The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - Part 43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bravo was sent off in the 53rd minute, that's a while.

City's defense were all over the place and gave Barcelona all the space they needed to exploit chances. Having several meters between your CBs and their full backs isn't the way to make it difficult for Messi, Neymar or Suarez to score.

United line up against Fenerbahce:

DDG, Darmian, Smalling, Bailly, Shaw, Carrick, Pogba, Mata, Rooney, Lingard, Martial.

Subs: Romero, Fosu-Mensah, Rojo, Fellaini, Memphis, Ibra, Rashford.

Rooney start bad, Carrick start good, I guess. Hopefully a little more verve in this game than the one on Monday. I do have a feeling the lack of Daley Blind might be a little problematic, but hopefully Carrick can make up for it.

It would appear he's been resurrected. When Mourinho first signed I thought Darmian and Schneiderlin would be two players that would have resurgences under his management, they seemed exactly like Mourinho players, but I guess I was wrong. Unfortunately I can see both of them leave soon, neither have gotten game time and they're still young.

They'll both probably try and force moves in Jan or the summer, I can't see them sticking around =/

Southampton playing Inter Milan today. Nice game for them. 0-0 after 60 mins.

Inter took the lead now 1-0.

Darmian playing damn well so far, but United's attack are failing dismally in the final third.

Two penalties to United in 3 minutes, one converted by Pogba and Martial each.

Two goals for Pogba now at least that might help the confidence a bit.

Pogba with a nice curler from the edge of the box, 3-0 at half time.

Europa League games usually are really disappointing, but I enjoy them if it's a home game for United and they thrash the opposition. Less so when it's some ****hole stadium in the Ukraine with pebbles and farm animals on the pitch.

Nice to see United coasting, Pogba getting two and Martial one as well. :up:

I can see why the Europa League has a bad rep, but I think it's unduly harsh and this is of course not helped by that ruling that the winner of it automatically gets a CL spot.

In any case, it's a trophy and I think a team like United, which has lost some of its previous luster and is attempting to reinstill a winning mentality into a new squad could do worse than go for the Europa, even when there are other priorities.

Getting into the habit of winning trophies, no matter their reputation, is a good way of getting back into the groove, as it were. Whether or not winning these 'smaller' prizes is a stepping stone on the way to winning bigger prizes is up to the club, the players and the manager. Sevilla being a case in point.

For a lot of the United squad, like Bailly, Martial, Shaw, Darmian, Fosu-Mensah, etc they've never really won a massive trophy before so a EL winners medal would do quite a lot to establish a winning mentality, yeah.

They got the FA Cup last year, which has a lot of history and tradition, but to do it on the continent would also be great.

Lovely by Utd so far. Happy to see Pogba get 2.

Jesse Lingard with an arrow into the bottom corner from edge of the box too, 4-0. This is exactly what the team need before Chelsea.

Wow did not expect this.

For a lot of the United squad, like Bailly, Martial, Shaw, Darmian, Fosu-Mensah, etc they've never really won a massive trophy before so a EL winners medal would do quite a lot to establish a winning mentality, yeah.

They got the FA Cup last year, which has a lot of history and tradition, but to do it on the continent would also be great.

Precisely, yes. FA Cup was a good starting point for this group and I'm glad and grateful to LvG for leaving us with that.

Nice to see United not taking their foot off the gas second half too. Would like to see some of the other fringe players like Memphis and Fosu-Mensah coming on sooner or later.

While true, he is going to be putting in a shift on Sunday. He tired against Liverpool, he'd tire against Chelsea as well.

Yeah it isn't a very practical choice, ideally Fellaini should come in and just see the game out.

Pleasing enough display & result tonight, solid enough displays by those coming back into the side as well. It's especially nice as we've effectively fully rotated our squad & still comfortably won. Nice touch from Rooney letting Martial & Pogba ease some of the pressure off their high price tags off their shoulders by taking those penalty kicks. He could have just hit those 2 penalties himself & eased the pressure on his own shoulders regarding his own form. Nice touch & a good moment of leadership he displayed in doing so. Overall good performance from everyone involved, it was nice to rest so many players for Chelsea & still get a good result/performance.

