Guardians of the Galaxy The Rate and Review Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

I actually thought Pratt struggled with the dramatic beats in GOTG2. Felt pretty flat to me.

Yeah I like Pratt a lot, but I have yet to really see him do well with any dramatic parts.

Yeah, that I don't agree with at all. I agree that Gamora, Nebula, and Quill didn't have quite as much material to work with, but at no point did they feel as empty as some of the Dark World performances, or as half realized as some of the IM2 characters.
*shrug* I stand by my opinion. They were by far the weakest performances of the film, if not the entire MCU. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

*shrug* I stand by my opinion. They were by far the weakest performances of the film, if not the entire MCU. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

The Gamora/Nebula dynamic is DEFINITELY corny and forced.

That's fair. I don't see it that way, but I do agree they were the characters given the flimsiest stuff to work with. The difference is that even with flimsier writing, I still find it to be of high quality compared to other superhero films.

One major criticism is if they are going to talk about Gamora and Nebula fighting each other as kids, why not show it instead via flashbacks. At least one wouldn't have been too difficult.

Also, they definitely telegraphed too much about Ego by having Mantis anxious around him from the beginning.

They nailed it with the Yondu arc though. Shame he won't make it to GOTG3. Will be interesting to see whether the whole team or just part of them make it into Avengers: Infinity War.

One major criticism is if they are going to talk about Gamora and Nebula fighting each other as kids, why not show it instead via flashbacks. At least one wouldn't have been too difficult.

It's because Gunn is overly reliant on verbal exposition and tries to cram to much.

Finally got around seeing this, I enjoyed it. I think it's a perfect representation of just a 'good' movie. It was solid, that's all, nothing to run home about. Be a good movie to pop in when hanging out with people as background noise.

7/10 for me.

Saw it this morning. While I enjoyed it, it had a ton of problems, many of which that continued on from the first film. First and foremost is that there are just so many moments of wooden/awkward performances from the cast. I don't know if it's the actors, direction, or writing, or a mix of the three, but there were just so many moments that were unintentionally cringeworthy.

I also think they tried everything way too hard: forcing dancing sequences (the opening wasn't funny and got old quickly), try-too-hard jokes (so many fell flat at my theater I found myself giving sympathy chuckles), all the clumsy foreshadowing made me know exactly what was going to happen; and most importantly, hitting us over the head by making every single character interaction some soul-bearing "look at how deep we really are, now cry!" moments. You can accomplish what you need to accomplish with the characters without making it so frequent and on the nose. It just got old and made later scenes feel less earned or even adequately resolved.

That's most of the major complaints. I did enjoy stuff as well. I liked Mantis, Yondu, and Ego (I was really pleased/impressed with how they handled everything about him). I dug all the cameos (Stan!!!!), and appreciated that they tried to make a "smaller" more character-driven sequel (even if I think they largely stumbled with it). And of course, I loved the art direction.

Overall, I would never call it a bad movie. It swung for the fences, which I can't complain about, but in doing so, it got more strikes than it needed to or should have.

Very well said. You've pretty much summed up all my thoughts on the film. :applaud:applaud

I gave it a 6. I thought it had some very strong things going on, but overall it was quite messy. I also think that as the leader, Peter should be more interesting and he was the least interesting Guardian this time around.

Still a good film that I'd watch again, but not as spectacular as I had hoped.

Finally got around to watching GOTG 2 last night

Entertaining, action packed, and definitely had a lot more funnier moments in the moments compared to the 1st

However, I enjoy the 1st film a lot better. For starters, the 1st movie actually has a cohesive plot. Something that the 2nd film lacked and it felt rushed at times.

Kurt Russell did a great job but I hated how he ended up being the villain. Drax and Rocket were definitely the stars of this movie. Both were hilarious! The one character that had the best arc wasn't even one of the main Guardians but it was Yondu. Michael Rooker went out with a bang

Hope to see a spinoff film focusing and Sly Stallone's character and the rest of the Ravagers crew

All in all, I give the movie a 6.5/10

Saw in 3D yesterday and was really, really impressed with the film. I thought it was a lot deeper than the original, but also found a way to be funnier. We got an introduction to the Guardians in the last film, but with this one, we got a deeper feel for them individually. There was plenty of character growth from the Guardians as well as Nebula and Yondu...there weren't many "cut and paste" characters.

The story and plot were really solid, the effects were amazing, and the soundtrack was on point. It wasn't a perfect film, but it was everything it needed to be and more.

