DC Television The Penguin on HBO

It would be so cool if they had a season 2 and the Holiday killer is the main big bad.

I noticed that too with the last name of Carmen Ejogo's character being Karlo.

I was really hoping we’d see a hint at Batman; still hoping he appears.

Otherwise, very excited for this

The show will be entirely nonsensical if Batman doesn't appear. So he better.

I think there'll be hits of him at least- maybe we see the Batsignal go up once or twice, or we hear his footsteps and cut before he shows up? I wouldn't be opposed if we got the occasional bit of him taking down some rogue or criminal, kind of like the brief bit with Batman and Deadshot in Suicide Squad.

But if we don't actually get Battinson on screen, his presence should at least be felt.

I would be extremely surprised if Pattinson is in more than a scene if he’s in it at all. Nothing gives me the impression that Batman has a role of any significance in this show - which is fine!

Nah, it breaks canon. We'll all be Star Wars "fans" come September.

Why can't the show operate within the politics of the criminal underworld without direct involvement from Batman?
Because the movie ended with Batman narrating this:

mpv-shot0007.jpg

And making a big deal about how Batman would have to deal with the power vacuum Falcone left. So I don't think there's any actual way to justify his absence on the middle of a gigantic power struggle between Oz and all these other gang leaders without it seeming absolutely stupid. He's gonna be doing what instead? Organized crime is what caused everything in The Batman to unfold in the first place, it makes absolutely no sense for him to be turning a blind eye to it immediately after.

Nah, it breaks canon. We'll all be Star Wars "fans" come September.
I mean yeah if you have a show that's priding itself on being the continuation of The Batman I'd at least expect for it to make sense as an actual continuation. I also don't think Batman's absence would make this show any better either.

View attachment 94044

And making a big deal about how Batman would have to deal with the power vacuum Falcone left. So I don't think there's any actual way to justify his absence on the middle of a gigantic power struggle between Oz and all these other gang leaders without it seeming absolutely stupid. He's gonna be doing what instead? Organized crime is what caused everything in The Batman to unfold in the first place, it makes absolutely no sense for him to be turning a blind eye to it immediately after.
Dude is busy, he can't be breaking up every piece of mob infighting happening. He has stuff to do!

View attachment 94044

Presumably he's dealing with other important **** off screen, or have some other off-screen role in proceedings. It's really not that complicated and I do think it's probably best to prepare for disappointment if you're wanting Batman to have anything other than a cameo.

Dude is busy, he can't be breaking up every piece of mob infighting happening. He has stuff to do!
Presumably he's dealing with other important **** off screen, or have some other off-screen role in proceedings. It's really not that complicated and I do think it's probably best to prepare for disappointment if you're wanting Batman to have anything other than a cameo.

What could be more important than the mob infighting that he literally acknowledged would be the big thing that'd make things a lot more dangerous in Gotham after the flood? It'd just be lame and embarrassing if he doesn't show up, especially since I don't think this show has any real appeal aside from being a The Batman continuation.

What could be more important than the mob infighting that he literally acknowledged would be the big thing that'd make things a lot more dangerous in Gotham after the flood? It'd just be lame and embarrassing if he doesn't show up, especially since I don't think this show has any real appeal aside from being a The Batman continuation.
I mean, it's a well made looking crime show that probably has a bunch of fun Batman lore with a good cast lead by a great actor giving a performance we already know is great? I'm not like through the roof hyped but I couldn't really care less about it continuing The Batman's plot lol.

I mean, it's a well made looking crime show that probably has a bunch of fun Batman lore with a good cast lead by a great actor giving a performance we already know is great? I'm not like through the roof hyped but I couldn't really care less about it continuing The Batman's plot lol.
The show is literally advertising itself all over the marketing with "THE NEXT CHAPTER OF THE BATMAN SAGA" in all caps. I don't think I'm being exactly unfair here by wanting it to at least make sense in regards to where the first movie left off. In fact they're kinda asking for that lol

What about Gotham City being threatened by the likes of Olga Queen of the Cossacks, The BookWorm, King Tut, Shame or Chandell?

Add The Siren and Ma Parker and I'd be down.

This show looks very well made, but I'm getting tired of the gritty Bat-realism.

The show is literally advertising itself all over the marketing with "THE NEXT CHAPTER OF THE BATMAN SAGA". I don't think I'm being exactly unfair here by wanting it to at least make sense in regards to where the first movie left off.
And I’m sure there will be some indication of what Batman is doing even if it is just a handwave.

And I’m sure there will be some indication of what Batman is doing even if it is just a handwave.
And that'd be lame and that'd make the entire show pointless.

Also in general I do think there is something to be said about how IP shows like this should justify not only their existence but using the IP they're using. The thing that makes this show stand apart from generic mob show #59023932 is the fact that it is set in the world of The Batman. And what's the thing that makes the world of The Batman special, most of all? The fact it has Batman on it. If it doesn't even attempt to do anything with that then I do think chances are it's just gonna feel like filler streaming nonsense and an extremely extremely hacky way to try to do a Boardwalk Empire-esque show.

One of the characters last names is Karlo. Basil Karlo was Clayface. Possible connection?
Karlo is such a specific last name that I'm gonna take this as borderline confirmation that something Clayface related is coming since he's been the big rumour from day one.

And that'd be lame and that'd make the entire show pointless.

Also in general I do think there is something to be said about how IP shows like this should justify not only their existence but using the IP they're using. The thing that makes this show stand apart from generic mob show #59023932 is the fact that it is set in the world of The Batman. And what's the thing that makes the world of The Batman special, most of all? The fact it has Batman on it. If it doesn't even attempt to do anything with that then I do think chances are it's just gonna feel like filler streaming nonsense.
Invader, it does not make the entire show pointless the point of the show is Colin Farrell lol. Colin Farrell is the star attraction not Batman. This show is a star vehicle first and foremost to capitalize on how great Farrell's performance is, that is why it is being made.

Sure, if the show isn't well written and engaging on its own terms. All of that becomes immediately irrelevant if its good. Which it looks like it is! There are plenty of Gotham City set stories that don't feature Batman in a terribly prominent role (one of the best, if not the best, Batman comics ever is Gotham Central where his role is comparable to what it'll probably be here if he does make an appearance). Obviously Batman is the central and most important part of Batman lore but it's not like doing Gotham set stories where he's a bit player or off-screen is unheard of or even uncommon.

I agree it's biggest danger is being kinda generic! Batman being in it does not immediately elevate it from being streaming filler. It is streaming filler if it is bad and feels like streaming filler regardless of Batman's presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"