The Punisher The Punisher - General Discussion Thread

People are easily triggered and the show doesn't need the negative PR which would inevitably come from the NYCC panel. It was the right call.

Gee:

"One one hand, we can offend fans of our fictional, but violent anti-hero who will get to watch his show uncut in the near future anyways.

On the other hand, we can possibly offend the friends and families of actual people who were just killed and also offend the surviving, possibly maimed-for-life victims of a mass-shooting that JUST happened...

Who should I worry more about possibly offending? Who?"

:whatever:

Yea it makes sense to get some distance from the shooting. It hasn't even a been a week.

And beyond the sensitivity issue, It's just bad business. No one is going to have the stomach to see any acts of extreme gun violence for a while.

Time heals all wounds, and it's just a panel. It's not the show. Everyone stay calm.

Im not surprised they are doing this but its an overeaction. Unless The Punisher shoots up a bunch of innocent people during the season there was no reason to not have a panel at NYCC. The Punisher isnt the same as that psychopath that murdered those people in Vegas and its not like the show is going to be promoting people to go crazy with guns. At the very least they should have had the panel but not shown any footage of him shooting bad guys.

I would definitely have been uneasy if he was mowing down people with a machine gun who were trapped or otherwise helpless regardless of whether they classify them as a "bad guy."

I do agree it would have made sense to at least have him come out, discuss it briefly, and give a release date even if they aren't showing footage.

vernejgay
Have heard: Netflix will delay mid-Oct. launch of #ThePunisher (which also dropped out of #NYCC) until late fall, citing Las Vegas massacre.

More on #thepunisher: Netflix planned surprise drop this weekend; now pushed back to late fall. Trailer reveals why:

Makes sense that they would do this.
Both for business and respect.

It's not like the show is being cancelled.
No big deal.

I really feel like if they were going to release the whole series immediately after Comic-Con, but were delaying it, they should release it on Christmas Day as a special present for the viewers.

So they were gonna do the surprise release thing this weekend? I didnt expect for it to come out until November anyway but if they postpone it till like Christmas Im not gonna lie Im gonna be pretty upset...They should just have it so the hardcore fans can see it lol at this point I'll pay to watch it.

I'm completely cool with them pulling the NYCC panel, but for them to push the release date...now, THAT'S excessive. A large event that people there won't be able to completely avoid whether it be posters or things playing over the TV's and sound systems, that makes sense to me. But, you can completely avoid a release date. You simply don't watch the show. To me, that's a big difference. Maybe I'm crazy for seeing it that way, but I do.

I don't mind them pushing the release date back as long as it comes out this year. I think anything later than November could be a problem. Punisher isn't really a Christmas type show, so I would avoid December.

From a business point of view, you can get the right amount of distance from the tragedy, while maintaining the levels of hype if it comes out late October/mid-late November.

Maybe the week after Thor 3?

I don't mind them pushing the release date back as long as it comes out this year. I think anything later than November could be a problem. Punisher isn't really a Christmas type show, so I would avoid December.

From a business point of view, you can get the right amount of distance from the tragedy, while maintaining the levels of hype if it comes out late October/mid-late November.

Black Mirror isn't a Christmas-type show either. Dropping Punisher on December 25 is a great idea since it means that we'll get an awesome Christmas present from Marvel and Netflix.

Black Mirror isn't a Christmas-type show either. Dropping Punisher on December 25 is a great idea since it means that we'll get an awesome Christmas present from Marvel and Netflix.

Best Christmas ever

Why not? Die Hard, more or less, is often shown around the holidays. As with Gremlins, which is kind of scary for kids.....

What's wrong with November? Jessica Jones dropped in November.

Why not? Die Hard, more or less, is often shown around the holidays. As with Gremlins, which is kind of scary for kids.....

My thoughts exactly. Never announce the release date, drop it on Christmas as a surprise present.

For a service like Netflix it really doesn't matter when it premieres since they're model is different from tv. They don't rely on day one ratings for advertisers, they have a much better way of analyzing viewership and how it helps helps their subscription numbers. So "which month is best for it" doesn't really apply with Netflix.

I don't see the show being delayed longer than a week or two, unless there's a scene depicting a mass shooting, not just gun fights.

For the people that are disappointed this show is getting delayed, I think you’re being short sighted.

I imagine, you aren’t just going to want a single season of a Punisher show, you’re going to want 3, 4 5 seasons etc.

Bad shows can recover. Iron Fist for example had a poorly received, and frankly, poorly made first season. But that’s simple to fix. You get a new show runner, you change it up a bit, you respond to criticism.

If however your show is lambasted by critics, by social media, by respectable publications based purely on its initial premise, you’re in trouble.

And that’s what the Punisher is facing at the moment. If people draw comparisons between the show, it’s use of guns, and the commentary of someone taking justice into their own hands by using guns, the show could be DOA, no matter how good it turns out being.

If that damning reception can be avoided by postponing the show for a month or 2, fine.

‘Marvel made a bad show’ - Marvel can get over that.

‘Marvel made a show that is insensitive and tone deaf to the current issues, and in fact, the Punisher should not be glorified, this subject material shouldn’t be a tv show at all’ -
I can see the Punisher being a one and done. He might turn up in season 2 if Luke cage of Iron Fist so that he can be a more antagonistic role, so that the ‘heroic character’ can chastise him for his use of guns and killing.

Postpone the show, let this blow over, release the series to hopefully critical praise.

Also -

We don’t know the full contents of this show.

Wouldn’t be surprised if there is a scene where the Punisher, machine gun in hand, fires a hail of bullets in a group of criminals, possibly from a vantage point, a building.

If the people who made the show can see comparisons being made to a recent mass murder, and they think this might hobble the show right out of the gate, they’re going to postpone.

You’ve just spent a load of money making this show, you’re not going to want to give it a up hill struggle to be well received.

True. I stand corrected.

I feel it's important for them to release it this year anyway. I support them delaying the release, but if they drag it out, it kind of indirectly prolongs spotlight on the Vegas massacre.

The sooner we get back to regular scheduled programming, the sooner people can move on and heal.

True. I stand corrected.

I feel it's important for them to release it this year anyway. I support them delaying the release, but if they drag it out, it kind of indirectly prolongs spotlight on the Vegas massacre.

The sooner we get back to regular scheduled programming, the sooner people can move on and heal.

Agreed, it's kind of ironic that there was so much hype and mystery surrounding the release date only for a tragedy to happen close to the date they were getting ready to release it. All we really knew was that it was supposed to come out before the end of the year, but now people are speculating they'll delay it till next year.

If there is a lot of positive buzz created by the selected screenings, that might tip the scales back for the shows favor. Still hoping for the Veteran's Day weekend release. It would be justified as being linked to the Veterans and their distinguished service instead of the person on a killing spree shooting innocent civillians.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"