Guardians of the Galaxy The Rate and Review Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

I get what Gunn was trying to do though. A more character-driven story, which in itself is perfectly fine. But following what was arguably one of the best sci-fi/fantasy/space opera films of our time, expectations were high. I guess he did more than ok, all things considered. Could've been better? Sure. But at the same time, it could've been much worse, which we know that's something that is more likely to happen.

I think he could've still had a character-driven story, but had the plot be a bit stronger, and maybe toned down certain elements. It's not like, if it had been at the level of the first movie, it would've been bad at all. I think the first film had a better balance.

I think he could've still had a character-driven story, but had the plot be a bit stronger, and maybe toned down certain elements. It's not like, if it had been at the level of the first movie, it would've been bad at all. I think the first film had a better balance.

Yeah, I agree. Ego felt like a one-note thing, with no much else to offer. In fact, both him and Quill are practically doing nothing in the second act of the film.

I still prefer Vol. 2 over the first one largely because of the character stuff, but regarding the plot, I think it's worth pointing out that the plot was Nicole Perlman's primary contribution to the first one (since Gunn reportedly added secondary characters and re-wrote pretty much all the dialogue/character moments when he came on board), so perhaps it's her presence being missed in this one.

Last edited:
The problem is that it takes forever for the main plot to get going. So for most of the film, random stuff is just happening that doesn't really connect much to other stuff. And then the plot is nothing special when it does happen.

Really Ego only works as a good (but not great) villain for me because of Kurt Russell's performance. Put another actor in there and I probably would have found him rather boring overall.

Also I feel like, as much as the Quill/Yondu thing was sold by the actors, it was undercut somewhat by the fact that through two movies, those two spend the majority of their time away from each other. Having them interact more would have helped imo.

Ego becomes a good villain once it is revealed what he did, which is truly awful and somewhat imaginative, I'll give them props for that.

Eh it was your pretty typical "evil godlike being wants to take over because he thinks that he's better than everyone else" type of deal.

Eh it was your pretty typical "evil godlike being wants to take over because he thinks that he's better than everyone else" type of deal.

Yeah sure, the threat needs to be big (they are the Guardians of the GALAXY, after all) but I meant that bit about him impregnating different species and how that ties with Quill and her mother. I thought it was interesting.

Why did Kurt Russell morph into a present-day David Hasselhoff?

Peter Quill was taken during the 1980s around the time of Knight Rider. He doesn't know what the Hoff of 2017 looks like. Wouldn't he wonder why he's an old man now? Shouldn't he have morphed into the Hoff of the 80s with the bigger hair and who looks much younger?

Quill doesn't even know about Baywatch.

And Ego hasn't visited Earth since the 80s, presumably, since after the time Quill's mother died. He shouldn't know what the Hoff looks like today.

They could have used their de-aging technology to de-age Hasselhoff like they did for Kurt Russell.

Why did Kurt Russell morph into a present-day David Hasselhoff?

Peter Quill was taken during the 1980s around the time of Knight Rider. He doesn't know what the Hoff of 2017 looks like. Wouldn't he wonder why he's an old man now? Shouldn't he have morphed into the Hoff of the 80s with the bigger hair and who looks much younger?

Quill doesn't even know about Baywatch.

And Ego hasn't visited Earth since the 80s, presumably, since after the time Quill's mother died. He shouldn't know what the Hoff looks like today.

They could have used their de-aging technology to de-age Hasselhoff like they did for Kurt Russell.
They could have....but why bother? Ego clearly aged his own appearance from the one he had on Earth in the past. He chose an older one because he was approaching Peter as his father and looking in a somewhat similar age range wouldn't get that feeling across. So why couldn't he just age the appearance of David Hasselhoff to what he'd imagine he would look like after all those years?

You can make an argument of why he'd pick a younger Hasselhoff, but it isn't like he had to change himself to a younger Hasselhoff. And while Ego hasn't been to Earth we don't know that he hasn't met anyone that has. For all we know he ran into a Hasselhoff fanboy with up to date photos recently :D.

