The Punisher The Punisher - General Discussion Thread

Won’t be at New York Comic-Con this weekend. Hope that we still get a release date.

Not surprised they aren't participating at NYCC. Slightly disappointing but very understandable and commendable. Hopefully whatever release date they were planning on won't change though.

Im not surprised they are doing this but its an overeaction. Unless The Punisher shoots up a bunch of innocent people during the season there was no reason to not have a panel at NYCC. The Punisher isnt the same as that psychopath that murdered those people in Vegas and its not like the show is going to be promoting people to go crazy with guns. At the very least they should have had the panel but not shown any footage of him shooting bad guys.

I hope they aren't considering bumping the release date to 2018.

Hey, it's more tactful than anything else. Even if they aren't connected and if Frank Castle is fictional, it'd be in poor taste to some. Granted, many a comic fan would probably tell those who see it in poor taste to get over it, stop being snowflakes, or something similar.

I've read a few articles where Jon Bernthal and some of the creators of the show were saying that they made it a point not to make Frank too heroic. They said that it's gonna be hard to root for Frank at times because of his ruthless and violent ways. I think that's a good sign and I hope that they really do go that route, because in the Punisher MAX series he was really a monster and a lot of the things he did made me wanna turn away.

We live in a world where often, it's the villains that the public tends to like over the heroes. Anti-heroes are just as loved. I think as long as Frank doesn't kill children or dogs for fun, he will be cool with the public, no matter what he does.

Once again, showing him run around a hospital with a shotgun in the second season of Daredevil and then telling Karen she was in no danger and it would've been one shot one kill with a shotgun was bad writing. And I say bad writing because it sounds ridiculous and it didn't make sense for Frank Castle to pull a stunt like that because it made him look more like a deranged lunatic who doesn't care about the consequences of his actions.

Im not surprised they are doing this but its an overeaction. Unless The Punisher shoots up a bunch of innocent people during the season there was no reason to not have a panel at NYCC. The Punisher isnt the same as that psychopath that murdered those people in Vegas and its not like the show is going to be promoting people to go crazy with guns. At the very least they should have had the panel but not shown any footage of him shooting bad guys.

I hope they aren't considering bumping the release date to 2018.

Agreed 100%. Saying they are doing this because of the gun violence, what about all the other media depicting gun violence this week???

We just had the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history and he's a character whose super power is shooting the **** out of people. I get being frustrated and I'm disappointed myself, but let's not pretend this is an unreasonable move. From a PR perspective it's clearly the right one.

understandable for sure but im pretty bummed... :csad: Now im thinking they might even postpone the release date too. Ughhh I'd hate for that to happen...At least give us a release date now, we've been waiting long enough.

How is it "understandable" when no one else is taking that consideration? It just comes off a strange as hell, in context. If people don't want to see it, they won't see it. Just cancelling the panel, not anyone else, seems strange.

Because the way the public and media are gonna view it I think...Like someone said earlier, anyone who doesnt know about the Punisher is just gonna see a guy running around shooting people. You know how people are they're gonna see that and cry foul. I wish it wasn't like that but that's just the way it is.

We just had the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history and he's a character whose super power is shooting the **** out of people. I get being frustrated and I'm disappointed myself, but let's not pretend this is an unreasonable move. From a PR perspective it's clearly the right one.

He shoots the **** out of extremely bad and violent criminals in a fictional universe involving neo Nazi super cults, aliens, gods, superhumans, and mystical super powers. I think the average person can separate The Punisher from what happened in Vegas. And I seriously doubt anyone that was at that horrible event in Vegas will be watching whats going on at NYCC. So who exactly is Marvel trying to spare by canceling the panel? And like I said, nothing in the show condones gun violence. The show fully displays the horror of frank's actions and the toll it takes on him and those around him. And the show doesnt shy away from the damage those guns cause. But thats besides the point. The point is a panel is essentially a meeting between some of the cast and crew and fans. No footage has to be shown. Why is letting the panel take place so unreasonable? Were the cast and crew going to go there and talk about how awesome gun violence is? I doubt it. Hell they could have used the panel to discuss the issues of gun violence or taken a moment to raise awareness. Rather than just canceling the whole thing.

For the record, I'm not frustrated. I don't go to Comic Con. I just think it's a knee jerk decision to cancel the panel. And I think its silly that people seem to think they should have.

I don't think they should've cancelled it, but the shooting still happened Sunday. They are probably just trying to be sensitive. Maybe hyper-sensitive and too careful, but such is the world we live.

Some people are surprised that UFC didn't cancel it's own event on Saturday in Las Vegas.

People might look at the show and view Frank Castle and The Punisher as someone akin to the shooter and might find parallels, so they are probably just playing it safe. When something like this happens, there's always finger pointing and a search for scapegoats. Marvel and Netflix probably just want to avoid such things at the moment even if it would be unfair.

He shoots the **** out of extremely bad and violent criminals in a fictional universe involving neo Nazi super cults, aliens, gods, superhumans, and mystical super powers. I think the average person can separate The Punisher from what happened in Vegas. And I seriously doubt anyone that was at that horrible event in Vegas will be watching whats going on at NYCC. So who exactly is Marvel trying to spare by canceling the panel? And like I said, nothing in the show condones gun violence. The show fully displays the horror of frank's actions and the toll it takes on him and those around him. And the show doesnt shy away from the damage those guns cause. But thats besides the point. The point is a panel is essentially a meeting between some of the cast and crew and fans. No footage has to be shown. Why is letting the panel take place so unreasonable? Were the cast and crew going to go there and talk about how awesome gun violence is? I doubt it. Hell they could have used the panel to discuss the issues of gun violence or taken a moment to raise awareness. Rather than just canceling the whole thing.

