The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great by De Bruyne!

Clear daylight between the Manchester sides and the rest now, United and City on 19 points each and Spurs next closest on 14. The Manchester derbies this season are going to be serious contests, they'll be nailbiters again like they haven't been for a while.

Chelsea should have got a draw at home. Bit of a gap for them now.

Yeah a 6 point gap now is significant, Spurs have leapfrogged them too by a single point. Puts more pressure on Liverpool and Arsenal tomorrow to get results otherwise they'll almost be completely out of it now already.

Palace still have Chelsea next lol.

Geez I don't envy them, they'll probably go into double digit games without a win.

Got to score a goal first before they can win a game! If they happen to play badly after the Chelsea game I think they'll start coming close to breaking some records.

Crystal Palace are very poor but I am pleased with the way we are dispatching these sides, they were our achillies heel last season and now we are racking up good numbers without even getting out of second gear.

Rashford and Young's assists for the first two goals were quality and I thought Mata had a good game while Martial was electric when he came on, and while Lukaku had an off day he bagged another goal..

I thought Matic was looking a bit tired though, he's always had stamina issues, and Valencia is clearly having to play within himself due to his knee.

The season has started much better than I could have possibly imagined, and we've built a platform to make a top 3 season. The squad is 5 players off being among the best in Europe IMO.

Chelsea should have got a draw at home. Bit of a gap for them now.

Chelsea set out way too negative, they invited so much pressure and they couldn't get out once Morata got injured, not bringing Batshuyai on for him was such an odd call by Conte.

Mourinho finally motoring.

Chelsea set out way too negative, they invited so much pressure and they couldn't get out once Morata got injured, not bringing Batshuyai on for him was such an odd call by Conte.

Yeah I thought he was bound to come on after his hat-trick recently. I think Morata going off dampened Chelsea's spirits while boosting City's.

Crystal Palace are very poor but I am pleased with the way we are dispatching these sides, they were our achillies heel last season and now we are racking up good numbers without even getting out of second gear.

Rashford and Young's assists for the first two goals were quality and I thought Mata had a good game while Martial was electric when he came on, and while Lukaku had an off day he bagged another goal..

I thought Matic was looking a bit tired though, he's always had stamina issues, and Valencia is clearly having to play within himself due to his knee.

The season has started much better than I could have possibly imagined, and we've built a platform to make a top 3 season. The squad is 5 players off being among the best in Europe IMO.

I think the travel and midweek game caught up with a few players, Matic and Lukaku particularly. Hopefully Carrick recovers so we can use him in some league cup/FA cup games and in the home leg against Benfica, since they've been terrible.

My big concern is this long international break coming up not crocking some of our players, we're already missing Pogba, it would be a bit of a disaster if another midfielder/key forward picked up a knock.

I think the travel and midweek game caught up with a few players, Matic and Lukaku particularly. Hopefully Carrick recovers so we can use him in some league cup/FA cup games and in the home leg against Benfica, since they've been terrible.

My big concern is this long international break coming up not crocking some of our players, we're already missing Pogba, it would be a bit of a disaster if another midfielder/key forward picked up a knock.

Has Carrick played yet this season?

Pogba needs to get back asap. When he's fully fit and in form again, this team can really go places with him available for selection too. It's impressive that you're still winning games easily without him.

Has Carrick played yet this season?

I think he only played against Burton Albion in the league cup if I'm not mistaken, so he hasn't had much game time at all.

Pogba needs to get back asap. When he's fully fit and in form again, this team can really go places with him available for selection too. It's impressive that you're still winning games easily without him.

Yeah he does, I'm disappointed to hear Mourinho say Pogba's injury is a long-term lay off, it means we might not see him until the Christmas period and there's a lot of football still to play between now and then. Luckily Mkhitaryan seems to be picking up the attacking slack when he's used as a #10 so we're not noticing Pogba's absence too much, but when the midfield contains Fellaini and Matic it becomes glaringly obvious how much Pogba adds.

Yeah I thought he was bound to come on after his hat-trick recently. I think Morata going off dampened Chelsea's spirits while boosting City's.

Yeah, him going off seemed to kill the only gameplan Conte had in place, that was what made the choice not to bring Batshuyai on so odd, the Chelsea gameplan was clearly built on having an out ball over the top of the City press, but he brought on a short winger instead of his back-up #9.

We definitely need to start using Carrick more, he's only had one game so far and Matic will need to rest leaving our midfield needing Carrick as the holder, I also think we could rest Lukaku in some games like the one today and play Rashford as the #9.

Thankfully Herrera, Mata and Martial are not on International duty but the rest are a concern, hopefully Martinez doesn't use Lukaku since Belgium have already qualified, but Bailly, Matic and Mkhi could have a lot of travel.

Another good win today but against utter dross again in Palace who I think were somehow worse than CSKA in midweek. Still again at least we are winning these games by clear margins which will make the top 4 a much more achievable target this season and give us a lot more confidence in the big games. At least we dont have to wait too long now for a much sterner test in Liverpool away, they may not have a great defense but will offer a lot more for us to think about at the back, will be a tough one no doubt. Be nice to go into that game at full strength as the team is a little patch work at the moment but international breaks you never bloody know what shape some players will come back in.

City were excellent today and showed why they will be hard to top this season, probably the most dominant 1-0 win you could see and made Chelsea look toothless in their own back yard. Losing Morata early didnt help and I feel Conte compounded the problem by trying to play without a striker which meant they got hemmed into their own half for 60 minutes but City were a class apart and should have got more if not for some dogged Chelsea defense.

