Guardians of the Galaxy The Rate and Review Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Chris B

Sidekick
Reaction score
There wasn't a thread for this started and a few posters have already been able to see it. Just take the care to use spoiler tags everyone.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, I'd say there was more humour and even more character development in this film but the overall plot was slightly weaker than the first.

Overall, a great sequel and another win for Marvel!

Oh and the opening sequence is probably my favourite of any film ever, hilarious and just brilliantly designed.

Saw the movie in 3D yesterday on the largest IMAX screen in the country. What an AMAZING looking movie, absolutely recommend seeing it like that if you get a chance. There are many new worlds and characters introduced in this.

On balance I thought the movie was as good as the first though obviously less surprising seeing as we're not being introduced to the overall world or characters for the first time. Mantis is great, the quips from Drax are very funny. I was worried about Drax becoming over saturated on the comedy stuff but didn't quite feel that way by the end. Also really enjoyed Yondu's role in this movie, and Nebula/Gamora's relationship. And Quill just as solid this time around.

Ego as a character and everything in the story to do with him you could say is way out there, and deep comic book territory. I guess some of the general audience or parents not big on CBM could struggle with some of that?

I grew to like the music choices as the film went along but on balance I don't think I like them as much as the first movie, maybe not as memorable? Though the score part is easily as good. Repeat viewing may change things with the songs.

Baby Groot will be loved by many, a bit cringey for some. For instance there's a scene right at the beginning which you'll feel like that about. I fell somewhere in the middle as some scenes are cute and emotional. Oh, and Hasselhoff / Stallone, what more do you want?

Overall a 8.5/10 from me, about the same as the first.

Last edited:
I hope you're not saying baby groot dancing to Mr Blue Sky was cringeworthy because it most certainly was not. That was a wonderfully entertaining moment.

Anyway, great movie, lots of laughs and emotional scenes that keeps one engaged.

9/10

I thought we weren't talking spoilers here, but yes it was (to me) hated it. But I can see a lot of people liking it who aren't me. Kids, and people who like cute dancing things..

The movie is completely different from the first in plot and structure. There is more character interaction,more humour and more moments of sadness. The visuals are fantastic.The villains was awesome and very powerful. Yeah it's a bit of a slow burn but it leads towards one of Marvel's best third act. Since Age of Ultron got criticized for its final battle they consistently got it out of the park there. It's not as tight as the first but it's almost on par for me. Fun,big and emotional.

"I'm Mary Poppins!"

Last edited:
A worthy follow up to the first film, while perhaps not as focused and with as much great action as the first relies on the strong character interactions which will keep you entertained from start to finish. A decent villain as well which is a little different to the norm. The makers know what these films are about, dont take them too seriously and just have fun with it and its the better for it. 8/10

I'm wavering between a 6.5 and an 8 out of 10.

The
cameo
by
the Hoff
was
GENIUS!

I love the characters and the movie wisely focuses on them. But the plot wasn't particularly interesting and I was actually bored during the final battle. Something less of a spectacle would have suited the film better imo. Many of the jokes felt little too juvenile and wont work on rewatches.

The first movie is my third favorite in the MCU, whereas this is somewhere in the middle.

Loved it ! Enjoyed it as much as the first one,but for different reasons.

This one is a lot more emotional, because of where they go in terms of developing the characters' backstories. It's also funnier, a lot more laugh out loud moments.

Sure the story isn't an intricate web of plotlines, but really these movies are driven by the characters. Gunn creates a visually stunning world, but he knows that all the CGI razzle dazzle in the world doesn't count if we don't care about it the characters - it's characters that give a film its heart and GOTG vol 2 has plenty.

I gave it a 9/10, but I was very very close to giving it 10/10, and if I could vote again, probably would.

I was left extremely disappointed by this. I was expecting another interstellar action adventure, with the Guardians going on an adventure that leads them to different worlds while introducing us to more action set pieces and characters on the way.

