Guardians of the Galaxy The Rate and Review Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Good movie overall. I felt some of the comedy was forced at times when it didn't need it. And it felt more like a musical too. Too many songs! But overall I liked it.

I just got back from GOTG 2 (Extended Lunch Break!) and I would like to add my name to the list of those who loved the sequel more than the first film. Great characters, lots of humor, awesome music, fantastic visuals, wonderful villains (I'm including Ayesha!) and moments of honest emotion. Let Marvel Studio's formula of consistently turning out terrific films never be changed.

I like the way Gunn avoided the mass-murder of thousands of ships this time around by making it like a video game, where the ships are destroyed, but nobody gets hurt.

I just got back from GOTG 2 (Extended Lunch Break!) and I would like to add my name to the list of those who loved the sequel more than the first film. Great characters, lots of humor, awesome music, fantastic visuals, wonderful villains (I'm including Ayesha!) and moments of honest emotion. Let Marvel Studio's formula of consistently turning out terrific films never be changed.

Did you vote for GotG2?

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=529643

I like the way Gunn avoided the mass-murder of thousands of ships this time around by making it like a video game, where the ships are destroyed, but nobody gets hurt.

I think this decision fit the tone of the movie, overall. Those villains wouldn't really put themselves out on the line like that anyway, so having them fight like this made sense for their characters.

Also, it gave the ending a "video arcade-like" feel to everything, which totally fits with the retro/80's throwback vibes to the movie. I liked it. :up:

I think this decision fit the tone of the movie, overall. Those villains wouldn't really put themselves out on the line like that anyway, so having them fight like this made sense for their characters.

Also, it gave the ending a "video arcade-like" feel to everything, which totally fits with the retro/80's throwback vibes to the movie. I liked it. :up:

Exactly. The loss in the previous movie gave the entire thing a little bit more importance. Vol. 2 was much more intimate but still with big consequences.

(He still killed a bunch of ravagers though...)

Just finished my 2nd viewing (alone, 1st was with family) and put this right at 8/10. The movie was very entertaining and Yondu's redemption hit like a Mack truck. Some things felt repetitive (situational music) and some jokes were just a little too forced. I questioned Ego's use in the film but thought Gunn did a really good job incorporating this character.

Yondu vs Logan? Oh man what a debate, but executed totally different, imo . I cried like a 5 year old girl watching Bambi @ Logan. As a father myself, I felt nothing but sadness there with Logan losing the chance at fatherhood. With Yondu, the tears were there but the sadness was accompanied by happiness with redemption in the eyes of the son. Both were done very well......

Anyone else immediately think of the "IT" episode in SouthPark after seeing the Sovereign space pod control stations? :D :D

The more I think about this movie the more I love it and think it is better than the first, this ones a grower. For me at least. At first I was on the fence if I loved it more than the first, gave it an 8.5, but I'm up to a 9 right now.

Well, I am glad to say Vol.2 stands up to repeat viewing, loved it just as much 2nd time and still think it's up there with the first movie as one of Marvels best.

Well, I am glad to say Vol.2 stands up to repeat viewing, loved it just as much 2nd time and still think it's up there with the first movie as one of Marvels best.

Very same page dude, it was just as emotional the second time, especially the ending - in fact a bit moreso knowing what was going to happen.

It's as good as the first. 5 stars. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

A very strong 7 for me. Though it's not as good as Vol 1, I will say excluding Winter Soldier and Civil War, Vol 2 is by far the best sequel that Marvel Studios has produced.

Very same page dude, it was just as emotional the second time, especially the ending - in fact a bit moreso knowing what was going to happen.

Yeah the ending was great. The [BLACKOUT]death scene and funeral [/BLACKOUT]didnt quite match Logan's for me, but it was still damn good.

very cool overall, A-

I enjoyed Pom Klementeiff's Mantis very much. I like how they did her eyes anime' style. I hope she gets more to do in the next film, and maybe they'll show her combat skills. I'm sure whatever else I see her in will be drastically different, but I enjoyed this performance for sure.

It took me a some time to 'get' that Ego was apparently being set up as the villain. I thought it was going to be Taserface for a while, or some other overlord type who had yet to be introduced.

Ego's villainy was definitely a slow reveal, for sure, I think that was best. It's almost too bad that he's presumably busted up to bits by the end of the movie.

I didn't understand what Gamora and Nebula had discovered in the caves at first, but I guess it didn't have to be explicitly said.

Nebula's arc was admirable; the sequence with the strafing run was bonkers! She really just wanted to off her that much? Geeeeeezzz... And we get hints of just how sadistic Thanos is, apparently gradually making her a cyborg for losing fights.. Whoa..

Drax's character gets surprisingly more developed to show deeper character development, I figured they'd leave him one-note, but kudos.

