The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 50

Discussion in 'Sports' started by AVEITWITHJAMON, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

We were dreadful, got exactly what we deserved, nothing.

2. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

He's about as washed up as it gets, the way he's protected in the media is pathetic, I doubt he's good enough for the MLS at this point.

Mourino used him a lot last season and he won our POTY at the end of season awards, he's name checked him a couple of times as having a great team ethic and attitude, I think he'll play most of the big games when we go 4-3-3, but in the smaller games he should be featuring right now with Pogba out.

Griezmann is quality no doubt, and he'd improve us no question, I'm just wondering for the money we are going to be paying whether he's the ideal player to maintain the balance in the front 4.

I've watched you twice now and the team looks well organized with some decent options in most positions, the thing I think Benitez will try for in January is a quality striker, it's the garing weakness in the side.

From a cynical perspective that is also a huge incentive to buy Pulisic, he has the potential to be the first world class attacker in US football history, the marketing potential for him is off the charts.

Matic has performed well beyond what I was expecting, Mourinho said it's the best form of his career and I'd have to agree, it's certainly the best he's been in the PL.

His use of the ball is the big bonus, he wasn't doing that as much last season and maybe that was due to how much Chelsea played on the counter, but he's been given the controller role in this United team and has been excelling at it.

I think with TFM there is still uncertainity as to what his best position is and unfortunately Pereira went on loan against the managers wishes. I'd like to see Tuanzebe get some games as a DM, I liked what we saw of him in that role in the handful of games at the end of last season.

3. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

[​IMG]

I hope not.

4. DeadPresident

DeadPresident Well-Known Member

I hope we stay far the **** away from Ozil, pretty sure that's the tabloids adlibbing.

5. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Are these for midseason?

6. Iceman

Good to hear.

With that release clause (I believe around 100m) that was mentioned earlier in the thread he would be priced reasonably for a top player in this new inflated transfer reality since this summer I reckon (if that story was accurate).

Somone to put away a chance in those tight games could be worth a fair number of points over a season so it would be worth overspending in this one area (and moving Mitrovic on at the same time).

7. -VisionsVision-

-VisionsVision- THE MANDALORIAN

No way Ozil comes to United.

8. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

No, they are both free in the summer.

It's crazy that we are now talking about £87M as a good price lol, but you're right, after PSG's cancerous activities that is the reality of the market.

I thought Benitez might go for Llorente from Swansea in the summer as he's gone to Spurs as just a back-up. I could see him trying for Gameiro or Alcacer in January, both are likely for sale.

9. DeadPresident

The potential Catalan independence could mean Catalan clubs (Barcelona, Espanyol and Girona) would need to elect whether or not to stay in La Liga or attempt membership in another league. I doubt any will leave but it opens up an interesing conversation for them.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  10. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Ozil has a good chance of going to United. Jose knows him and he can do the Mata thing better then Mata.

11. BlackFox

BlackFox Red devil

Yep agreed Darth, Jose likes him and so does Ronaldo, so I think between them they know a good player. Ozil is a quality player when in a good team, when things go bad he downs tools but thats not unique to him, modern footballers all over do that.

The only stumbling block is whether Arsenal would sell to us, they seem happy to strengthen City or anyone else but the RVP thing, because it worked out for us, seems to have left them with a bitter taste and wont do it now.

12. Iceman

Morata is out for more than a month (4-8 weeks). That could dampen Chelsea's push.

13. DarthSkywalker

If they don't sell him to us in Jan, we will just get him for free in the summer. That is if we really are in for him.

14. Iceman

Yeah, I thought this might be a way of Arsenal trying to get something rather than nothing. Although it would destabilise them midseason I uess.

I don't think the guys they bought were necessarily al that overpriced, just that noone should really be able to afford to pay the full price for them when FFP exists without selling, and certainly not committing to both at the same time. There were quite a few transfers or rumoured transfers of lesser players before those ones that had already started inflating things massively for me. But yeah PSG are kind of taking the legitimacy of this system down with them.

Whoever he reckons fits the bill. I really hope we do well this season and that he gets the guy he wants as I want him to be happy after managing us in the Championship so he hangs around a fair while.

