The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 55

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Thread Manager, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Much better than I was expecting. Part of the reason I tuned in was to see a possible thrashing haha.

BlackFox likes this.
  2. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I watch a lot of different sports, and this is the best when it comes to club competition.

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  3. BlackFox Monster Hunter

I doubt you were alone, even most United fans were more than a bit worried about this game and assumed a draw was probably the best we could get tonight. The performance was the most pleasing even if it had ended in a draw its a step in the right direction, just need to put in that level of effort week in week out. Tough league game coming up next so isnt going to get easier.

Iceman and DarthSkywalker like this.
  4. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

For some reason, we are much better away from home.

5. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

This in addition to the Newcastle game is a nice recovery from a shambolic start. At least you can go into that tough run with a bit more confidence.

6. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

It's like the NBA, NFL or NHL playoffs, for like 8 months. :D

Iceman likes this.
  7. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Haha, sounds like a great tagline for it. :D

I like having a continental club competition featuring most of the world’s best players. It’s got nice variety to go with the top quality. When all the traditional teams are strong as well as a couple of dark horses it can be amazing from the last 16. I know not everyone enjoys the group stages but there can be a load of good matches there too, even if the pressure isn’t as high till the end and only if the groups are close. Having a 2 leg epic between 2 giants go to the last minute where the currently winning team could transition to losing the whole tie on away goals from just one play can create serious drama.

8. BlackFox Monster Hunter

Yeah thats pretty much it, the next aim is to improve the home form and Chelsea and Arsenal next will be tough but we go into them a lot more confident than after the first few games at least. Its a weird season so anything is really possible and not counting any chickens just yet, we can dish out a beating just as easily as taking one it seems. Looking forward to seeing what Cavani brings to the table.

DarthSkywalker and Iceman like this.
  9. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

See, power play:

#11859 DarthSkywalker, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  10. Hunter Rider Ronin

Pleased with Ole last night, picked the team over the names and got his tactics spot on, the way we switched formations so seamlessly when Pogba came on and we went for the win was impressive.

I thought the back 3 were superb, I've said for a while that I think Shaw's best position is LCB in a 3 and the potential of Axel is huge if he can stay fit, to play like that after nearly a year out and up against Mbappe showed his class. Gotta give Lindelof credit as well, he had his best game in ages, Ole needs to start treating Maguire like Pogba and make him earn his place.

The Real Slim Davey is back! Been excellent in the last 2 games, and AWB has returned to being the Black Gandalf, still needs to crispen his forward play though. Solid debut from Telles, his delivery is quality. Fred was everywhere in midfield and McTominay is improving his defensive positioning, neither offer enough long term though to be consistent starters imo.

Of the front 3 I actually thought Martial was the best of the front in spite of the unfortunate own goal, his old up play and use of the ball was class, where as Bruno and Rashford were very wasteful and careless on the ball in good positions imo, cracking strke from Marcus for the winner though.

I like the way Ole is using Pogba as a floating playmaker off the left, and he helped us keep the ball and apply more pressure at a time when PSG had gotten on top, really showed his experience, being benched hasn't seen him sulk, he's responding well.

Hopefully we can keep progressing as a unit against Chelsea on Saturday and build some positive momentum before the next international break.

With Pogba I always thought we should have copied the Juventus blueprint when we paid so much for him, but we've never had a mobile holder since he arrived. Now should he be able to play deeper? In my opinion he isn't built for it, having said that he's not a #10 as he's best being able to move onto the ball and isn't going to pick up those pockets centrally like the smaller players. That said his inconsistency is down to him imo, too many times he fails to do the basics when deeper and gets us into trouble, that's a mentality issue, he might not like the deeper role but he could do it better more often if he played it as the role it is, which he has shown he can do if he applies himself, even if it doesn't really maximise his abilities. I agree that playing him as a floating playmaker is the way I'd try going forward.

He has to either sign a new deal or go in the summer as we can't let him go for free the summer after. Real Madrid and Juventus are the only two real options and I don't think money gets it done in the current market, we'll need someone coming the other way.

B likes this.
  11. Hunter Rider Ronin

It'll be a contender for goal of the season I imagine, absolutely phenomenal strike, Declan Rice's tweet afterwards was hilarious. :D:

I'd be surprised if either can keep it up across the season but the start they've had gives them a good chance of avoiding being in the relegation battle.

Iceman likes this.
  12. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, definitely. Haha, I posted that tweet here earlier. :hehe:

Yeah, Villa in particular were so poor last season that I thought they might stuff it up. 12 points already gives them a nice buffer as some of the other teams might take nearly half a season getting to that.

13. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Madrid down 3-0 at half! :eek:

Iceman likes this.
  14. BlackFox Monster Hunter

Madrid finding out what a post Ronaldo world looks like and it sucks.

I can vouch for that.

DarthSkywalker and Iceman like this.
  15. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Shakhtar 3 up wow, but Madrid now get 2 back. This is like the PL.

16. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

4-2!! Oh actually, nope. Offside.

17. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Oh damn, Madrid scores in injury time. 3-3.

18. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Haha, disallowed. Actually the offside was totally blatant.

19. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

3-2 final score. Awesome result for Shakhtar. Real and Barca just aren’t the same at the moment.

20. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I was so disappointed with the last minute equalizer, and then I saw the replay! :;hehe:

The Modric goal was sexy.

21. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

As champs of La Liga? The horror. :o

22. BlackFox Monster Hunter

Oh we won league titles but its never as fun and never as good in Europe without him.

Bayern 1-0 against A Madrid. Kimmich pulling strings for them.

Iceman likes this.
  23. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Ajax just got a really weird own goal. Liverpool 1-0.

24. BlackFox Monster Hunter

Bayern 2 up - Goretzka. They are just too good at the moment, easily the best in Europe.

Iceman likes this.
  25. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Thought that was a second own goal haha.