The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the thing though, a floating playmaker isn't really a wide role given that the player basically goes where the ball & space takes them which is anywhere really, usually into the same sort of areas as a No. 10. Even though he may have been down on the team sheet as being a RW, in reality he probably spent about as much time there as he did centrally. Very similar story with Mkhi at Dortmund as the trio of Mkhitaryan, Kagawa & Reus playing behind Aubameyang frequently were deployed in different positions & often changed/alternated within games. I think even for Dortmund he was definitely a lot more of a playmaking 10 than a wide player.

Lingard as a 10 is where he has shone this year, but he is competent at playing on the flank for the simple fact that he'll run with & without the ball both inside & outside. I can't speak on Martial's games for Monaco because I only ever watch Ligue 1 highlights which used to be on Eurosport, now on BT/ESPN I believe & he was never a player that I can recall vividly sticking out at the time. I do know however he's spoken a couple of times stating he's a striker, he prefers to play through the middle, but is content to play out wide to aid both club & country when asked. I do think though, that competent fullbacks giving him support though could make it a Rooney type situation with Martial in the sense that LW (or even RW) might not be his ideal position, but he can get the job done.

When I think of a wide player/role, I think of a normal winger or an inside winger/forward type player. While I do feel there is a place for wide roaming playmakers, for that to work you really need to have a very complete wingback to fill the hole on that flank.

I agree with this statement 99.9%, it was a problem that existed when LvG was in charge as well, that when a team played ultra defensive against us, we had no answers as to how to break the them down.

I think the most glaringly obvious problem is the complete lack of width. Everybody wants to play inside, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford, Mata & even Young all look to cut back inside which when you are playing a team that's ultra defensive, it suits them down to the ground given that they're all so compact & congested in the middle.

No objection to all of those leaving, Felliani, Darmian & Young in particular. Bar maybe Shaw, we still need a LB, but given his age I'd like to see him remain for the time being, even if it's to be a rotation option.. although we would in theory still have Rojo assuming he can get himself fit who's competent at LB.

I'd be completely fine with Sandro & Alderweireld should we be able to nab both of them, can't see Spurs being compliant though. I'm not extensively familiar with Odriozola other than what I'm reading now, would you not fancy Fosu-Mensah coming back as either a starter or as someones deputy at RB? He seems to have had a very positive season on loan at Palace, anytime I watched them & he played he looked like he had a well rounded game for a 20 year old.

Midfield's an odd one as we've been connected with all shapes & sizes, what do you think of that boy from Lazio Milinkovic-Savic? I'd seen his name pop up a few times in connection with United. I've seen a him on the Serie A highlights & I think he looks quite well rounded & promising should we actually be interested. Not to mention he looks like Mourinho's wet dream & blueprint for a CM ie he's a big physical lad, but he seems good with his feet & quite agile for his size from what I've seen.

We need a RW this summer even if we have the ideal summer & get a top quality RB as well, at this juncture I am not against Willian, Mahrez or whoever as long as they can competently play RW. Also don't mind the look of that Brazilian Malcom from Bordeaux that United, Arsenal & Spurs were all connected with in January, looks like a real live wire on the ball.

We are about to sign Fred and we are interested in another lump to add to the attack, either Maduzkic from Juve or Autnautovic from West Ham.......I give up mate, until Moruinho goes it's just like pissing into the wind, a waste of time.

Yeah the transfers we're being linked with so far are exceptionally underwhelming.

Pochettino just signed a new deal with spurs.

Yeah the transfers we're being linked with so far are exceptionally underwhelming.
Yeah, I'm feeling kind of chilled after this morning, I've been pissed off for weeks, maybe even months to the point I just don't have any love for football right now. So after the Fred news I decided to simply step away, I'm going to watch the World Cup and then give football a break for a season, or until Mourinho is gone, it's better than this constant feeling of anger.

Pochettino just signed a new deal with spurs.
Congrats mate, £42M over 5 years, pretty good business.

