The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - Part 43

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Thread Manager, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Yup, way too early to get carried away. If Chelsea have a few bad game dropping points over Christmas/New Year in the next 2 weeks or so and the table could look very different.

Obviously pleased we have that gap, but a long long way to go (I always feel any team within 10 points of the leaders at Christmas still has a shot).

2. Hunter Rider Ronin

Important win tonight, we didn't play as well as we have been but Pogba and Ibra pulled us through, the team has found a resilience that has been missing since Fergie retired.

Rojo should have been sent off again, I don't know how 2 refs in a row have not shown him red with this 2 footed ********. On the flipside we had a stonewall penalty ignored and a perfectly good goal given offside, shocking display from the officials.

People who don't watch our games and only go off stats haven't seen that Pogba has been playing very well for the last 2 months, he createse so many chances for us, his assists stats are not reflecting this due to the finishing, he was class tonight, as was Ibra whose superb hold-up play was wasted on the 2 slow coaches flanking him and hge took his goal well, we also saw the importance Ibra's experience and leadership is in the last 10 minutes.

De Gea pulled another worldie out of his hat tonight and the other 2 outfield stand-outs were Carrick and Jones, the latter showing a surpising maturity in his ganme since he returned. The rest of the team underperformed, especially Mata and Rooney, Jose has to see the lack of depth in the wide forward roles.

It's crucial, that midfield 3 is so well balanced and we need a player that can play Carrick's role 3 times a week, we are already pushing it trying to rely on him this season at 35.

The way Smalling folded in the Chelsea game seemed to irritate Jose, then this injury situation popped up and at the same time there stories saying Jose had rumbled the mole leaking stuff to the press. With Jones and Rojo delivering for him and Bailly being ouitstanding, I could definitely see Smalling being sold if we buy a new CB.

Stones is a strange case, he's very good on the ball, almost like a #6, but the more he got praised for ith the more his actual defending regressed, his positioning in particular has been poor for 18 months.

Yeah I was sure they'd buy at least one in the summer but instead opted for more attacking players in positions they alreayd had them in. I think City's big focus in January will be the defense but if nessicary Guardiola will wait until the summer to get 2 premium fullbacks that fits his system.

3. DeadPresident Registered

Fair enough, although that defeat happened before Conte switched them to 3 at the back if I'm not mistaken. At the moment Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Chelsea are all in great form when it comes to attack, but only Chelsea have been showing reliable defense. All of the above could change, but just based on what we've seen so far I don't expect Chelsea to stumble too often, although I agree they'll drop points.

Yeah, his actual defensive performances have been terrible lately. Positioning, one v one, his pass back to Bravo against Leicester. He's basically been a worse Daley Blind, at least Blind's awareness and positioning are generally good, in addition to being able to carry the ball out and pass through the lines.

At the moment I don't see much of the promise he showed at Everton where he was at least keeping up with his defensive duties at Everton and didn't luxuriate in carrying the ball out. That said, he's still adapting and Guardiola's system and what it requires of his players is probably tricky to adjust to.

I'm certain they'll go for some quality talent in the summer, Guardiola hasn't historically been active in January. I have a sneaking suspicion they'll make an attempt for Bellerin depending on how Arsenal's season pans out. Bellerin was a Barcelona youth player, I could see the allure of joining Guardiola and City's little Barcelona pantomime as being attractive and Bellerin will understand the requirements of his role.

4. DeadPresident Registered

In transfer related news, quite a few sources seem to believe Schneiderlin is heading towards Everton in January, and that Guardiola wants to bring Koke from Atletico Madrid. Gundogan unfortunately injured knee ligaments in their game last night and will be out for several months, so cover in that #6 area will be necessary at some stage.

Considering how average Atletico's season has been and with Simeone decreasing the time on his contract by two years recently I could see an exodus at the end of this season if they don't do that well.

5. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Passing up on Stones for Bailly isn't looking like the biggest mistake ever so far. I'm sure Stones will settle in and get better/develop to his potential eventually though.

#955 Iceman, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  6. DeadPresident Registered

Yeah, I think he'll develop well enough and become a mainstay in the English team, but I don't think he's ever going to become a John Terry or Rio Ferdinand.

Big game this weekend with Manchester City taking on Arsenal, the winning team will get a big boost by staying within touching distance of Chelsea. With their leaky defenses and incredible attacks it could be a serious goal fest.

7. B [insert witty comment]

I don't think United passed up Stones, I think we were violently outpriced for him. I think any interest we had in him once Mourinho arrived was quickly ended when Everton gave their valuation. When Mourinho was at Chelsea didn't he made like 3 bids? Something like £20m, £25m & £30m? All of which I think were realistic offers for him IMO from Chelsea. What did City end up paying for him? £50m? :loco:

8. DeadPresident Registered

Yeah, City paid twice what he was worth because he's English and Everton were trying to make a statement.

9. B [insert witty comment]

Even getting close to £30m for him was begining to be questionable IMO given were he was at and the amount of improvement he still had to make.

10. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Zlatan is ridiculous. His dribble for the second goal was a thing of beauty. :woot:

11. -VisionsVision- THE GREEN KNIGHT

Ibra!!! The guy is playing great!

12. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Burton 1-2 Newcastle!

13. DeadPresident Registered

Looks like first and second in the Championship have a nice, healthy lead over the other teams around them. How exactly does promotion work, first and second get it automatically or just first?

14. DeadPresident Registered

Encouraging away win for United too, West Brom are a tough side and United appeared to be weathering that storm well. I'm a little worried about how dependent we are on Zlatan and Pogba lately, as well as what's going to happen when Carrick gets rested. Hopefully we get through the next games on Boxing Day and New Years with wins and the others drop points.

All the upcoming games are against teams United "should be beating", the next real test is against Liverpool at Old Trafford on the 15th Jan. If they can get a victory against a legitimate attacking side then we can start talking about a top 4 place.

15. BlackFox Monster Hunter

Good win yesterday at a tough place to get results, showed some metal when it was needed and Ibra and Pog's are great to watch, always feels like something might happen with those two involved they actually put some fear into the opposition. Just a shame we are playing catch up for some way back, but the past few games now feel like we are heading in the right direction and are playing good football to watch which is whats it about at the end of the day.

#965 BlackFox, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  16. BatmanBeyond Shadow On The Run

So looks like Steven Gerrard might actually make a decent pundit. :o

Good to see another win for United yesterday and Zlatan firing on all cylinders (although that challenge on Dawson was ****ing ridiculous). Nice to hear about Jose instructing the players to give their shirts away to the away following (see what I did there? :cwink:) as well.

The assist from Lingard for Zlatan's first was absolute quality too.

#966 BatmanBeyond, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  17. DeadPresident Registered

Arsenal 1-0 up against City on 5 minutes, Sanchez to Walcott.

18. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I don't like the throwing shirts and medals into the crowd thing. When those things can go for thousands on ebay how surprising is it really when some unemployed guy with a family elbows a kid in the head to get to it. Why not donate them in a fairer way like a randomly selected ticket rather than a physical contest to muscle your way towards it. Or find a deserving fan rather than it ending up in some hooligan's hands.

19. DeadPresident Registered

City engineering a good comeback, 2-1 up 74 minutes in.

20. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Arsenal looked like a lower level team for so much of that match.

21. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Arsenal back in the mix just for top 4 rather than chasing the title.

22. Hunter Rider Ronin

Really good win yesterday, I like the current trajectory, saw a game out 1-0 at home, then won a game away from home with a late goal, then cruised to a convincing 2-0 in an away game against a team that have been playing well at home, very promising.

Ibra is in monster form right now, the midfield trio is first class, the Jojo partnership continues to surprise and I thought the much maligned Lingard had a decent game yesterday with a great assist, he just needs to sharpen up his finishing, he scores crackers but needs to be clinical with the normal chances.

Pogba is special and the midfield 3 is the axis the team is flourishing around, but I think we can fit in Mata or Mkhi at #10 if he was rested or such and not lose too much if it was only short term, but we definitely lack enough goal threat outside Ibra, and Carrick is irrepelaceable. We really need to get Martial firing, if he starts ripping it up on the left it would be a boost.

So lazy bar Sanchez.

Snapshpt of Ozil at the etihad.

[​IMG]

Never thought of it that way, Pogba actually gave his shirt directly to a young fan in a Wheelchair, but the rest did seem to jus throw them to the fans with their arms outstretched.

23. B [insert witty comment]

Good result for City, the more the game went on the more you just could tell they were going to get a goal or two. Arsenal were uncharacteristically giving them the ball back far too cheaply when they did get it back.

Not convinced on City or Arsenal, as it stands currently I think Chelsea look comfortably the strongest & most well rounded squad. I would be surprised to see them throw it away.

On another note, what on earth were City doing with those Gundogan shirts at the start? Quite bizzare I personally thought, fair enough he's out injured for the rest of the season, but tribute shirts? Really quite unnecessary IMO.

24. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Top 2 get automatic promotion (although I really want 1st to get the Championship title as that's the only title we're likely to get for a while and it would make it worth having gone down for). Then 3rd to 6th go into the playoffs (3rd vs 6th and 4th vs 5th over 2 legs) with the winners of the first match ups going to the playoff final at Wembley. The winner of that goes through as the 3rd promoted team.

25. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Jojo? Good lord Hunter, not even Vader could get away with that. :o

A switch has seemed to flip. The team looks a lot more solid out there, more confident that they can finish what they start. Pogba and Zlatan are also just ballin' right now and it is seemingly working out just how Jose imagined.

Lingard is a very useful squad player. He can be a Park or O'Shea for us, which is necessary.

:lmao:

They are so spineless. On my football board, a few were blaming Sanchez for Ozil going missing again. I almost died from the laughter I produced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.