The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allegedly for £50m which seems absolutely incredible considering he had a decent season with Watford but doesn't seem worth that money by any stretch.

Everton seem to have been making a lot of 'kids on the internet playing FIFA 18' transfer decisions - players that seem good on paper and then end up being bang average when the chips are down.

Yeah I was thinking who is that. And then I remembered and it was surprising that his value has gone up so much in a short space of time after not doing too much so far. Lovely profit for Watford at least.

One of our best windows, if not THE best, in recent memory. On the flip side, the news about OX's injury has me on a downer as I ****ing love the guy both on the pitch (was really starting to flourish and we missed him like crazy in the CL final) and off the pitch (the respect, care and enthusiasm he shows is a model examplel for any young player, and the fact that he didnt want his team mates to learn of the extent of the injury until after the final as he did not want to put them on a downer, speaks volumes). Get well soon OX!!!!
One of the best I can think of for you guys, quite possibly the best.

Yes it seems much worse than we thought but he has handled it well and best of luck to him. Maybe he'll be back just in time for a boost to the squad in the title run in. ;)

Yeah I was thinking who is that. And then I remembered and it was surprising that his value has gone up so much in a short space of time after not doing too much so far. Lovely profit for Watford at least.

Yeah it's a fantastic return for them if it goes off, probably roughly tripling what they paid for him - and they'll likely reinvest smartly since they seem to have done well in the market since their promotion.

One of the best I can think of for you guys, quite possibly the best.

Yes it seems much worse than we thought but he has handled it well and best of luck to him. Maybe he'll be back just in time for a boost to the squad in the title run in. ;)

Hopefully, Ice. But from how they have been talking, it really does seem like he's out for the season. Hell, given the severity of it all, theres the all too real prospect of him not quite being the player that he was, anymore. :csad: fingers crossed.

Hopefully, Ice. But from how they have been talking, it really does seem like he's out for the season. Hell, given the severity of it all, theres the all too real prospect of him not quite being the player that he was, anymore. :csad: fingers crossed.

Oh right :csad:

That would be really sad. Happened to Shearer and Ronaldo too, but I 'm sure he's in the best hands and will work hard on his rehabilitation in exactly the way the docs tell him to. Best of luck to the lad and hopefully we see him better than ever whenever he is ready for his comeback. Plus I'm sure he'll be motivated by seeing how well Liverpool play this season.

I’m reading reports of us being linked to Vidal.

Do you think we will actually sign him?

Seems unlikely, he is the wrong side of 30 now so there is that appeal to Jose, but jokes asides seems unlikely another midfielder would come in with Matic. Pogba and Fred, and Fellaini and Herrera looking to stay another one seems a bit much with youth players like McCtominay knocking about as well.

At this stage though we seems desperate for anything, can see us ending up with Cahill and Willian at this rate.:csad:

The only players we'll be looking to sign are at left back, right back, center back (if we ship off one of Jones, Smalling, or Lindelof) or maybe a legitimate right wing option.

CMs, strikers or wide forwards are off the table because we're at capacity for those positions.

Hazard to Real sounds like it's getting closer.

Ozil quits Germany, citing racism. Yeah, that feels like an excuse, when that wasn't why people were mad at him about the meeting with Erdogan. At least from what I have seen. They seemed mad that he was calling a different country's murderous dictator his president. Honestly, this feels very much like him trying to "break up" with them before they dumped him, as the chances of him ever playing for Germany again felt slim to none.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/germany/...y-after-political-tensions-over-turkish-roots

Last edited:
Ozil is an embarrassment.

Sorry for late reply, internet's been intermittent all week. :argh:

Martial and Rashford aren't going to get the game time to develop if not only Sanchez, who has done **** all btw, but Willian or Perisic are taking the wide spots game after game, they are at an age where they need to play every week to progress, and they need a manager who supports them through the dips, they aren't getting that because Mourinho is an ******* that isn't interested in progressing young talent, he just wants his ready made guys, and for the record Martial has scored as many goals as Willian in half as many games, so no, neither him or Perisic are an upgrade, we aren't talking Bale or Neymar here.

