The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - Part 44

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pogba does so many great little things on the ball and in terms of movement, I feel like it gets lost. He looked a little leggy tonight, which was understandable. But for the last 2 months he has been playing in 3 different roles in midfield and has bossed matches.

Also I do not understand the complaints about him in the box defensively. Did anyone really expect him to be good at that? Have people not watched him?

I don't expect him to win every bloody header he contests for in the box, but he's clearly got the strength to dominate players, as well as the physique to compete aerially, so yes, I expect him to do much better.

Again, I'm not trying to downplay his contributions to the team, because he's still finding his feet in the league and in a team which itself is still finding its feet. And he's definitely bringing a lot to the team already. But I don't think he should be immune to criticism, especially when it comes to the more 'basic' aspects of the game.

I don't expect him to win every bloody header he contests for in the box, but he's clearly got the strength to dominate players, as well as the physique to compete aerially, so yes, I expect him to do much better.

Again, I'm not trying to downplay his contributions to the team, because he's still finding his feet in the league and in a team which itself is still finding its feet. And he's definitely bringing a lot to the team already. But I don't think he should be immune to criticism, especially when it comes to the more 'basic' aspects of the game.
He isn't immune to criticism. But I don't think a lot of people realize how good he is when they complain about his price tag. Not you, but the media. He could easily have 15 goals because of his movement and he isn't even playing that far up the pitch most of the time. That isn't his job.

As to him in the box. Just not in his skill set yet. He will have to get better, but it shouldn't be a surprise.

Yeah, I'm not saying I'd want him to stop trying passes and dribbles, just that he needs to time these moments better, improve his decision-making when it comes to going for the spectacular or keeping things simple. But fair enough, that can only come with time.

Think the Herrera comparison is actually pretty apt.

Yeah, his timing and decision making are the only places I can find fault, unfortunately he has a tendency to hold onto the ball a bit too much at times and occasionally chooses a fancier pass than necessary, but I think that's all normal for a player his age and still adjusting to the tempo of the league, in Italy he had all the time in the world, but he's slowly adjusting that aspect.

If he's still doing this stuff at 25 years old he'll deserve to get raked over the coals, but I think by the end of this season he'll have made good progress and I think next season we'll see him far more comfortable. The whole issue around his price tag will have blown over and he'll have less scrutiny on his performances.

Pogba does so many great little things on the ball and in terms of movement, I feel like it gets lost. He looked a little leggy tonight, which was understandable. But for the last 2 months he has been playing in 3 different roles in midfield and has bossed matches.

Also I do not understand the complaints about him in the box defensively. Did anyone really expect him to be good at that? Have people not watched him?

A lot of his contributions are quite subtle, the way he protects possession and slows things down to let the back 4 reorganize, how he carries the ball out from midfield, he starts a lot of attacks by releasing a wide player or forward smartly. He's been doing great this season, he's hit the post like 9 times already too, he could be close to Zlatan in terms of goals. I think a lot of people feel he should be better defensively because of his build, but as a CM he doesn't need to be amazing at it, it's not his responsibility.

Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Keane, Xavi, Pirlo, Xabi Alonso, etc were probably all really horrible at that part of the game at 23, I'm sure he'll adjust. Pogba's deficits usually come out when he's playing as a 6 in a double pivot, it highlights how much we need a proper CDM in the summer, because it means Pogba doesn't have to worry as much about parts of the game he isn't naturally good at when he's just playing as a standard CM. Despite what it says on his shirt, Pogba isn't a #6.

He isn't immune to criticism. But I don't think a lot of people realize how good he is when they complain about his price tag. Not you, but the media. He could easily have 15 goals because of his movement and he isn't even playing that far up the pitch most of the time. That isn't his job.

As to him in the box. Just not in his skill set yet. He will have to get better, but it shouldn't be a surprise.

I think at this point it's pretty clear the media will keep going on and on about him because, irrespective of his actual performances: 1. He's a United player and United sell papers and 2. The price tag.

I think at this point it's pretty clear the media will keep going on and on about him because, irrespective of his actual performances: 1. He's a United player and United sell papers and 2. The price tag.
That's true. Hopefully those stories involve many trophies for United going forward.

