Age of Ultron The Original Cut: What do you think was omitted and why?

NimbleBimble

Civilian
Reaction score
The original cut of the film is said to be roughly three and a half hours.

I was going to cite sources, but a quick Google search will provide proof

And direct from Whedon's mouth:

https://youtu.be/9oZIks6NlK8

The point of this thread is to discuss what we think may have been cut, why it was cut and how different the film may have been with a little bit of that fat left untrimmed. I personally really love the film, but like many others, I feel that there are pacing issues and some truncated moments that seem to hinder certain scenes.

So what do you think was cut?

For example: I think there's evidence that Vision and Thor likely had more of an altercation during the birthing scene. Had that been left in, it could have been not only a cool action scene that showed Vision as potential threat. but it also might have allowed the audience to better understand Vision's naivete and his distinct powers and abilities.

Clearly Loki was cut. What could that have added? Were there scenes that might have provided a slower progression of Ultron's turn towards an evil "murderbot". Do you think the twins have any worthwhile scenes that didn't make it to the final cut? Would you have liked any extended scenes of the Hulk, maybe even giving him a few lines?

What would you have liked to see included? What deleted scenes do you think will show up on DVD/BluRay? Would you want a 3 and 1/2 hour run time?

Last edited:
I´ve read somewhere that a lot screentime of the twins got cut, around 45 minutes I think it said (though that sounds really a LOT...is that even possible? Cannot remember where I read it.), where we would have seen more of their background story/ motives and Johnson mentioned in an interview that there was a scene where Pietro put out a fire on Thor´s cape. And then of course the alternative scene of Pietro waking up again and him and Wanda together in their new uniforms. Well, that not really got cut of course, just not used. :cmad:

Hope we get to see the cut or not used scenes on the DVD.

I didn't even know about some of those. However unlikely, I really wish we do get an extended cut.

I think we will, but not until all 3 phases are complete and Marvel/Disney want to make more money off their material

I just wonder how different a movie we would get with that original running-time.

I also wonder what "two or three" scenes Whedon said he particularly hated cutting

At the risk of being called out for shamelessly bumping my own thread, I have several other wishes for deleted scenes and/or guesses what may have been in the Original Cut.

Vision, man, Vision. I might be repeating myself here regarding the lack of power explaition, but we never got this:
latest

I went in knowing he would only come to life in the third act. But I would've loved to see him really using his powers. (Though I have to say, Thor, Vision and Iron Man blasting Ultron in unison is possibly one of the most, if not the most, comic-book-come-to-life moments in any film. And for whatever heat Whedon might be getting, I don't really see any other director pulling that off so well/

I also think there are some deleted scenes for cap and his dark side, his arc ending with him finally being "at home" seem to be lacking

Damn, I'd really like to see the original cut.

He actually phased through some of the Ultron bots. The color was yellow though as opposed to blue. This is why War Machine was confused. This guy was actually phasing through things.

Yeah, those were some cool displays. I was thinking more along the lines of a full-blown ghosting through walls moment. Maybe the first cut included something that would explain his abilities.

I'm also wondering how far the VFX were in the the additional hour.

The Twins, Vision, Ultron, Klaue and Thor.

To me it seemed like plenty of the rest was left intact.

Has Marvel officially said a Directors/Extended cut will be released?

No, not for any MCU movies. Which is a real shame in regards to Thor TDW.

The one where Ultron defeated The Avengers that mislead viewers in the trailer.

Joss described a Thor sequence involving Loki mimicking Odin. It sounded a fun scene, but probably didn't add that much apart from having Loki be in the movie.

As for extended cuts, I doubt it, but we'll have the usual handful of deleted / extended scenes on the Blu ray. Possibly a few more than normal, if rumours of the 40+ mins of cut out footage are to be believed.

yup, Whedon said 3 hrs 15 min. (without end credits i suppose). also that theres an alternate ending that would make it a lot... happier for the fans of a certain Avenger.

idk if Whedon plans to do an LOTR and weave back in all the deleted stuff (essentially coming up with a new movie). it would be nice though, we'd probably get a movie that would flow better than what was released in theaters.

The rest of the Avengers Assemble line from the end of the movie.

Captain America only said Avengers before the movie went to the credits.

I would have liked to see the Loki scene. I was always under the impression that Thor was supposed to find out Loki tricked himself onto the throne in this movie.

Then again, that likely wouldn't have advanced the plot of AoU and I feel like one scene wouldn't be enough to explain everything.

I would have liked to see more of the Hulk being the Hulk.

I guarantee that Loki will be in the deleted scenes, Apparently Whedon was mandated to include Thor's vision question, he agreed so long as the farm house scene remained. And I imagine that a good five or ten minutes of Thor's vision was left on the cutting room floor, which would have added a whole new element in to movie.

I'd also imagine Whedon had certain scenes that would have brought more depth to Quicksilvers death IE. More payoff with Wanda and Hawkee.

If you think about it, little bits of extra Quicksilver character moments throughout the film would have given his death more weigt.

You can see Thor's cape looking a bit ragged with holes in it in some scenes of the final battle.

Yes? Didn´t notice that, but will look for it, when the movie comes out on DVD. I´ve read some more bits of the scene...or maybe heard it in an interview on You Tube or so... anyway... it was said the scene had Pietro running around Thor very fast and that is how he put out the fire and these two had a short moment of interaction.
Pitty this got cut, sounds like a cool scene and I don´t think Pietro had any other contact points with Thor, had he? Well with the hammer... but that does not really count.

Yeah, strange that Whedon killed QS to give the battle weight, but then cut most of the QS character stuff that would have given his death the impact he was going for. How did he expect us to care for a character we hardly knew, thanks to all the cuts?

Last edited:
He actually phased through some of the Ultron bots. The color was yellow though as opposed to blue. This is why War Machine was confused. This guy was actually phasing through things.
I lol'd bad at that moment. Rhodey's being all cocky saving the day, and then Vision just appears out of almost literally nowhere and blasts an Ultron drone to smithereens. Rhodey's reaction was priceless :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"