All of this irrelevant, Mourinho was there when Salah was loaned to Roma and he was happy enough for the buy clause to be in the contract, he didn't value him, just like he didn't value De Bruyne, because he only values workhorse's with steely mentalities, it's why Shaw, Pogba, Martial and Rashford have all had issues with him, he's the antithesis of Fergie, Pep, Klopp and Poch when it comes to being a paternal type of figure to young players that need more than a tactics board at times.

I agree both need playing time but if we actually have aspirations of remaining competitive you cannot afford to run young players out there for 90 minutes every week if they aren't producing at an acceptable level with any sort of consistency regardless of how much potential they might have. If you've a stronger all round side & squad in place with you can afford to do so, we can't as our creativity pretty much rests with them. Martial's more of a striker than Willian & played most of his career as a striker so yeah that doesn't surprise me in the slightest, who scored more last season though? and who created/assisted more? I'm sure both of them have comparable amount of playing time with both of them playing in wide areas.

With or without Jose Mourinho at Chelsea their transfer & loaning policy in regards to younger players has been exactly the same. They sign them, typically they spend a season with the club & if they haven't been able to dislodge established players, thus getting limited game time, they're loaned out to play every week, sometimes having a pre-agreed future fee with the loaning club. The loaning policy at Chelsea is obviously a club policy rather than a manager one, if the player doesn't come back to the club, I would surmise it's because they've been told they'll be a backup/rotation option & don't like it or they've just been told they're not needed by the manager in charge at the time. A simple phone call from Conte to Salah stating that he was in his plans I'm sure would have persuaded him to reject Roma.

Kane has more shots yes, but you're missing the point, Kane is better than Lukaku, this is a fact, but Spurs still don't win anything, just like Everton didn't with Lukaku, and just like Bent and Phillips and Defoe were good PL goal scorers it didn't make any of them good enough to be the #9 for a side that aims to win the PL and the CL, that is the point.

Kane has a lot more shots & you said yourself, big games can come down to one tight chance, while Kane has scored more goals than Lukaku overall the last few years, he has taken significantly more chances to get those goals, thus isn't as clinical in front of goal.. at least last season he wasn't anyway I don't know about previous seasons as I only saw that stat in the paper. I don't disagree Kane's got a more well rounded game, but the gap between the two is not that big. Kane & Lukaku are on completely different levels to Darren Bent & Kevin Phillips, Defoe was a decent goalscorer & if all you wanted your striker to do is put themselves in a position to receive the ball & stick it in the net, he was your man.. but again not on either of their levels IMO.

Price for a full Man Utd replica kit is £183.
I'm sure I read this is more expensive than a Bayern Munich season ticket.

Where did you hear/see this? Even at Old Trafford itself which is usually a lot more expensive than the typical high street sports stores the shirt is around £60, shorts around £30 & the socks are usually like £15.. give or take a few quid. Still extortionate prices mind but nowhere close to £183 even at the ground itself.

The match authentic kit might be that price though, I saw all the match authentic World Cup tops for France, England, Brazil etc in a few places & they were all touching £100 just for the tops alone.

For that piece of ****? I miss Nike a lot. They didn't always nail it, but they always had a bit of elegance to them and that is why they had such nice, clean WC kits this year.

I hate Adidas. I always liken Adidas to Liverpool as well for some reason even though we were sponsored by Adidas in the early 90's before Umbro.