Baby Groot pretty much stole the film, you could just show his scenes alone and still find entertainment. Drax continues to say the most WTF things and it doesn't feel stale or forced. Rocket was Rocket, and probably showed the 2nd most development in the film. Nebula and Yondu were amazing, each took their storyline and played on real emotions and you changed your way of seeing them.

GOTGv2 knew what works for it's franchise and doesn't try to change things up...it built on it.

Loved this film, almost so much, that I don't want to see a third attempt.

Finally got around seeing this, I enjoyed it. I think it's a perfect representation of just a 'good' movie. It was solid, that's all, nothing to run home about. Be a good movie to pop in when hanging out with people as background noise.

can't see the enjoyment of something you actually aren't paying attention to. That's me. Do I put on background music in my life sometimes? Sure. Would I say said background music is good, or of a high quality ect.? I mean, a film that's unnecessary to pay attention to feels like a movie that's maybe not reached it's potential?

GOTG Vol 2 was good. I am tempted to say it's very good but the damn movie flew too close to the Sun with the humor bits. Most of the humor was f**kin atrocious. It was pure caricature/parody at times. So much so that I really thought Ayesha LOLing at Taserface was a clear attempt at trolling me. Like they sincerely wanted me to facepalm/scratch my head in disbelief.

Baby Groot was just annoying. The Sovereign just fizzled out without doing anything.

However, the movie does really well with the nice and quiet moments. The development of the Gamora and Nebula relationship was done very well. Mantis was very good. Her chemistry with Drax was nice. Ego was an interesting villain. Stallone was good in his short role.

Yondu killed it. Michael Rooker was fantastic. His arc was the one that moved me in the end and I wasn't expecting that at all.

The visuals was weirdly good. Gunn embraced the full weirdness of the cosmic universe and it was amazing. Even tho I watched an online version of the movie, the visuals still looked very good.

Stellar. A complete 10. Not just my favorite Marvel movie, but probably my favorite movie overall.

Enjoyed it more than the first one and that's saying a lot.

Finally watched it. A solid 8. I enjoyed it for the most part, but some jokes should have been kept on the cutting room floor. Ending was great, made me actually tear up.

Finally watched it. A solid 8. I enjoyed it for the most part, but some jokes should have been kept on the cutting room floor. Ending was great, made me actually tear up.

Yes. As much as I really like this film, some of the humor was a little forced, when in the first one it was all much more natural.

While I really enjoyed the de-aging effects, isn't Ego thousands of years old? Why would he age so much in just 30 years?

IIRC, he outright said "I aged my avatar up so he wouldn't seem so weird to you". Ego's avatars look as old as Ego wants them to look.

Watched this finally over the past three nights.

This was a mixed bag. There are parts I like, and parts I dislike. The first part of the film seems rather empty with a thin plot. There were still some good character moments though, but I found it picked up more in the 3rd act. Much of the first and second acts seem like a series of skits strung together with a paper thin plot.

The whole film feels like a live action cartoon. And I don't mean a cartoon like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes or Justice League. I mean a Looney Tunes cartoon. Or it could be like a live action Lego Movie or Lego Batman movie, or a live action Ultimate Spider-Man movie.

Baby Groot was the best part of the movie and I found his scenes the most watchable. I would've preferred that he stayed as Baby Groot for all future films.

Rocket doesn't seem quite as endearing as before.

Drax was like a different character to the first film. I wish that he still didn't understand metaphor and didn't get jokes. I also found that he looked like a grey and scarred John Campea.

Mantis looked pretty repulsive. I didn't like what they did to her at all. She was quite a hot character in the comics, but not appealing whatsoever in the movies. I could've completely done without her character. Even her personality is completely changed.

Yondu was better this time round than before with a more fleshed out character.

The soundtrack didn't seem very memorable compared to the last film. There was nothing on the level of Hooked on a Feeling.

A mixed bag is definitely the best way to describe this film. Hopefully Gunn takes his time with Vol. 3. and leaves this franchise behind for some original projects afterwards.

A mixed, mostly good and at times very good bag.
Agreed that Gunn should have reined himself in a tad, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it.
7 / 10.

I felt some of it seemed a bit like Ocean's 12, where it was almost just scenes of them hanging out and doing nothing but bantering for the sake of bantering, with nothing much going on at all. It wasn't as bad as Ocean's 12, but some of the early parts of the film did feel like it was nearly straying into that territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"