before he went to Barca that he'd have to play out of position as Messi had started to play as a false 9 so I'm not sure why he was upset. The Ibra thing was odd but quite possiby Pep's fault, it was evident almost immediately that Ibra didn't fit into how they play and he said afterwards that he felt like an outcast with the Catalan midgets, clearly Pep didn't do anything to try and make that work even though it was him that wanted Ibra because he recognized the need for a plan B. However when he took over he managed to transform Eto'o who had become a huge partier with Ronaldinho and was seen as a bad influence to the younger players.

It is certainly going to be interesting to see what happens to him with his next managerial appointment, it's true that with Barca he was ingrained into the culture and hero worshipped by the bulk of the players he turned into the best team in the world so a dressing room without that reverance for him will be a fresh challenge, will he be a Mourinho or an AVB?

The Eto'o points interesting, but I'd wager that 9/10 times Ronaldinho was the chief culprit and Eto'o just a sheep. What is it with those Brazilians and their partying?! But to be fair Pep was brave to kick Ronnie out. I agree the Messi/Villa thing is weird, surely they did talk about it before he moved? There seems to be some real bad blood between the two players aswell, I can't remember who they were playing (maybe you do?) but Villa had a chance to play in Messi, but ended up taking the shot himself and Messi went ape**** at him. I've never seen him react like that before. It wasn't a Ronaldo strop, it was a proper Mariah Carey bat**** crazy strop!

I just look at how Fergie time over time has kept 4 strikers happy, how he made Ronaldo the main man but still kept Rooney onside and wonder could Pep do that? Because nowdays barely anyone else seems to be able to.

I just look at how Fergie time over time has kept 4 strikers happy, how he made Ronaldo the main man but still kept Rooney onside and wonder could Pep do that? Because nowdays barely anyone else seems to be able to.

My problem is that he still seems to deem Giggs worthy of the United first team! He is a legend, no doubt about that. But surely this has to be his last season. Another thing is that United can't really buy until they sell or until Giggs retires as I believe their squad is full.

So, even the great man is wrong at times. Talking of strikers, see how much he likes to play Welbeck over Hernandez, who is IMO the better player!

I presume it's old news to some of you but has anyone else seen Carlos Tevez payslip?

Tevez-payslip.jpg

AFTER tax & whatnot he makes £408,397.

From what it is reported Yaya Toure is the highest paid Manchester City player with Tevez & Aguero following just after. They are probably paying just under £1.4m in wages for 3 players alone, nevermind what Silva, Balotelli, Dzeko, Nasri etc are on.

We all knew City paid the worlds most ridiculous wages, but I had no idea it was on this level of ridiculous.

No, Carlos is the highest paid player in EPL. I asked Duncan Castles (from The National, owned by Sheikh Mansour's brother) and it's in even his contract that he always must be City's highest paid player. Yaya is on 150k p/w without bonuses.

Halilovic is a really good player but City offered 9M and they said no. The boy should spend one week with Real before Christmas but Dinamo wants something around 20M so I'd prefer Deulofeu from Barca.

Last edited:
No, Carlos is the highest paid player in EPL. I asked Duncan Castles (from The National, owned by Sheikh Mansour's brother) and it's in even his contract that he always must be City's highest paid player. Yaya is on 150k p/w without bonuses.

Personally, I don't believe for a second that Yaya Toure is on £250k per week less than Carlos Tevez.

The general conscientious is that Yaya Toure is the highest paid player in the Premiership, so my guessing is that if he isn't, he is certainly one of Manchester City's highest paid player's, he is certainly in the top 3 with Aguero & Tevez. The is no way Yaya Toure is on £150k per week if he is one of Manchester City's highest paid players, £250k less than Tevez & no doubt Aguero isn't too far off Tevez's wage either.

Off the top of my head, the last time I actually read something regarding Toure's wages he was reportedly on around the £14m per year mark basic wage. Which is around £270k per week as basic.. however if Tevez is on £400k a week I personally think he'd be on even more than £270k a week.

Supposedly the likes of Nasri & Silva's wages are more likely to be in the £150k region than Yaya Toure.

I personally think Real Madrid are the team to beat this year, Barcelona of course aren't far behind. Dortmund & Shakhtar could be surprise semi-finalists/finalists depending on the draw as I feel both have looked solid in their groups. Then you've clubs like Bayern, PSG & Manchester United who have yet to hit top gear in the CL & made their groups look routine. Then there's the likes of Arsenal, Juventus & Valencia who will be no pushovers either.

I love the Champions League. :D

It's a great competition. :D

I'm not sold on Real Madrid, they seem to have regressed this season, they are 11 points off Barca in La Liga and there seems to be a rift between Mourinho and some of his key players. Dortmund are the dark horses IMO, they have a wonderful system and some fantastic players but the lack of experience may do for them. Juve and Bayern have the midfield strength and pedigree and are probably the biggest threats to the two Spanish sides, I really can't see Arsenal or United getting close, we are desperately weak in midfield which is vital in Europe and Arsenal lack the firepower.

I know SAF never buys in January, but who are everyones transfer targets this year? I would personally love to see United sell Nani and Macheda, and bring in Victor Wanyama and Stephan El Shaarawy.

Well we need CM's but I don't think the better options will be available in January, but I'd like to see us get Isco if Nani goes and I wouldn't mind the Baines deal happening.....summer targets is a different thing. :twisted:

The Eto'o points interesting, but I'd wager that 9/10 times Ronaldinho was the chief culprit and Eto'o just a sheep. What is it with those Brazilians and their partying?! But to be fair Pep was brave to kick Ronnie out. I agree the Messi/Villa thing is weird, surely they did talk about it before he moved? There seems to be some real bad blood between the two players aswell, I can't remember who they were playing (maybe you do?) but Villa had a chance to play in Messi, but ended up taking the shot himself and Messi went ape**** at him. I've never seen him react like that before. It wasn't a Ronaldo strop, it was a proper Mariah Carey bat**** crazy strop!

So many Brazilians have screwed up their careers with the mardi gra lifestyle, I fear Neymar will be the next. Villa must have known if he'd watched how Ibra struggled due to Messi playing central and he even got stuck there for Spain, so why it suddenly caused a beef I don't know but I think it must go deeper, as for Messi I think his boyish look covers the fact he's a proper little diva that wants his own way all the time.

Fergie has been fortunate a tad with Rooney being the team player he is but he has man managed star forwards better than anyone to this day I agree, even managing to keep two young strikers content while having two older world class forwards, I think this concern is why a lot of teams carry so few true strikers now, I mean most top teams have 2 at most.

i don't think neymar will go the way of robinho. he just needs to get down the gym before he comes to europe. he must weigh about 120 pounds. it would be interesting to see him in spain or england.

Looks like Bayern is Pep´s No.1 choice now. Would be good for Bundesliga.

How the hell does balotelli get away with stamping on Evans less than a foot infringe of the linesman

And ****ing hell as a post rooney scores a Cheeky one.

Now that was a first half I wasn't expecting. Now I just hope united don't just switch off and sit back. Keep up the attack.

the mystery of rooney's club form vs international form continues to baffle. he hasn't had a good game for england in it seems like years.

********, that goal should have stood. That linesman has had a crap game.

Is there some kind of mental block with Valencia, every time he gets to the city box he stops dead and doesn't move

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"