Nice to see RvP grab a goal & good to see him getting some love from the crowd. Shame he arrived with us when he did, right player, wrong moment. Would have loved to have had him a few seasons sooner to get more than 1 season with Ferguson as he seemed to have a far better idea of how to get the best out of him than Moyes or van Gaal.

It was good to see such a confident and efficient performance from the team tonight and to see them finishing the job off comfortably.

Pogba, Mata and Lingard were all very good and I thought Martial showed the kind of workrate that he'll need to marry to his attacking skill for Jose. It was good to see Carrick get a game and while his passing is still superb as he showed tonight, there were a few occassions where it was clear just how immobile and slow to get moving he is these days and why Jose is not using him in the PL.

I was also pleased to see Timbo get 15 minutes as a CM, it's where he wants to play and I don't see him ever being a top RB, but he has the tools to be a powerhouse DM.

The game was a good confidence builder that we can hopefully take into the Chelsea game and get 3 points.

I know Jose was interested in the Monaco rb Fabinho this summer, who can also play dm if I recall correctly, but I'm kind of surprised he doesn't seem to rate Darmian, as his initial form under LvG last season had me thinking he was the typical Mourinho player.

Yeah, Jose needs to manage Ibra's game time if we're to get the best out of him on a consistent basis. I really hope Micky Ryan gets some game time soon too, was really pleased when we signed him this summer, but it hasn't worked out for him so far.

If Herrera keeps going the way he has been recently, then I'd make him captain next summer, as Smalling is not really what I would call a leader.

Fabinho seemed to be on the agenda and Darmian was solid tonight, but I think Jose wants a fast, attacking RB as both our right sided attackers play as inside forwards rather than as wingers, so that overlap attack is important to give the team width, the latest name we are being linked with is Joao Cancelo from Valencia.

I was disappointed that Mkhitaryan didn't play tonight, this seemed the ideal game to give him 90 minutes as Chelsea and the derby next week are not a good fit for a player just coming back from an injury.

Agreed, Smalling is too passive and when you have a passive Captain they have to be inspirational with their perfomances, and while he's a good player he's not that guy. Herrera has the performance and the attitude to be the next Captain.

Jose absolutely needs time but if I compare him to Pep, there was an expectation that the latter would struggle with taking over an aging squad but he's made the transition rather seamlessly.

He has managed to translate his methods easier than expected, but I think after getting outworked and outplayed by Spurs, ceonceding 3 at Celtic and then outsmarting himself in dropping Aguero against Barca and playing without a striker, it's early to judge anyything.

At United morale was rock bottom after LvG, we didn't have a world class in his prime striker who is bedded into the PL as well as 2 world class playmakers that are also bedded into the PL, like City do, Plus Jose had the huge Rooney problem to deal with, so I expected a stuttering start.

Jose has a good squad there but I don't think he's utilising them to full effect. Zlatan may be 35 but on a better day he would have dismantled Stoke on his own. He still has plenty to offer. But if Zlatan is a problem why doesn't he start Rashford for a couple of games?
I think Jose is trying to see who has the mentality required, several we have bought to replace our core lack what it takes to play under the scrutiny that comes with United. Players like Herrera are showing they are up for it and Mata has thrived under Jose who has played him in his natural role, but the wide players have been in and out with injuries and Pogba is still easing his way into the PL and still developing his role in this United team that plays a different system to Juventus, he's having the same adaption period with France.

I rate Rashford mate and I would have given him a couple more starts at #9, but I think Ibra is Jose's on field general and uintil the team is more settled and confident he doesn't want a teenager leading the line as he struggled in the role against Feyenord.

And you don't have to remind me of Fergie's counter attacking. :D The old sod took plenty of 1-0s away from Anfield, but there was always a bit of devastating slickness to his counter. I never once associated Fergie with parking the bus.
Lol! :D no doubt and I think Fergie cultivated that over years and years, we were less cavalier away from home in the big games post Ronaldo and used the counter well, but I think Jose can develop that counter attack as he did at Real, once he has had at least a season with this squad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"