The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I suppose that makes sense, yeah. Will be interesting to see how many are at the League Cup final here. Cup finals are one time I would really love to hear the crowd.
I believe each team is allowed 2,000 fans, but they must all be over 18 years of age. Not sure on how many non-fans will be in the stands, but you have to think very few.

I believe each team is allowed 2,000 fans, but they must all be over 18 years of age. Not sure on how many non-fans will be in the stands, but you have to think very few.
They should give any available seats to the most loyal fans as both a reward and in the hope that leads to the best atmosphere you can get with such a small crowd.

Chelsea win - City's quadruple dream is over.

I am absolutely baffled as to Pep's thought process as to why he made I believe it was 9 changes with his side on the brink of history.

One of the daftest decisions I've ever seen from a top level manager, they've a mid-week game against Villa they could realistically afford to lose because they're sitting with a nice 11 point cushion in the PL followed by obviously the League Cup final next week.

Could have rotated 2-4 players out today, 2-4 on Wednesday, only played a couple for 45-60 minutes to keep them as fresh as possible for the League Cup Final/CL Semi-Final as well as progressed to FA Cup Final & keep their PL cushion.

Don't get me wrong, I love it, as a Manchester United fan I'm glad Pep rotated so heavily against an equally talented team, throwing away a golden opportunity of potentially creating history that would have basically 1 upped your local rivals.. but if the shoe was on the other foot & that was Manchester United & we threw away such a chance by over excessive rotations in such a vital game, I would be absolutely livid..

We are in the final stretch of an odd season that has kinda blurred into the previous season, so what is everyone's team of the season? I'd go with......

Subs: De Gea, Konsa, Trent, Tielemans, De Bruyne, Foden, Mane.

At the minute, I'd go with probably

GK - Martinez
RB - Wan-Bissaka
CB - Diaz
CB - Stones
LB - Shaw

CM - Gundogan
CAM - Grealish
CAM - Fernandes

LW - Son
RW - Salah

ST - Kane

Subs - Mendy, Cresswell, James, Soucek, De Bruyne, Rashford, Bamford

Special mentions are all English players that if they keep their recent hot streaks going till the end of the season they'll be hard not to include IMO - Foden, Mount & Lingard.

I am absolutely baffled as to Pep's thought process as to why he made I believe it was 9 changes with his side on the brink of history.

One of the daftest decisions I've ever seen from a top level manager, they've a mid-week game against Villa they could realistically afford to lose because they're sitting with a nice 11 point cushion in the PL followed by obviously the League Cup final next week.

Could have rotated 2-4 players out today, 2-4 on Wednesday, only played a couple for 45-60 minutes to keep them as fresh as possible for the League Cup Final/CL Semi-Final as well as progressed to FA Cup Final & keep their PL cushion.

Don't get me wrong, I love it, as a Manchester United fan I'm glad Pep rotated so heavily against an equally talented team, throwing away a golden opportunity of potentially creating history that would have basically 1 upped your local rivals.. but if the shoe was on the other foot & that was Manchester United & we threw away such a chance by over excessive rotations in such a vital game, I would be absolutely livid..
True, although their run is getting really difficult right now. They really went for it away to Dortmund (a great performance after they went a goal down) so will be knackered from that. After the league cup final on Sunday they then have the first leg away to PSG on the Wednesday 3 days later. This was always the deciding period for the quadruple chances as the finals take place at the end of the season and are going to be against likely easier opponents. 9 changes is too much to give yourself a realistic chance though, the Villa match was the time to just throw a different team out. I think it's a mistake too as the FA Cup would have been an easy win to complete a domestic treble with Leicester and Southampton the opponents, but maybe giving the CL the best shot in a year where they are favourites is more important to them than having a good go at the quadruple.

Reactions: B
Oh just realised Sheff Utd finally got relegated today (just as Norwich go the other direction). Really a shame after they had settled well in the PL and were making good progress.

Leicester have a hard end to the season. Their last 3 games are Utd and Chelsea away, and then home to Spurs. If they don't win a bunch of their next few games or at least start playing like their old selves they aren't getting top 4.

They seem to have gone right off the boil of late, Vardy has not been the same for some time, not sure if he's injured or not but hasnt scored very many lately and Madison seems to be having off the field antics which arent helping the cause. Its a shame as they do well to compete and keep up amongst the Chelsea/United/Liverpools of this world with their limited resources in comparison but they dont have the depth in squad of the others, will be a kick in the teeth if they were just to miss out again but they do seem to fade at the end a bit.

We are in the final stretch of an odd season that has kinda blurred into the previous season, so what is everyone's team of the season? I'd go with......

Mine wouldnt be too different, from what I have seen which is not everyone all the time, something like:

GK Martinez

LB Shaw
CB Coady
CB Diaz
RB Cancelo

MF Fernandes
MF Gundogan
MF Mount

Fwd Son
Fwd Kane
Fwd Calvert-Lewin

Subs: Bamford, Dallas, Stones, Salah, Grealish,

Kane would be my player of the season by quite some way, he's head and shoulders above the rest this season and its not even close, considering the team he plays in (and who for!!) his game has gone on a level and expanded to more than just a target man.