Wow, Michael Rooker's Yondu got a lot more development this time, it was a good showcase for him. As much as the arrow is kind of a deus ex machina, it fit well for the escape sequence.

Stallone? Rhames? Yeoh? Oh-kay. It's certainly a hoot that these actors thought well enough of the franchise to have some cameos; Stallone in particular.

So with this mid-credits thing, I guess they're hinting at the 'OG Ravagers' having a presence in part 3. Off the top of my head, I don't see Marvel/Disney Studios banking $150+ million for a spinoff tentpole film of 'The Expendables in Space'.

I hope part 3 shows everybody working together as one unit, though the squabbling can still show up in parts.

not quite 'murder' if these people are chasing with the intent to kill you, ;) but the point is taken.

The Sovereign would be the type of egotists to feel that they are too perfect to risk their bodies in space combat, hence the drones. Also a vague commentary on trending contemporary warfare tactics.

Saw it a second time. It's still a little slow in the middle but Yondu's sacrifice is just as effective. Gamora had nothing to do in the third act.

7/10 for me.

Saw it this morning. While I enjoyed it, it had a ton of problems, many of which that continued on from the first film. First and foremost is that there are just so many moments of wooden/awkward performances from the cast. I don't know if it's the actors, direction, or writing, or a mix of the three, but there were just so many moments that were unintentionally cringeworthy.

I also think they tried everything way too hard: forcing dancing sequences (the opening wasn't funny and got old quickly), try-too-hard jokes (so many fell flat at my theater I found myself giving sympathy chuckles), all the clumsy foreshadowing made me know exactly what was going to happen; and most importantly, hitting us over the head by making every single character interaction some soul-bearing "look at how deep we really are, now cry!" moments. You can accomplish what you need to accomplish with the characters without making it so frequent and on the nose. It just got old and made later scenes feel less earned or even adequately resolved.

That's most of the major complaints. I did enjoy stuff as well. I liked Mantis, Yondu, and Ego (I was really pleased/impressed with how they handled everything about him). I dug all the cameos (Stan!!!!), and appreciated that they tried to make a "smaller" more character-driven sequel (even if I think they largely stumbled with it). And of course, I loved the art direction.

Overall, I would never call it a bad movie. It swung for the fences, which I can't complain about, but in doing so, it got more strikes than it needed to or should have.

7/10 for me.

Saw it this morning. While I enjoyed it, it had a ton of problems, many of which that continued on from the first film. First and foremost is that there are just so many moments of wooden/awkward performances from the cast. I don't know if it's the actors, direction, or writing, or a mix of the three, but there were just so many moments that were unintentionally cringeworthy.

I also think they tried everything way too hard: forcing dancing sequences (the opening wasn't funny and got old quickly), try-too-hard jokes (so many fell flat at my theater I found myself giving sympathy chuckles), all the clumsy foreshadowing made me know exactly what was going to happen; and most importantly, hitting us over the head by making every single character interaction some soul-bearing "look at how deep we really are, now cry!" moments. You can accomplish what you need to accomplish with the characters without making it so frequent and on the nose. It just got old and made later scenes feel less earned or even adequately resolved.

That's most of the major complaints. I did enjoy stuff as well. I liked Mantis, Yondu, and Ego (I was really pleased/impressed with how they handled everything about him). I dug all the cameos (Stan!!!!), and appreciated that they tried to make a "smaller" more character-driven sequel (even if I think they largely stumbled with it). And of course, I loved the art direction.

Overall, I would never call it a bad movie. It swung for the fences, which I can't complain about, but in doing so, it got more strikes than it needed to or should have.

Interesting, I pretty much felt the exact opposite to everything you said. I've found the performances pretty top notch this go around (especially Yondu and Drax), though I did feel Starlord and Gamora didn't have as much to work with. I thought the intro was a perfect way to open the movie, continued the tone, and was a nice subversion of this genre, in which almost any movie would have focused on the action sequence. This film focuses on the characters, and that's why it works.

I do think the overall narrative wasn't as tight as the first film, and as such it feels it a bit more meandering in the middle, but the emotional core was higher...if again, not as focused. At times the comedy was brought in too quickly to off set the dramatic moments, but overall, this is easily Marvel's 2nd best sequel attempt , with Winter Soldier still being the best 2nd film they've made so far.

Was left disappointed with this film, I enjoyed the character building and the cosmic universe world building but the forced juvenile humour and cartoonish effects really took me out of this one, I love humour especially in Guardians but it's like having too much chocolate, eventually it starts to taste sickly, all the characters had to be funny and when I say all the characters I mean ALL THE CHARACTERS!! The only serious characters were Gamora and Nebula and even Nebula had an eye rolling moment as well. The Ravagers were like Saturday morning cartoon villains and I couldn't take the emotional scenes seriously.