Can see Liverpool and Arsenal both winning comfortably tomorrow so the usual crowd will be up and about the top spots going into the break.

I think he only played against Burton Albion in the league cup if I'm not mistaken, so he hasn't had much game time at all.

Is he about to retire you think?

Yeah he does, I'm disappointed to hear Mourinho say Pogba's injury is a long-term lay off, it means we might not see him until the Christmas period and there's a lot of football still to play between now and then. Luckily Mkhitaryan seems to be picking up the attacking slack when he's used as a #10 so we're not noticing Pogba's absence too much, but when the midfield contains Fellaini and Matic it becomes glaringly obvious how much Pogba adds.
Oh damn, that really sucks. It might count in the big games, the top of the table clashes and CL games.

Yeah, him going off seemed to kill the only gameplan Conte had in place, that was what made the choice not to bring Batshuyai on so odd, the Chelsea gameplan was clearly built on having an out ball over the top of the City press, but he brought on a short winger instead of his back-up #9.
Haha, the fatal flaw in the plan.

We definitely need to start using Carrick more, he's only had one game so far and Matic will need to rest leaving our midfield needing Carrick as the holder, I also think we could rest Lukaku in some games like the one today and play Rashford as the #9.
Is he still at the same level? And especially with almost no playing time. If he's going to play a part in the season even as support I think they should start introducing him now more regularly, maybe starting some small games. I can see that helping out Matic when he shows fatigue throughout the season. Herrera should be playing a lot. You have enough bite upfront and often enough of a margin that you can afford to rest Lukaku at some points.

Is he still at the same level? And especially with almost no playing time. If he's going to play a part in the season even as support I think they should start introducing him now more regularly, maybe starting some small games. I can see that helping out Matic when he shows fatigue throughout the season. Herrera should be playing a lot. You have enough bite upfront and often enough of a margin that you can afford to rest Lukaku at some points.

It feels like Carrick was kept on as a precaution more so than as a player Mourinho intends to use much, I mean he made him Captain but he wasn't even in the first few match day squads, I reckon the plan is to buy a younger understudy for Matic next summer when he retires, Jose just wanted him to see us through one more season as we weren't buying 2 CM's in the window. I want to see Herrera play more, especially with his contract running down, we need to get him on a new deal ASAP. Lukaku should definitely get some rests but it seems Jose wont do that until Ibra comes back in January.

It feels like Carrick was kept on as a precaution more so than as a player Mourinho intends to use much, I mean he made him Captain but he wasn't even in the first few match day squads, I reckon the plan is to buy a younger understudy for Matic next summer when he retires, Jose just wanted him to see us through one more season as we weren't buying 2 CM's in the window. I want to see Herrera play more, especially with his contract running down, we need to get him on a new deal ASAP. Lukaku should definitely get some rests but it seems Jose won't do that until Ibra comes back in January.
It kind of sounds like what I'd expect Jose to want from Carrick and how I'd expect him to use him. How long has Herrera got left?

Oh I forgot about Ibra. That's gonna be a nice reinforcement mid-season. Imagine you got Griezmann then too! That could be a serious boost (although I think you said you don't want him any more?).

Solid performance yesterday & as Hunter said, these sorts of games that really have really cost us not just last season (& previously under LvG as well) particularly at home. Good to see that we are not only turning those draws/defeats into wins, but also dispatching of the teams efficiently. If we can keep it up we should be in the mix come the run in. It's good to see Martial/Lukaku/Rashford all really click & find a good understanding which is something I felt would happen when we signed Lukaku, his mere presence demands attention & in turn it's creating more space for Rashford & Martial. I'd like to see how or if all 3 could work together if they all start a game.

Only other game I saw was the Chelsea/City game. Chelsea were quite lethargic, which is understandable given that not only did they have 1 day's less rest than City but they also had a far more grueling away game mid-week in the CL against one of the competitions strongest & toughest teams, whereas City had a comfortable home game. That compiled with Morata going off injured after only 35 mins & Conte bringing on I believe it was Willian & putting Hazard up top.. no idea why he would do that when he'd a striker on the bench. City played well though, passed them off the park & got a very important win. David Silva is just a magician, if you're team has runners & people that can find a yard of space, David Silva can find you with a pass.

Chelsea were runaway leaders & winners last year, but that was without European football, they'll really need to rotate their squad better to make sure they are sharp enough to compete on all fronts.

Yeah, ideally Carrick can be used in all cup games and CL group stage matches from here on out so we can spare Matic for the Christmas fixture period where things go quite crazy.

Thankfully Herrera, Mata and Martial are not on International duty but the rest are a concern, hopefully Martinez doesn't use Lukaku since Belgium have already qualified, but Bailly, Matic and Mkhi could have a lot of travel.

Ah okay that does help, yeah. Bailly, Matic and Mkhitaryan are integral pieces, though, so hopefully if we can get them back for the Liverpool game safe and sound we should be in good shape.

Is he about to retire you think?

I think he'll either retire or maybe move to a smaller club and play a bit part there, he's probably still capable of doing that.

Oh damn, that really sucks. It might count in the big games, the top of the table clashes and CL games.

Yeah, he would definitely be able to swing a game against the likes of Liverpool, City or Chelsea, so we'll miss him. But to be fair even the old -Fellaini-Carrick-Herrera midfield under LvG managed to stifle the big teams, so we should manage with Herrera and Matic as the two pivots.

How do you feel about the Liverpool match this afternoon Ice? I'm thinking it might be a good contest, I'm interested to see how the team's confidence might help them put in a good show against decent opposition.

Arsenal 2 up against Brighton.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"