The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - Part 43

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Thread Manager, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]517503[/split]

2. Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]513567[/split]

3. DeadPresident Registered

Is Ibrahimovic doing his best impression of Rooney?

4. the_ultimate_evil CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

Rooney really is just ****ing useless.

5. Rick the Ruler yung carnivore

Match to forget. Haven't seen worse derby in years.

6. BatmanBeyond Shadow On The Run

While I'm glad to see that the tactical naivety from the City match wasn't repeated here and am happy with the point, would it have been too much to ask for Jose to move Rashford centrally and take Ibra off for Lingard, try and hit Liverpool on the break since they were so intent on going for it towards the end?

Who knows, might be that giving Ibra some rest can shake him out of his current slump, I think he's the only player to have played during all of our matches this season so far.

Also, the Pogba 'conundrum' needs to be sorted out soon as well, he was played behind the striker today and was still anonymous I hear. I think some actual clarity and stability with regard to his role would really do wonders.

Having said all that, it's great to see our defense putting in a typical Mourinho performance out there today. Herrera was excellent as well.

Not that it would've mattered, what with Schneiderlin not getting a look in this season. :o

#6 BatmanBeyond, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  7. -VisionsVision- THE GREEN KNIGHT

100%

8. spidey-dude Y.N.W.A

pissed off with that - classic Mourinho at his finest

great save from DeGea, I am so jealous of him every time I see him

9. Hunter Rider Ronin

I thought a draw was a fair result, I was pleased with the way United kept the discipline and shape in a bear pit atmosphere and really took the crowd out of it. I also liked how we pressed them and prevented them from really using their manic high press by getting the ball into midfield via the striker rather than the CB's.

Unlike against City Jose got it spot on tactically and I didn't think Liverpool offered a counterpoint when we nullified their style, they didn't carve us open as they've done other teams, De Gea's 2 world class saves came from a stunning long range strike out of nowhere and a box scramble.

The thing that let us down was our counter attacks, Ibra isn't suited to that for starters and Young and Rashford didn't do well enough when they had the opportunity to run at the Liverpool defense, plus Pogba didn't do as well as hoped transitioning us from defense to attack, but I'd credit that partly to Henderson and Can doing a good job getting about him.

On the plus side Herrera was fantastic, his energy, pressing, tackling, tracking, ball protection and ability to beat the press was vital. I also thought Valencia, Fellaini and Bailly were very good and Rashford and Young did their defensive duties superbly.

#9 Hunter Rider, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  10. BatmanBeyond Shadow On The Run

Couldn't see the match (was following live commentary, though) as I was at work, but I watched the highlights afterwards and my word, was Valencia's last-ditch tackle on Firmino glorious. Think he's stepped up his defensive game immeasurably in the past couple of seasons.

Ibra not being suited to a counter-attacking side is why I'd like to see us vary things in situations/games like this. Rashford would've been perfect up top at least for a portion of last night's game, with Lingard being able to do a job defensively on the right.

Herrera on current form is United captain material. Good to see Bailly going from strength to strength as well, he's been our signing of the summer so far.

11. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

5 points separating the top 7. Hope it stays like that as long as possible.

12. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

The only thing that surprised me is that it took Jose until about the 60th minute to retreat into his own box.

It was a fair result and I've no real problem with how he set up, as it was up to us to carve them open, and we would have had Firmino shown a better touch when he went through.

But how can a Manchester United fan, especially the ones I know on here, say they were happy seeing Rashford in the trenches with over 20 minutes to go? You can call it a tactical masterclass if you wish, but surely you expect more from your team?

I'm actually very happy with the point as United at one time made a habit of beating us 1-0 at Anfield, I just find it hard to reconcile what United fans would have been saying 5 years ago about those tactics and what they are saying now.

13. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

5 years ago the balance of power was very different. It's not a bad result for Utd at this moment, especially considering Liverpool's recent form. Unambitious certainly, but I can see Utd fans being fine with the result at least with the hope of improvements to come on the attacking side. They just really need to get through this and the Chelsea game unscathed and then they can start building for the rest of the season.

14. Hunter Rider Ronin

I think you have to take a few things into account, we have had 3 dreadful seasons with constant managerial and personnel shifts so this team is just bedding in, we aren't in any kind of form where as you were and a loss would have cut us adrift from the top 4, the last 2 teams that went heads up with you got beaten due to that pressing game so it was just common sense to stop it being implemented. We played much more attacking against City and got overran, losing the game in the first half.

