The Punisher The Punisher - General Discussion Thread

being italian i hope they keep that background. i wanted to ask the question of his real last name being in the show to bernthal himself if i knew a way to contact him. he looks italian in a way, especially the attitude, he also played capone in a movie and it would be a shame if he's not italian american in the show. also it would be nice to have a "positive" italian american character once in a while and not the usual mafia guy, there's jigsaw for that. i'd love even only a mention of the name castiglione. i'm sure the show will be great anyway...
I hope they keep in the Castiglione thing as well.

That being said Punitore, not sure if we can really call someone like Punisher a "positive" Italian American hero ;)

Yeah...romance shouldn't be in Frank's wheelhouse at all just yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it hasn't been THAT MUCH time since he avenged his family. He should technically still be in mourning, and if they push a romantic subplot in this series, it will be extremely disrespectful towards his wife. Frank already commits some seriously ****ed up atrocities. You should almost have a hard time rooting for Frank, even though we all do. :D I just think it would be the wrong move and cause some viewers to actually out and out dislike Frank.

I hope they keep in the Castiglione thing as well.

That being said Punitore, not sure if we can really call someone like Punisher a "positive" Italian American hero ;)

Yeah, I'm Italian myself, and it makes sense that they'd have forced his family to change their name on Ellis island when they came over. They did it to mine.

And yeah... positive?! Not even close. Haha He's not exactly any better than any of the gangsters so many Italians have become famous playing. He'll, honestly, he's probably worse. :D

FWIW, the idea that anyone was forced to change their name (or that it was accidentally changed upon arrival) is actually a myth. Immigration officials at Ellis island actually went to considerable effort to get your correct name and, knowing there were language barriers, often would use things like passenger manifolds to get the correct name rather than communication (so they would get the name and spelling correct).

What ended up happening is people would either change their name because they wanted to seem more American or because they got tired of Americans not understanding how to say or spell it.

I recall reading somewhere the comic explanation of Castiglione to Castle is that he changed his name so he could volunteer to serve in Vietnam for another tour. I don't know enough about military procedure back then or now to figure out if that makes any sense, I just recall reading it. Regardless, the idea that his family changed the name to seem more American would fit just as well if he was born as Frank Castle instead of Frank Castiglione.

FWIW, the idea that anyone was forced to change their name (or that it was accidentally changed upon arrival) is actually a myth. Immigration officials at Ellis island actually went to considerable effort to get your correct name and, knowing there were language barriers, often would use things like passenger manifolds to get the correct name rather than communication (so they would get the name and spelling correct).

What ended up happening is people would either change their name because they wanted to seem more American or because they got tired of Americans not understanding how to say or spell it.

I recall reading somewhere the comic explanation of Castiglione to Castle is that he changed his name so he could volunteer to serve in Vietnam for another tour. I don't know enough about military procedure back then or now to figure out if that makes any sense, I just recall reading it. Regardless, the idea that his family changed the name to seem more American would fit just as well if he was born as Frank Castle instead of Frank Castiglione.

I know my family changed their name from Merilicio to just Merilic. Whether they were forced or just chose, I haven't the slightest. I just know a few generations ago when we got here, somehow we wound up losing two letters from the family name. :D

Bernthal talking about the upcoming Punisher season with Entertainment Weekly
This season is much darker as it goes, it gets darker and darker and more visceral. The show takes you on this journey of Frank becoming more and more human again and then shutting off and shutting off and going back to what works for him, and the place where he kind of belongs, and I think that’s a place of solitude and of darkness and destruction. It’s going to get into as dark and as brutal a place as you’ve ever seen in the Marvel world, I can promise you that.

Punisher-Jon-Bernthal-600x759.jpg

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/09/jon-bernthals-punisher-featured-in-new-promo-image-for-the-marvel-netflix-series/

Bernthal talking about the upcoming Punisher season with Entertainment Weekly

Oh man...that sounds amazing. Do we think it's Karen that starts to bring his humanity back? Maybe he realizes he has to shut that part of himself off to do what he feels needs to be done. Plus, as we all know, the more human you are and the more people you care about, the more things you have that can be used against you. Do we know if there will be any other small cameos? Any chance of Fisk showing back up or anything? I LOVED their screentime together.

Appreciate the lesson.

I think that it's going to be toned down compared to the comics to fit in with the Netflix verse. Too me it makes sense that he would have it.

I think that it's going to be toned down compared to the comics to fit in with the Netflix verse. Too me it makes sense that he would have it.

Yeah...IDK why I'm concerned about it. It's not like he's gonna be rolling around town in a van with a big ass skull on the side. As long as it's not ridiculous I'm fine with it.

Oh man...that sounds amazing. Do we think it's Karen that starts to bring his humanity back? Maybe he realizes he has to shut that part of himself off to do what he feels needs to be done. Plus, as we all know, the more human you are and the more people you care about, the more things you have that can be used against you. Do we know if there will be any other small cameos? Any chance of Fisk showing back up or anything? I LOVED their screentime together.

Yeah the way their describing his character arc for this season has me very excited. It seems like actually the relationship between Frank and Micro will be the heart of the show according to this article.
https://moviepilot.com/p/it-takes-a-lot-to-be-the-punisher-s-roommate-just-ask-micro/4369833

Karen will of course play an important part in the story.

It feels so good to see some punishing. Frank makes it a art form.

Netflix Korea tweeted and deleted a post saying it's an October release. So we'll see...

Man I hope so.

Rambo vibes for sure from that promo vid. Also kinda makes me think of The Hunted with Benicio Del Toro.

Last edited:
I thought this was getting a November release. If it's getting a release in October, then why isn't there a release date yet? Is Marvel seriously going to announce at NYCC that the show is coming out within a week? What about press screeners?

I hope those soldiers were some bad dudes for Frank to off them like that.

I thought this was getting a November release. If it's getting a release in October, then why isn't there a release date yet? Is Marvel seriously going to announce at NYCC that the show is coming out within a week? What about press screeners?

Very peculiar indeed.

I hope those soldiers were some bad dudes for Frank to off them like that.

IDK...they must have sucked. It's not like they were in the jungle. It was pretty open area, and he snuck up on their asses with no issues. :D

I'm not questioning their incompetence. I'm questioning if they were corrupt or evil. What if they were just following orders but were still good upstanding soldiers for the most part?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"