Yeah, I'm feeling kind of chilled after this morning, I've been pissed off for weeks, maybe even months to the point I just don't have any love for football right now. So after the Fred news I decided to simply step away, I'm going to watch the World Cup and then give football a break for a season, or until Mourinho is gone, it's better than this constant feeling of anger.

Congrats mate, £42M over 5 years, pretty good business.

His talks with lewis and levy about the ambitions of the club must have went well. Hopefully should be a good summer.

I was doing that for years. When the guy at the top stinks (Ashley) it's hard to want your team to do well as he ends up staying for another decade. Much better for your health to try and see the good when it comes and ignore the rest.

Tifo Football have some excellent content on tactics and individual players and they did a video on Milinkovic-Savic a while ago. To me, he's pretty much in the same vein as Pogba, so not sure he's really what we need in midfield, but perhaps lessening the pressure on the former is not a bad idea, all things considered.

We've also apparently started discussions for Alderweireld, so hopefully we get that sorted quickly. I also hope Mourinho gets his head out of his arse with regard to Bailly, I honestly don't understand why he wasn't involved more during the closing stages of our season.

Cheers, I think I've seen some of their videos before but not that particular one. He looks in a very similar vein to Pogba in terms of their attributes/strengths, I concur on that. Both of them could play in the same midfield, they are both near complete midfielders IMO & having 2 wouldn't hurt. The only thing that's worrying is that if we did sign him, we might not be signing him to play with Pogba & Matic/Herrera but more to replace him. I want to see Pogba succeed, but he needs to work on his consistency to really take him to the next level, people say he isn't what Mourinho asks of him & I think that's BS, with the attributes Pogba has he should be capable of playing almost every type of CM role available IMO.

I don't understand why he didn't play the FA Cup final, I do know he's had a bad season with varying niggling injuries though so that might explain why he wasn't involved more in the run in. I cannot see why he would have a problem with Bailly unless it's something off the field, because on it he's our most complete defender & has hardly put a foot wrong. We need another CB, preferably one good with the ball at his feet.

We are about to sign Fred and we are interested in another lump to add to the attack, either Maduzkic from Juve or Autnautovic from West Ham.......I give up mate, until Moruinho goes it's just like pissing into the wind, a waste of time.

Deep breaths mate, deep breaths. :D

I don't mind Fred personally should it come off, do you not like him? Seen him play several times for Shakhtar & he looks like a very well rounded CM/DM capable of filling a number number of roles on that position. Quite athletic & energetic as well which I like.

Mandzukic & Autnautovic on the other hand, I mean this is the first time I've heard either of their names in connection with us but neither exactly fills me with any sort of glee as they're basically target men. Perhaps a little unfair to Mandzukic who's a little better than just a lump of a target man. I would surmise that if the rumours are accurate, neither are being signed to starter & more as basically an alternative to Lukaku & add some depth at striker. I don't think Mourinho sees Rashford, nor Martial as a lone striker at their current level.

Leeds United agree investment deal with NFL side San Francisco 49ers

Leeds United have announced they have agreed a partnership with an investment entity affiliated with NFL side the San Francisco 49ers.

The deal will see 49ers Enterprises take a share of around 10 per cent in the Championship club, with Andrea Radrizzani remaining as Leeds' majority owner.

Radrizzani described the 49ers as one of the world's biggest sports teams and said funds put into the club will go towards investment in the first team.

His talks with lewis and levy about the ambitions of the club must have went well. Hopefully should be a good summer.
I'm sure you will, you have a quality manager, you're building the team in the right way with young talent and a positive playing style, with a number of shrewd buys.

I was doing that for years. When the guy at the top stinks (Ashley) it's hard to want your team to do well as he ends up staying for another decade. Much better for your health to try and see the good when it comes and ignore the rest.
Exactly mate, you have to take stock at some point and realize it's not fun or healthy anymore, and it's not worth it just for a sport, we are no longer Manchester United anyway so for now it's easy to create some distance.