Nike has been my favourite, good quality, simply designed (usually) & they're training gear was nice as well. New Balance is actually doing decent stuff with Liverpool, or at least I like it, keeping it relatively straight forward nice & simple.. if it wasn't for that disgusting Liverpool badge they'd be excellent. :D

Sorry for late reply, internet's been intermittent all week. :argh:
Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully it's sorted out now, you have some trailers to catch up on from this weekend. :D

I agree both need playing time but if we actually have aspirations of remaining competitive you cannot afford to run young players out there for 90 minutes every week if they aren't producing at an acceptable level with any sort of consistency regardless of how much potential they might have. If you've a stronger all round side & squad in place with you can afford to do so, we can't as our creativity pretty much rests with them. Martial's more of a striker than Willian & played most of his career as a striker so yeah that doesn't surprise me in the slightest, who scored more last season though? and who created/assisted more? I'm sure both of them have comparable amount of playing time with both of them playing in wide areas.
Martial has played practically his entire time at United as a left winger, no different to Willian, and he has scored as many goals in his time in the PL as Willian has in twice as many games, that right there tells you everything in terms of their productivity. Last season Willian played 36 PL games and scored 6 goals, Martial played 30 and scored 9, my point being is Willian is not an upgrade regardless, the aspiration thing is fine if you are arguing for Bale or Neymar level attackers, but we are talking a middle of the road winger who offers no more than the players we already have, the only reason the manager wants him is because he's better at tracking back.

With or without Jose Mourinho at Chelsea their transfer & loaning policy in regards to younger players has been exactly the same. They sign them, typically they spend a season with the club & if they haven't been able to dislodge established players, thus getting limited game time, they're loaned out to play every week, sometimes having a pre-agreed future fee with the loaning club. The loaning policy at Chelsea is obviously a club policy rather than a manager one, if the player doesn't come back to the club, I would surmise it's because they've been told they'll be a backup/rotation option & don't like it or they've just been told they're not needed by the manager in charge at the time. A simple phone call from Conte to Salah stating that he was in his plans I'm sure would have persuaded him to reject Roma.
That is for the players they buy in their teens, Salah was 22 when Chelsea bought him under Mourinho's watch, and he was loaned to Roma with a buy clause in the deal under Mourinho, the bottom line is Mourinho didn't value him and didn't even bother to try and develop him or mold him because he's disinterested in attacking players who aren't the finished article, same as he chose Oscar as his #10 over De Bruyne because Oscar grafts more, look at where those 2 are now, it's a running theme with this guy, he wants all the players to be dog soldiers and that is not logical and certainly not in keeping with the values at Man Utd.

Kane has a lot more shots & you said yourself, big games can come down to one tight chance, while Kane has scored more goals than Lukaku overall the last few years, he has taken significantly more chances to get those goals, thus isn't as clinical in front of goal.. at least last season he wasn't anyway I don't know about previous seasons as I only saw that stat in the paper. I don't disagree Kane's got a more well rounded game, but the gap between the two is not that big. Kane & Lukaku are on completely different levels to Darren Bent & Kevin Phillips, Defoe was a decent goalscorer & if all you wanted your striker to do is put themselves in a position to receive the ball & stick it in the net, he was your man.. but again not on either of their levels IMO.
How many shots are had across a season though doesn't tell the story of the crunch moments in big games, it's like Ronaldo and the amount of shots he has, if you tally them vs his goals it could stat-wise diminish his records, same with Messi, but if you look at how many times they come through when the game is tight, that is the key, and I think Kane is superior in that respect, however my main point was that you said Lukaku could get 25 goals a season, and in my view that is neither here nor there in regards to whether he is good enough to be the striker for a team that aims to win the PL and CL, the former is possible if we have a second world class forward, which we don't, but the latter is highly unlikely as his lack of technical quality will be an issue if we got deep into the CL and played the best sides.

Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully it's sorted out now, you have some trailers to catch up on from this weekend. :D

Yeah it's all good I saw them all on my phone, I can still post on here on my phone but it's a bastard for auto corrects & miss spells.

