The Punisher ongoing discussion!

PunisherMAX has been so much more than the homeless angle. The Frank arc was awesome on how it broke down Frank after he got back from the war.

I have to say, I'm not a fan of Rucka's Punisher. Sure, it's better than FrankenCastle, but ANYTHING is better than that. The art in this is ugly (Punisher looks like he's in his 30's) and is too anime inspired. The whole Se7en angle isn't that good either. I really don't see this series lasting more than twenty issues. It's a shame, The Punisher is such a great character.

Hmm, well I enjoyed FrankenCastle. For one, I knew it wouldn't last and I could read regular Punisher stories in MAX. Also, it was well written. I haven't gotten a chance to read the new series yet, but from what I've seen and heard, it sounds great.

I think that in this run, Frank could share his thoughts, but besides that it has been great.

Last edited:
I like how Rucka uses Frank as sort of an angel of death, silent and stalking over the events going on. It's different and interesting.

Fantastic artwork! It's the best i have seen in the Punisher series.

I have to say, I'm not a fan of Rucka's Punisher. Sure, it's better than FrankenCastle, but ANYTHING is better than that. The art in this is ugly (Punisher looks like he's in his 30's) and is too anime inspired. The whole Se7en angle isn't that good either. I really don't see this series lasting more than twenty issues. It's a shame, The Punisher is such a great character.

As far as how Frank looks in the new series, I believe that has to do with how he was "cured" from the whole Frankencastle thing. Correct me if I'm wrong (I stopped reading War Journal), but wasn't Frank cured with the Bloodstone and it gave him the body of a man in his 30's versus 60's? Thought I read that somewhere.

(edit) or was it "In the Blood" that fixed the age issue.

Last edited:
Yes, Frank's got rejuvenated when he went to Monster Island to heal his wounds thanks to the Bloodstone. And "In The Blood" arc he is already in his midst 30's.

*Edit: Not Frank Castle, But Franken-Castle went to the island

Last edited:
Finally got my hands on this gem.

Here are some thoughts on the first 3 issues:

-Frank smiling at the end of issue one's main part...chilling.

-Love the overall art style and formatting. I can practically hear the music and sfx. The crazy and disorienting angles for te Vulture fight were a particular treat.

-Liking the minimal Frank monologs and reference to the past. We know ol' Frank well enough, we don't need this book to rehash the origin for 5 pages or the relaunch issue.

-Liking the young, almost mythical guardian-of-the-night Frank.

-I'm glad this has it's own spin from Ennis; while I liked his stuff, sometimes I wanted a different feel for Frank's world. I'm a guy who likes variety

-Holy crap at the end to the Vulture fight; It's very ghoulish the way Frank just accepts his injuries. It's not in a overpowered hero no-selling every thing or boringly invincible movie protagonist way, but it's like Frank is no longer human. He registers the pain for a sec and recognizes it, but thinks "This is nothing new, let's continue stabbing each other shall we?" It was rather chilling the way he just sat there checked to see if he's still alive and rolls over scaring Norah half to death.

-Norah's an interesting choice to go with and I like it. It's not some big huge distracting guest star, but she's recognizable to tie the world's together. On that note, I'm rather enjoying how they're adding touches of what's going on in the MU without either distancing themselves from everything or overloading us on the fact that this is the MU. A rather nice balance.

-Next issue looks like Norah's writing a retrospective piece on Frank hence the costume from the past. Reason being is the way it's framed of him in classic action, but fading into the picture of her typing up a story. Either way, worst case scenario, for me, even if he does put on the costume, it wouldn't be so bad due to the awesome art and I imagine it wouldn't be without reason for Rucka. So I'm guessing that only in a tiny capacity such as a flashback, would be see the ol' white boots.

Excellent book overall! Can't wait to see the future issues! :)

Glad your enjoying it! Yes it is rather good so should be interesting to see how it continues to develop. Looks like there will be some sort of big revelation about the exchange in Decembers issue 6 and in daredevils dec issue too. Quite interested about the upcoming crossover with DD too, DD owes Frank one for saving his hide in jail and then shadowland as well wonder if this will be referenced and the two books have quite a different style so wondering how it will go down.

Im thinking the reveal about the exchange will lead to big things for the 'big shots' next year interesting times...

Whats the deal with Norah dont really know anything about her so a summery would be appreciated!

good week next week with 616 Punisher and Max both out but that means no new Frank for weeks! Mustn't grumble :woot:

Oh yeah also really interested in how the bride continues to develop what will be the outcome there? a female punisher perhaps?

Not a female punisher again. The last time they tried it was a flop.

I could see her becoming a romantic interest for Frank. That'd be kind of novel. Frank's obviously shut himself off from that to some extent, but this woman has experienced the kind of trauma he has, she has military training, and I'm betting she's gonna eventually want payback. She could represent a potential love interest without Frank's having to give up his war on crime.

It could be interesting, as long as she doesn't end her story by straddling him and blowing her brains out. :dry: That was depressing and kinda...weird.

When did that happen? :huh:

The rather good Max arc that featured several mob widows teaming up to get back at Frank. It's been years since I read it, but he was put out of commission due to a previous injury or something, so he wasn't the one to end all the madness, but this one female character who was central to it all at the ends her story like that. It was twisted and tragic.

Oh yea; It was the Widowmaker arc with Jenny Cesare.

http://www.comicvine.com/the-punisher-widowmaker/39-55974/
http://www.comicvine.com/the-punisher-widowmaker-conclusion/37-112966/

Widowmaker was a great story. I don't know if this is what Spikes was referring to, if it is, he's nuts. The chick just put on the Punisher's shirt. It's not like she took up the mantle and waged a war on the mob. It was not an attempt to replace him long term.

I could see her becoming a romantic interest for Frank. That'd be kind of novel. Frank's obviously shut himself off from that to some extent, but this woman has experienced the kind of trauma he has, she has military training, and I'm betting she's gonna eventually want payback. She could represent a potential love interest without Frank's having to give up his war on crime.

Yeah thats kinda how I expect this to pan out too, perhaps she would be more bloodthirsty than Frank too, as the 'feamle of the species are more deadly than the male' so I expect this to develop in an interesting way. Also I wouldn't mind Frank forming a bond with a lady I know Ennis flirted with it on a couple of occasions but it would be interesting to see this avenue explored more. I consider Frank a loner but there are exceptions to every rule under the right circumstances...

Widowmaker was a great story. I don't know if this is what Spikes was referring to, if it is, he's nuts. The chick just put on the Punisher's shirt. It's not like she took up the mantle and waged a war on the mob. It was not an attempt to replace him long term.

No man, im talking about Lynn Michaels. Back in the early 90's when everybody thought Frank dead. And everyone tries to become the next Punisher.

Last edited:
Thats the one - she was most recently (that Im aware) in fractions punisher war journal as a shield agent. What a mess that arc was! :doh:

Most of 90's Punisher was god awful.

You said well most, not every arc. The only thing i complain from the 90's was Frank changing is skin color to black, when he joined with the mafia and the angelic stuff. Don't know what they were thinking...

... :dry: What are you guys talking about? The Punisher didn't exist in the 90s, he just disappeared December 31st 1989 at 11:59:59... and reappeared later...yea...that's it...must...live the lie...hnnngh. *denial complete*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"