Deep breaths mate, deep breaths. :D
I'm fine mate. :) I actually feel much better since making my desicion, it was like with WWE, cutting loose something that makes you angry and miserable is liberating.

I don't mind Fred personally should it come off, do you not like him? Seen him play several times for Shakhtar & he looks like a very well rounded CM/DM capable of filling a number number of roles on that position. Quite athletic & energetic as well which I like.
He's a mediocre dog soldier, a Ramires/Bakayoko/Henderson/Milner/Parker type of CM, a Jack of all trades master of none. Right now we have an aging, slow, immobile DM and an erratic AM, adding in someone who's main asset is running about isn't going to help create a proper balanced midfield 3, and if we wanted to buy an energetic box to box there were several better players we could have went for.

Mandzukic & Autnautovic on the other hand, I mean this is the first time I've heard either of their names in connection with us but neither exactly fills me with any sort of glee as they're basically target men. Perhaps a little unfair to Mandzukic who's a little better than just a lump of a target man. I would surmise that if the rumours are accurate, neither are being signed to starter & more as basically an alternative to Lukaku & add some depth at striker. I don't think Mourinho sees Rashford, nor Martial as a lone striker at their current level.
It's not their level that's the issue, it's that Mourinho's only idea for the attack is to hit the ball up to a big striker, Rashford and Martial would thrive in the front 3 of any of the other toip 3 sides where the manager knows how to build a fluid attacking unit with proper attackking patterns. Mandzukic is a big donkey and a ****, perfect for Mourinho to fawn over in place of Fellaini, Arnautovic is a classic mid table PL player that looks good in a nothing side, both are linked to us via Di Marzio, probably the nmost reliable football journo in the game.

Exactly mate, you have to take stock at some point and realize it's not fun or healthy anymore, and it's not worth it just for a sport, we are no longer Manchester United anyway so for now it's easy to create some distance.
I found it entertaining having the team on and wanting them to lose at one point. I can't do that when there's a manager I like or seeing players busting a gut, but if the performance is aimless I would celebrate whichever end the goals went in just imagining that it would make things harder for Ashley. :woot:

There's a lot of interesting things that will happen this summer with a lot of clubs with transfers etc. New managers in the big clubs - Arsenal already has their manager, Chelsea doesn't look to be keeping Conte, rumors about Spurs and Poch leaving, but also all the players that will come and go. You also got the World Cup which - while I personally don't care about - always means you get some breakout players who may be available on the market to shake things up.

City looking to redeem themselves after the CL fiasco and having tons of money will probably flex their muscles with a few big signings. Liverpool with a CL-final behind them (maybe even a win) who already got Keita coming in but rumored to be adding some more strength to the team. Spurs having a slightly disappointing season behind them and the questions of a new stadium - how much will they have for spending? Chelsea looking to come back from a really mediocre season, and aiming for a top3 challenge again. Arsenal with a new manager where anything can happen, but at least an exciting vibe of finally getting Wenger out.

Still, I just can't get excited for Man United at all. I honestly don't care who we buy or who we sell because it wont impact my anticipation or enjoyment for the new season. As long as we got Mourinho and as long as we play the most boring football in the league, the rest just doesn't matter IMO.

Poch apparently signed a new contract at least.

Any of the utd fans heard any rumours of a possible deal of toby for martial?

I found it entertaining having the team on and wanting them to lose at one point. I can't do that when there's a manager I like or seeing players busting a gut, but if the performance is aimless I would celebrate whichever end the goals went in just imagining that it would make things harder for Ashley. :woot:

Lol, I'm just burnt out to the point of not wanting to watch football at all mate, the results don't matter to me one way or the other.

Any of the utd fans heard any rumours of a possible deal of toby for martial?

I've heard it and I am sure our piece of **** manager would jump at the deal, but apparently our mostly clueless board are at least smart enough to want him sold out of the country if Mourinho is insistant on getting rid of him.

