The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - Part 41

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well good thing he isn't managing a top nation.

I like Big Sam, he's an arrogant gob****e but he's underrated and gets results. It'll certainly be interesting.
It's nice to see someone who has passion for this job and has always wanted it. I didn't realise he was arrogant but yeah I think he'll get at least a minimum level of performance out of England.I really just want us to have spirit and be able to go for it and I think he might manage to do that and get us to around the quarter final stage of tournaments.
Allardyce is very good at relegation battles, but the one time he had a "top" club (LOL), he kinda exposed himself as a limited manager with limited ideas.

Well good thing he isn't managing a top nation.

Haha, exactly.

I don't get this, Hodgson was the highest paid manager during the euros so money is not an issue and the job is prestigious and lucrative as well,then why didn't English FA pursue a big name. I heard Klinsmann wanted the job and someone like him would have been an upgrade while Big Sam is not. It's just crazy stuff.

I don't get this, Hodgson was the highest paid manager during the euros so money is not an issue and the job is prestigious and lucrative as well,then why didn't English FA pursue a big name. I heard Klinsmann wanted the job and someone like him would have been an upgrade while Big Sam is not. It's just crazy stuff.

Because the English FA can't see their footballing culture is the problem, it's filled with old farts who think a manager that plays 1970s championship football is going to deliver them a trophy.

I think there is still a level of discomfort among most with employing a non-English manager in what are tournaments based on countries/national pride. It's different for nations where they have no managers at a high level of the game at all. If there were any English managers near the level of the top foreign equivalents they would be taken in an instant so I think here it is the English factor giving one of the best of a mediocre bunch the needed boost.

Big Sam was a great fit for what Sunderland needed, making him England manager speaks of the complete lack of options we have with a passport that makes the suits happy.

Liverpool have signed Wijnaldum from Newcastle.

Steve Bruce has left Hull City, not great starts to the season for Sunderland and Hull. Possibly Steve to be involved in the new England set up?

Good luck to Big Sam, at least we will have plenty of that pride and passion a lot of people say we need, will that be enough though.............we shall see. At least our qualifying group should be a walk in the park.

Big Sam will instill some fighting mentality to the squad which has been severely lacking for a good many number of years. The talent is there and now the players only need some conviction to move in the right direction but even then England had to rebuild and start the transition they are hoping for under a manager with a modern thought process and a dynamic approach. England are not thinking big or thinking ahead and it may come back to haunt them.

David Moyes is the new Sunderland manager. I think he'll be a good manager for them. And by good I mean securing a new contract and maybe stay clear of relegation battle and finish... 15th?

Ryan Giggs was rumored to be on Hull's list, I'd be darn curious to see what he would do. They'll probably go for someone else.

The timing sucks for England. I like Big Sam. I don't think talent is an issue but he will organize them and instill some discipline. Woy, how many times did we just see him there with this hand over his mouth, sitting, looking lost? Big Sam will make sure he's heard. Realistically, a Quarter Final appearance at the World Cup would be a good WC but Big Sam is a short term solution to a long term problem.

Sams teams always have game plans and are well drilled. Against Iceland the players looked literally lost. There was no game plan.

Sams teams always have game plans and are well drilled. Against Iceland the players looked literally lost. There was no game plan.

Still, we're talking a manager whose biggest merit is to avoid relegation. On the other side you have Spain announcing an even weaker manager choice, and they're two tiers above England if you're looking at quality. I guess most of the big managers don't want to coach an international team, because you have ~10 games per year and the tournaments are only every other year. You have to deal with what you're given, VS a club team where you build what you want.

Not sure why Pogba hasn't been confirmed yet?

The deal is not done I guess, wouldnt be surprised if it rumbles on for a bit yet, reports keep saying its "close" but there is always a summer transfer that goes on for ages. Seen it before with Fabregas/Pedro/Ronaldinho/Sniejdar/Vidal of recent times. Hope it doesnt get added to that list but I wouldnt be surprised either way now.

Still, we're talking a manager whose biggest merit is to avoid relegation. On the other side you have Spain announcing an even weaker manager choice, and they're two tiers above England if you're looking at quality. I guess most of the big managers don't want to coach an international team, because you have ~10 games per year and the tournaments are only every other year. You have to deal with what you're given, VS a club team where you build what you want.

To be fair he's never managed a club with huge financial resources. But what he did with Bolton was pretty much a miracle. Look what happened to them after he left. He did well at West Ham, building a solid foundation. They are now trying to push on to the next level.

I think the bloke is a bit of a nob head. But he's underrated and maybe he is what the England set up need. Time will tell.

The timing sucks for England. I like Big Sam. I don't think talent is an issue but he will organize them and instill some discipline. Woy, how many times did we just see him there with this hand over his mouth, sitting, looking lost? Big Sam will make sure he's heard. Realistically, a Quarter Final appearance at the World Cup would be a good WC but Big Sam is a short term solution to a long term problem.

Agreed with all this. Not sure there is an English manager who is palatable to the FA who can solve the long term problem though. :(

Higuain joins Juve for £75m, possibly one of the most overrated transfers in recent history. Pretty much confirms Pogba is moving.

I remember reading something about that being his buyout clause. If so, can't really see it like other transfers. Means his club didn't want him to leave. If they were legit selling, it would have been half that.

Higuain joins Juve for £75m, possibly one of the most overrated transfers in recent history. Pretty much confirms Pogba is moving.

I remember reading something about that being his buyout clause. If so, can't really see it like other transfers. Means his club didn't want him to leave. If they were legit selling, it would have been half that.
Yes it does seem like a vastly inflated fee so this would make sense. And also yes this should seal the Pogba issue. Without that incoming fee I doubt they would have/could have overpaid for Higuain.

Wow £75m for a 28 year old, makes Pogba look like a cheap deal in that respect. Silly transfer fee's these nowadays, but then its been cray cray for years now I guess and will only increase.

Wow £75m for a 28 year old, makes Pogba look like a cheap deal in that respect. Silly transfer fee's these nowadays, but then its been cray cray for years now I guess and will only increase.

Only after I posted did I find out he was Serie A's leading scorer last season, but yeah it seems a little crazy for Mr. "I need five chances to convert one". Apparently United's hold-up with Pogba is that his unashamedly greedy agent wants £17m for brokering the deal and Juventus want United to pay the full amount over and above his transfer fee.

I could see this taking some time, or even being interrupted by Real Madrid. I'm sure Raiola is only doing this because United aren't Pogba's preferred destination and he knows he's got them over a barrel.

Yes it does seem like a vastly inflated fee so this would make sense. And also yes this should seal the Pogba issue. Without that incoming fee I doubt they would have/could have overpaid for Higuain.

Juve have had a rather active window too so they definitely need to make a lot of money back. They've signed Mehdi Benatia from Bayern and Pjanic from Roma, both of whom weren't cheap. The only remaining answer we need is where Pogba is going.

That Higuain fee is off the walls crazy same with Pogba's potential deal.

Juve buying Higuain is like the Bayern tactic of strengthening while weakening their nearest rival in the process. He's coming off the best season of his career but I think the biggest question mark is whether or not he is a good fit with Dybala who was best with Mandzukic who plays as a pure target man, that isn't Higuain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"