The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mask again is iconic so I'd like them to stay close to that, but articulate the jaw peice so his mouth can move when he speaks.

This could be a tricky little detail. The jaw does seem to move in the comics, but they also tend to give him expressions that change with his mood. The thought of Ultron-like movement makes me cringe, but a rigid, skull-like opening and closing could be cool if done right.

Honestly, the first photo of Julian McMahon behind the mask with wide, staring eyes was pretty cool... but then the effect was ruined with the rest of the costume and terrible dialogue.

This could be a tricky little detail. The jaw does seem to move in the comics, but they also tend to give him expressions that change with his mood. The thought of Ultron-like movement makes me cringe, but a rigid, skull-like opening and closing could be cool if done right.

Honestly, the first photo of Julian McMahon behind the mask with wide, staring eyes was pretty cool... but then the effect was ruined with the rest of the costume and terrible dialogue.
I'm only thinking of the jaw piece so his traditional grilled mouth opening can widen & narrow as he speaks.

To the average audience, Dr. Strange is no more or less stupid than Dr. Doom. I certainly have never met anyone in real life with the last name Strange. Its a comic book thing and these are comic book movies. I think the audience will accept it as such and move on.

Drawing too much attention to it by trying to point out the comic book absurdity of the name in any film Doom appeared in would likely backfire and work against Marvel. Don't make a big deal out of the name. Just have the name, and make the character so awesome that the name never becomes an issue, and then it won't be a problem.

The writer of Superman: The Movie said it best; "the worst thing you can do is try to prove to the audience that you are smarter then the material".

Last edited:
They can definitely do it. Marvel did something similar with Spider-Man

It can't have been as cool as trashbag Doom for you. :o

Smurphftw said:
Strange is a fairly common surname. I have yet to hear of anyone with the surname of "Doom" in the real world.

It's not an unsolvable problem, but comparing Strange with Doom and saying they are the same thing is absurd.

Well this guy comes pretty close: British comedian Melvyn ODoom.

Melvin-Odoom-623x830.jpg

I haven't really researched whether there are people with the name Doom. Just that Melvyn ODoom came to mind immediately.

To the average audience, Dr. Strange is no more or less stupid than Dr. Doom. I certainly have never met anyone in real life with the last name Strange. Its a comic book thing and these are comic book movies. I think the audience will accept it as such and move on.

Drawing too much attention to it by trying to point out the comic book absurdity of the name in any film Doom appeared in would likely backfire and work against Marvel. Don't make a big deal out of the name. Just have the name, and make the character so awesome that the name never becomes an issue, and then it won't be a problem.

The writer of Superman: The Movie said it best; "the worst thing you can do is try to prove to the audience that you are smarter then the material".

There are people with the name Strange in real life. I used to know a couple.

And if you go on Facebook you'll find tons of people with that name.

Even Stephen Strange isn’t a rare name. The difference between Strange and Doom is that it isn’t a ridiculous compliment for a hero like a Super or Wonder prefix or something like Darth Badass for a villain. That’s what’s particularly on the nose about those kinds of names.

Even Stephen Strange isn’t a rare name. The difference between Strange and Doom is that it isn’t a ridiculous compliment for a hero like a Super or Wonder prefix or something like Darth Badass for a villain. That’s what’s particularly on the nose about those kinds of names.

It's only because people think of the word "strange" and then associate it with mystery or weirdness in relation to magic and sorcery.

But it's no different really to having someone raised in the jungle among apes named Fred Savage instead of Tarzan?

Would people then think that Savage is not a real name?

Drawing too much attention to it by trying to point out the comic book absurdity of the name in any film Doom appeared in would likely backfire and work against Marvel. Don't make a big deal out of the name.

Exactly! The moments in these films in which small-minded film-makers feel they need to explain things are incredibly cringe-inducing.

Fox spends a lot more time changing and trying to explain things they fear are too 'comic booky' than Marvel, and those elements, and their films in general don't work. Marvel, for the most part, just puts the characters on screen and it works. There's absolutely no reason Marvel should use the Fox model for Doom.