Instead what we got was a boring, badly paced lacklustre film that doesn't even come close to the first. The soundtrack was uninspired and forgettable, the silly gold people are goofy as hell (especially when you see how they control pilot spacecraft in their world). The characters spend most of the time sitting and talking. it's a slow burn that leads to a CGI lightshow. Drax the DESTROYER spends a large amount of his screentime laughing at everything or sitting around what looks like the Alice in Wonderland set. Gunn seemed more interested in throwing CGI at the screen than actually developing a fun, entertaining story. There is no focus in this film. If there is, it's focused on the wrong things. The complete disconnect from the MCU hurts the film because there isn't a central McGuffin etc that the Guardians need to pursue that sets up the world/conflict like we saw in Guardians 1. Nothing like Xandar, Knowhere or even the Nova Corps are in this.

Making Ego Star-Lord's father was one of the most crucial mistakes, I think Gunn made. Had he gone with J'Son, we could've had a more interesting narrative and opportunities to visit yet another world in the MCU. Instead he forces a conflict that wasn't all that interesting to begin with.

This is a bloated sloppy mess. I really couldn't enjoy it. The most disappointing MCU film since Iron Man 3. 5/10

Last edited:
Yeah but it's so character-driven tho. No superhero movie ever has been as character-driven as this one. It's the most character-driven movie of all creation. There's no way Gunn could've made a movie that was as character-driven as this while still managing to tell a satisfying story. That would've been just impossible, as already proven by, say, the first GotG. Or TDK, Avengers, Winter Soldier, Logan...

No seriously, the more I think about this movie, the more disappointed I get. For the life of me, I can't think of any reason why I should rewatch it. Parts of it, sure, but in its entirety... not really.

found the first half of the film a little uneven/flat. I connected more with the last half hour. The soundtrack was a letdown for me and it detracted from the overall film with the exception of the last song. the humor lacked a bit of wit at times but overall solid as I enjoy the characters. I loved the first volume. This second volume gets a 6-7 out of ten on first impression. Clearly inferior

It was amazing and brought me to tears :( it was just soooo good. I didn't even like the first one but this one,I really liked it. Best superhero film of this year so far!

8/10

Yeah I got tears too in the end. Very emotional last act,probably one of Marvel's best.

It was amazing and brought me to tears :( it was just soooo good. I didn't even like the first one but this one,I really liked it. Best superhero film of this year so far!

8/10

Yeah I got tears too in the end. Very emotional last act,probably one of Marvel's best.

Very much on the same page. This film delved deeper than any Marvel film so far (except maybe Logan) it was the perfect balance of joy and pain.

I thought it was very fun and enjoyable, and surprisingly emotional at times too. Plot was very thin but the characters and their journeys were great so that's less of an issue than it would have been otherwise. There's definitely some pacing issues. Not sure where I'd compare it to the original. But I liked it.

Very much on the same page. This film delved deeper than any Marvel film so far (except maybe Logan) it was the perfect balance of joy and pain.

This. Despite the fact that we had 3 Iron Man and 2 Avengers movies prior to Civil war, the Tony-Steve battle wasn't as emotional to me as the scenes of
Yondu dieing and Ego revealing he planted the tumor

However regarding "perfect balance", I feel like some jokes were quite forced and not necessary. A little less on that front might have been better.

This. Despite the fact that we had 3 Iron Man and 2 Avengers movies prior to Civil war, the Tony-Steve battle wasn't as emotional to me as the scenes of
Yondu dieing and Ego revealing he planted the tumor

However regarding "perfect balance", I feel like some jokes were quite forced and not necessary. A little less on that front might have been better.

Personally, I had more laugh out loud moments in this movie than I have for a long long time.

Yondu's death was really well done, best death in a cbm for a long time.

Way better than the death of Xavier and Logan in that recent Fox movie.

Way better than the death of Xavier and Logan in that recent Fox movie.

Oh man, I was tempted to say that, but I could just imagine the backlash - although I totally agree. To be honest my one gripe with Logan is that his death feels a bit empty, whereas it should be a moment of profound redemption.

Yondu's death was all about redemption, when he puts his hands on Quill's face....emotional, and Chris Pratt totally sells the moment. Have to say that Yondu was one of the best characters of the film, while I wish they hadn't killed him off, the way they did it was perfect so I can't complain.

I feel like Xavier actually had a better death in Last stand....waits for gasps !

cheers :)

Yeah it was a gut punch. Way more than the ending of CW. Which is an achievement within itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"