Aquaman looks sweet doesn't it, not sure what to think about Shazam though, Levi reminds me a bit of Vinny Jones's Juggernaut particularly the bit where he changes from Billy to Shazam. :D

Martial has played practically his entire time at United as a left winger, no different to Willian, and he has scored as many goals in his time in the PL as Willian has in twice as many games, that righ there tells you everything in terms of their productivity. Last season Willian played 36 PL games and scored 6 goals, Martial played 30 and scored 9, my point being is Willian is not an upgrade regardless, the aspiration thing is fine if you are arguing for Bale or Neymar level attackers, but we are talking a middle of the road winger who offers no more than the players we already have, the only reason the manager wants him is because he's better at trakcing back.

Willian vs Martial

Both have comparable about of minutes & Willian's productivity is better in some cases significantly across the board, everything other than goals scored.

That is for the players they buy in their teens, Salah was 22 when Chelsea bought him under Mourinho's watch, and he was loaned to Roma with a buy clause in the deal under Mourinho, the bottom line is Mourinho didn't value him and didn't even bother to try and develop him or mold him because he's disinterested in attacking players who aren't the finished article, same as he chose Oscar as his #10 over De Bruyne because Oscar grafts more, look at where those 2 are now, it's a running theme with this guy, he wants all the players to be dog soldiers and that is not logical and certainly not in keeping with the values at Man Utd.

22 is still reasonably young, not all players are excessively early bloomers & Salah certainly wasn't. Don't forget as well with Salah & De Bruyne, they were both young & competing with Lampard, Mata, Willian, Oscar & Schurrle for minutes as well as a few others I'm sure. So unless you really hit the ground running & do something amazing with the minutes you are given, breaking through was never going to be easy & loaning them out was probably the best course of action if they aren't getting the minutes.

Hazard, Schurrle & Oscar were all 20-23 at the time as well, they were all of the same age & the reality was at the time they were obviously ahead of them even though both have surpassed at least Schurrle & Oscar now.

Ozil quits Germany, citing racism. Yeah, that feels like an excuse, when that wasn't why people were mad at him about the meeting with Erdogan. At least from what I have seen. They seemed mad that he was calling a different country's murderous dictator his president. Honestly, this feels very much like him trying to "break up" with them before they dumped him, as the chances of him ever playing for Germany again felt slim to none.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/germany/...y-after-political-tensions-over-turkish-roots

Really cheap copout from him in all honesty, trying to guilt trip liberal Germans into backing him no doubt.

I'm sorry, but if it was an American athlete with North Korean heritage meeting with Kim Jong Un and calling him 'my president' when he was born in the USA there would be rightful indignation over it.

I don't think hiding behind the 'my mom always taught me to respect my heritage and country of origin' story flies when we're talking about show respect to a tyrannical despot like Erdogan.

Where did you hear/see this? Even at Old Trafford itself which is usually a lot more expensive than the typical high street sports stores the shirt is around £60, shorts around £30 & the socks are usually like £15.. give or take a few quid. Still extortionate prices mind but nowhere close to £183 even at the ground itself.

The match authentic kit might be that price though, I saw all the match authentic World Cup tops for France, England, Brazil etc in a few places & they were all touching £100 just for the tops alone.

I hate Adidas. I always liken Adidas to Liverpool as well for some reason even though we were sponsored by Adidas in the early 90's before Umbro.

Nike has been my favourite, good quality, simply designed (usually) & they're training gear was nice as well. New Balance is actually doing decent stuff with Liverpool, or at least I like it, keeping it relatively straight forward nice & simple.. if it wasn't for that disgusting Liverpool badge they'd be excellent. :D

You're right mate, it was probably referring to the 'authentic' match kit, rather than a replica:

https://news.sky.com/story/disgusti...ct-to-183-price-tag-for-new-home-kit-11439637

This is the best situation Liverpool have been in for a long time.

I'd say since the pre-season going into 1987/88, in terms of legitimate chance of competing with quality signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"