Lol, I'm just burnt out to the point of not wanting to watch football at all mate, the results don't matter to me one way or the other.
Giving the World Cup a miss too?

I've heard it and I am sure our piece of **** manager would jump at the deal, but apparently our mostly clueless board are at least smart enough to want him sold out of the country if Mourinho is insistant on getting rid of him.

Would there be many takers though? Psg can't spend, barca and real don't seem interested, not many other foreign clubs could afford him. Byern? Juve?

Giving the World Cup a miss too?
No, that's gonna be my sign-off.

Would there be many takers though? Psg can't spend, barca and real don't seem interested, not many other foreign clubs could afford him. Byern? Juve?
Juventus are keen and we are after their LB Sandro and of course Mourinho wants their big donkey striker, so there might be some sort of deal that is done there.

I'm fine mate. :) I actually feel much better since making my desicion, it was like with WWE, cutting loose something that makes you angry and miserable is liberating.

Hope you're all good mate, I agree though if something is making you so angry to the point that your health/sanity is suffering, then it's probably best to at least tone it back.

I've actually found that since SAF retired I actually think I've had less anger & not more under other managers whatever way that makes sense given the way things have went since it should be the opposite.

He's a mediocre dog soldier, a Ramires/Bakayoko/Henderson/Milner/Parker type of CM, a Jack of all trades master of none. Right now we have an aging, slow, immobile DM and an erratic AM, adding in someone who's main asset is running about isn't going to help create a proper balanced midfield 3, and if we wanted to buy an energetic box to box there were several better players we could have went for.

I actually wrote something very similar in my initial post about him & deleted it cause it was getting too long, he's a midfielder that's good at everything but doesn't excel at anything & compared him to Ramires. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing given how consistent & reliable he was for Chelsea.

Ideally though if I was in charge I'd be trying to get a deep lying playmaker, essentially what Scholes was after his legs went on him, although I'm not opposed to a more athletic signing. Kroos would have been my ideal signing if that donkey van Gaal hadn't nipped that in the bud. :cmad:

It's not their level that's the issue, it's that Mourinho's only idea for the attack is to hit the ball up to a big striker, Rashford and Martial would thrive in the front 3 of any of the other toip 3 sides where the manager knows how to build a fluid attacking unit with proper attackking patterns. Mandzukic is a big donkey and a ****, perfect for Mourinho to fawn over in place of Fellaini, Arnautovic is a classic mid table PL player that looks good in a nothing side, both are linked to us via Di Marzio, probably the nmost reliable football journo in the game.

One of the things that's baffling is that Mandzukic strikes me as a 'plan B' type of player, which is fair enough I don't begrudge anyone having an alternative, Dzeko used to do it superbly for City when Aguero wasn't working.

But, my main issue is if he's a plan B, what's our plan A & where's the signing to get it into action? As you say, while Rashford & Martial are inconsistent, they could & should be thriving. To me we are missing the sort of player that links it all together, that X-Factor if you will. Liverpool's is Salah, City's is Silva (& to a lesser extent De Bruyne), Chelsea's is Hazard etc. My guess is, Mourinho thinks & is banking on Pogba and/or Sanchez being that X-Factor player next season.

Alleged whispers of United being interested in Douglas Costa from Juve which would be a welcome shift from the nonsense we've been linked to so far.

is this fred chap off to the world cup with Brazil?

Alleged whispers of United being interested in Douglas Costa from Juve which would be a welcome shift from the nonsense we've been linked to so far.

Yeah, heard that. Sounds like it might have something more to it.

Douglas Costa is only on loan at Juventus this season & I believe it was announced months ago that Bayern/Juventus already had an agreed fee in place & that he'd join permanently in the summer.

Unless they've reconsidered taking him it's not going to happen.

It's the big one tomorrow night. Heading down the pub with my big bro. C'mon you Reds !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"