15. BlackFox

BlackFox Red devil

Yeah Arsenal's insane contract policy means they might not have any choice either. Im not 100% but I think Ozil could technically sign a contract for us in Jan and move to us in the summer for free and Arsenal could do nothing about it.

Of course, as you said, this is only if we have interest in him but I dont see it being that far fetched as some do. I can see Jose getting more from him than Wenger can now.

16. DarthSkywalker

He can do that. So can Sanchez. Arsenal are idiots.

17. DeadPresident

That second bit is the only way I see it working, Jose swapping out one luxury player for a better luxury player. Having Mata and Ozil seems like an absolute waste.

18. BlackFox

BlackFox Red devil

Ozil would be a heck of an option to have, as well as Mata and Mkhy. Mkhy is the most mobile of the lot and can take on players but Ozil can pick a pass better than any of them, if Jose can get him motivated again the thought of Ozil linking with Pogba, Lukaku and potentially Griezmann next season would be mind blowing. Add on top he would be free and its a no-brainer, if he continues to show a lack of interest or just doesnt work out your not taking a huge gamble.

19. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

The difference is Mata plays his heart out, he's slow so sometimes it goes unnoticed but you never fail to see him at least trying to get back and press in midfield when we lose the ball, Ozil often just checks out of games if things aren't going the team's way, to me replacing Mata with Ozil is just a sideways move that wouldn't upgrade the attack much, and it could lower team morale as Mata is very well liked and respected at United.

We'd still have to pay him a signing on bonus and obscene wages on a 4 year contract, and if we do we minimize our chances of getting one of the elite young talents in Europe who are hungry and ready to compete with their best ahead, where as Ozil's best is behind him.

20. Iceman

What other league could they join?

21. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

I could see Arsenal doing business in January if they can sell them out of the PL, for instance there's rumours of a Sanchez/Draxler swap deal with PSG and Inter willing to pay a fee for Ozil in January, I think Arsenal would be open to those 2 deals.

I think Neymar was very overpriced, there's no way he's worth over twice as much as the previous record, and as highly as I rate Mbappe £155M for an 18 year old with one senior season under his belt is crazy, they've poisoned the waters as Barca found out when they had to pay the stupid sum of £130M for a kid that Dortmund paid €15M for just a year earlier, PSG's actions have given license for daylight robbery.

He seems to have a good relationship with the crowd so if he's given the financial support to keep progressing the team then I think he'll stay, your biggest worry might be if Liverpool sack Klopp.

22. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

Hey Ice, what do you make of this rumoured Amanda Staveley takeover of your club?

23. Iceman

It sounds very interesting if all the Middle Eastern links are legit with nothing dodgy under the surface. The takeover also has a key advantage in that it doesn't feature Mike Ashley!

24. Iceman

Common sense would say they have to be interested but common sense left that place a long time ago. Would be funny if they both went to Utd for free at the end of the season lol. Pretty much worst possible outcome for them.

I mean everyone was way overpriced this window and these transfers didn't happen or at least weren't talked about much till the inflation of this window was already established with crap players (who would have been £10-12m) being talked about in terms of £30m fees and the likes of Lukaku and Morata (who have delivered the goods since so far) going for near world record levels despite not being players of that calibre (even now). With that backdrop a true contender for a future world player of the year at the same age who can also bring mass marketing potential for the buying club is worth a lot more to me. A guy who has already achieved major and consistent success with club and country against Lukaku who has struggled with Belgium and Morata who has struggled to hold down a first team place. Mbappe's fee is all to do with his age and a gamble based on that. Getting an extra 5 or 6 years out of a guy (almost half a career) would make the price worth it if he performed at a top level all that time.

I think most us feel we owe him one for going down to the Championship with us despite all his experience and then going on to win the title. Plus we know he's one of the best managers we've had (in my time at least) along with Keegan first time and Robson. Really someone we can get behind.

As in he might go back? Actually I've forgotten how Benitez left Liverpool in he first place. In that case I wish Liverpool all the best this season ;)

25. Iceman

England drawing with Slovenia and looking like they're about to go through despite being poor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.