The President Obama Thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thread Manager, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SV Fan

SV Fan Well-Known Member

2. Schlosser85

Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

If it was a threat, it was a very veiled one.

Also, in his reply, Woodward certainly didn't seem to feel threatened.

3. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

The main thing the WH threatens is restrict that journalist or their paper's access to the President. The main thing that Woodward is getting at is when someone hits a nerve with this WH, they get very huffy and close ranks with those they talk to. He basically said he hasn't seen this reactive of a WH since several decades ago, seemingly hinting at Nixon's administration.

4. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

LOL, Woodward is loving this....

5. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

I don't remember? Did Bush make any comments when the GW movie came out? I tried to tune him out any time he spoke, so I don't actually remember anything he said...

6. Webfoot Hero

Not as much as Obama and the Senate were in this whole sequester situation. Couldn't get his fellow Democrats in the Senate to even come up with a decent proposal.

7. Webfoot Hero

Both parties are jokes right now since they can't get anything done.

8. SV Fan

SV Fan Well-Known Member

I have to agree on this, why the Republicans can't budge one inch on tax cuts(or more so cutting tax loopholes) is beyond me. There stupid logic that they already cut taxes is a bunch of BS, the so called tax cuts they made were on a bunch of temporary taxes which they renewed most of them anyways, so in my eyes renewing most temporary tax cuts is an increase not a decrease.

9. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

OMG, will somebody please hit the record player the needle is sticking again on the same song.....

10. Destructus86

Destructus86 Well-Known Member

11. Darthphere

Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Everything sounds better on vinyl.

12. SuperT

SuperT Boom Shaka Laka

13. Webfoot Hero

Except maybe Yoko Ono. Nothing can make that sound better.

14. hippie_hunter

hippie_hunter The King is Back!

Except Obama really isn't willing to compromise and work with the GOP as well. He's a man who has always looked down upon the GOP and any "work" he has done with them was done simply because he has no choice. What we have here is a situation where both sides have a mutual disdain for each other and have no desire to work with one another. It is exactly like you say that the GOP is unwilling to work with Obama, but Obama is just as bad as the GOP.

15. SV Fan

SV Fan Well-Known Member

Only problem is the Republicans keep claiming Obama hasn't made any proposals but that is a lie he did make a proposal with both cutting tax loopholes and spending cuts. Now one may not be a fan of what he chooses to spend but he did put a plan out there and it seems like the Republicans won't budge one inch on the loopholes.

It's basically hard to compromise with somebody when they refuse to budge on 1 issue(ie the loopholes) that the other side believes is important. Now if the Republicans can make an argument why we should cut any given loophole more power to them but they can't even explain why any of the proposed tax loophole shouldn't be cut, we just get a general statement we can't increase taxes or we already increased taxes(which I pointed out is BS, because it wasn't a case of increasing taxes it was a case of we didn't renew a bunch of temporary taxes, although we renewed a majority of those so that should be a win for the Republicans) and it's left at that

16. hippie_hunter

Except they already have. They already agreed to allowing the Bush Tax cuts to expire on those making above $400,000 and raising their rates to Clintonian levels. You can't exactly go after the GOP for not allowing tax rates to go up when they already allowed it to happen.

Do you honestly think it's reasonable for Obama expect the GOP, an anti-tax party, to cave on raising taxes yet again, just mere months after already agreeing to raise taxes?

17. hippie_hunter

I take Obama's "proposals" just as seriously as the GOP's weak-sauce proposals. Obama and the GOP have become absolute jokes, especially in the past couple of weeks. It really has gotten to the point IMO where I cannot take either side seriously at all.

18. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

He may "look down" on the GOP and any work he does with them is out of necessity or obligation, but that's better when a large enough plurality of House Republicans, enough that can derail the governance of our country, look on working with the POTUS as akin to treason and consider him not only inferior, but to be a usurper, a communist, statist, and whatever other ist they heard Glenn Beck tell them to stupidly think.

That is a huge problem.

19. Webfoot Hero

If you actually think Glenn Beck has any pull with a good number of Republicans, then you are delusional. They'll talk to him if he's near or calls, but I doubt any base their votes on what his reaction will be. He's really a nobody in D.C.

20. SV Fan

SV Fan Well-Known Member

No they haven't increased taxes. The Bush tax cuts were temporary, which by definition means there is a set date they will run out and we go back to the norm. Once they ran out, they renewed most of the taxes and if I am correct instead of them being temporary like they have been up till this point for the last 10 years they are now permanent and law. By definition that is a Tax decrease because a new law was put into place to decrease taxes on the first 400k. By the Republicans claiming that a temporary tax cut ending but renewing many parts of it is actually a tax increase and not a tax decrease is a bunch of BS.

It would be like if I decided to give you 5 dollars a day for a week and at the end of the week when that deal ran out I decided to give you 4 dollars a day from that point on. I am not taking 1 dollar away from you I am still giving you 4 dollars. Now if you want to whine and cry that it's not as good as before when I was giving you 5 dollars fine, but simple fact when I renew my deal with you, you are gaining 4 dollars.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  21. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

My paycheck is saying that its an increase...because it just decreased.... :cwink:

22. SV Fan

SV Fan Well-Known Member

The payroll taxes were also a temporary tax decrease. In that case they went back to the norm on Jan 1

Using my money analogy from above it would be like me making a deal giving you 5 bucks a day for a week. Then taking that completely away the next week, then saying I am somehow screwing you out of 5 bucks because last week i was getting 5 bucks more.

If you notice the Republicans didn't even put up a fight for the payroll tax going back to normal like they did for millionaires and billionaires.

23. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

My paycheck feels screwed....actually I'm just messin' with ya. I wasn't really hit hard by either...I was one of the lucky ones. I have friends however that their paychecks are saying they feel violated. :cwink:

24. SV Fan

SV Fan Well-Known Member

I feel for those who make 1M a year. boo hoo hoo

(it should be pointed out the first 400k of that still get the tax cuts of the new law that was voted on)

Funny thing is the republicans constantly use the term entitlement as a negative thing for people. Wouldn't the Bush Tax cuts be a case of people feeling entitlement to those temporary tax cuts? it should be pointed out in both the cases of the Bush Tax cuts and Payroll tax cuts, they were passed off as stimulus and not permanent tax cuts at any point.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  25. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

Well, considering my friends put almost 100% of what they make BACK into growing their business. It would be nice if they had more $$$ to do that...instead they are holding off right now on the hiring. They could easily use another 4 people in their business, but it's not going to happen right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.