Fergie played on the counter at Anfield and The Emirates plenty of times, the problem this time was we didn't have the players to counter attack, our striker is 35 and has no pace, and our 2 best counter players are both injured, we were never gonna get a lot creatively out of Young and Rashford is still developing, he hasn't learned how to pace himself so the reason he was deeper at that point was he was worn out, it's no coincidence he got cramp not long after that and was taken off.

If this time next year we aren't playing a more cohesive brand of football then I'll be concerned, but Jose has only had 2 months with this team due to the International breaks, I'm willing to have patience before complaining, just as I gave LvG the full first season before I started going in on him.

15. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

Had 0-0 all over it. Both teams unwilling to lose. Shame.

16. Hunter Rider Ronin

Valencia's tackle was beautifully timed and I agree that he's improved defensively. Given his age I think we need proper RB competition for him, but he's started the season well.

Jose mentioned in his post match interview that he was going to move Rashford central when het got cramp. I hope once Martial and Mkhitaryan are fully fit we'll see Ibra rested for some games as he's not suited for every occassion these days.

Herrera is a real contender to be Captain once Rooney goes, I'd opt for him over Smalling. I've been really pleased at how easily Bailly has adapted to the PL and I agree he's been our standout signing so far.

17. BlackFox Monster Hunter

Damp squib in the end, sounds like a draw was a fair result with neither side doing enough, often happens in these overhyped games. Better result than I thought we would get at least and another tough game ahead at Chelsea next week, this season will not be easy to predict it seems.

18. DeadPresident Registered

I don't think Chelsea are nearly as confident as Liverpool are at the moment so hopefully we can impose ourselves on the game more significantly there. Their defensive solidity has been questionable so far this season, and I'm sure Ibra will feel like he's got the beating of their CBs. I think United can take a lot of confidence from the Liverpool fixture, apart from two efforts that challenged DDG a bit the defense was remarkably solid, for the first time in a long time.

19. BatmanBeyond Shadow On The Run

Fair points regarding Chelsea, however Conte has them believing again, which is immeasurably important. He's kind of started doing what he managed with the limited Italy squad at the Euros, having them playing beyond their individual limitations, although to be fair, with Italy he didn't have potential world-beaters like Hazard or Costa.

Really rate him as a manager and I admire his fiery attitude on the touchline, barking orders like a madman. :woot: Will be another intriguing tactical contest, for sure, the PL really is spoiled in terms of quality managers this season.

I know Jose was interested in the Monaco rb Fabinho this summer, who can also play dm if I recall correctly, but I'm kind of surprised he doesn't seem to rate Darmian, as his initial form under LvG last season had me thinking he was the typical Mourinho player.

Yeah, Jose needs to manage Ibra's game time if we're to get the best out of him on a consistent basis. I really hope Micky Ryan gets some game time soon too, was really pleased when we signed him this summer, but it hasn't worked out for him so far.

If Herrera keeps going the way he has been recently, then I'd make him captain next summer, as Smalling is not really what I would call a leader.

#19 BatmanBeyond, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  20. BlackFox Monster Hunter

Costa will be a different kettle of fish for our defense to deal with and he is on form as well, its another hard one to call at the moment.

21. DeadPresident Registered

Yeah Conte is good, for sure. I think Chelsea haven't quite recovered in terms of confidence from their slump under Mourinho, they seem to have bizarre lapses of concentration and play very average football. It's picked up of late, unfortunately for us, but they still don't seem to be the smooth machine they were two seasons ago.

And I suspect it's the individuals like Hazard, Costa and Willian that have managed to drag them through, they're struggling as a team but have high class individuals coming up with the goods.

Fair point, yeah. Costa has picked up of late, and United's defense haven't had to deal with quite as feisty a #9 yet, so he'll be a challenge. That being said I think Bailly is exactly the foil for Costa, and Smalling handled him rather well in their recent meetings. I'm a little more concerned about Hazard, his ball carrying has been great again in the last few games I saw of him, Valencia (or Fosu-Mensah) will to have to have an excellent performance to manage him.

22. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

If City have a mid season stutter suddenly the league would become very hard to predict!

23. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Leicester are made for the CL lol. 3rd straight win 1-0 against FC Copenhagen. Spurs drew 0-0 at Leverkusen.

24. Rick the Ruler yung carnivore

Leicester still dominates, Gigi saves penalties, Dinamo and Legia are again proving that there are no worse teams to ever enter UCL.

Classic Champions League evening.

25. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

Leicester prioritising the CL is a strange one. Maybe it's due tot he fact that continental teams haven't figured them out yet - which appears to be the case in the PL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.