9/10

Put me in the camp that places this as BETTER than the first.

While not perfect, it was exactly what I wanted from the next installment of this franchise. More character depth and a deeper exploration of the relationships crudely established in the first film. The theme of family was front and center and handled with complexity as well as their signature fun. Bottom line, this movie is pure fun from start to finish with the resolution packing a far more emotional punch than I was expecting. Visually, the movie is amazing. The humor wasn't too much because it fit each character. Overall, the story and depth are far better here than Volume One .

Yeah I'm more insync with your review on each of your points. Just the right amounts of everything you want in a fun space adventure. It walks the line but never falls over into "too much" of anything you don't want... in other words, it was a very balanced movie. I also agree it's better than Vol.1.

I really liked the first film. And I don't want to sound like an MCU hater but this one was like 5.5/10 at best.

In one word, or two words with a dash, or whatever that is: half-baked.

The undercooked story severely undermined some very good emotional moments which could have been just fantastic and heart-breaking and... they weren't. Again the villain was significantly under-written, yet again with a huge potential to be stellar. Majority of jokes were total misses for me, unfortunately. And TBH, I was quite bored a lot of time actually, it was just underdeveloped, all over the place... It felt like there's a lot of awesome things in the film just waiting to be dug out. So many great ideas that never truly materialized.

What really surprised me was I left the cinema with feeling that Drax was actually the best character in the whole film. :woot: Maybe I'll raise the rating after some rewatches, it felt like the film truly tried to be about something important, but the things between characters that were supposed to elevate the whole material just did not work.

The visuals and designs were great. I liked the score too, have to listen to it without the picture to see if I like it like I like the one from the original. :woot:

Damn, that's really going to hurt perception moving forward.

I'll preface this by saying I was not a fan of the first film. I know that's a minority opinion, but I found it be extremely immature and thought James Gunn tried to hard to bite Whedon in certain spots. It was also a very claustrophobic feeling film.

GOTG2 overall was an improvement. They dialed down the obnoxiousness (particularly with Quill) and gave the movie some sentimental value, which the first one completely lacked IMO. It's also extremely beautiful to look at - perhaps Marvel's most eye popping film. Can you imagine How Thor: Ragnarok and Infinity War are going to look? Strangely enough I enjoyed the Sovereign more than I thought I would - especially Ayesha.

My gripes are it's bloated pig. It has major pacing and focus issues that disrupt the natural flow of things. James Gunn clearly has carte blanche with this franchise and he was trying to establish far too many interpersonal backstories to the point of it getting cheesy. Almost like "Wouldn't it be cool if!" and then "Well what about doing that?" as if he has attention deficit disorder. The ending suffers from it. I wish they would hire an actual screenwriter instead of letting Gunn have his way with the dialogue because he struggles. Penis jokes? Drax's turds? Really? Why do Ravagers send off their dead with fireworks worthy of a Sweet 16 party? Btw the Gamora/Nebula relationship is awful - especially the acting on the part of Karen Gillian.

At any rate - the charm is there, the world building was amazing (God bless all involved in bringing those other words and species to life), and again top notch visuals.

I give it a 7.0.

Last edited:
Interesting, I pretty much felt the exact opposite to everything you said. I've found the performances pretty top notch this go around (especially Yondu and Drax), though I did feel Starlord and Gamora didn't have as much to work with. I thought the intro was a perfect way to open the movie, continued the tone, and was a nice subversion of this genre, in which almost any movie would have focused on the action sequence. This film focuses on the characters, and that's why it works.

I do think the overall narrative wasn't as tight as the first film, and as such it feels it a bit more meandering in the middle, but the emotional core was higher...if again, not as focused. At times the comedy was brought in too quickly to off set the dramatic moments, but overall, this is easily Marvel's 2nd best sequel attempt , with Winter Soldier still being the best 2nd film they've made so far.

I will certainly agree that Michael Rooker was a stand out performance. And while I'd still consider Batista's work mediocre, there was a marked improvement. But the other major players, specifically Gamora, Nebula, and Quill, had some of the clunkiest scenes/moments of bad acting of the entire MCU. They're all decent to good actors, so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's the fault of the writing. Gun needs to get better with dialogue.

I will certainly agree that Michael Rooker was a stand out performance. And while I'd still consider Batista's work mediocre, there was a marked improvement. But the other major players, specifically Gamora, Nebula, and Quill, had some of the clunkiest scenes/moments of bad acting of the entire MCU. They're all decent to good actors, so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's the fault of the writing. Gun needs to get better with dialogue.

Yeah, that I don't agree with at all. I agree that Gamora, Nebula, and Quill didn't have quite as much material to work with, but at no point did they feel as empty as some of the Dark World performances, or as half realized as some of the IM2 characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"