Please no Doctor Doom name change just keep it Doctor Doom and don't deviate we don't need to deal with this, the people that call it stupid will see the movie anyway
The people that care are so small they are less than 1/10000000th of the movie going population and it's not like it will matter anyway. Since Doctor Doom will be so badass he will earn that name

Marvel won't be as embarrassed by these properties when they are trying to put them to film.

Dont worry guys. This not Fox anymore. Marvel wont be ashamed to embrace and do its most prized villain absolute justice.

Stuff like having a cloud called Galactus will be a thing of the past too. The cosmic side bout to blow up.

The cosmic side started with a talking raccoon and tree, so a character called "Doctor Doom" won't be as absurd.

The cosmic side started with a talking raccoon and tree, so a character called "Doctor Doom" won't be as absurd.

Yeah, they really put the whole issue to rest straight out of the gate by embracing those 2. When I first heard they were doing Guardians I thought they can’t get away with doing a talking raccoon lol, but I was well and truly proved wrong and Rocket is bloody awesome!

When rumors started coming out about Marvel Studios doing an Avengers movie I was convinced that Thor would be left out of the lineup. At the time the few superheroes we got onscreen were almost always "grounded" in comparison to their comicbook counterparts, and my thinking was a human like Wonder Man or perhaps an android like Vision would replace the space-god as the muscle on the roster. Glad to be wrong.

It didn't really do justice to the Red Skull.

Nor Obadiah Stane/ Iron Monger. In the comics he completely ruined Stark's life, stole his fortune and drove him back to the bottle. He's not really a first movie villain.

They could easily have used someone else like the Guardsman or a proper version of Crimson Dynamo since Stane wasn't really like his comic counterpart at all but essentially a different character.

Imo a talking raccoon is less ridiculous than a bad guy that just happens to have the name Doom.

https://www.houseofnames.com/doom-family-crest

Origins available: English, Scottish

The Anglo Saxon name Doom comes from when the family resided in an area that was described by a downward slope. The surname was originally derived from the Anglo Saxon word "dun" which means "a hill".

Doom early origins

The surname Doom was found in Sussex. Another branch was located in Roosdown in Devon.

Doom settlers in United States in 19th century:

John B. Doom who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850

http://forebears.io/surnames/doom

ca7e7hY.jpg

I think it must be mostly people who have led a sheltered life who have never heard of names like Doom, Strange, Kilgrave or Kilgore who think these sound unrealistic or corny, even though they exist in real life.

ca7e7hY.jpg

The only thing I could say about the Doom surname is that maybe it's not as widely distributed in Eastern Europe as other parts of the world. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

But look how common it seems to be in the US. It also is around the area of France and Germany.

Of course, Victor Von Doom could have ancestors from other parts of the world who moved to Latveria from Germany or the United Kingdom.

Besides, isn't his surname Von Doom, not just Doom?

The name is still very uncommon and it is very unlikely that the biggest opponent to the world's superheroes would just happen to be a Doom or Von Doom.

On the other hand, when we choose to enjoy a scifi-story, we accept that the world of the story is going to have advanced science. Given that, I find it all too believable that someone would do cruel experiments on animals. That makes Rocket's existance easier to take than the unlikely odds of Doom's name.

The name is still very uncommon and it is very unlikely that the biggest opponent to the world's superheroes would just happen to be a Doom or Von Doom.

On the other hand, when we choose to enjoy a scifi-story, we accept that the world of the story is going to have advanced science. Given that, I find it all too believable that someone would do cruel experiments on animals. That makes Rocket's existance easier to take than the unlikely odds of Doom's name.

Why is it unlikely?

First off, Doom is a real name. I just posted a graphic above of the worldwide distribution of that name.

And second, it's not like the word "Doom" automatically equates to being one's biggest opponent. It's not like his name is Dr Evil or Dr Villain or even Dr Opponent.

I guess Marvel should also change their upcoming female solo film too? Instead of Captain Marvel, who just happens to be done by Marvel Studios, they should call her something different? And the character Mar-Vell? He should have a different name too, given how unlikely these are?

Also, it's not uncommon for people to live up to their names, either first names or surnames. Names are more than just names but can become identities sometimes indicating the type of person they become or the profession they choose.

You think audiences will have a problem excepting the villain is named Doctor Doom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"