Plus it isn't like Peter is stupid. In a situation like that he isn't going to care that his father took the appearance of Hasselhoff or that he doesn't look like he did in the 1980s. Plus...I'm sure Peter can understand the concept of aging and that David Hasselhoff does not presently look like he did when Peter was a child.

The real answer is probably that they didn't want to spend the money on something extremely unimportant. De-aging Kurt Russell had plot relevance of looking the age he looks there. A quick transformation into David Hasselhoff doesn't require him to look young. No point using the production budget on something that you don't need to do.

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 for the first time On Demand over the weekend and am looking forward to picking it up on Blu-ray. It's weird to think that the writer of Tromeo and Juliet now makes some of the most entertaining family movies and successful scifi franchise. I'm generally not a fan of big CGI movies but this is one of the few exceptions. I thought it was a pretty strong sequel and for the most part felt it was on par with the original. However I think some of the dialogue that was meant as humorous was not only unfunny but kind of bad. (Not all of it was though.) The soundtrack was great as to be expected. Visually the art direction was beautiful and trippy. There was so much going on I feel I will need to watch it a few times to catch everything. The story is fun and exciting and full of comic easter eggs. I thought Michael Rooker gave an excellent performance and the ending was genuinely touching.
The reveal that Ego was Peter's father worked despite it not being comic accurate. There are a bunch of fun cameos. I really liked the Stan Lee scenes with the Watcher and the David Hasselhoff appearance was unexpected.
One of the things this made me excited for is seeing Robert Downey Jr interact with Rocket in the next Avengers sequel.

Watched again at home this time, still such an awesome sequel. It doesn't quite beat the first movie for me both both of them are 2 of the MCU's best movies imo. Gunn is awesome and I can't wait for the 3rd movie.

Even if it doesn't quite reach the levels of the first one, it is still an achievement what James Gunn has created almost from scratch. I know he co-wrote the first one but he brought a lot of new and different things to the table, which is why Marvel hired him. But he has this entire thing on his shoulders and they're actually really fresh and well done. Gotta give kudos for that.

Even if it doesn't quite reach the levels of the first one, it is still an achievement what James Gunn has created almost from scratch. I know he co-wrote the first one but he brought a lot of new and different things to the table, which is why Marvel hired him. But he has this entire thing on his shoulders and they're actually really fresh and well done. Gotta give kudos for that.

Absolutely. Even as a fan of the comics, he has changed things from them that I haven't liked the sound of on paper. But in the movies they are so well done I just can't help but role with it. I heard he is going to change Rockets origin, which disappointed me at first, then I thought about all the other changes that have worked and just accepted it. That alone is credit to Gunn.

Watched it again this evening, I think I'm liking it more and more. That Yondu funeral scene is utterly brilliant.

Rewatched on Netflix. Doesn’t hold up quite as well for me.

First, I didn’t care for the Ravagers storyline when I first saw it, and it gets worse now. They are just too campy to be taken seriously. They are supposed to be these dangerous outlaws, but they make stupid jokes and act like they stepped out of a bad dinner theater show. I really hope Sean Gunn’s character isn’t a big part of the next one. He’s a horrible actor.

And the guardians are separated 90% of the movie. And when they are together, they just bicker instead of showing a bond that was developing after the first movie. It’s like they just reset any development. And it’s clear Gunn didn’t know how to write them as an offensive team in the third act. Quill fights Ego, and the rest are just there.

And Kurt Russell was wasted. He’s just exposition until the third act reveal.

It just wasn’t as fun as the first one. Too many jokes fall flat, especially the ones that try to punctuate a scene.

To be fair, they are fighting a planet, lol! Not much the others can honestly do, plus they do get their moments to shine during the 3rd act.

Been rewatching MCU prepping for my xmen to join. This movie is way better than gotg1. I hate origin Films with a passion. Love this movie

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"