What will help Pogba is a season or two times when he is surrounded by, hopefully, better players and the record price tag is surpassed a couple of times and no longer the main focus. Nobody has created more chances for Zlatan this season, thats his main job. He is not the finished article but he clearly has great potential and has already started to win trophies for us. He scored the goal that got us to today after all.

Southampton were the better team over the 90 minutes, no doubt but I can see how that offside goal got ruled out, when the cross is played Bertrand is well off and the lino sees that before Gabiadini ran from behind Smalling, harsh for them but I don't think it was this horrendous error that Sky sports totally lopsided coverage suggested, Martin Tyler's commentary was so biased today it pissed me off more than how we played.

While we didn't play well, what we did show was the kind of strong mentaltiy that we have lacked since Fergie's days, it was obvious the 3 games we played while they were resting had an effect, but we took our chances clinically and even when they pulled it back to 2-2 we stayed the course and got the winner, a lot of teams would have folded, we certainly would have under our previous 2 managers.

The back 4 were all over the place, Mata was invisible, Lingard got a goal but did very little else and Martial had flashes of quality that aided in the 2nd and 3rd goal, but he wasn't in the game enough with so little support from his LB. Herrera and Pogba were positionally awful in the first half, thankfully Jose brought Carrick on and both improved in the second half with Pogba's power and ability to drive the ball out easing the pressure and Herrera shutting down Romeu while also grabbing an assist on the winner.

What can you say about Ibra? He is the main man and not only with his goals but the way his presence and aura galvanize the team. Whatever happens in the summer, whatever he decides, we have gotten our money's worth from the big man. :bow:

I know it may sound easy to say after the fact but I honestly never doubted the fact that Zlatan would be a success for us. Sure, it may be the fact that I'm a Swede myself and have followed his career, but even before the season started I knew he was gonna put in at least 15 goals and so far he has played a key role both with goals in the league but also scoring crucial goals in Community Shield and last night.

I get that people sometimes worry about how certain players will get used to a new league, but with Zlatan, despite becoming slower over the years and less eager to dribble, his physique has always been one of his big strengths and in PL, if you can win a lot of those 1v1 duels, whether it's headers or just holding off a defender to get the room for a shot, you will have a good chance of putting in those goals.

Yes he does have a good physique for the PL. I didn't expect him to give as much of a **** at this age having already achieved what he's achieved.

Leicester are messing about right now trying to rewrite their little fairytale, 2-0 up against Liverpool.

All they had to do was fire the awful manager. :hehe:

What's going on at Liverpool?

2-0 Leicester, though it is at the King Power.

Ha, I meant what's gone wrong at Liverpool? (to cause this recent slide in form)

I did suggest a few months ago that there might be some risk of late season burnout with them and Klopp but I've missed all their games for about 6 weeks so I don't actually know what has caused the dip.

Ha, I meant what's gone wrong at Liverpool? (to cause this recent slide in form)

I did suggest a few months ago that there might be some risk of late season burnout with them and Klopp but I've missed all their games for about 6 weeks so I don't actually know what has caused the dip.
Sorry. Personally I think it has a lot to do with Klopp not knowing what to do with when plan A no longer works. Add the tiredness of the style and yeah, you are going to see dips like this imo.

This must be so disheartening for Ranieri, wins a league with the players and when things aren't quite as easy as they were last season they sour to his management style and can't perform.

This must be so disheartening for Ranieri, wins a league with the players and when things aren't quite as easy as they were last season they sour to his management style and can't perform.
I was listening to some programs today. Talk that Ranieri would throw out what they learned in training that week on the day of the game this season. Also refused to go back to what worked last year.

If that is true, it is all his fault.

Anyone want to say it wasn't the right decision now?

I was listening to some programs today. Talk that Ranieri would throw out what they learned in training that week on the day of the game this season. Also refused to go back to what worked last year.

If that is true, it is all his fault.

If it's true I agree, but I find it so difficult to believe.

Carragher was right on MNF.
If they had lost, it proves last season was a fluke. If they won (as they did), proves Ranieri lost they players & they had stopped playing for him.
Either way, they don't look good coming out of this.

Well he was the genius that fired their sport's psychologist at the start of the season.

Difficult to judge with no details but that is a rather odd decision, changing almost anything seems a little odd considering last season's success.

Leicester were going down under Ranieri. There's no doubt in my mind about that. I'm not saying sacking him is going to instantly make them stay up, but it gives them a chance at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"