For the record, I'm not frustrated. I don't go to Comic Con. I just think it's a knee jerk decision to cancel the panel. And I think its silly that people seem to think they should have.

Im pretty frustrated lol even though I've never been to Comic-Con either. I think part of it stems from the fact that they still wont give us a release date...Was Walking Dead supposed to be at NYCC too? Maybe they should pull their panel as well.

I understand the frustration. But at the same time, I understand the sensitivity in cancelling the event. Warner Bros. cancelled its LA premiere of Blade Runner as well.

The premiere for the first Jack Reacher movie was also postponed shortly after a tragic shooting in Newton, Connecticut in 2012.

I absolutely understand why they're doing this. It may seem like an overaction to you, but the slim chance that someone touched by the actual tragedy I'm sure would see it as glorifying violence. That's not the kind of press anyone wants over their head.

I don't think they should've cancelled it, but the shooting still happened Sunday. They are probably just trying to be sensitive. Maybe hyper-sensitive and too careful, but such is the world we live.

Some people are surprised that UFC didn't cancel it's own event on Saturday in Las Vegas.

People might look at the show and view Frank Castle and The Punisher as someone akin to the shooter and might find parallels, so they are probably just playing it safe. When something like this happens, there's always finger pointing and a search for scapegoats. Marvel and Netflix probably just want to avoid such things at the moment even if it would be unfair.

Yeah you could be right that Marvel and Netflix is just trying to avoid someone using them as a scapegoat or a whipping boy. I wouldn't put it past some social media witch hunt against The Punisher happening. Good point that I hadn't considered.

I think this bears repeating: we're talking about a character who is known almost exclusively for mowing people down with an insane arsenal of guns less than a week after someone did exactly that.

Yes, the Punisher kills criminals. Yes, a lot of people probably wouldn't be even remotely offended. There are a lot of obvious differences but we all know it'd be the giant elephant in the room for everyone in the panel. You know it'd have to be addressed in some form or fashion and you know there'd be some kind of outrage/headlines about it, so cancelling the event outright seems like the best possible option for a variety of reasons.

EDIT: Thevileone beat me to it.

I mean if I was going to NYCC I'd definitely be angry about the cancellation. At the end of the day, this show, whatever it is, it's fiction. It's a work of fiction and not real life. And yeah works of fiction can be powerful, but it should still allowed to be seen and enjoyed by others.

But yeah, Marvel and Netflix might be seeing this as a situation where some press isn't good press.

I think this bears repeating: we're talking about a character who is known almost exclusively for mowing people down with an insane arsenal of guns less than a week after someone did exactly that.

Yes, the Punisher kills criminals. Yes, a lot of people probably wouldn't be even remotely offended. There are a lot of obvious differences but we all know it'd be the giant elephant in the room for everyone in the panel. You know it'd have to be addressed in some form or fashion and you know there'd be some kind of outrage/headlines about it, so cancelling the event outright seems like the best possible option for a variety of reasons.

I think you make good points here as well.

True...imagine the questions that for sure would've been asked...

Not 100% positive that there'd be a Q&A panel but if there was, you know it would've been brought up and it wouldn't have been pretty.

It really isn't about Frank Castle, it's about the guns themselves. I'm sure they had plenty of "fist pump" clips of Frank Castle executing and blowing away enemies. It's a glorification of gun violence when we are seriously reflecting on the damage it does to our society. Yes, the context is important, but the images of a guy mowing down people with a machine gun right after that horrifying video with the rapid "pop pop pop" and screaming bystanders is too much right now. It's absolutely the right move to not show up at NYCC.

It really isn't about Frank Castle, it's about the guns themselves. I'm sure they had plenty of "fist pump" clips of Frank Castle executing and blowing away enemies. It's a glorification of gun violence when we are seriously reflecting on the damage it does to our society. Yes, the context is important, but the images of a guy mowing down people with a machine gun right after that horrifying video with the rapid "pop pop pop" and screaming bystanders is too much right now. It's absolutely the right move to not show up at NYCC.

If the violence of the footage was the main issue, they could have had a panel without showing footage. SDCC panels don't always have exclusive footage.

Like others have said this is most likely about press. Marvel probably doesn't want some overly sensitive person to start a stupid witch hunt against the show. Best way to avoid that is to lay low right now. Its unfortunate, but I guess better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Public outrage flares up in social media pretty easily and it is near impossible to contain. I'm sure Marvel and Netflix are sensitive about the incident. In the business sense, having possibly a controversial series associated with negative hype would stigmatize the launch if not the whole thing. They would have to run PR explaining the minutia of the character and possibly justify something related to the series. Best to avoid it if possible.

I just hope they don't alter or pull any content in some way. I would hate to see the gun toting Las Vegas nutjob to hold story telling and artistic creativity hostage.

As soon as I heard the panel was cancelled, this was my first thought. I think it's more to do with the questions on gun violence in the media and their opinion on banning guns etc that caused them to cancel the panel. It's a conversation that is VERY divisive and perhaps they didn't want to put the cast in that situation at that particular event?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"