They seem to have gone right off the boil of late, Vardy has not been the same for some time, not sure if he's injured or not but hasnt scored very many lately and Madison seems to be having off the field antics which arent helping the cause. Its a shame as they do well to compete and keep up amongst the Chelsea/United/Liverpools of this world with their limited resources in comparison but they dont have the depth in squad of the others, will be a kick in the teeth if they were just to miss out again but they do seem to fade at the end a bit.
Doing it at the end when the pressure is higher is part of the test. It takes that bit extra to get over the line even after having set yourself up well especially when you are competing against bigger clubs (as West Ham are also finding out, and as Spurs used to find till they finally broke through).

Let's not forget Vardy is 34 though and his pace has been a huge factor to why he's been so good. I wouldn't be surprised if Leicester buy a starting striker for next season and Vardy will get more of an impact sub type role. Few strikers are able to still lead the line at his age for a club at that level. If he can change his style a bit and adapt to more of a sneaky 'fox in the box' type striker he can still continue to score 10-15 goals for a few seasons.

Arsenal about to lose to Fulham at home lol. Not even a surprise any more.

Oh, actually they proved me wrong. Nketiah scores 7 mins into injury time! 1-1 final score. Now that is surprising haha.

United beat Burnley 3-1 in the end, not overly convincing but the gap to City is down to 8 points now, what are the odds on City winning nothing this season, need to get down the bookies quick.....

Little needs to be said about today's game, Burnley showed up with a very Burnley like gameplan, gave United all the time they needed to settle into the game & slowly apply more & more pressure. Didn't learn anything new about either team or players.

Last edited:
Gary Neville's comments on the 'super league' are spot on, I honestly hope all teams involved get punished with point deduction (yes even us)

giphy.gif

I don't think it will happen, however you know what always makes me laugh, when this greed infused ****e always rears it's head it's billed as a 'Super League'.

Man United - 2nd
Chelsea - 5th
Liverpool - 6th
Arsenal - 9th
Juventus - 4th
Real Madrid - 2nd
Barcelona - 3rd

Some 'Super League' you've got there when over half of the teams constantly involved in discussions aren't even the best team in their own country.. some not even close. This is what these owners want, they want to eliminate competition & the possibility of an Atletico Madrid, West Ham, Leicester, Atalanta to name but a few getting in & stealing their spot when they've not been good enough.

From what I've been reading Bayern Munich & PSG have said no, I also read Manchester City said no as well & if that's true I'm even more annoyed because I wish my club was the 1 saying no, piss off, as opposed to having the owners that are likely driving the train with John Henry & that other dip**** from Arsenal that owns the Rams whatever his name is.

I don't like FIFA or UEFA, but this would be a fantastic response. Break away from your domestic leagues to create a 'Super League' & both the club/players involved will be banned from competing in anything else.

Every team involved should instantly get a 30 point deduction or preferably instant relegation and 6 teams promoted from the Championship, utter treason from all of them, Henry the VIII wouldn't stand for this nonsense.

Leicester make it to the FA Cup final against Chelsea with a 1-0 win over Southampton. Should be a decent game at least for the final, Leicester always cause Chelsea problems.

UEFA, FA and FIFA actually doing anything like that would be hilarious. Because you know, they'd be ****ed. Posturing is fun.

So here are the 15 biggest clubs on the planet, who pay their players so well, they have the 250 best players on the planet. Yeah, we will tell them they can't play in the CL, Euros, FA Cup, League Cup, SERIE A, La Liga, World Cup, etc. I am sure, that wouldn't effect those competitions ratings or ticket sales at all. :lmao:

We just heard people crying they need the teams people actually care about to show up for the League Cup. :funny:

I wonder which clubs it could be. :o

Sources: 15 clubs in $6bn Super League talks

ESPN has been told by a person familiar with the blueprint that the proposed framework involves a total of 20 teams, with 15 permanent members who cannot be relegated.

A further five teams will be rotated in and out of the competition, based on performance, but the permanent members will include six Premier League clubs, three from La Liga, three from Italy's Serie A, two from the Bundesliga and one from France's Ligue 1.

Try having any of those tournaments without these clubs and their players: United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Real Madrid, Barca, Atletico, Milan, Inter, Juve, Bayern, Dortmund or PSG.

Last edited:
As a Man United fan I absolutely hate this idea. Gary Neville is spot one right.

If domestic leagues and national football associations are against this then that gives UEFA and FIFA the right to ban players from Euro and WC tournaments. Players want to play in those tournaments. They will vote with their feet. UK government can also impose foreign player limits or footballer taxes on players playing for clubs outside the FA. None of that can be taken to court or can be won.

Some levity, RedCafe (Man United forum) thread title:

European Super League | announcement has been delayed due to nobody being sure how Tottenham were invited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"